Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
A girl I went to college with and was pretty good friends with apparently got hit by a truck this morning and died.

I found this out by seeing a Facebook post that seemed like she was leaving a job or something, then reading the rest of her wall.

gently caress. 25 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo anime goons: is My Hero Academia any good or is it a cloying One Punch Man clone?

This is a weird question on a bunch of levels.

The two shows don't have that much in common besides humor and superheroes. OPM is a gag comic where pretty much everything is about how they deliver the windup to an identical punchline. MHA is a drama about teenage superheroes, so in the sense that "yes it has emotional stakes" it's more cloying. It's okay but it's not as good as OPM.

Also there's a character whose entire personality is "tee hee sexual harassment is hysterical" in that way that treats it like quirky character flaw instead of making him a total scumbag, and while he's only a bit character that does kind of drag it down.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

A girl I went to college with and was pretty good friends with apparently got hit by a truck this morning and died.

I found this out by seeing a Facebook post that seemed like she was leaving a job or something, then reading the rest of her wall.

Sorry to hear that homie. It always hits worse when you hear about it like that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My cartoon sexual awakening was Jessica Rabbit, although that's less a sexual awakening and more like a love of tig ol' bitties awakening.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It took me a long time as a kid to understand why I liked Al Borland so much.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

K. Waste posted:

My cartoon sexual awakening was Jessica Rabbit, although that's less a sexual awakening and more like a love of tig ol' bitties awakening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_GltMkjMsM

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I'd rather watch Die Hard than A Christmas Story.

A Christmas Story loving sucks. I don't understand why people go nuts over it. Okay, it doesn't suck, but it's like mediocre AT BEST. Also the Chinese restaurant scene is horribly racist.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
A Christmas Story is great and the book of stories it's adapted from is an incredible and disturbingly hallucinogenic kaleidoscope of 20th century lifestyle memetics.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's the movie equivalent of a greeting card. It's familiar, amusing in a way that doesn't make you laugh and is mostly non-offensive and nostalgic. It's a thing to watch when you're sick of talking to your family that will get the least resistance from the group that will likely have gathered on Christmas.

I do still sort of like it though. it scratched the same itch I get from listening to Car Talk.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo anime goons: is My Hero Academia any good or is it a cloying One Punch Man clone?

It's amazing and not even close to an OPM clone. MHA is a very good example of Shonen anime, OPM is just Shonen tropes distilled down to their purest form and then played straight in this pseudo deconstruction thing

MHA is legit one of the best new manga in the last couple years if not the best period

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's the movie equivalent of a greeting card. It's familiar, amusing in a way that doesn't make you laugh and is mostly non-offensive and nostalgic. It's a thing to watch when you're sick of talking to your family that will get the least resistance from the group that will likely have gathered on Christmas.

I do still sort of like it though. it scratched the same itch I get from listening to Car Talk.

Maybe you don't laugh buddy but I still cackle at "the warm light of electric sex"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also describing literally any Shonen story as a one punch man clone is wrong because the whole point is that one punch man is a shonen stereotype character

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There are two moments I knew I would never repair my relationship with my dad

One was finding out, when I was sixteenish, that he had never seen Christmas story

The other was finding out he didn't like Ferris Bueller

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't like A Christmas Story, and I've never seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

Well we can fix the second one

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Snak posted:

FBDO is kinda lovely

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sponges posted:

FBDO is kinda lovely

Try to stop a train with your face

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Anonymous Robot posted:

MHA is to shounen what a really good cover is to music, its a very polished work that does very little new with its premise. It's not at all like One Punch Man, which is the anime equivalent of jello biafra swinging his tie around and asking if his cock is big enough to make him a star.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

glam rock hamhock posted:

The movie just feels depressing and nasty and always makes me feel off. My christmas' were often p good and rarely were they ever godawful.

Except the one where I saw The Spirit. That was kind of lame.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
A Christmas Story is a loving masterpiece you clods

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Yeah! What the hell do you guys quote to avoid actually talking to your parents on the Holidays, Four Christmases???

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Yeah! What the hell do you guys quote to avoid actually talking to your parents on the Holidays, Four Christmases???

It's a Wonderful Life.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
there should be an obvious joke about telling your parents you're gonna throw yourself off a bridge but I don't really remember the movie :sweatdrop:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

"The holidays" was never even a thing in my atheist, nominally Jewish household growing up. I've had few partners get mad at me after they got me a Christmas present and I got them nothing because holiday gift-giving isn't something I ever think about. Which also means my holiday season is incredibly relaxing since I don't have to worry about doing any Christmas shopping.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Jingle All The Way

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Dickeye, if you have the time, I'd love a sincere write up of what you get out of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I can go either way on it but I feel like there's enough stuff there that I could be swayed by a good read on it.

Edit: Also it occurs to me that Bong Joon-ho could make a powerful Jurassic Park movie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Jingle All The Way

holy poo poo, CelticPredator with an actual good film opinion

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

holy poo poo, CelticPredator with an actual good film opinion

Uh, the Alien movies rule

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cartoon Network tried to make The Iron Giant the Thanksgiving marathon movie for a couple years. I wish it had took.

One time cartoon network marathoned a weird squirrel knockoff of bugs bunny short for 24 hours. It was for April fools, but they played the same 3.5 minute cartoon on a constant loop with a scrolling text saying the squirrel had taken over the studio a la Airheads. I can't remember the name of the squirrel, I want to say Slappy Squirrel, but I think that's the sassy older lady squirrel from animaniacs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/MrPaulDuane/status/935472748972953601

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

drat bud. I'm very very sorry to hear that. :(

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, all the hate is surprising me. It's a simple, solid movie that's kind of an anthology film, a coming of age film, and a Christmas film. "Dad could change a fuze faster than a Jack Rabbit gets ready for a date".

My favorite Christmas comedy is still Christmas Vacation.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

A Christmas Story is great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

A Christmas Story is great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shoombo posted:

Dickeye, if you have the time, I'd love a sincere write up of what you get out of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I can go either way on it but I feel like there's enough stuff there that I could be swayed by a good read on it.

Edit: Also it occurs to me that Bong Joon-ho could make a powerful Jurassic Park movie.

The short version is it's air quotes secretly a movie about being seventeen and struggling to take control of your life as you reach adulthood, which always resonated strongly with me, and then factor in that I identified really strongly with Cameron as a teenager to the point where when my dad and I had our big everything changes moment I referred to it as killing the car

Also doing my big post about how ferris is imaginary and the entire day is just Cameron trying to work through his poo poo was the first time I really dug into the themes of a movie rather than the plot and realized that was a Thing so there is some nostalgia attached

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's good. It knows it's shounen and loves its clichés but works with them instead of despite them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I really enjoyed this.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Yaws posted:

How bad does it get? Should I slog through it or ditch before it gets bad?

So far I'm loving loving it. Best TV show I've seen in a drat long while.

It gets really bad, but even the worst episodes have some good moments that contribute to the mystery of Twin Peaks. Even among the bad poo poo, people disagree about which subplots are bad and good (except for James, no one like his season 2 story.) It’s definitely worth watching the whole season, don’t just skip straight to the final episode.

GonSmithe posted:

That’s loving awful, condolences to you.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bob Clark’s Christmas masterpiece is Black Christmas.

Shoombo posted:

The thing that gets me about Ferris Bueller is how well-shot it is. Tak Fujimoto (Silence of the Lambs, The Sixth Sense, Badlands) puts in way more work than an 80s wish-fulfillment comedy deserves. It also plays very well with its surreal logic and builds a world where crazy poo poo can happen; Ferris Bueller is so popular that goddamn Wrigley Field is rooting for him to get well, yet he can steal an entire parade and no one recognizes him; a man is recognizable by face and name as The Sausage King Of Chicago. It’s full of these odd character moments that really pop, something I haven’t found in any of the other John Hughes movies I’ve seen.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Yaws posted:

How bad does it get? Should I slog through it or ditch before it gets bad?

So far I'm loving loving it. Best TV show I've seen in a drat long while.

It gets really bad but you really want to sit through it for the full Twin Peaks experience. It's also quite required viewing for season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This looks cute as poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QpdpUz7Oi0

Edit I meant this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykHeGtN4m94

• Locked thread