Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

G0RF posted:

Chris Roberts knows exactly what he’s doing and what audience he’s targeting. This one is aiming right at the insecurities of his most invested backers, the ones with the most ships and the frailest egos, the ones with the most to lose. This is e-peen insurance sold to you by E-Peen Industries. Roberts wants them to fear the risks — he outlines them and frames the hopelessness of protecting what’s yours without his help.

I think this is really right on the money. From my time bumping into citizens, one thing I've noticed is that the majority of big whales are also the same people who think the PVP slider is still a thing. Chris has to know he has a huge backer-base of carebears who want to have all the big expensive shiny but not ever actually lose them. What you're describing caters to that userbase flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

ITT we're citizens brigading reddit to upvote official propaganda. This is my FUD-FIGHTING MUSIC, what's yours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4

Well, since you asked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBc02WplW0

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

G0RF posted:

It’s worse than that though. Much worse. I’m not the first to point it out but let’s give it the full attention it deserves.

Listen to this. Chris Roberts is unironically laying out the textbook case for a Protection Racket.

Now, listen to Chris Roberts pitch:
[/b]
Chris Roberts knows exactly what he’s doing and what audience he’s targeting. This one is aiming right at the insecurities of his most invested backers, the ones with the most ships and the frailest egos, the ones with the most to lose. This is e-peen insurance sold to you by E-Peen Industries. Roberts wants them to fear the risks — he outlines them and frames the hopelessness of protecting what’s yours without his help.

All but stated is the clear message, “You’ll have to sleep sometime. You’ll never be able to keep it safe around the clock. Someone could come and steal it, destroy it, and what could you do to stop them? You can’t really, not alone anyway. But don’t worry because you don’t have to. We’ve got the solution already planned, your own private security force is only a moment away. Buy the claim, place the beacon, and we’ll be there when you need us to protect all you hold dear. Otherwise, well... it’s the Wild West out there and well, it’s really only a matter of time before you lose it all.”

It is absolutely an in-game protection racket, sold by the party who controls all the rules of the Verse. They could define them any way they wanted but they chose a model that makes you vulnerable then monetizes the insecurity caused by the vulnerability they enabled.

”It’s nice to have a family. A man should tJe care, seetgat nothing happens to ‘em.”

This is a good post. First time I've seen the PvP flag being monetized in an MMO. The bonus is that this protection racket is being carried out by gangsters who are essentially really broken and glitchy robots. If this ever makes it into the game it will either be instanced (which will make backers rage, since it makes those e-wieners really floppy) or it will bring not just PC gaming, but online griefing, to a whole new level. BDGGE indeed.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Mne nravitsya posted:

They use a lot of contractors for jpeg/marketing art. I know a few of them personally, and they like the pay but hate the approval process because the goal posts never stop moving on a piece, and CIG expecta them to keep iterating on a single piece for weeks (can you light the whole thing from the other direction?) - even though they are paid on a per piece basis.

A couple have said gently caress it, not worth it, and gon back to concepting for real games with real art direction

This is why I quit doing design work. Some of my first websites or graphic assets turned into a never ending grueling slog because of the people that hired me.

Sometimes people have no idea what they actually want and they only know that what they have been given isn't good enough. So you get stuck between someone's imagination and reality and become the outlet for the customer's frustration as they try and make the two the same thing.

I legit feel bad for anyone who still has passion for creativity and art that is dealing with Chris Roberts. I've worked in exactly the same type of situation a bunch of times. That's why the leak about Chris Roberts taking an entire day to describe how a bomber jacket should look rings extremely true.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

FailureToReport posted:

I think this is really right on the money. From my time bumping into citizens, one thing I've noticed is that the majority of big whales are also the same people who think the PVP slider is still a thing. Chris has to know he has a huge backer-base of carebears who want to have all the big expensive shiny but not ever actually lose them. What you're describing caters to that userbase flawlessly.

Someone asked one of the gameplay devs how the pvp slider was coming along and the dev had no clue what the citizen was talking about. They powered through that. they can power through this.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Dude you know if we had to choose between him or you you'd lose right. Like you barely beat out Seraph and that's just because he's way too into kids, his other posting was more amusing.

This gimmick account isn't quite hitting the mark.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Virtual Captain posted:

Closest I could find: It is a soundbyte somewhere around 30 mins into an interview.

:cheers:

SomethingJones has the full transcript of that gold mine of an interview.

The Business Class ticket story is relayed by Sandi below.

quote:

Sunny:
Given the unorthodox financial structure of your company, how does that kind of structure affect a marketing strategy?

Sandi:
Uhm… well… it’s INTERESTING in terms of… I’m always very mindful of the community… uhm… *tch*… I… for exa… for example I flew to Manchester, I got this cheap, SUPER CHEAP TICKET to Manchester, and Chris was like ‘why didn’t you fly BUSINESS’ and I was like, well, I don’t know, I saw this $900 ticket and I thought well, I’ll just fly economy, um, because I don’t want the FANS thinking… and he’s like ‘well FANS don’t even KNOW, you guys you gotta like be COMFORTABLE’, I said yeah but, you know, I think um, *tch*…

Elsewhere, I think maybe in a Batgirl interview, she talks about buying different ticket types when arranging their travel to Gamescom. Chris gets Business Class and our Lady of Limited Edition Porsche flies coach with the rest of the rabble. Or so she implies anyway.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This is why I quit doing design work. Some of my first websites or graphic assets turned into a never ending grueling slog because of the people that hired me.

Sometimes people have no idea what they actually want and they only know that what they have been given isn't good enough. So you get stuck between someone's imagination and reality and become the outlet for the customer's frustration as they try and make the two the same thing.

Oh dear God, this.
:same:

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Fronts posted:

This gimmick account isn't quite hitting the mark.

What makes you think its a gimmick. Derek sucks rear end. I'd rather have the weird ex citizen dude. That's my opinion.

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

G0RF posted:

Someone attacks your base or tries to take it from you, essentially they’ll become an outlaw or criminal or wanted.

Yeah, it will totally work as described, right?

So, player-outlaw-pirate-goon, choose your griefing target:

1) rich whale with a permanent land-base, lots of real moneys 'invested' into the game, who is very afraid to loose his expensive digital property. (Maybe even a streamer :allears:)
2) some hobo squatter who did not pay for a "protection" from crobbert

:getin:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Well, I'd like to think some (!) of us are cool. Except for MoMa. He's just weird.
nope

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

AbstractNapper posted:

And furthermore Miles Eckhart looks quite constipated and the long queue of Citizens waiting to get a mission from him is not gonna help on that matter either.

That's why he goes in fetal position sometimes.

The fecal position

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yeah this is basically going to be UO 2: Griefers Bay

I approve

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Kromgart posted:

Yeah, it will totally work as described, right?

So, player-outlaw-pirate-goon, choose your griefing target:

1) rich whale with a permanent land-base, lots of real moneys 'invested' into the game, who is very afraid to loose his expensive digital property. (Maybe even a streamer :allears:)

:getin:

TheAgent posted:

I approve

I really hope they pull it off, because the amount of rage breakdown videos bound for YouTube are going to be worth their weight in Land Plots.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SCtrumpHaters posted:

What makes you think its a gimmick. Derek sucks rear end. I'd rather have the weird ex citizen dude. That's my opinion.

Harsh but fair.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Well, I'd like to think some (!) of us are cool. Except for MoMa. He's just weird.

Hi Smart. I see you constantly pegging me to say something.

Fine - I'll take the bait: Can I ask what you have to call today?

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I approve

*pickpockets a big stack of worthless ore into Agents backpack*

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Iafeth posted:

Isn't it the main reason to play games like WarFrame? If you are not enjoying grinding for a frame or weapon - what's the reason to pay for them in the first place?

There's a reason I considered Warframe a bad example. Due to the way the game is constructed, you can travel through the planets and work the story missions, get more powerful, etc., but you can do it in any warframe you want. If you don't like the starter ones, you can either grind new ones, or pay for them. The warframes are roughly analgous to classes in an RPG. Maybe you don't like the cleric/fighter/mage, so you either grind for or pay for a rogue, and then you play through the storyline with that.

Grinding for new frames isn't really the point of that game - but the more you have, the more you can change up the experience. It's one of the more reasonable monetizing models I've seen, because no matter what you buy, you're not skipping any of the experience.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

thedarkeststig posted:

@Kraiklyn_CIG For the record, and I don't know for sure if this was aimed at me though I suspect it was, but I do not at all agree that my comments fit this characterization.
"Empty ranting, venting and repetition of angst against a sale practice doesn't offer anything other than throwing salt around without it being useful/helpful."
Spectrum is insanely garbage but it sounds like Kraiklyn's been having a rough morning.

Are there many more of these? They'd make for a great "Star Citizen devs comments on Land Claim Licence drama" Reddit post

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

gently caress it. I laughed.

...but I'm still not buying your schtick. You're a loving broken-brained hypocrite who has just now discovered where the cool kids hang out. And if someone hadn't paid 10 bux so we could laugh at you, my guess is you'd still be peddling your bullshit to the clowns in your lovely YT channel.

So go gently caress yourself.

This is the Derek equivalent of smiling sheepishly, then saying NO! and giving a light playful slap, then turning away, looking down, and smiling sheepishly again.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Toops posted:

This is the Derek equivalent of smiling sheepishly, then saying NO! and giving a light playful slap, then turning away, looking down, and smiling sheepishly again.

:chloe:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Toops posted:

he is quite the minx - there is a Love Pledge storyline in there somewhere

Golli fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 29, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beexoffel posted:

1.35m - first time I notice that SC uses metric.
Is it for their European customer base? Wasn't Cryengine from Germany, so they have to match up the pixels with the millimeter scale they use to represent meters?

Why would anyone ever not use metric??

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Scruffpuff posted:

There's a reason I considered Warframe a bad example. Due to the way the game is constructed, you can travel through the planets and work the story missions, get more powerful, etc., but you can do it in any warframe you want. If you don't like the starter ones, you can either grind new ones, or pay for them. The warframes are roughly analgous to classes in an RPG. Maybe you don't like the cleric/fighter/mage, so you either grind for or pay for a rogue, and then you play through the storyline with that.

Grinding for new frames isn't really the point of that game - but the more you have, the more you can change up the experience. It's one of the more reasonable monetizing models I've seen, because no matter what you buy, you're not skipping any of the experience.

Agreed.

I know some people have really mixed feelings on Warframe as a game in terms of gameplay/grind/etc, but I feel like it's one of the fairest Free To Play models I've seen or can think of off hand. The only part of it I don't enjoy is the Mastery Ranks which force you to grind out Frames and Weapons you might not enjoy/ever use again/want in order to use some weapons or mods that you do actually want.

Outside of the mastery rank stuff, I never felt I needed to spend money on warframe at all.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Toops posted:

If I had devoted the time I spent playing video games to almost anything else, I would be a much more successful person. But when you short-circuit a video game with in-game purchases, even cosmetic, you ruin the soul of your game. There's no moral here, other than video games are for morons.

That depends on what the soul of your game is. A guy who bought Super Mario Bros in the 80s, then paid an extra $5 to skip to the end of world 8-4 would have demolished the point of the game, which is to experience it. A guy spending $10 to skip to the endboss in Wolfenstein does the same. Dropping money to skip through games like Thief, Deus-Ex, etc. defeats the entire purpose of the carefully-constructed game world and experience. It's like paying extra money at the theater to basically not sit through the 2-hour film, but get handed a spoiler sheet that tells you what happened in a few sentences.

In those cases, I agree - being able to pay for anything wrecks the game experience.

However, and this is the reason I generally oppose P2W schemes: if you know you're going to be a P2W or cash-shop heavy game, the artful construction of a good gaming experience is never worked into the game to begin with. The storylines are shallow (if they exist at all), and the sense of achievement and progression is not organically meshed into the experience, because they know their primary source of income might, as you put it, short-circuit that work. So P2W games tend to be shallow, visionless games that represent nothing more than virtual number-increasing e-peen contests.

They actually start out soulless, and stay that way, and it's something I think is slowly strangling the gaming experience. The cash-model is controversial, but I think the controversy is about the wrong things. Most argue about how you pay money to "get ahead". I argue that the cash model takes the art out of the work right from the start.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

FailureToReport posted:

Agreed.

I know some people have really mixed feelings on Warframe as a game in terms of gameplay/grind/etc, but I feel like it's one of the fairest Free To Play models I've seen or can think of off hand. The only part of it I don't enjoy is the Mastery Ranks which force you to grind out Frames and Weapons you might not enjoy/ever use again/want in order to use some weapons or mods that you do actually want.

Outside of the mastery rank stuff, I never felt I needed to spend money on warframe at all.

That's what Hydron is for.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mr Fronts posted:

I think CIG should go back to implementing functional in-game toilets, but charge US$10 for each pack of toilet rolls.

Then they can turn the three seashells into the new LTI

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

It’s worse than that though. Much worse. I’m not the first to point it out but let’s give it the full attention it deserves.

Listen to this. Chris Roberts is unironically laying out the textbook case for a Protection Racket.

Now, listen to Chris Roberts pitch:
[/b]

All but stated is the clear message, “You’ll have to sleep sometime. You’ll never be able to keep it safe around the clock. Someone could come and steal it, destroy it, and what could you do to stop them? You can’t really, not alone anyway. But don’t worry because you don’t have to. We’ve got the solution already planned, your own private security force is only a moment away. Buy the claim, place the beacon, and we’ll be there when you need us to protect all you hold dear. Otherwise, well... it’s the Wild West out there and well, it’s really only a matter of time before you lose it all.”

It is absolutely an in-game protection racket, sold by the party who controls all the rules of the Verse. They could define them any way they wanted but they chose a model that makes you vulnerable then monetizes the insecurity caused by the vulnerability they enabled.

”It’s nice to have a family. A man should tJe care, seetgat nothing happens to ‘em.”
reminds me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baOd4MLeFkM&t=1681s Cr explaining what star citizen is.
pay attention to magic hands as well.
i think i need somethingjones transcript of that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

That they're out of money.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

FailureToReport posted:

I really hope they pull it off, because the amount of rage breakdown videos bound for YouTube are going to be worth their weight in Land Plots.

The responsible adult in me is disgusted by CIG's brazen cash grab and is confident that this base-building feature creep won't ever materialize.

The goon in me can't wait for the griefing opportunities. I was an absolute psychopath in Rust, blowing up bases, camping and chainkilling, erasing tens of hours of gameplay with no regard for humanity.

Start Citizens better hope this game never comes out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

:grin:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/29/star-citizen-will-now-sell-you-virtual-land-that-you-cant-have

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-29-star-citizen-is-selling-virtual-plots-of-land-for-up-to-96

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 29, 2017

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Toops posted:

The responsible adult in me is disgusted by CIG's brazen cash grab and is confident that this base-building feature creep won't ever materialize.

The goon in me can't wait for the griefing opportunities. I was an absolute psychopath in Rust, blowing up bases, camping and chainkilling, erasing tens of hours of gameplay with no regard for humanity.

Start Citizens better hope this game never comes out.

This is the best summary of my own cognitive dissonance that I've read.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

FailureToReport posted:

Agreed.

IMO Path of Exile is the best free-to-play model I've ever seen. That game is very, very good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

This is the best summary of my own cognitive dissonance that I've read.

Star Citizen is an infinite grief engine. Every single mechanic and idea they have is easily exploited and griefable. It's probably why they haven't actually implemented and mechanics yet.

It's Pathfinder horses all over again.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

D_Smart posted:

No, if they survive (lol! they won't) long enough for ANY meaningful gameplay mechanic to make it into the game, my guess is mining licenses will follow land claims. Think about it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

"It" MoMA. He always calls "It".

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Truga posted:

Why would anyone ever not use metric??

For the same reason some are offended to know that a model working nude exists : americans are stuck one or two centuries ago with their rotten constitution.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 29, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Derek will call Toastbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Sarsapariller posted:

So I was really racking my brain to think of what SC is going to sell next because "Pride" is not a physical entity that can be exchanged for currency so really they're running out of stuff to monetize.

Since they are selling land as the "nah nah, can't touch me here trolls" safezone, then the upgrade would be your personal UEE bodyguards that respond to threat against your space chariot in 5 mins. To get 24/7 protection, please select your payment option.