Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Heavy loving weekend. Buried my sister-in-law, who's been in my life for most of it (30 plus years). Cancers a bitch.
Got together with family - lots of laughing, lots of crying, and lots of drinking. I feel a little better about it, but poo poo still sucks.

Anyways, go hug your loved ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
2017 please end soon. You've been pretty ok to me but to family, friends and AI you've been a shitbird of immense proportions.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Siochain posted:

Heavy loving weekend. Buried my sister-in-law, who's been in my life for most of it (30 plus years). Cancers a bitch.
Got together with family - lots of laughing, lots of crying, and lots of drinking. I feel a little better about it, but poo poo still sucks.

Condolences. :(

:cry:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

Danish AI goons, could you recommend me a self-service car wash in or around Copenhagen - preferably touchless? I can't seem to find a single one.

It's also super hard to find 98 fuel here, the only place that seems to have it is the occasional Shell; Circle K and the others seemingly never do.

You don't seem to have PMs, and I've been neglecting this thread for far too long, but:

Self serve car wash: I believe there's one out in Ølstykke or something. It's attached to a Shell. Definitely on Frederikssundsvej.

98 octane: Shell V-Power is AFAIK your only bet. There used to be a dude who maintained a list of all the places you could get 98, but I've never seen it anywhere else but Shell.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wrar posted:

2017 please end soon. You've been pretty ok to me but to family, friends and AI you've been a shitbird of immense proportions.
We said the same thing in 2016 and 2015 and...

Life continues for most of us, but people pass every year. Hug your loved ones every chance you get, hope for the best, and take care of yourself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Can't wait for 2017 to end. Current company I'm consulting for has a manager I can't stand, medical insanity all year, and a US administration that is making me paranoid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Chatted with a support agent last night about my Spectrum Internet modem not providing DHCP or routing. Basically, I couls only connect one machine, and it got an external IP address (76.x.x.x) rather than a something in the same range as the modem.
After a bit of back and forth, the fellow finally understands what I'm bitching about, and confirms that when you opt out of the WiFi feature of the modem ($5/month extra - modem is free), they don't just, you know, disable the WiFi radio - they turn off everything, and put the modem in bridge mode. You have to use an external router. Nice of them to mention that in any of the manuals or guides - NOT.
Fortunately, I happened to have a Netgear WiFi router that I was previously using as a WAP, before I got my Ubiquiti, so I just reset it back to factory defaults and it connected right up and did it's thing.
Now the whole house is enjoying 100Mb. Next: convince AT&T to cancel service.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My Amazon story is I ordered Blade Runner on Blu-ray because my wife wanted to see it before we went to see the new one in the theater. The delivery kept getting pushed back, and two months later I finally got it and the new movie is out of the theaters now lol.

Guess I'll be watching them both at home :v:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

bolind posted:

You don't seem to have PMs, and I've been neglecting this thread for far too long, but:

Self serve car wash: I believe there's one out in Ølstykke or something. It's attached to a Shell. Definitely on Frederikssundsvej.

98 octane: Shell V-Power is AFAIK your only bet. There used to be a dude who maintained a list of all the places you could get 98, but I've never seen it anywhere else but Shell.

Thanks! The car is getting filthy from all the drives I've been doing, I've been enjoying doing the local sections of the Marguerite Route. Keep forgetting to take pictures though.

PMs should work now that I've turned them on :)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Dear hiring managers: we are not in the post-recession slump anymore.

Just had a (quite short) phone interview with an Intuit reseller looking to fill a technical support position. Not really sure what would possess someone to look at my resume - with over 14 years of relevant to the position, almost uninterrupted work history, including two years of enterprise support with HP - and schedule an interview for an entry-level position they were hoping to fill at $13/hour.

Only wasted about 10 minutes of my lunch break, but for gently caress's sake take some HR courses, reject clearly non-entry level resumes and/or clearly state what you're looking for in your job postings.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Just had a (quite short) phone interview with an Intuit reseller looking to fill a technical support position. Not really sure what would possess someone to look at my resume - with over 14 years of relevant to the position, almost uninterrupted work history, including two years of enterprise support with HP - and schedule an interview for an entry-level position they were hoping to fill at $13/hour.

Only wasted about 10 minutes of my lunch break, but for gently caress's sake take some HR courses, reject clearly non-entry level resumes and/or clearly state what you're looking for in your job postings.

I've had this happen twice this week: I have 10 years of IT experience and worked for various big name companies. Plus I'm a veteran :911:

No, I don't want to do desktop support for $12/hr.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My wife dealt with that a lot when she was looking for a job, funny how "entry level" also tends to entail a long list of requirements, and because they use the term "entry level" they are somehow not obligated to pay anything but poo poo wages for a position that needs experience.

It must work though if employers keep doing it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife dealt with that a lot when she was looking for a job, funny how "entry level" also tends to entail a long list of requirements, and because they use the term "entry level" they are somehow not obligated to pay anything but poo poo wages for a position that needs experience.

It works because people become desperate.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Delusional. Companies have become delusional.

I was heavily recruited for a major hotel company who in nominally were trying to fill an IT director position. Well and good, but what they were really looking for was an entire team of people rolled up into one body and offering pay equal to 1/4 of a director.

I told them good luck with that, I'm not your guy.

This was 18 months ago and they're still interviewing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Lightbulb Out posted:

I would qualify this with "worked because people became desperate."

I had a cold call from a technical recruiter end of October looking to fill a senior level position. Client had a pay ceiling of $17/hour, and they wanted a four year degree, multiple certifications and 5-8 years of experience. The recruiter admitted they hadn't been able to fill the role for months because of the low pay and she was going to tell the client they'd have to raise the pay ceiling or lower their expectations.

A week later the posting was still active but with "senior" removed from the title, and minus the four year degree & 5-8 years experience requirements. I think employers are slowly getting the message that things aren't so bad anymore that anyone will take any position that pays barely enough to not qualify for food stamps.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

Delusional. Companies have become delusional.

I was heavily recruited for a major hotel company who in nominally were trying to fill an IT director position. Well and good, but what they were really looking for was an entire team of people rolled up into one body and offering pay equal to 1/4 of a director.

I told them good luck with that, I'm not your guy.

This was 18 months ago and they're still interviewing.

18 months? that simply means they dont really need someone to do that job! :v:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

18 months? that simply means they dont really need someone to do that job! :v:

You only need to fill the role of a whole team because they burned through the folks covering while the position was unfilled.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Any recommendations for comfortable walking shoes that can breathe, and don't look too stupid? I've been wearing top siders for years and never had a problem, but they started killing my feet the last time I was on vacation months ago. I'm also pretty sure I permanently ruined a pair earlier this year by wearing them when it was 90 degrees and humid in Costa Rica, they never stopped smelling after that. I'm debating some pair of Skechers, I don't think they look too bad but my wife thinks they're horrible. They do look like they have more support than sperrys though.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

monsterzero posted:

You only need to fill the role of a whole team because they burned through the folks covering while the position was unfilled.

This is the correct answer

Word on the street is 'the team' consists of contractors who are 'too expensive'

edit: Also - 'This ship doesn't need a captain, we've already got a whole boat full of people'

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 28, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MomJeans420 posted:

Any recommendations for comfortable walking shoes that can breathe, and don't look too stupid? I've been wearing top siders for years and never had a problem, but they started killing my feet the last time I was on vacation months ago. I'm also pretty sure I permanently ruined a pair earlier this year by wearing them when it was 90 degrees and humid in Costa Rica, they never stopped smelling after that. I'm debating some pair of Skechers, I don't think they look too bad but my wife thinks they're horrible. They do look like they have more support than sperrys though.

I have a couple pair of Sketchers and they fit the bill...except they get stinky fairly easily. The memory foam insoles seem to absorb and trap every bit of moisture they come across. The upper part breathes nicely too :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In happier news my sister finished her last round of chemo and seems to be free and clear. Obviously it'll be an ongoing thing but for now things are good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sketchers fall apart way too fast imo, terrible fuckin shoes for the money

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
All the new knit or mesh upper shoes do wonders for foot odor for me.
I get support from using the right insoles, never relying on the stock shape of the sole.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Siochain posted:

Condolences :smith:

I have much lighter news. Amazon placed a new order for one of the items, a huge SD card, and gave me 20% off as a refund for my trouble.

Except the reorder they made used a third party seller, as Amazon themselves are OOS. And the third party seller has theirs for $76 and mine was $49.99. They took the 20% off if the $76, and just charged my card the difference, $10.81. $76 x 0.8 - 49.99.

:wtc:

Heads will roll.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

This, so much.
Why is it so hard for them to at least post a salary range, so I don't waste both of our time?

There's that, too. Oh, college degree in CS, Cisco certified, and 5 years of experience in every system known to IT, $14/hr? Good luck with that.

Lightbulb Out posted:

For $12/hr I will do something a lot less stressful than IT.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

In happier news my sister finished her last round of chemo and seems to be free and clear. Obviously it'll be an ongoing thing but for now things are good.

Good to hear, man. gently caress cancer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Condolences :smith:

I have much lighter news. Amazon placed a new order for one of the items, a huge SD card, and gave me 20% off as a refund for my trouble.

Except the reorder they made used a third party seller, as Amazon themselves are OOS. And the third party seller has theirs for $76 and mine was $49.99. They took the 20% off if the $76, and just charged my card the difference, $10.81. $76 x 0.8 - 49.99.

:wtc:

Heads will roll.

Man, did you just get hold of a newbie monkey, or what? I'm impressed with the level of SNAFU here.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

Reebok Distance 2.0 are not stupid looking (in grey at least), excellent airflow, good shock absorption, decent (but not fantastic) support. I find them comfy as gently caress. Etnies Scouts are great too, disco now I think though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Enourmo posted:

Good stuff!

Needed some good news in this drat thread. :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

Darchangel posted:

For $12/hr I will do something a lot less stressful than IT.

What Darchangel said. Why would I stress myself the gently caress out for $12hr when I could go to Chik-fil-a and fry chicken for the same amount with literally no stress and free chicken sammiches.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What Darchangel said. Why would I stress myself the gently caress out for $12hr when I could go to Chik-fil-a and fry chicken for the same amount with literally no unbelievable amounts of stress and free 3/4 price chicken sammiches, if your manager is kind and lets you eat on shift at all.

Fixed, based on my experience at steak n shake a million years ago, as well as more recent reports from the trenches

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Homophobia helps relieve stress.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Work chat: we've lost 4 seasoned employees this year (with 2 more getting promoted into non-field jobs), and have been completely unable to replace them, because our board/ceo/hr (take your pick, if not all of them), is still in denial about wages and benefits. Two more are scheduled to retire next year, and we're already down at least a 5-man crew, even figuring in the 3 completely green new hires.

We're going to catch absolute hell if we get an ice storm this winter.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Reebok Distance 2.0 are not stupid looking (in grey at least), excellent airflow, good shock absorption, decent (but not fantastic) support. I find them comfy as gently caress. Etnies Scouts are great too, disco now I think though.

Ah poo poo I forgot I had a pair of Etnies years ago that were really comfortable, I should look into them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I worked at Noodles and company as my first job in the states and it owned bones

“75% off” aka free if you make it yourself food and unlimited resources to eating a massive variety of food plus whatever creation you came up with with all the options, surrounded by cute girls, and only kind of stressful during rushes or if your coworker was busy snorting heroin off the noodle prep table in the back

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Work Chat: I have 12 days of work left this year before our company goes into the yearly 2.5-week break for Xmas (free vacation! No one generating backlogs of work because we're all out!) and I'm pretty happy about that.

If only it didn't accompany every single little 'minor' project everyone has been dreaming up all year and wants done before the break landing in my inbox...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

Fixed, based on my experience at steak n shake a million years ago, as well as more recent reports from the trenches

I worked at KFC frying chicken when I was a kid and it was the most stress free fun job I've ever had :shrug:

[e] plus I ate whatever the hell I wanted too, and took chicken home daily.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 29, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I worked at KFC frying chicken when I was a kid and it was the most stress free fun job I've ever had :shrug:

[e] plus I ate whatever the hell I wanted too, and took chicken home daily.

Dream job.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
A guy at work had a heart attack today and I used the AED on him and he came back to life. It was weird.

He blacked out while driving a forklift with his foot on the gas and hit a semi truck about 3 feet from the fuel tank. Could have been much worse.

I dunno, I don't post here much and y'all don't know me but I had to tell someone. People keep telling me I did a good job and saved his life but it feels weird. I don't like being the center of attention and I feel like I just followed a few directions and pushed a button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
drat dude, good job!

• Locked thread