Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I've seen some posts on here about super robust solutions for record cleaning. I've got a relatively small collection (around 100 records), so those seem like overkill for my needs. Is the Spin Clean a good choice? It's in my price range and seems to have good reviews on Amazon, but maybe there's something even better out there that I'm not aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The prolific Australian rockers King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, tomorrow they're giving away their newest album in mp3, WAV and...

quote:

3. VINYL MASTERS & ARTWORK:
The vinyl master is a completely seperate master to CD & Digital masters. There are physical limitations to what the head of the lathe can produce when cutting vinyl. For this reason these files will not sound normal on generic Hi Fi speakers. Only use this master if you wanna press vinyl. It will contain a Side A and a Side B WAV file as well as a PQ log for both sides with metadata for the pressing plant. In this .ZIP file you will also find a record cover template and a folder full of artwork ideas you can use to make your own back cover, spine and inner sleeve.[/url]

Seems some people are doing limited press runs, including fellow goon weirdojace.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

Never forget that time Sears had an amazing selection of everything at half the price of Amazon. It was a glorious run.

Wait, when was this?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

spookygonk posted:

The prolific Australian rockers King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, tomorrow they're giving away their newest album in mp3, WAV and...

Seems some people are doing limited press runs, including fellow goon weirdojace.

Finally, a goon project worth supporting

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Schremp Howard posted:

Never forget that time Sears had an amazing selection of everything at half the price of Amazon. It was a glorious run.

I got the LITA morphine-cure for pain for like 14 bucks. That was pretty cool.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Every place I've seen selling records that isn't an actual record store just has a mediocre section of overpriced classic rock reissues and a couple of new pop albums. It's dire.

I liked it when Target had codes in the CDS that let you get a vinyl copy for free.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

camoseven posted:

I've seen some posts on here about super robust solutions for record cleaning. I've got a relatively small collection (around 100 records), so those seem like overkill for my needs. Is the Spin Clean a good choice? It's in my price range and seems to have good reviews on Amazon, but maybe there's something even better out there that I'm not aware of.

I’ve got one and it gives great results - for that many records it’d be silly to buy anything more expensive.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Since absolutely nothing interests me on BFRSD, I went and got this:

https://twitter.com/stsphonoco/status/931573172855627776

Less than 10 left now. :choco:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

Since absolutely nothing interests me on BFRSD, I went and got this:

https://twitter.com/stsphonoco/status/931573172855627776

Less than 10 left now. :choco:

No one has heard any of the music past stage 1.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ESG rules and whoever wants to go through the hassle of this website should def download.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

PMG has just reissued this and you should buy it immediately

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

So this just dropped...

https://makeupandvanityset.bandcamp.com/album/syncro-data067

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
got the limited edition tender vinyl and some cassettes

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Got this for a great price. Vinyl is vg+ just some hairline scuffs.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Not my copy but for the people who asked about SFFB it does exist.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Ok that's rad and I am back to peak jealousy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

What do you do when you get a record with a too-tiny-hole? Usually I can get it on and after a few listens the hole has adjusted, but I just got one that I can’t even get on a first time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Asnorban posted:

What do you do when you get a record with a too-tiny-hole? Usually I can get it on and after a few listens the hole has adjusted, but I just got one that I can’t even get on a first time.

Bring out the knife/file/scissors.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, I just usually open the blade on my multitool and twist it around the hole a few times. Usually works well enough.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Thanks. Don’t love having to do it, but got it in.

A lot of effort for a Dr. Seuss record my kid chose and then lost her poo poo when I couldn’t play it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Asnorban posted:

Lots of lube and foreplay.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Do picture discs really sound bad or is that a myth?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I heard it was just older ones, but I don't own any to confirm.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I bought that RSD Blade Runner picture disc because it looked so pretty but it don't sound pretty at all.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

caligulamprey posted:

I bought that RSD Blade Runner picture disc because it looked so pretty but it don't sound pretty at all.

That's actually the one I'm thinking about replacing, and yeah, it kinda sounds lovely but I didn't know if that was a picture disc problem or a Blade Runner soundtrack problem.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Peas and Rice posted:

Do picture discs really sound bad or is that a myth?

So, generally speaking, here's what's going on with picture discs.

At the center, you have a vinyl base.

Then you put an image layer on top of that (cardboard of whatever).

And then you put a very thin piece of clear vinyl on top of that. And that's where the music lives. And that generally ends up with a much noisier record, and more imperfections for whatever reason.

Picture discs are really just novelties.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
they look cool

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sound is fine on the ones I have. The one thing that sucked about picture disks, back in the day, was not getting a slip or gatefold with it. Luckily, a lot of picture disks come with the jacket now, so go wild.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Peas and Rice posted:

That's actually the one I'm thinking about replacing, and yeah, it kinda sounds lovely but I didn't know if that was a picture disc problem or a Blade Runner soundtrack problem.

The red vinyl Audio Fidelity pressing from a few years ago sounds great. I would go so far as to say it's one of the finest pressings of anything in my entire collection. Unfortunately they were a limited edition. It was repressed a couple more times but those were also limited and they are very expensive now. There are a couple recent Warner Bros pressings that came out after the Audio Fidelity which are still pricey, but considerably less expensive than the Audio Fidelity release. I don't know if they are derived from the same sources or lacquers as the AF pressings though.

edit: Some label I've never heard of announced a reissue but the release date is listed as "TBD". http://www.twoheadeddog.com/vangelis-blade-runner-soundtrack-lp/

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 28, 2017

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/935679001095491584

Ship to Shore is seriously my poo poo.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I seriously considered buying that but then remembered I never played nor knew about that game. Seeing it, I’m not sure I made the right decision

Thanks for the great photos!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any 8-bit Konami is pretty much a safe blind purchase. Looks like they’re doing an entire series of soundtracks, they just put up preorders for a 10-inch Kid Dracula next.

Edit: If you regret not picking up Bayou Billy, there's a red/white splatter variant for sale at the Yetee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o39EpwvQblE

Ballz fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 29, 2017

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Scum gently caress came in today. It’s real. I can’t even believe it.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Thank you for the kind words! Great pics, too!

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Does anybody have any recommendations for cleaning fluid for use with the squeaky clean or does diluted dish soap work just as well?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Chill Callahan posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for cleaning fluid for use with the squeaky clean or does diluted dish soap work just as well?

I've used this formula and it works great.

6 parts Distilled water, 1 part 90% isopropyl alcohol, and a couple drops of laundry detergent free and clear of fragrance or dyes.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I would like to start digitizing my records before my collection starts getting too large and I never want to start. I have read that Audacity is the go-to program for doing this but was wondering if anyone had other suggestions or advice for using Audacity. I use Ableton Live and could just record there but the biggest problem I see with that is I could only export as a .wav file and would need to convert after.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

You can find free wav converters all over the place. I personally use CDex but that’s kind of an old program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
Some codes (mostly Warp Records stuff I guess) and my gnarly cuticles: