Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
giving more options to the other, engaged yet historically ignored half of your fanbase is cool

gentleman thieves are cool

gentlewoman thieves are even cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

i love mona :3:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I hope atlas never adds femc and gay romance just because I don't want the people who have been crying about it non stop for years to be happy

i too hate it when people other then straight men get representation in videogames

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Persona 4 and 5 both had pretty bad gay stereotype characters so I wouldn't hold my breath unfortunately

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I hope atlas never adds femc and gay romance just because I don't want the people who have been crying about it non stop for years to be happy

This is never a good stance no matter how many goons stupidly try to jump on it

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Would someone like Shido even want to say a high school girl overpowered him?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That said they were also able to do it for P3 because that wasn't a new game from the ground up, they had a framework they could already go off of.

It's not the same as doubling the amount of work, but unless you're just changing the character model and voices and keeping everything else exactly the same it would be a significant chunk of development time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

TheKingofSprings posted:

That said they were also able to do it for P3 because that wasn't a new game from the ground up, they had a framework they could already go off of.

It's not the same as doubling the amount of work, but unless you're just changing the character model and voices and keeping everything else exactly the same it would be a significant chunk of development time.

Well I mean P5 kind of took forever to make anyway. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Well I mean P5 kind of took forever to make anyway. :v:

It would be forever + 6 months for a game that was already really expensive to develop

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

That's really weird, dude

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dehry posted:

Shido will continue to hate teens regardless since they're adults natural enemy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Someone had never seen those videos of high school girls fighting

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dehry posted:

He didn't even say Joker did. Remember he went completely behind the scenes after the assault and privately had the courts ruin Joker. He wasn't tied to the case at all.

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
being able to punch Totally Not Shinzo Abe in the face as a girl would be extremely rad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bring back Satomi Tadashi IMO. He had more positive portrayals of LGBT people in P2 than we got in P3-5.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd rather them just make P6 with a female MC then an afterthought addition like p3p.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

She's not really an afterthought though, the game with her is better in more than a few ways

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

She's not really an afterthought though, the game with her is better in more than a few ways

Most of the quality of life things are just things they learned from p4 not things that were added due to a female protagonist.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm talking about poo poo like "a likable protagonist" and "not feeling like the characters lack agency" and "the pacing not feeling hosed."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's really cool how as the girl you can hang out with Yukari almost instantly when it takes till like a bit over halfway as the boy

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I'm talking about poo poo like "a likable protagonist" and "not feeling like the characters lack agency" and "the pacing not feeling hosed."

How did the female protag change the pacing or character agency at all. What are you talking about.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

She doesn't, but just by virtue of having more active dialogue options she papers over those flaws.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I would prefer they didn't make the next FeMC a pedophile so I support not going the P3P route.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

She doesn't, but just by virtue of having more active dialogue options she papers over those flaws.

We're going to have to agree to disagree then because that just made the flaws more obvious to me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

I would prefer they didn't make the next FeMC a pedophile so I support not going the P3P route.

I see your post and I raise you the OP of this very thread.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Do not date Ken.
Punk :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what flaws were more obvious as the femc? I can't think of anything that was worse or felt off about that route except ken

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's not really a "flaw" that becomes more apparent per se, but the clumsy way they handled the alternative version of Shinji was really baffling. "Oh yeah you can totally save him from dying, no, really." *ends up in a coma until the epilogue*

I get that doing an alternative version of events with him being there would've been much more difficult to write for than just having the FeMC but it's the laziest and most boring way possible.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You know that was purely for husbandoism.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

The worst part is that P2: IS was more progressive in many ways than P3-P5 with Ginko backing off Tatsuya if you decided to go with Jun instead.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

It's not really a "flaw" that becomes more apparent per se, but the clumsy way they handled the alternative version of Shinji was really baffling. "Oh yeah you can totally save him from dying, no, really." *ends up in a coma until the epilogue*

I get that doing an alternative version of events with him being there would've been much more difficult to write for than just having the FeMC but it's the laziest and most boring way possible.

They made Shinji better though since in the original P3 IDC about him at all other than Aki being sad for a few months.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dragonturtle posted:

The worst part is that P2: IS was more progressive in many ways than P3-P5 with Ginko backing off Tatsuya if you decided to go with Jun instead.

Ehhhhhhh, well, when I've ever read interviewers about that and if Persona would ever have anything like that again in the series, (I think there was one in the Persona 4 guide book and I forget where else, some game review site like Kotaku or Siliconera), the only reason they give is "that (route with Jun) was put there Japanese girls. We were testing how our female fans would react".

Basically, never look into anything into a Japanese game with social aspects in the gameplay, because there is always more and it always worse.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Still i want to date yusuke.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Catalina posted:

Ehhhhhhh, well, when I've ever read interviewers about that and if Persona would ever have anything like that again in the series, (I think there was one in the Persona 4 guide book and I forget where else, some game review site like Kotaku or Siliconera), the only reason they give is "that (route with Jun) was put there Japanese girls. We were testing how our female fans would react".

Basically, never look into anything into a Japanese game with social aspects in the gameplay, because there is always more and it always worse.

These things aren't mutually exclusive, Tatsuya and Jun's relationship could have been specifically to pander to fangirls and still be a more progressive depiction of gay people than anything else in the series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Catalina posted:

This seems like a bad tack to take for multiple reasons.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

Still i want to date yusuke.

:same:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Motto posted:

This seems like a bad tack to take for multiple reasons.

they're not 100% wrong and this is from someone who likes JRPGs/VNs/anime/manga. Japanisms make tired and sometimes I need to take a break from it to recover.

Alder fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 29, 2017

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I guess I should have written more to specify that I was half joking; I just assumed that being in the MT thread provided enough context. If it helps, I bought a PS4 just for Persona 5, have 60 hours on my save file, and I consider it to be a worth every penny.
However, it is true that the more you understand Japanese, the more :stare: cultural-isms you run across, like design notes like "I put more bare leg in this picture of the 14-year-old here because this CG is supposed to be a reward" or Normal Mode being named "Boy Mode" and Easy Mode being named "Girl Mode".

TurnipFritter posted:

These things aren't mutually exclusive, Tatsuya and Jun's relationship could have been specifically to pander to fangirls and still be a more progressive depiction of gay people than anything else in the series.

True, that's a good point, and I didn't think of it that way. (Or rather, maybe it was just harder to see that through my saltiness.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TurnipFritter posted:

Honestly, P2 tackled a buncha issues far better than P3-P5 have done. It's a shame the game itself has not aged all that well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Catalina posted:

Another interview had Tadashi convincing Kaneko that Tatsuya/Jun was the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Catalina posted:

as a gay man I'd just like to thank Japanese girls for all this good M/M content they're apparently bringing into the world just by existing