Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

again apropos of nothing

quote:

“We so obviously despise them, we so obviously condescend to them,” the conservative social scientist Charles Murray, who co-wrote The Bell Curve, recently told The New Yorker, speaking of the white working class. “The only slur you can use at a dinner party and get away with is to call somebody a redneck—that won’t give you any problems in Manhattan.”

“The utter contempt with which privileged Eastern liberals such as myself discuss red-state, gun-country, working-class America as ridiculous and morons and rubes,” charged the celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain, “is largely responsible for the upswell of rage and contempt and desire to pull down the temple that we’re seeing now.”

That black people, who have lived for centuries under such derision and condescension, have not yet been driven into the arms of Trump does not trouble these theoreticians. After all, in this analysis, Trump’s racism and the racism of his supporters are incidental to his rise. Indeed, the alleged glee with which liberals call out Trump’s bigotry is assigned even more power than the bigotry itself. Ostensibly assaulted by campus protests, battered by arguments about intersectionality, and oppressed by new bathroom rights, a blameless white working class did the only thing any reasonable polity might: elect an orcish reality-television star who insists on taking his intelligence briefings in picture-book form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stone cold posted:

:rolleyes:

minorities are to blame for nazis being monsters by calling them monsters

Of course not. Just that dehumanizing Nazis still ends up hurting minorities because that's how hosed our society is.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Of course not. Just that dehumanizing Nazis still ends up hurting minorities because that's how hosed our society is.

yeah just like world war 2 we should have humanized the nazis and let them murder millions of jews beacuse they're just people caught in a bad place

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

if a minority saying "gently caress nazis, they're monsters" makes someone more sympathetic to nazis, they were never going to be loving allies anyway

jesus christ

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Ich bin ein Fickjunge, der Nazi-Abschaum und meine eigenen Fürze humanisiert.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Jesus gently caress you're a dumbshit. Don't you even think two seconds about what you're saying before you post?

And yet you actually don't have anything valuable to say yourself.

NewForumSoftware posted:

yeah just like world war 2 we should have humanized the nazis and let them murder millions of jews beacuse they're just people caught in a bad place

Again, you can understand your enemy is human and still ruthlessly kill them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

stone cold posted:

again apropos of nothing

Apropos of apropos of nothing I got seriously bored of Bourdain this year and quit watching his show. Seems like I was on the right track.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Koalas March posted:

I also think a lot of the strife is caused by each individuals definition of "monster"

Yeah, this is basically the entire source of this kind of dumb argument.

vvvvv well, except for this I guess

Trabisnikof posted:

Because it leads to a cycle of dehumanization that only makes things worse for those being oppressed currently and dehumanization isn't healthy for humans who engage in it.

There's a pretty huge difference between people dehumanizing oppressors (especially if the people in question are part of the oppressor's victim group) and people dehumanizing minorities who haven't done anything to them. Like, even if you objected to the former, it doesn't make sense to compare those two things.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

you’re such a good ally, yes you are

yes you are

who’s a good ally

go get the ball

go get it!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

lol

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Again, you can understand your enemy is human and still ruthlessly kill them.

actually it's way easier to kill people if you dehumanize them

in fact, the military does this explicitly for that exact reason

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

Apropos of apropos of nothing I got seriously bored of Bourdain this year and quit watching his show. Seems like I was on the right track.

lol yeah he got a bad case of the white

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

Fick die Polizei! Komme direkt aus der U-Bahn.
Ein junger Nigga hat es schlecht, weil ich braun bin
Und nicht die andere Farbe, also denkt die Polizei
Sie haben die Autorität, eine Minderheit zu töten
Fick diese Scheiße, weil ich nicht derjenige bin
Für einen Punk-Motherfucker mit einem Abzeichen und einer Pistole
Schlagen und ins Gefängnis geworfen werden
Wir können uns in der Mitte einer Zelle bewegen

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Nobody is even close to saying that sort of tripe, and you're gross for implying it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, I mean, call a nazi a monster and you'll start voting Trump before you know it.

Trabisnikof posted:

And yet you actually don't have anything valuable to say yourself.

You literally equated people who dehumanize muslims and people who dehumanize nazis, pal.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Nobody is even close to saying that sort of tripe, and you're gross for implying it.

I'd rather be "gross" than enable fascists like yourself and the rest of the liberal nonviolence squad

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
A lot of nazi allies in uspol.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

Fick die Polizei! Komme direkt aus der U-Bahn.

XD

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
This whole "don't dehumanize nazis" discussion is especially hilarious considering that the same people who want us to feel bad about the nazis constantly fetishize minorities and practically consider them to be vassals under their protection.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

This is like when I get into fights with centrists in real life.

The truth is not in the middle, nazis are bad. You're not getting the truth because you watch CNN and Fox News and split the difference in opinion.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

NewForumSoftware posted:

I'd rather be "gross" than enable fascists like yourself and the rest of the liberal nonviolence squad

That's funny, I'm pretty sure I've openly advocated for killing Nazis. If you're going to just tilt at windmills all afternoon, at least make sure they're the right ones.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

That's funny, I'm pretty sure I've openly advocated for killing Nazis. If you're going to just tilt at windmills all afternoon, at least make sure they're the right ones.

:ironicat:

Talmonis posted:

I'd argue that outliers such as Buffett, Soros and Gates are doing a half-decent job of it.

reminder that you are not an ally

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Talmonis posted:

riddle me this, kiddo

Koalas March posted:

what is the point, goal or endgame in telling someone that their view of their oppressor is wrong?

what is the point, goal, or endgame of telling me that the people who want me dead are *~*just human beings*~*

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

NewForumSoftware posted:

why the gently caress would you care about this? who cares about this point? what are you even saying?
Don't get hung up on killing people?

Blah. You are probably right, I just get confused in these arguments, they seem to imbue 'humanity' with some ineffable mystic quality.
Sorry for getting hung up on semantics.

Edit
I think watching Ghost Dog puts me in the mood to meditate on the semantic nonsense.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
USPOL is clear. If you mess with their vidyagames, they’ll shoot you dead.

Edit:this post is facetious

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Democrazy posted:

USPOL is clear. If you mess with their vidyagames, they’ll shoot you dead.

I...what?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Talmonis posted:

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/935607134057828359

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Koalas March posted:

riddle me this, kiddo

I didn't say that your view of your oppressor is wrong and apologized that I came off that way. I said that I think it's important to not let people who aided and abetted their rise to power to get off so easily. "Oh, I'm a racist fuckstick who votes hard R so I can poo poo on minorities, but I'm not a Nazi since I don't just scream the N-word at passing motorists." The right in this country uses "Nazi" as an easily pilloried scarecrow to hide their crimes behind. "Monster" doesn't have the same impact. Again, just in my opinion.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

When all else fails, liberals will just cover there ears and yell about how they're The Adults In The Room™

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Again, just in my opinion.

if you have to end your arguments this way chances are you're wrong and you know it

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

GlyphGryph posted:

Koalas March posted:

Nazis are not simply "broken people" they are fascists who want to kill me, my family and other already vulnerable minorities.

They want to commit genocide. They want to do harm to people. They revere those who came before them and have committed such atrocities.

They deserve neither humanizing nor compassion.

And here it is. The comforting lie.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Talmonis posted:

I didn't say that your view of your oppressor is wrong and apologized that I came off that way. I said that I think it's important to not let people who aided and abetted their rise to power to get off so easily. "Oh, I'm a racist fuckstick who votes hard R so I can poo poo on minorities, but I'm not a Nazi since I don't just scream the N-word at passing motorists." The right in this country uses "Nazi" as an easily pilloried scarecrow to hide their crimes behind. "Monster" doesn't have the same impact. Again, just in my opinion.

cool

they’re still nazis you idiot

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

I was just making a joke about how this began with a discussion tied to net neutrality and is now about whether it’s okay to commit violence against Nazis.

It’s not really serious.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

stone cold posted:

nazis are monsters

how is this hard
seriously

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
People in this thread are really loving bad at trying to apply "The Banality of Evil" to the real world.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Democrazy posted:

I was just making a joke about how this began with a discussion tied to net neutrality and is now about whether it’s okay to commit violence against Nazis.

It’s not really serious.

are you condoning political violence, democrazy

i'm lead to believe that's bad by top thinkers in the field

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

NewForumSoftware posted:

if you have to end your arguments this way chances are you're wrong and you know it

Or, and try to follow me here, I give a poo poo what KM thinks, and don't want to appear to be declaring my viewpoint superior to her's. Because making good people feel like poo poo isn't something I like doing, however inadvertantly.

stone cold posted:

cool

they’re still nazis you idiot

Yes, they're nazis. But people who let them in power get to say "I wasn't a nazi" and absolve themselves of all guilt because "Nazi = Monster". gently caress that. They're responsible because Nazi's are people that they could have dealt with. They could have tried to put a stop to the open racism amongst them. They could have not voted for a ranting piece of trash. They could have done all manner of legal, non-violent things before they came to power, and violent things afterward. They were responsible for the nazis, just as Trump supporters are responsible for his neo-nazi followers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Democrazy posted:

It’s not really serious.

Oh, sorry, the thread moves real fast and I missed that context.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Or, and try to follow me here, I give a poo poo what KM thinks, and don't want to appear to be declaring my viewpoint superior to her's. Because making good people feel like poo poo isn't something I like doing, however inadvertantly.

maybe you shouldn't try to humanize people who are hell bent on eradicating minorities then?

it really isn't that hard

Talmonis posted:

But people who let them in power get to say "I wasn't a nazi" and absolve themselves of all guilt because "Nazi = Monster". gently caress that.

just lol if you think this absolves anyone of anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Koalas March posted:

They are not men. They are monsters.

I don't disagree but I always think of this when people say that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RuB3gT8t0

• Locked thread