Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

I don't. I GIS'd "toucan" and saw the pretty blue in a sea of orange and red toucan beaks and I said, "That's the bird for me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Look at that pretty bird!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There are people who will be broke at any income level. These people are bad with money. Feels a little bit like punching down to mock the poor, so my favorite BWM stories are mocking the foolish.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/24/budget-breakdown-of-couple-making-500000-a-year-and-feeling-average.html

Look at those sad people, owning a $1.5M house in NYC, driving a 5 Series BMW, taking three vacations a year, and keeping their kids in violin lessons. At the end of it all, they only have $7,300 in cash and $36,000 in retirement savings to show for it.

https://twitter.com/DanAmira/status...ng-average.html

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

therobit posted:

Do you know what kind of toucan it is?

Looks like the White-Throated Toucan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-throated_toucan

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

canyoneer posted:

There are people who will be broke at any income level. These people are bad with money. Feels a little bit like punching down to mock the poor, so my favorite BWM stories are mocking the foolish.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/24/budget-breakdown-of-couple-making-500000-a-year-and-feeling-average.html

Look at those sad people, owning a $1.5M house in NYC, driving a 5 Series BMW, taking three vacations a year, and keeping their kids in violin lessons. At the end of it all, they only have $7,300 in cash and $36,000 in retirement savings to show for it.

I mean, they spend $18,000/year on charity. That may or may not be morally laudable, but it shows they're actively choosing to not save much each year.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My brother in law was making oilfield money (200k+) in cheap San Antonio suburbs. He did it at least 4 years. Two kids and a wife, they didn’t save anything. Now they have 4 kids, but at least he’s a supervisor now.

He’s the constant reminder for my wife and me that you can never make so much money that your spending can’t expand to match it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

disjoe posted:

I mean, they spend $18,000/year on charity. That may or may not be morally laudable, but it shows they're actively choosing to not save much each year.

1 grand a month on lessons for kids, three 6000 vacations a year, over 400 a month on gas. gently caress em.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's always possible to make good or bad decisions whatever your income and wealth; whatever the systematic pressure, an individual can always buck the trend, but you should still be aware of them.

What I mean is that if you have one guy who buys too many horses, then he's an idiot. But if 35% of your population is buying too many horses, your society has a horse infestation and you're not going to solve it one idiot at a time.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

It's always possible to make good or bad decisions whatever your income and wealth; whatever the systematic pressure, an individual can always buck the trend, but you should still be aware of them.

What I mean is that if you have one guy who buys too many horses, then he's an idiot. But if 35% of your population is buying too many horses, your society has a horse infestation and you're not going to solve it one idiot at a time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cwAvQcW0E&t=161s

Still bears, still great (Make sure to listen to the audio for this one)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'd play a violin for them over how they only have 7k left after maxing two 401ks and living in a 1.5 million dollar house, but I won't spend $12k on lessons.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://www.businessinsider.com/nasdaq-set-to-launch-bitcoin-futures-2017-11

NASDAQ is going to start trading in bitcoin futures.

That'll probably smooth out some volatility. Might even deflate the bubble a bit and cause lots of tears.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

As long as Solice Kirsk’s client keeps making $5,000 per day for effectively giving his friend a $6,000 car years ago.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Stop spending money on eels.

No

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Frankly I think a horse trained to be a butler for a mere $137k is a steal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Poor Jeeves, thought of wrinkly shirts and died.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

What does a successful CEO look like?

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 29, 2017

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

canyoneer posted:

I'm waiting for the article where someone says "I can barely make ends meet with a $250k salary. I realize that other people make less than me. That is why I am fighting to have the federal minimum wage raised to (the barely livable level of) $250k per year."

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

There's a couple in a similar position on Youtube who I commented and said they shouldn't be giving anyone financial advice. The usual expenses, but they work for non-profits for student loan forgiveness and don't earn enough to pay for a hovercraft full of eels. They actually responded and said do you know our financial position, etc. So I sat through a bunch of their lovely videos giving them views. The video I watched said they had $1m in debt, then their budget video claimed they had $300k net assets. I smelled bullshit.

Their net assets sounded fine, except they left out $418k of student loans so their actual net worth is -$100k. They are counting loan forgiveness before they have it. Their advice is also lovely because it only applies to high earning professionals. Of course they are addicted to debt with heaps of excuses about why they needed an expensive house and cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Le6wfMM_R4

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

As long as Solice Kirsk’s client keeps making $5,000 per day for effectively giving his friend a $6,000 car years ago.

Not my client anymore. :( My firm took him away from me. Well, moved him to the highest tier of stuff we got on my suggestion, but he's still doing extremely well as far as I know. He called the other day, but I was out of the office.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not my client anymore. :( My firm took him away from me. Well, moved him to the highest tier of stuff we got on my suggestion, but he's still doing extremely well as far as I know. He called the other day, but I was out of the office.
I sincerely hope this man gets to live in quiet comfort for the rest of his fortunate days.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If you budget includes 10k/year in car payment on luxury cars, maxes out 2 401k accounts, and services an amortizing payment on $1.5MM of real estate debt, you don't get to complain about how little you put into savings. also LOL ar 10k/year on "something always comes up".

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

If you budget includes 10k/year in car payment on luxury cars, maxes out 2 401k accounts, and services an amortizing payment on $1.5MM of real estate debt, you don't get to complain about how little you put into savings.

The payments on their student loans as well. Their effective savings rate a proportion of net income is very high. So they just feel average with 20% of their net income being spent on daycare and horse archery lessons for the kids.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Devian666 posted:

horse archery

Archery from horseback?

Training horses in archery?

Shooting horses full of arrows?

I am in no matter what.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Archery from horseback?

I am in no matter what.
The horses may also be either the bows or the arrows. With enough money, your wish is granted.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

therobit posted:

Archery from horseback?

I am in no matter what.

It's actually all 3. You train horses in archery and then battle them from horseback.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

canyoneer posted:

It's actually all 3. You train horses in archery and then battle them from horseback.

You can charge money for a show that good so it’s GWM until animal rights activists shut you down.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Devian666 posted:

There's a couple in a similar position on Youtube who I commented and said they shouldn't be giving anyone financial advice. The usual expenses, but they work for non-profits for student loan forgiveness and don't earn enough to pay for a hovercraft full of eels. They actually responded and said do you know our financial position, etc. So I sat through a bunch of their lovely videos giving them views. The video I watched said they had $1m in debt, then their budget video claimed they had $300k net assets. I smelled bullshit.

Their net assets sounded fine, except they left out $418k of student loans so their actual net worth is -$100k. They are counting loan forgiveness before they have it. Their advice is also lovely because it only applies to high earning professionals. Of course they are addicted to debt with heaps of excuses about why they needed an expensive house and cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Le6wfMM_R4

This goes for these people and the people in the CNBC article (who apparently have annual student debt payments of $32K for 10-20 years). How in the actual living gently caress do you end up with half a million dollars in student debt?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Quick reminder since it's been reported a few times as of late

pig slut lisa posted:

[*]Talking about yourself
BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This goes for these people and the people in the CNBC article (who apparently have annual student debt payments of $32K for 10-20 years). How in the actual living gently caress do you end up with half a million dollars in student debt?

They're both lawyers at big firms, so they likely went to highly ranked (i.e., expensive) law schools. It's plausible they each took $250k in student loans, if neither got good scholarships.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Every time I think about this guy I do a lol and check the BTC ticker and then do a little "woot" in his honor.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I don't know what exchange he's trading off (and frankly I don't want to know) but if you assume he's got a weekly limit of $35-50k as far as what he can get turned around, in the 8(?) weeks since he got started on this he's definitely cashed out between a quarter and a half a million USD.

Talk about your lottery ticket.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
For Denver telecommuter:

If he lives in Denver or the surrounding area, the house will sell quickly at 330k, provided it's standing and habitable. A 1000 square foot 2 bedroom in my boring suburban hood sold for 320k. My friends 2/2 Habitat home in a sketchy area was on the market 350k.

But even the worst apartments cost costas much or more than his mortgage payment + insurance. Roommates are a good idea, but selling to rent when you have a good deal is not.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

For doctors and lawyers, easily. Average med school grad debt is around $180k, plus undergrad. Have a 2 physician/lawyer couple, double it. Plus 3-6 years for doctors of residency where you are probably starting Income based repayment and not even servicing the interest.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Professional school plus or minus prestigious undergraduate diploma

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Are there doctor equivalents of people that spend $150,000 to get a poo poo law degree and end up doing doc review for $35,000 a year?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Always wanted to make a parody of this type of thing, showing my fat, hairy self soullessly staring into the camera as above, while I post about how my personal brand of snake oil hasn't helped me in the slightest, and how I hold the reader in open contempt, yet you idiots should buy it for $200.00 a bottle because of toxins or some poo poo.

Couldn't pull it off because I'm not a) a woman or b) blonde.
You should do this! there's an aussie chick who does hilarious parodies of those dumb makeup videos, or vlog updates or whatever else these narcissistic people do. Partner keeps showing them to me and they're great. Really takes the piss out of the whole scene of bullshit.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Ashcans posted:

Are there doctor equivalents of people that spend $150,000 to get a poo poo law degree and end up doing doc review for $35,000 a year?

Ones who can't get a residency or don't finish it. There have been a couple of those in this thread.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

disjoe posted:

They're both lawyers at big firms, so they likely went to highly ranked (i.e., expensive) law schools. It's plausible they each took $250k in student loans, if neither got good scholarships.

This is unfortunately the case. With the couple I linked they went that path but went with the lower paying legal jobs. In part because of the student loan write off, but also because it's their preferred work.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Ones who can't get a residency or don't finish it. There have been a couple of those in this thread.

See - the show "Shrink " on the recently defunct Seeso network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Ashcans posted:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Prettymuch the entirety of Caribbean med students. Med schools in the Caribbean are for-profit; they're insanely expensive and people only attend because the admission requirements are much lower and they couldn't get accepted to US schools. Very few complete their degree, and of those that do there aren't many that make it to a residency.

I'm not sure what line of work they end up in but there's probably an endless trove of BWM stories surrounding Caribbean MD students and their struggles to pay off 6-figure loans without a matching salary.