Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

CommonShore posted:

From reddit:

I'm sure the imgur comments are delightful but I'll let someone else look.

What I like about examining older stories is that we can look at history and fables and realize that the past was really hosed up and didn't give women agency even in stories. When we look at folklore tale #69 we realize that forcing a kiss on someone or raping them is horrible so we modify the story to give the woman agency. Then we can have stories like The Fifth Element (bear with me here) that make declarations of love as equal as older folklore tales that used a sleeping woman or rape as the reason for why they lived happily ever after.

poo poo changes. We don't look at wars of conquest as the natural order of things anymore so why should we look at folklore and think that we should still be able to make out with someone without their consent. The only people who get bent out of shape about it are salacious dill holes that mutter "Well, I mean there's nothing else to be done hehehhehehehe, I guess I have to RAPE her to dispel the curse!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
No surprise that the Princes are resorting to that sort of thing - they probably have a lot of difficulty finding someone considering they probably smell terrible after loving all those corpses. They just got lucky and found one that was actually not dead.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Thank you for explaining the Veritas thing. Thought it had something to do with the Verrit Twitter thing. Maybe it does? :tinfoil:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bombadilillo posted:

Implied consent exists in relationships too anyway. You can walk up behind your wife and kiss the back of her neck and give her a spank. If she's not into it you stop.

These are basic human functions that redditors can't understand. Along with the idea of being in a relationship where someone wants you to do stuff to them, wholly unfathomable.

The people who don't understand consent are ironically really touchy when it comes to their own consent- they often tend to be physically possessive of their stuff (flip out if a roommate borrowed their egg beater even though they cleaned it and put it back afterward) and often pretty drat homophobic as well. I mean if they woke up to a guy kissing and fondling them I'm sure they would panic and freak out so why wouldn't a woman in that situation? Of course the big thing here is that they are unable to connect between the two things or show empathy for others.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I think that the point they want to make is that nonconsentual sexual contact is good for women and it helps them.

I'm friends with the artist, and someone asked him if the joke is how the Prince shouldn't have been considerate

He responded: "I intended the joke to examine how dark/creepy the premise of a celebrated children's fairy tale is."

Womp womp

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fables are neat, and talking about how hosed up they are though a modern lens is played out attention seeking behavior

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

hawowanlawow posted:

fables are neat, and talking about how hosed up they are though a modern lens is played out attention seeking behavior

No

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why don't you give your spiel to your bored uncle at christmas dinner?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Perhaps there are multiple types of critique that can be employed with respect to analyzing media!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mak0rz posted:

Comas cured by kisses from strangers: a thing that is real and happens in real life

A wealthy man of high status seriously considering the personal agency of a sleeping woman? Now that is a fairy tale!:rimshot:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Perhaps there are multiple types of critique that can be employed with respect to analyzing media!

yeah, maybe one that's less fuckin played out

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah, maybe one that's less fuckin played out

From where I'm standing, the position of the social lens is constantly shifting, thus continually adding nuance to the interpretation of older stories, but if that's not how you feel, that's fine. I just feel like this same line of reasoning could be used to torpedo, say, most feminist critiques of literature.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Everyone in Greek mythology was a monster. Like, the actual monsters were more trustworthy than the Gods and heroes.

loving Jason, man.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

From where I'm standing, the position of the social lens is constantly shifting, thus continually adding nuance to the interpretation of older stories, but if that's not how you feel, that's fine. I just feel like this same line of reasoning could be used to torpedo, say, most feminist critiques of literature.

I doubt even the most passionate people in academia want to read another critique of a fuckin fairy tale

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rick_Hunter posted:

Then we can have stories like The Fifth Element (bear with me here) that make declarations of love as equal as older folklore tales that used a sleeping woman or rape as the reason for why they lived happily ever after.

Corben tries to kiss Leeloo while she's sleeping and she pulls a gun on him for trying that stunt.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Corben tries to kiss Leeloo while she's sleeping and she pulls a gun on him for trying that stunt.

"Care to translate?" "Oh, she said, 'Never without my permission.'"

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Volcott posted:

Everyone in Greek mythology was a monster. Like, the actual monsters were more trustworthy than the Gods and heroes.

loving Jason, man.

To be fair, if Jason wasn't such a poo poo we wouldn't have Medea, the baddest bitch ever to have a starring role in a tragedy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Werong Bustope posted:

To be fair, if Jason wasn't such a poo poo we wouldn't have Medea, the baddest bitch ever to have a starring role in a tragedy.

She also had a rad Christmas movie :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

hawowanlawow posted:

Calm down, edgelord.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bombadilillo posted:

Implied consent exists in relationships too anyway. You can walk up behind your wife and kiss the back of her neck and give her a spank. If she's not into it you stop.

These are basic human functions that redditors can't understand. Along with the idea of being in a relationship where someone wants you to do stuff to them, wholly unfathomable.

No sir, I get consent forms signed in triplicate before I even hold my SO's hand. No false claims against this guy! :smuggo:

Some idiots think this is how consent is "supposed" to work

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I stopped reading before it all apparently went to poo poo plot-wise (the last one I bought was Arabian Nights and Days, which I liked), but I liked Fables the graphic novel series. They had some neat ideas based on the myths in question, even if it sometimes got really weird, like Goldilocks shagging (now full grown) Baby Bear.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a prince, they let you do it. You can do anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hawowanlawow posted:

I doubt even the most passionate people in academia want to read another critique of a fuckin fairy tale

Why not, if you want to exam shifting societal trends they make a great jumping on point, especially with how fairy tails themselves have changed over the years based on said trends.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Werong Bustope posted:

I think she'd rather have a non-poo poo husband and intact children, personally, but being rad as hell is a good consolation prize.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why not, if you want to exam shifting societal trends they make a great jumping on point, especially with how fairy tails themselves have changed over the years based on said trends.

because I'm sure it has been done a million times this year already

I said it was played out from my very first post, and y'all keep acting like I'm saying it's irrelevant and not just boring as gently caress

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hawowanlawow posted:

I said it was played out from my very first post, and y'all keep acting like I'm saying it's irrelevant and not just boring as gently caress
and you keep posting like it's not the most played out whinging in the known universe

take your own advice and shut up

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

and you keep posting like it's not the most played out whinging in the known universe

take your own advice and shut up

see, couldn't y'all just make this post from the beginning instead of putting words in my mouth? this guy has a spine at least

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Volcott posted:

I think she'd rather have a non-poo poo husband and intact children, personally, but being rad as hell is a good consolation prize.

I dunno, cutting up relatives was kinda her gimmick. Stone cold.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

hawowanlawow posted:

You know that you don't really have to care if other people critique old stories with a modern lens.

hawowanlawow posted:

see, couldn't y'all just make this post from the beginning instead of putting words in my mouth? this guy has a spine at least

Oh gently caress off.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

hawowanlawow posted:

Great, now seriously, shut up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

Oh poo poo sorry, guess I was confused because I personally find it kind of interesting and responded as such, but next time I'll just tell you to

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hawowanlawow posted:

Everything has been done a million times, who loving cares about petty poo poo like that

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

fuckin played out
but enough about your posting.

https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/935335673380397056

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol I think I hit a nerve

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Or you got on our nerves :D

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

lol I think I hit a nerve
"hmm yes, they're all agitated by my being a completely boring shithead, time to claim they're triggered or something" *strokes neckbeard pensively*

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
god bless america

Grraarrgghh posted:

This is the best thing

my favorite guy in that tweet
https://twitter.com/illMakeit/status/831128450169700354

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

"Care to translate?" "Oh, she said, 'Never without my permission.'"

I love the tone she uses. She's not scared, confused, or even surprised. She's loving pissed, and repeats herself slowly like you would to an impaired child that doesn't understand why you can't write on the walls with poop or sexually assault sleeping women.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Eric Trump is pretty dumb.
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a1d98b8e4b00c8a328dbce1?ncid=APPLENEWS00001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Eric trump is exactly as dumb as he looks, it's incredible