Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

SFF-8088 PCI bracket, SFF-8088 cables for external connection to the LSI card, and SFF-8087 [forward] breakout cables inside the iStar case to the hot swap bays.

Ahhh. I never knew what those 8088 cards were used for. Tits! You are the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

redeyes posted:

Ahhh. I never knew what those 8088 cards were used for. Tits! You are the man.

Incidentally, I have extra brackets and cables and would be willing to sell them to you. Hit me up at my username at gmail if you're interested since you don't have plat.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 25, 2017

Kashekya
Dec 11, 2003

Pillbug

Chuu posted:

Thanks, I see it now. Is there somewhere on the system it preserves which disks had the checksum error? Also, in ZFS is repaired data after a scrub a common enough occurrence it doesn't change the big green light from "OK" or something else?

I've also read there is a threshold after which "bit rot" is considered a hard error. Is this limit per-scrub, or is it cumulative? If cumulative where can I see the cumulative statistics for the drives in the pool?

(Also, is there a good in-depth technical doc that could answer all these questions? Most of the zfs/freenas guides I've seen focus on setup/configuration, not how ZFS/FreeNAS tracks/handles faults)

If the zfs pool has been cleared, either manually with "zpool clear" or by a reboot, then nothing will be indicated in the FreeNAS gui.

If you have emails setup in FreeNAS it would email you a status output of the scrub once it finished, that would contain the record of which device had the checksum error.

Data on a ZFS pool being repaired during a scrub is uncommon outside of flaky hardware in my experience. On an older NAS I had built out of spare and unused parts I had 7 drives spread over 4 separate cheap SATA controllers, one of which was flaky causing data on 2 of the drives in the pool to have data repaired on them every time a scrub was run (once a month by default on FreeNAS). On good hardware which has been tested and validated, in both home and enterprise setups, I have never seen a scrub repair any data outside of intentional testing as you did. Though people with more experience using zfs in larger enterprise setups might have better input on this.

FreeNAS does not consider repaired data an alert situation (it is not listed here: https://doc.freenas.org/11/alert.html), most likely because this is not critical (no data is lost). Though as this usually indicates that something is not right with the system hardware it would probably be better if it was considered as an alert.

As far as docs go:
https://doc.freenas.org/11/freenas.html (Mainly about FreeNAS setup as you mentioned)
ZFS admin guides:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26505_01/html/E37384/gavwg.html
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26505_01/html/E37384/gbbbc.html
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gbbwl/index.html

Kashekya fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 25, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

Incidentally, I have extras all of these things (except the LSI card) and would be willing to sell them to you. Hit me up at my username at gmail if you're interested since you don't have plat.

Email sent. Thanks man!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

Unless your QNAP is very old you can upgrade inplace without any volume wipe/format https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/online-raid-level-migration , having a backup always help tho.

Oh, good to know. When I read up on it before, I interpreted the "will wipe the disks" part to mean that it would wipe the existing array. Kind of silly that I've been holding off on using it too heavily for fear that I wouldn't have enough external drive space to offload everything when I finally filled out the array, then. Thanks, that'll save me some trouble. Though I might still get a big external drive anyway, since I don't have any real backups and it sounds like the cloud backup ecosystem isn't that great.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
WD Easystore 8 TB with NESN SKU (reds inside) are down to $150+tax.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Can anyone give me an idea of the ideal 4-6 bay setup if I want to be able to transcode video with PLEX? If there's a cheap device that can host the server and do the transcoding for me like a NVIDIA Shield or a NUC, I'll do that and just host the files on the NAS. I just want to be able to no-doubt serve 1080p video files to whatever device over my network.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Quixzlizx posted:

Can anyone give me an idea of the ideal 4-6 bay setup if I want to be able to transcode video with PLEX? If there's a cheap device that can host the server and do the transcoding for me like a NVIDIA Shield or a NUC, I'll do that and just host the files on the NAS. I just want to be able to no-doubt serve 1080p video files to whatever device over my network.

If the renderer device can handle the media format there is no transcode required and the plex server may be as well running on a low power arm nas. If you don't have a known codec set and you don't want to use advanced renderer units you can host the plex server on a low power intel atom core like the n-series or j-series which include hardware accelerated video encoding. Qnap units like the 453B or 653B will fit your envelope just fine(a x53B can run both renderer and plex server roles if required).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Cheapest 10GbE nics? I'm not seeing much below around $150 for a dual Intel from ebay. Maybe someone has a better deal?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

redeyes posted:

Cheapest 10GbE nics? I'm not seeing much below around $150 for a dual Intel from ebay. Maybe someone has a better deal?

Mellanox ConnectX-2 stuff goes for ~$30 for a single port SFP+ card. Aquantia makes $70 10GBase-T cards, but the switches are a bit more expensive than SFP+ still.

Mikrotik CSS326 is a web-managed fanless switch with 24 GigE ports and 2 SFP+ ports that retails for under $150. Their optics aren't too expensive either if you need distance beyond 3 meters.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

Mellanox ConnectX-2 stuff goes for ~$30 for a single port SFP+ card. Aquantia makes $70 10GBase-T cards, but the switches are a bit more expensive than SFP+ still.

Mikrotik CSS326 is a web-managed fanless switch with 24 GigE ports and 2 SFP+ ports that retails for under $150. Their optics aren't too expensive either if you need distance beyond 3 meters.

I need around 70ft. I may have trouble fishing optics but there is already CAT6 run. This thing might work https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1368519-REG/netgear_gs110mx_100nas_gs110mx_8_port_gigabit_unmanaged.html for a switch

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 27, 2017

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If the renderer device can handle the media format there is no transcode required and the plex server may be as well running on a low power arm nas. If you don't have a known codec set and you don't want to use advanced renderer units you can host the plex server on a low power intel atom core like the n-series or j-series which include hardware accelerated video encoding. Qnap units like the 453B or 653B will fit your envelope just fine(a x53B can run both renderer and plex server roles if required).

I have stuff like anime .mkv files, so I'm assuming those would need to be remuxed in order to be recognized by a bunch of devices without needing to transcode.

So then you're saying this could handle hi10p/mkv 1080p files?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just got my 5th of these. Buy buy buy.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Just got my 5th of these. Buy buy buy.

How does shucking work with warranties? Are they voided?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Quixzlizx posted:

How does shucking work with warranties? Are they voided?

People say no.. its scary to me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Quixzlizx posted:

I have stuff like anime .mkv files, so I'm assuming those would need to be remuxed in order to be recognized by a bunch of devices without needing to transcode.

So then you're saying this could handle hi10p/mkv 1080p files?

What codec are you talking about? h264 or h265?
Hi10p(h265) will require to be recoded rather than remuxed, most cheap android boards do not support it. H264 Hi10p is doable with most allwinner/amlogic boards with a simple remux(no compute power is required).

I have a x53B unit, if you want i can test if the nas can transcode a random Hi10p episode without issues.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, I just paid that for a 4TB HGST and that was one of the cheapest options here, this poo poo really makes me jealous. Also the loving thing took two weeks to travel 300km what the hell are the they smoking at the post office.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

What codec are you talking about? h264 or h265?
Hi10p(h265) will require to be recoded rather than remuxed, most cheap android boards do not support it. H264 Hi10p is doable with most allwinner/amlogic boards with a simple remux(no compute power is required).

I have a x53B unit, if you want i can test if the nas can transcode a random Hi10p episode without issues.

I think my files vary between h.264 and h.265.

Another problem is that a lot of anime files have .rear end format subtitles, which aren't really supported by anything not-PC.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Quixzlizx posted:

I think my files vary between h.264 and h.265.

Another problem is that a lot of anime files have .rear end format subtitles, which aren't really supported by anything not-PC.

kodi does, there is a up-to-date port compatible with most android boxes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In case you have time, Bryan Cantrill shows in less than 5 minutes why you may want to avoid Toshiba disks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-RQ3cclXs

In case you don't have time, there's something in the Toshiba drives plotted with blue icons - probably in the firmware of the drive, where nobody but Toshiba can find it - that's causing exponential decay of the writes per second before it "magically" resets:

Incidentally, it also shows off quite well what happens as the drive-head moves from low LBAs on the edge of the platter to high LBAs further towards the center of the spindle.
And in case you've somehow been living under a rock and you don't know who Bryan Cantrill is, watch every single of his recorded presentations.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 27, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress, I just paid that for a 4TB HGST and that was one of the cheapest options here, this poo poo really makes me jealous. Also the loving thing took two weeks to travel 300km what the hell are the they smoking at the post office.

Same here man, same here. ON the other hand, the HGST is a loving goddamn good drive with a great warranty. Bottom line, it is money well spent.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

kodi does, there is a up-to-date port compatible with most android boxes.

Oh well, I was kind of hoping I'd be able to effortlessly serve all of my files to Fire TV/PS4/HTPC all though Plex, but I guess I'll just have to ditch the PS4 and stick to my HTPC and Kodi-enabled devices unless I want to buy something just to be a Plex transcoding server.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Quixzlizx posted:

Oh well, I was kind of hoping I'd be able to effortlessly serve all of my files to Fire TV/PS4/HTPC all though Plex, but I guess I'll just have to ditch the PS4 and stick to my HTPC and Kodi-enabled devices unless I want to buy something just to be a Plex transcoding server.

You should try to get non formatted subs so you can just use the integrated dlna engine.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 27, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

Incidentally, it also shows off quite well what happens as the drive-head moves from low LBAs on the edge of the platter to high LBAs further towards the center of the spindle.
And in case you've somehow been living under a rock and you don't know who Bryan Cantrill is, watch every single of his recorded presentations.

His speech about the birth of Illumos is particularly relevant for this thread, and this bit in particular about Oracle is comedy gold.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Well, I guess I don't feel bad about my plan to put my 5400 RPM white-label HGST drives into my 7200 RPM Toshiba X300 array (will eventually become a toy-datamining+backup array) and build a WD Red-only array for my new media-storage master array. Gonna need to buy another half of an array, but that's OK. My existing Reds have been good to me so far, they're pushing 3 years old but I'll keep using them in my RAID enclosure.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 28, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What would you guys recommend for a low-cost media server if I have 2x 5TB and 2x 8TB drives to work with? It would be nice to be able to add 2x 12TB in a few years without having to toss out the 5TB drives, but if that additional capacity costs a bunch more, I guess I could live with something that only supports 4 drives.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Josh Lyman posted:

What would you guys recommend for a low-cost media server if I have 2x 5TB and 2x 8TB drives to work with? It would be nice to be able to add 2x 12TB in a few years without having to toss out the 5TB drives, but if that additional capacity costs a bunch more, I guess I could live with something that only supports 4 drives.

Qnap have a low-cost to midrange lineup divide on four disks, cheap units go up to 4-5 at best. Higher capacity NAS (6-8 bays) tends to come at a premium. What is your budget?

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 28, 2017

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought something similar to this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...8IAAOSwu1VW6bKO
with an IBM / LSI MegaRAID SAS9201-8I and it's treated me well. Definitely overkill but fun to mess around with if you're willing to learn FreeNAS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So that guy from Oracle, that held that presentation over at that OpenZFS conference, has apparently been sacked. :classiclol:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Go on, what is the back story?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Oracle hates open source and things that take away from their ability to extract every penny from businesses, more news at 10.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Starting to spec out a FreeNAS build, and have read a lot of conflicting reviews of the Silverstone 380B/CS380 case. With a 8xReds in them, and a cardboard duct in the 380B, is the general consensus I will be fine, or should this setup still be avoided? I've also read the CS380 has massively better temps if you add two more fans that draw air in from the bottom and expel it from the top -- but I can't find any picture showing me if these mounts event exist. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also of note, I did some research on the caps on the backplane and they appear to be counterfeit Chinese-made XCON-branded caps. They are getting replaced with Rubycon caps if I buy the board, assuming the backplane is easy to remove.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 29, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you're going to recap something you buy as soon as you get it... maybe get something else?

Reds seem to be pretty tough to kill thermally. Most of mine have lived out in the un-conditioned garage through a few AZ summers. No matter how much 100 degree air you blow over them, they're still going to be toasty.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is there any particular reason I should run a complicated Deltacopy/Rsync setup to back up from Windows machines to my FreeNAS, instead of using simple tools like DirCopy or whatever and just copy directly to the SMB share?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gozinbulx posted:

Is there any particular reason I should run a complicated Deltacopy/Rsync setup to back up from Windows machines to my FreeNAS, instead of using simple tools like DirCopy or whatever and just copy directly to the SMB share?

You mean apart from the obvious "subsequent backup runs will only move the changed data, potentially near-instantly"? You can also add compression, it transparently understands SSH/SFTP (vs having to loop through CIFS/Samba), and tons of other stuff.

In general RSync is Extremely Good and you just need to sack up and give it a try. It has an imposing amount of options but most of them actually don't matter. Once you figure out what you want to do, you just use that command. Or you can alias it, or whatever.

My usual command is rsync -rht --progress /cygdrive/c/backups/ paul@mynas:/storage/backups/. The -r is recursive, the -h is human-readable filesizes, the -t means copy timestamps (which is how rsync identifies changed files by default, along with size). --progress is self-explanatory. Then it's just "list the things you want to copy, and the last argument is where you want them to go", like any copy/move command. For SFTP transfers you just use the syntax user@host:/path/on/remote/ (and note that you can copy either to or from a remote server!).

I occasionally use --remove-source-files, which turns it into a "move" instead of a "copy" operation, and --checksum forces rsync to hash the data on both sides to verify bit-identicalness.

There is also a -a option equivalent to -rlptgoD , this does things like copy groups, permissions, block devices, etc that might be relevant if you were trying to clone a whole machine, but I usually don't care about that stuff. -rht is perfectly sufficient for most use-cases.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 29, 2017

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you're going to recap something you buy as soon as you get it... maybe get something else?

Ordinarily I'd agree but there are so few options for a hot swap system under $200 this seems like a minor inconvenience to save a lot of money. It's not like recapping is difficult if you can pull the PCBs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I got one of these 8TB WD easystores and the drive is a white label so I'm double checking it supports TLER.

Unfortunately, the command I found to determine that doesn't seem to work:

code:
therms@server:/⟫ sudo smartctl -d sat -l scterc /dev/disk/by-id/usb-WD_easystore_25FB_375347524A374B43-0\:0
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.4.0-96-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, [url]www.smartmontools.org[/url]

SMART WRITE LOG does not return COUNT and LBA_LOW register
SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command failed
I found this image that shows what its supposed to show if it does not support TLER:

And this is what its supposed to show if it does support TLER:

So...not sure what I'm supposed to do now.

edit: nevermind, I moved it to my windows machine, installed smartmontools for windows, and it checked out fine. WD80EMAZ white label supports TLER.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 29, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Does it not respond to smartctl without the "-d sat" in there? I'm guessing you haven't shucked it yet given the disk ID.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I did some looking and supposedly it loses the TLER setting after reboot but it should accept the setting from smartctl. Not ideal and I guess I'll put mine in my desktop instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Paul MaudDib posted:

I did some looking and supposedly it loses the TLER setting after reboot but it should accept the setting from smartctl. Not ideal and I guess I'll put mine in my desktop instead.

From what I read, the output of that command means it does support TLER?

Do you mean after shucking it, putting in in a system, and then rebooting the system TLER gets shut off?