Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Virtual Captain posted:

lol if Chris just killed the golden goose. You could have just sold more Javelins, discount carriers, or the 42nd ship that punches above it's weight. Walk this back immediately unless you have to bet the farm.

I once heard a saying: you can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once. What we are witnessing is skinless sheep tearing off ragged chunks of their own flesh and hucking them at the farmer.

Edit: Sheep DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Enchanted Hat posted:

The biggest land claim is 8km x 8km - 64 square kilometres. How are you even going to use all that space? The game can't handle a fraction of the disgusting spacepoor serfs that you would need to farm that kind of land.

I think skyrim is only like 37 square km lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Enchanted Hat posted:

The biggest land claim is 8km x 8km - 64 square kilometres. How are you even going to use all that space? The game can't handle a fraction of the disgusting spacepoor serfs that you would need to farm that kind of land.

lol if you think CIG didn't just pull numbers out of their rear end with no thought involved.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

TheAgent posted:

hahaha those are hilarious

NO NO ROBERTS WOULD NEVER BETRAY US, HAVE FAITH AND STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE GOON FUD CAMPAIGN

*a week later*

um I guess I was wrong? lol! anyway 3.0 is amazing

people are already rushing to delete their old reddit posts about land claims lol

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Xarbala posted:

I'm glad CIG gave the thread one last big cup of coffee before Christmas

Xarbala posted:

Xarbala posted:

circa 2016. God Bless you Christ Roberts.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Guys

GUYS

HOLD ON

Technically he's right, people are buying a jpg of fake land.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Pro-tip for getting refunds. Mention Zyloh and they will basically give you a refund within a couple days.

Because, well, he is a loving idiot.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
https://clips.twitch.tv/ThoughtfulPhilanthropicGooseRaccAttack

Baron impressed at people sending him messages on stream

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
You know what's strange?

I have a gut feeling that the negative backlash once this gets picked up by press too will be enough for them to take this back (and offer some ships maybe for compensation to those who already paid).

I. Don't. Want. This. To. Go. Away.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

big nipples big life posted:

lol if you think CIG didn't just pull numbers out of their rear end with no thought involved.

Wait. 8×8 km rings a bell… as in a CryEngine map limitation bell. :magical:

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Sabreseven posted:

What will the (as yet unmade) police do once they are called? Blow your ship up and leave the wreckage to block the land anyway. :D

There has been absolutely no thought other than "MILK THE NERDS" put into this. :D

And the flaming remains of the pirate ship land on the oil refineries you built on your plot-of-land-that-you-didn't-buy-from-CIG and turn the refineries into scattered, charred debris. But, your land is secure.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I guess you have to hire players on spectrum who would in no way whatsoever gently caress you completely over and just take your poo poo

I hope they release a prison planet where 95% of all the playerbase would reside, I would actually play the gently caress outta a chronicles of riddic style prison FPS

The Riddick games are loving awesome tbh.

I feel if you added a little "Manhunt" style gameplay into the mix then it would be fun creeping around the citizens prison planet, bring some fear to these broken souls. :)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Game can't even handle the dream of having enough AIs in the dream of the plot of farmable land in the dream of a habitable biosphere planet.

TheAgent posted:

I hope they release a prison planet where 95% of all the playerbase would reside, I would actually play the gently caress outta a chronicles of riddic style prison FPS
That would literally be Smart World, filled with goons or those victimized by the whales until they become goons. No one would come back from Smart world undereked.

Ideally prisoners would come out with nipple tattoos is what I'm saying.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tippis posted:

The inevitable consequence of Robert's vision.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

It has a certain beauty to it. I mean, a square patch on a planet's surface? Not a circle, centered on the staff. No. Not a piece of conformal mesh bounded by co-ordinates, no. A loving square.

We should start up a support group for their programmers.

Spiderdrake posted:

Ideally prisoners would come out with nipple tattoos is what I'm saying.

Go on :allears:

AbstractNapper posted:

I have a gut feeling that the negative backlash once this gets picked up by press too will be enough for them to take this back (and offer some ships maybe for compensation to those who already paid).

They just attached themselves to every dumb internet landrush forever.

It's glorious.

Pantsbird posted:

They've managed to leverage the griefers and brokenness of the game for profit. :stare:

In 4km square parcels sure. I forget the name of the specific point in Anarchy Online, but one of the spawn points was on the edge of a PvP zone, and you'd have a bunch of people lined up hoping to get a lucky shot at someone rolling through.

Like the way that cane toads will sit under lights and eat the stunned insects.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 28, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Bayonnefrog posted:

They have no idea why they're doing and scrambling as the money dries up. Phenomenal.

It's brilliant.

We thought they would sell plots of land. Instead they sell a land claim-stick. There are infinite claim sticks, and they don't have to define or advertise actual land plots. But it's more genius than than; they are selling griefer protection.

They are selling crimestat protection within a square of terrain. So when people are tired of being griefed, they will buy a claim-stick. This doesn't offer any material protection, but at least the people that kill them or break their stuff within the claim will get a crimestat.

When settlement building is in (lol), people will be able to build a spawn point building. This will allow them to bypass griefers that congregate around the stations and ports.

They will find safety, segregated from all the meanies in the multiplayer 'verse. The more dangerous the universe is, the more people will seek this protection. They've managed to leverage the griefers and brokenness of the game for profit. :stare:

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

The inevitable consequence of Robert's vision.

So a CryEngine instance per land claim. This will definitely be scalable. We just need one of MoMA's blade servers at Amazon for each land claim.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Anyone who thinks that this is going to sink them or that they're going to walk back the land claims is kidding himself. This is loving Star Citizen, the backers are going to swallow this like they've swallowed everything else that CIG has forced down their gullets.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

It has a certain beauty to it. I mean, a square patch on a planet's surface? Not a circle, centered on the staff. No. Not a piece of conformal mesh bounded by co-ordinates, no. A loving square.

We should start up a support group for their programmers.

Go on :allears:

Real trick will be for someone to calculate the number of 8x8 Km squares and figure out how many facets that creates on one of their moons.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Space is metric just ask NASA.

Good to have a tangential reference to space in this increasingly shopping/leisure/FPS oriented game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Well, I was right again. On Nov 22nd, I wrote that CIG had a plan to start selling land.

I even used Something Jones transcripts in that post.

So today they have started selling land. In a broken tech demo which has very little gameplay mechanics and NO gameplay loop.

As I said back then, I suspected they were going to do this, which is why they prioritized barren moons, then prematurely released 3.0 to PTU. I just didn't think they would be brazen enough to do it at this point in time. It's unbelievable.

Some people were saying they would actually do it today, but I was still skeptical as it would be completely insane. Just like when they released 3.0 to PTU.

This is all desperation.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Well, I was right again. On Nov 22nd, I wrote that CIG had a plan to start selling land.

So today they have started selling land. In a broken tech demo which has very little gameplay mechanics and NO gameplay loop.

As I said back then, I suspected they were going to do this, which is why they prioritized barren moons, then prematurely released 3.0 to PTU. I just didn't think they would be brazen enough to do it at this point in time. It's unbelievable.

Some people were saying they would actually do it today, but I was still skeptical as it would be completely insane. Just like when they released 3.0 to PTU.

This is all desperation.
lol

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Turns out if you call everything, some of it might actually come true

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

D_Smart posted:

This is all desperation.

lol

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Enchanted Hat posted:

Anyone who thinks that this is going to sink them or that they're going to walk back the land claims is kidding himself. This is loving Star Citizen, the backers are going to swallow this like they've swallowed everything else that CIG has forced down their gullets.

:yeah:

D_Smart posted:

This is all desperation.

I am on ecstasy right now. Thank you Chris, your desperation is delicious.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

D_Smart posted:

This is all desperation.

D_Smart posted:

No. It's bullshit. Don't listen to him.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Wuxi posted:

Turns out if you call everything, some of it might actually come true

I call that CIG will go broke in 2018, 2019, or 2020. I also call that they will last at least until 2021.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
This reminds me the the good old days of Second Life Safari, when people would buy up plots to put down whatever dumb roleplay building they wanted... And goons would build a goatse right next to it. And then charge through spawning flying dicks until the servers crashed.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

We're now at 1:43 in The Hall of the Mountain King.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

D_Smart posted:

No. It's bullshit. Don't listen to him.

Wow, I completely forgot about that.

Quote the poo poo out of this 100% guaranteed legal action if you want

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Well of course they're selling beacons to claim land rather than the land itself. Letting people actually pick out plots would require making maps of worlds with things on them, so might as well kick that can down the road.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

TheAgent posted:

no no, you'll find he called it like every other thing related to star citizen

Called it

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I dunno whose insiders are worse at predicting things, dereks or momas

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Enchanted Hat posted:

Yup, no way they'll back down on this and Citizens are really dumb. They probably have space bungalows already planned, what the hell else are you going to do with all the sweet land?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The greatest thing this thread has taught me is how to spell guarantee btw

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Morning, I just woke up.

So, what's happening in Star Citizen land?

Daztek posted:

Both have 21% VAT

No loving way.

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

This is good for Star Citizen.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
:discourse:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dusty Lens posted:

We're now at 1:43 in The Hall of the Mountain King.

:laffo:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The whale rips off the in disguise goon's shirt to reveal the up-down signs upon his nipples and remarks, through gritted teeth, 'You're from smart world. These have been rubbed!'

Then the goon walks sideways and falls through the world to escape the rain of boot decals coming for him.

Enchanted Hat posted:

Well the reality seems to be that with each progression in their insanity a few whales either deplete their ability to believe or draw from their bank accounts. A fair number of the reddit posts come off as having a vested interest, either in the black market or as paid shills, so I'm not sure how valid that is other than the slow loss of funding. While people believe in an ELE I kinda feel like this is just going to grind down to a slow, whimpering stop as the last studio closes and Roberts is long since in the wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
derek reversing his stance on land claims faster than the majority of backers itt