Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cerebral Bore posted:

She's got a real good loving point. Man I love fascism, I really just wish it had a place for me. If only there was a fascism that wanted to genocide white people - I'd be all over that poo poo.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
nice meltdown

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oh no, not white genocide!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Do me next

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gently caress off with that poo poo

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Rockopolis posted:

Well, when you put it that way, the people who say no must be pretty brave. We should be encouraging people to be more like that.

I feel like most people are just trying to get through the day, particularly when your whole society is screwed up. I can’t fault a guy for paying the $100, trying not to get involved as much as possible, and then bailing at the first opportunity. It seems unfair to expect more, when I myself have never been in that situation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MizPiz posted:

Do me next

I don't know what sympathies you have with Nazi's and fascism, and you've never done it to me so I don't have a guide to shape how I should write it.

Give me both of those and I'll give it a go.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 29, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Grapplejack posted:

"Join us and you get $100 a month, say no and we will kill you, burn your house down, and rape your wife" is a pretty difficult thing to say no to.

It's extremely disingenuous to compare someone living in a war zone being forced to choose the carrot or stick to someone who believes in and actively seeks groups that support a set of beliefs. Both the nazis and Daesh foreign fighters chose to join there respective movements.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

This has probably already been posted recently but does anyone have a link to a run down of what’s in the most recent iteration of the tax bill? They’ve shifted it so many times and are moving so quickly it’s hard to keep up with it

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't know what sympathies you have with Nazi's and fascism, and you've never done it to me so I don't have a guide to shape how I should write it.

Give me both of those and I'll give it a go.

the_white_genocide_fearer has logged on

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm most concerned about the Pacific Islanders myself. They've gotten the poo poo end of the stick enough times.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Speaking of islands.

https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/935536697424732165

quote:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) introduced a bill Tuesday to rebuild and modernize the infrastructure of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands with a massive federal investment of $146 billion.

The ambitious legislation, titled “The Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands Equitable Rebuild Act of 2017,” would transform the U.S. territories’ energy, housing, education, agriculture, transportation and health care systems, addressing problems that have bedeviled the islands since long before two massive hurricanes plunged them into a state of full-on humanitarian crisis in September.

In total, the bill would grant $62 billion to the governments of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands to address their fiscal challenges, $27 billion for infrastructure projects and $51 billion for economic development.

“The bill that Senator Sanders has introduced in the United States Congress is a comprehensive plan that provides the blueprint for the transformation of Puerto Rico,” Carmen Yulín Cruz, mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico, said in a statement. “While dealing with all major areas of immediate concern: energy, health and education it also sets the foundation to make Puerto Rico a more equitable, just and fair society for all.”

Cruz, a vocal critic of President Donald Trump’s response to Hurricane Maria, hosted Sanders during his fact-finding and solidarity mission to the island in late October.

“Sen. Sanders also shows a great deal of respect and faith in us when claiming that the recovery of Puerto Rico must be in Puerto Rican hands,” Cruz added in her statement. “The bill comes from Sanders’ commitment of listening first hand to the hopes and aspirations of our people and must be given serious consideration by Congress.”

So I don't specifically remember or fully understand how much Puerto Rico owed as debts, but wasn't it in the realm of 62 billion? Would this bill essentially erase Puerto Rico's debt? Or am I misunderstanding the bill?

quote:

Sanders’ bill already enjoys the support of Democratic Sens. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), Kirsten Gillibrand (N.Y.), Ed Markey (Mass.), Kamala Harris (Calif.) and Richard Blumenthal (Conn.).

Democratic Reps. Nydia Velazquez (N.Y.) and Darren Soto (Fla.) are due to introduce a companion bill in the House of Representatives. Democratic Rep. Stacey Plaskett, the delegate representing the Virgin Islands, also is co-sponsoring the House version of bill.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Lightning Knight posted:

Speaking of islands.

https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/935536697424732165

So I don't specifically remember or fully understand how much Puerto Rico owed as debts, but wasn't it in the realm of 62 billion? Would this bill essentially erase Puerto Rico's debt? Or am I misunderstanding the bill?

Wikipedia says 74 Billion with roughly 50 billion more in unfunded pensions. USVI has about 6.5 billion in combined debt/pensions according to this NYT article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/25/business/dealbook/virgin-islands-debt-payment-pensions.html

In any case it would radically reduce the debt burden in both territories.

Edit// It is a desperately needed bill though and would begin to start reinvestment in our neglected colonies.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
If you put more people to work and put them in the pension, that would also relieve Puerto Rico’s pension, provided their employment could be sustained.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The Republicans are probably going to pass their tax bill.

Edit: also, running, he's, etc.

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/935902021185687552

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 29, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/935930957449826307

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Governor, perhaps? When is Rauner's term up?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Another piece on the Democratic bill to help Puerto Rico, if you are allergic to HuffPo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I can't believe the damned tax bill is gonna pass.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GlyphGryph posted:

I can, I'm entirely unsurprised. I'm disappointed, but tax cuts are fundamentally marketable and important to the ruling class in a way that killing healthcare isn't and we just weren't mobilizing enough opposition to the bill.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The bill is already running into problems that didn't exist as recent as yesterday.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Why not? I mean, hasn't "Give more money to the rich because TRICKLE DOWN totally works guys!" been the platform of the Republican party for ages? Why is it surprising that they're holding true to their beliefs?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

khy posted:

Why not? I mean, hasn't "Give more money to the rich because TRICKLE DOWN totally works guys!" been the platform of the Republican party for ages? Why is it surprising that they're holding true to their beliefs?
The way you're framing this it almost sounds as though you think the GOP has an overarching ideology above "more money for us; gently caress you". I'm sure there are a few true believers here and there, but for the most part the party is just a tool the ruling class uses to steal from the rest of us and give to themselves, and most GOP politicians know it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MizPiz posted:

It's extremely disingenuous to compare someone living in a war zone being forced to choose the carrot or stick to someone who believes in and actively seeks groups that support a set of beliefs. Both the nazis and Daesh foreign fighters chose to join thier respective movements.

I was referring to those within the war zone, sorry. Yeah they do the foreign fighters too but that's where you'll find the craftiest of the recruiters. They'll pick these people out and work at their isolation and feelings of powerlessness and exclusion from the society they live in in order to brainwash them into joining these movements. It's why you see a lot of foreign ISIS guys being second generation immigrants; they're easy pickings because of their estrangement from both cultures they straddle.

e: also i'll believe they can pass that bill when i see the fuckin votes and not a moment beforehand.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kilroy posted:

The way you're framing this it almost sounds as though you think the GOP has an overarching ideology above "more money for us; gently caress you". I'm sure there are a few true believers here and there, but for the most part the party is just a tool the ruling class uses to steal from the rest of us and give to themselves, and most GOP politicians know it.

I think "more money for us; gently caress you" is probably like a distant third in priorities.

It goes:
1. "More power for us; gently caress you"
2. "More social status for us; gently caress you"
3. "More money for us (so we can spend it to get more of the above); gently caress you"

There's also the "zeroth priority" which reads, simply, "gently caress you."

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kilroy posted:

I feel like there's a good chance that a significant amount of the GOP actually deludes themselves enough to believe the bullshit they spout, and genuinely feel like their decisions and economic/political strategies are good for the nation as a whole and not just the very very top.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nobody is ever going to talk about Conyers in this thread. They'd rather keep dunking on Franken and pretend the Conyers thing doesn't exist

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Not a Step posted:

Nobody is ever going to talk about Conyers in this thread. They'd rather keep dunking on Franken and pretend the Conyers thing doesn't exist

what are you going on about?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

khy posted:

I feel like there's a good chance that a significant amount of the GOP actually deludes themselves enough to believe the bullshit they spout, and genuinely feel like their decisions and economic/political strategies are good for the nation as a whole and not just the very very top.
Well anyway I'm not accepting "I was deluded" as a legitimate defense when we round these fuckers up on the national mall for their show trials :colbert:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Not a Step posted:

Conyers is also bad and also should resign, next question please.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I think most people do this. Democrats similarly delude themselves that the "good" Democratic-voting wealthy people and corporate executives are trustworthy and that what they recommend is genuinely good for the nation. And those wealthy people and corporate executives also convince themselves that what's good for them (or at least what doesn't cause them to sacrifice much) also happens to be what's good for the rest of the nation.

Conservatives do tend to integrate more genuine malice into their worldview, though. Like, many conservatives genuinely believe a significant portion (if not most) of the poor deserve to suffer, while wealthy/well-off liberals at least want things to be better for the poor, even if they're usually unwilling to sacrifice anything to make that happen (or convince themselves that things which hurt the poor are actually good for them, like charter schools)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Given the ultimate goals of the Republican party, this tax bill is good politics for them, even if it leads to electoral disaster in the short term.

To fit through reconciliation, across the board tax cuts would have to be temporary, and whoever is in charge 10 years could just let them expire (like Obama did).

Permanent tax cuts for corporations that can only pass reconciliation because of future tax hikes on the middle class makes raising the corporate tax rates again in the future much more difficult and politically costly, and allows them to run in the future on a platform of preventing those hikes or starving the beast. Yes, a lot of them will pay a political price in the short term, but that is what wingnut welfare is for. I would be very surprised if some version of the tax cuts doesn't pass before the midterms.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
People perpetuating system abuses of power should resign even if they pass good legeslation, and/or in the case of Franken write a very good book that you read in your formative years. (LIES! And the Lying Liars who tell them remains a good book. Google "Supply Side Jesus" some time)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember reading Lies when I was in high school. I liked it at the time, though that sort of book is only really useful if you're not already aware of how terrible right-wing media is (and it's going to become somewhat obsolete as Fox News loses prominence). At the time I loved dunking on conservatives because they made for easy targets, but it gets old after a while.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

A good thread on the subtle (and not-so-subtle) racism of Garrison Keillor:

https://twitter.com/thrasherxy/status/935936969028329472

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Alter Ego posted:

Governor, perhaps? When is Rauner's term up?

Definitely not governor. Elections are next year, and petitions are due next week to be on the primary ballot. Plus, two super rich people are already running as Democrats.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Definitely not governor. Elections are next year, and petitions are due next week to be on the primary ballot. Plus, two super rich people are already running as Democrats.

Can you, and any other IL goons, tell us more about Gutierrez? Do you like him and would you support him for higher office?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

stone cold posted:

:ducksiren: hot take alert :ducksiren:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Conyers is also bad and also should resign, next question please.

People are more likely to post when they disagree with something than when they agree (I made this up a while ago but it feels right) so a certain segment of crazy idiot will interpret all these people not talking about Conyers, because Conyers sucks, he should resign, it's all been said, as supporting Conyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

stone cold posted:

If we can just understand the Nazi, maybe we can create a philosophy that synthesizes fascism with progressive thought and find a place for people like me in their glorious ascendancy. So I think it's important to treat them with love and kindness, lest we rob ourselves of this amazing opportunity.

hot take yo

• Locked thread