Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ColdPie posted:

Even in 2017, 5.7 inches is not "smaller".

Here are two phones with a 5.7 inch display

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Well poo poo. Just downloaded the wireless update for my Blu Life One X2, and now that it's rebooted, it won't accept my PIN. I am 100% positive I am using the correct PIN, and other people are having this problem. Is there any way around this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/IntoBlu/comments/7g76ku/after_recent_update_to_blu_life_one_x2_it_wont/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Now that I've had my Pixel 2 XL for a month, the chance of correctly registering any of my fingers on the fingerprint reader seems to be right around 33%. It's just low enough that I lock myself out of the phone half the time. It has the same chance of loving up on any enrolled fingers, and if I'm coming in from the cold, just washed my hands, or try to grab the phone from the shower, the odds go to 0%

Anyone else being driven insane by the fingerprint reader or just me?

nimper posted:

Here are two phones with a 5.7 inch display

I've asked this before and no one had an answer... how do phone manufacturers calculate screen sizes with poo poo like that Essential where the corners are rounded and there's a cutout for the camera, etc. Do they just "pretend" the corners are squared off and measure diagonal or do they use some other method?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 28, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Now that I've had my Pixel 2 XL for a month, the chance of correctly registering any of my fingers on the fingerprint reader seems to be right around 33%. It's just low enough that I lock myself out of the phone half the time. It has the same chance of loving up on any enrolled fingers, and if I'm coming in from the cold, just washed my hands, or try to grab the phone from the shower, the odds go to 0%

The fingerprint read works flawlessly, what the gently caress is wrong with your hands

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The fingerprint read works flawlessly, what the gently caress is wrong with your hands

He might have tiny girl hands

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I had a problem with the fingerprint reader on my Nexus 6P when I was skateboarding a lot. The griptape would gently caress up my fingers enough to make it not work. Do you work with your hands a lot?

Making multiple profiles of the same finger seems to be the best method to make it more consistent.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CRAYON posted:

The griptape

lol

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I must be outside of the loop. Typically you grip a skateboard so you can do sick tricks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CRAYON posted:

I must be outside of the loop. Typically you grip a skateboard so you can do sick tricks.

Dont bring urmom into this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I've asked this before and no one had an answer... how do phone manufacturers calculate screen sizes with poo poo like that Essential where the corners are rounded and there's a cutout for the camera, etc. Do they just "pretend" the corners are squared off and measure diagonal
Yes

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Zero VGS posted:

I've asked this before and no one had an answer... how do phone manufacturers calculate screen sizes with poo poo like that Essential where the corners are rounded and there's a cutout for the camera, etc. Do they just "pretend" the corners are squared off and measure diagonal or do they use some other method?

I mean, you know this already i'm sure but "screen size" that everyone refers to is just the diagonal measurement. Nobody reports screen surface area, which is what you're talking about.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, whenever or not the edges of the display are rounded doesn't really factor into diagonal measurement. The bisecting the corner is the same either way.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

Well poo poo. Just downloaded the wireless update for my Blu Life One X2, and now that it's rebooted, it won't accept my PIN. I am 100% positive I am using the correct PIN, and other people are having this problem. Is there any way around this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/IntoBlu/comments/7g76ku/after_recent_update_to_blu_life_one_x2_it_wont/

Some years back Google gave away a special I/O edition galaxy tab 10.1. At one point Samsung released an update for it that screwed up the encrypted partition, and that manifested itself in the exact same way. The only solution was a factory reset. =[

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, whenever or not the edges of the display are rounded doesn't really factor into diagonal measurement. The bisecting the corner is the same either way.

e: nm

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Some people actually work with their hands (typing does not count) and therefore do not have the pristine feminine hands likely shared by the majority of the posters here. My fingerprint reader works with maybe 1/10 of the time due to the various cuts and scrapes on my fingers at any given moment.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rickets posted:

Some people actually work with their hands (typing does not count) and therefore do not have the pristine feminine hands likely shared by the majority of the posters here. My fingerprint reader works with maybe 1/10 of the time due to the various cuts and scrapes on my fingers at any given moment.

Lol wear gloves and maybe you can enjoy smooth baby skin like me

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, I wore off my prints from palming too many basketballs.

My hands are soft from counting money all the time, I have no idea why the scanner is loving up so much

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Congrats thread, you've unearthed new minutia to quibble about.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Zero VGS just register the same finger as three separate fingerprints

Mix up the angles a lot on the second time, start with your finger slightly damp on the third

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rastor posted:

Mix up the angles a lot on the second time, start with your finger slightly damp on the third

Oh that's a good idea, I'll try that.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RZA Encryption posted:

Some years back Google gave away a special I/O edition galaxy tab 10.1. At one point Samsung released an update for it that screwed up the encrypted partition, and that manifested itself in the exact same way. The only solution was a factory reset. =[

Yep, that seems like what they're suggesting to the people that make it through the "150 other callers are ahead of you" support phone line.

So, fair warning to other Life One X2 users, do not install today's Wireless Update unless you feel like resetting your phone.

Also fair warning to everybody else, don't make my mistake and buy a Blu phone just because they're cheap.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so I think I skimmed the thread was raging about this originally, so now it's my turn. Every since the changes to Google Now / Google Feed or whatever the gently caress they're calling it this hour, it does not show things like appointments or other relevant "Now" type info at the top. You have to actually press an icon to pull up some other version of Google Now. That's dumb. Is there any way of setting it back so that "my" stuff shows above the news feed? Because if not, that's super dumb.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright, so I think I skimmed the thread was raging about this originally, so now it's my turn. Every since the changes to Google Now / Google Feed or whatever the gently caress they're calling it this hour, it does not show things like appointments or other relevant "Now" type info at the top. You have to actually press an icon to pull up some other version of Google Now. That's dumb. Is there any way of setting it back so that "my" stuff shows above the news feed? Because if not, that's super dumb.

That's how it works now, new Google Now sucks goddamn rear end, I hate it and have stopped using it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can only assume they are planning on piecing it all back together because the "My Stuff" button and all the settings and stuff are all over the loving place from a UI standpoint. It feels like Microsoft and their Settings catastrophe going on since Windows 8.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Rastor posted:

This is exactly what I did with my Pixel 2. Works flawlessly.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's how it works now, new Google Now sucks goddamn rear end, I hate it and have stopped using it.

I remember when they were first a/b testing it and they had the two separate panels and people complained and did not like it, so they added a useless third panel as well

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I do miss having baby smooth hands, I admit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Someone on Reddit tested the latest 8.1 preview with the 2XL and it looks good:

quote:

Audio Quality is fixed when recording video
The mic used to record audio is no longer the bottom front speaker but now the top edge speaker
The Unresponsive Edge issue is gone
The Camera HDR+ HAL may result in the following: double-click on the power button to launch is faster, the speed of taking a picture will sometimes be the same speed as pre-update, but more often than not, noticeably faster.
Using the mic from a Bluetooth device now works with the Google Assistant.
Navbar shows up as white more often and fades out to prevent burn-in.

e: some turbonerd made a video showing changes too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAs1NH_GNhY

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 29, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Someone on Reddit tested the latest 8.1 preview with the 2XL and it looks good:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/android-81-update-pixel-visual-core,news-26185.html
According to this, they saw a noticeable improvement in HDR+ performance with the visual core active. There are some convincing comparisons there.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Is there any reason why the assistant and Now only recognizes my main calendar and not others I'm subscribed to in the app? Makes the feature extremely useless if only a fraction of my appointments show up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Guess we're not the only ones frustrated with Google Now / Feed. https://www.droid-life.com/2017/11/28/else-misses-google-now/

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I have 1 fingerprint registered in all 5 fingerprint slots at slightly different angles and the only time it doesn't work is if my hands are wet

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've had my 2 XL fingerprint reader fail me a few times, not a big issue but it's happened often enough that I wouldn't call it perfect.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eezee posted:

Is there any reason why the assistant and Now only recognizes my main calendar and not others I'm subscribed to in the app? Makes the feature extremely useless if only a fraction of my appointments show up.

Google Assistant will work with other calendars but only on the Home, not on the phone.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
That really doesn't make any sense to me. Am I the only person to use multiple calendars or why would they omit such an essential feature?

At least I'll get to use it when I get my free mini I guess. Thanks for the info.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eezee posted:

That really doesn't make any sense to me. Am I the only person to use multiple calendars or why would they omit such an essential feature?

At least I'll get to use it when I get my free mini I guess. Thanks for the info.

You're not the only person who uses multiple calendars and if I had to hazard a guess, it's getting all the permissions on shared calendars to work properly but that's just pulled out my rear end.

The real reason is Google half-asses poo poo all the time and the hard stuff comes last or not at all.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I created a calendar just for now/feeds and toggle that on when I know I want it to appear in my feed.
It's dumb to need to have a workaround but you can work around it if you try.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

The real reason is Google half-asses poo poo all the time and the hard stuff comes last or not at all.

The Management posted:

here’s my understanding of how things work at google.

1) googler or team of decide to go off on their own and do some project, with no consideration of what anyone else in the company is doing.
2) they write something and deploy it.
3) it turns out it doesn’t work for real world customers because of a million real world considerations.
4) team is already bored and moved elsewhere, abandoning their project.

now comes the problem when there are paying customers. they can’t just be ignored because lol free service. so one of the team members is dragged off of whatever new thing they’re working on to go back and fix the thing for customers. they obviously don’t want to do this and have no incentive to get it done well, they just want to toss something out and move on. so they poo poo out something as fast as possible that kind of works but who cares if it actually meets customer needs.

and that’s how you got your migration tool.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Khablam posted:

I created a calendar just for now/feeds and toggle that on when I know I want it to appear in my feed.
It's dumb to need to have a workaround but you can work around it if you try.

Yeah, it looks like it isn't taking my Exchange work calendar, even though I've got it in my "Other Calendars" in GOogle Calendar.

Assuming I get into the habit of using "Tell Me ABout My Day," I may wind up kludging some scripts together to copy my Work Calendar Events to a more normal Google calendar every day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Essential was fun while it lasted, I guess:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/16714264/andy-rubin-leaves-essential-google-inappropriate-conduct

quote:

Essential founder and CEO Andy Rubin has taken a leave of absence from his new company for “personal reasons” following a report on the circumstances of his 2014 departure from Google. According to The Information, Rubin left Google shortly after an investigation found that he had maintained an “inappropriate relationship” with a woman who worked under him and filed a complaint to HR.

It's actually not as bad as it sounds, potentially; it appears to be the traditional corporate definition of "inappropriate relationship" and not like, sexual assault or pedophilia. Which is a win, I think?