Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If you don't poke Rotom when he is sad you are a) a monster and b) missing out on so much free money from roto bargain, and roto prize money, that I legitimately feel sad for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

the_steve posted:

You can win one from the prize corner in Goldenrod, but, if you're in a hurry to power through the game, then that's obviously not ideal.

Its also pretty easy a dratini one out of the pokewalker to use early on in the game, if you still have that peripheral.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

someone awful. posted:

If you don't poke Rotom when he is sad you are a) a monster and b) missing out on so much free money from roto bargain, and roto prize money, that I legitimately feel sad for you

I have all the bargain/prize money/catch I could ever use! this fucker is so needy!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Oxyclean posted:

I looked up First Impression because I wasn't fully sure what the deal was beyond seeing Golisopod use it. Farfetch'd is literally the only other pokemon that can get it beyond stuff like smergle. How weird. Like why only farfetch'd?

Well it might be a "seize the moment"/"make a good first impression" gag based on Farfetch'd and its' origin ("A duck that brings its' own onion" is meant to be a really fortunate occasion that you shouldn't pass up. I.e, using a really strong priority Bug move on the first turn.) But that hardly makes sense because it only makes sense with the American name of the move.

But the gimmick of Farfetch'd only works in Japanese. So I have no loving clue.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

even more reasons farfetch'd the flightless bird is the best pokemon

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Mizuti posted:

I actually have all the means to do that and I've collected every possible apricorn ball combination available in HGSS (except for 3 stubborn species that never swarmed). I've numbed myself to the awful minigame.

3 to 4 transfers, though, I can't stand. Pal park kills any interest I have in it.

This must mean Safari Zone in the Safari Balls are the most difficult thing to obtain now, specifically the Gen III exclusives like Pinsir and Heracross

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Amppelix posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the late totems and Necrozma are actually too hard. A pokemon game has unfairly hard bosses. There's a sentence I would never have imagined myself uttering.

The problem lies with the totem auras they get, I think. When you combine the speed boost with the offense boost, you get a monster that just destroys anything you send out before you can so much as pull off a single good move. You then have to resort to weird tactics like PP stalling, spamming X items, or AI cheese to win. If you could actually outspeed the boss with your fast mons, or safely tank at least that one hit with the defensive ones, you could start setting something up like debuffing it, statusing it, etc. and proceeding to win. But since both are realllly hard to do unless your team is just plain high-leveled, you're kinda just left with no outs.

Of course, since this is still Pokemon you can always grind your way past any problem but that's the boring and bad answer. That should not be required.
My solution has been Cursing them with my Mimikyu, and then spreading the damage around my mons until they drop.

EDIT: Also I tried to catch a severely weakened, sleeping, female as opposed to my male Mimikyu currently out Eevee in my single love ball... and she broke out after the third wiggle. UNFAIR! :(

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 29, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I found that as of ORAS, synchronize works 100% of the time on gift pokemon in the unidentified egg group, which is extremely specific but it means that getting a shiny Poipole with the right nature is entirely feasible.

Bee dragon :swoon:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

ROFL Octopus posted:

I found that as of ORAS, synchronize works 100% of the time on gift pokemon in the unidentified egg group, which is extremely specific but it means that getting a shiny Poipole with the right nature is entirely feasible.

Bee dragon :swoon:
You just have to soft reset a lot, right? Like, a lot.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

PetraCore posted:

You just have to soft reset a lot, right? Like, a lot.

Yeah it’s still an extremely goony undertaking but one I’m willing to try

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

ROFL Octopus posted:

I still think that's slightly less mind-numbing than shiny breeding can be, since you don't have to run around. Might actually be quicker.

Is there still a post-game cosmog in the ruined temple/lake place? I might try to get a shiny cosmog. Or is that still shiny-locked? Ah... and I couldn't Syncronize it. Might have to try with Poipole after all.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

The Golden Gael posted:

This must mean Safari Zone in the Safari Balls are the most difficult thing to obtain now, specifically the Gen III exclusives like Pinsir and Heracross

Yeah, there are not many Pokémon in RSE/FRLG exclusive Safari Balls in circulation. I had a few imported by chance, but I'm not going to bother chasing the others.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just glad they upped Necrozma's catch rate a whole lot for the story in US/UM. Now I can put my chunky laser-shooting friend in a luxury ball where he belongs.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there a good guide for pokemon I should have in my party? Or does it not really matter that much? I didn't really get into any of the Pokemon other than Blue and Red so a lot of the pokemon I don't know. Seems like Hawlucha is good, Starter obviouslly. Pikachu/Riachu?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

E2M2 posted:

Is there a good guide for pokemon I should have in my party? Or does it not really matter that much? I didn't really get into any of the Pokemon other than Blue and Red so a lot of the pokemon I don't know. Seems like Hawlucha is good, Starter obviouslly. Pikachu/Riachu?

Use whatever you think is cool. There’s over 800 pokemon for a reason.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

E2M2 posted:

I mean, there's hundreds of them and a lot is up to personal taste. Your starter is always a good bet, bit otherwise feel free to use whatever you think is cool and it should mostly work out.

Unless you think Luvdisc is cool. Don't use Luvdisc.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ROFL Octopus posted:

I suddenly need a modest or timid synchroniser, apparently.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PetraCore posted:

I still think that's slightly less mind-numbing than shiny breeding can be, since you don't have to run around. Might actually be quicker.

Is there still a post-game cosmog in the ruined temple/lake place? I might try to get a shiny cosmog. Or is that still shiny-locked? Ah... and I couldn't Syncronize it. Might have to try with Poipole after all.

Cosmog's still shiny-locked.

Full list of the shiny-locked mons in USUM

Zygarde
Cosmog line
Necrozma
The Tapus
The Totems from Oak

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Zore posted:

Cosmog's still shiny-locked.

Full list of the shiny-locked mons in USUM

Zygarde
Cosmog line
Necrozma
The Tapus
The Totems from Oak
Dammit, I love the shiny Cosmog lines. I guess I'll soft reset for a shiny Poipole, then, since I like putting in obscene amounts of effort to get shinies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

E2M2 posted:

Pyukumuku

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

E2M2 posted:

Almost any Pokémon family will do okay for the main campaign. If you want, you can browse over the Pokémon that exist, find ones that look interesting to you, and get a goon to trade them to you. (In any case, Hawlucha is absolutely great for the job.)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

E2M2 posted:

There's no Pokemon you should have in your party, but here's my opinions on a few of the new ones.

Pikipek line is surprisingly good with a wide move pool. It can also learn Brick Break

Raichu has an Alolan form that's pretty great.

Mudbray with the Stamina ability are great. A very good horsey.

Cutiefly line is fast and is a good special attacker.

Stufful is a super cutie that is good and strong.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

the champion battle theme is very powerful

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Alolan Muk is a solid choice, he's slow as dirt but fabulously patterned. He was probably the most reliable fucker on my Moon team.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

E2M2 posted:

Primarina, and also five other guys.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Primarina, and also five other guys.

And the other guys are all primarina too

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

E2M2 posted:

The real answer is Dunsparce.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

E2M2 posted:

I swapped between around 18 or so pokemon for my party this time around playing the game and all of them were good and cool friends that I love and ended up pulling their weight, even the ones that were bad. So really just go with whichever looks cool.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nessa posted:

Raichu has an Alolan form that's pretty great.

Alolan Raichu is unfortunately also made of paper when pretty much everything knows one of bite/crunch/pursuit/suckerpunch.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Alolan Muk is a solid choice, he's slow as dirt but fabulously patterned. He was probably the most reliable fucker on my Moon team.

Alolan Muk is absolutely fantastic. Built like a tank, hits like one, great movepool, resists a bunch of common types, and is only weak to Ground. He's pretty slow but has more than enough bulk to make up for it.

In terms of cool 'mons you can pick up early game, Murkrow and Gastly in the graveyard are really great. Unfortunately they got rid of Misdreavus in USUM :(
I honestly recommend just opening Serebii and following the routes as you go through them so you know what can appear. That's what I've been doing, and just picking up cool favorites on the way instead of really planning anything.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 29, 2017

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

ROFL Octopus posted:

the champion battle theme is very powerful

Easily one of my favorites in the series

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Why did they change the name of wimp out to emergency exit when wimpod evolves to golisopod? The ability still does the exact same thing right?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it's because golisopod is trying to be cool and buff but is still the same coward as it always was, it's just flavored as a "tactical retreat" now instead of being a scaredy boy

it's real good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hangedman1984 posted:

Why did they change the name of wimp out to emergency exit when wimpod evolves to golisopod? The ability still does the exact same thing right?

Yeah, because its a fun little character thing. Wimpod got all big, strong and imposing but is still the same scared bug inside :3

Its not like there aren't a ton of other renamed abilities. Vital Spirit/Insomnia, Cloud Nine/Airlock, Mold Breaker/Terravolt/Turboblaze, Huge Power/Pure Power, Rough Skin/Iron Barbs and Filter/Solid Rock. :shrug:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Fritzler posted:

My Exeggutor survived (barely) and OHKO him on return with draco meteor. My houndoom one shot togedmaru (I think with his Z-move) who I know a lot of people had trouble with, but I had a lot of problems with Lurantis. I didn't have air slash on my vikavolt yet (dunno if I even had vikavolt), but lurantis had a fighting move and outsped my houndoom which just wrecked him. I re-played that one several times and think I just got lucky from the AI making bad decisions.
Update: I put the game down for a day or two between the dragon totem and Necrozma. Necrozma one shot all of my pokemon except for Vaporeon who got off one shadow ball. This battle might be very difficult for me.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Does Necrozma have smart AI, or does it do things at random? I'm not convinced that I wasn't somehow tricking it at firing off ineffectual Photon Geysers at my Zoroark and getting an immensely easy victory that way. I'm almost upset that I somehow missed out on this very stressful boss battle.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alxprit posted:

Does Necrozma have smart AI, or does it do things at random? I'm not convinced that I wasn't somehow tricking it at firing off ineffectual Photon Geysers at my Zoroark and getting an immensely easy victory that way. I'm almost upset that I somehow missed out on this very stressful boss battle.

yeah if that's the case then my Pangoro Rowsey is just going to chew it to death.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alxprit posted:

It has smart AI, and falls for that Zoroark trick like every trainer does.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Alxprit posted:

It definitely tries to hit weaknesses if it can. Zoroark just confuses it because the AI doesn't understand how Illusion works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Good on me, then. Zoroark also made the normally stressful Dexio Mega Evolution tutorial battle a joke. It was a difficult investment but totally worth it in the end.