Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thanks for sharing the CRT stand setups and ideas! I especially dig the idea of the old classroom TV cart. The industrial look and wheels would be pretty ace. Also sounds like I don't have to be quite as paranoid about this thing crushing old furniture, so some old stuff still at my parent's place might fit the bill, for the time being.

So how often does https://retro-access.com/ actually restock? I've seen it recommended here for cables, but they've had that "Stock is temporarily reduced to zero" message on the front page ever since the first time I've looked at it. Also I noticed that, of the usual recommended sites, Retro Gaming Cables appears to be the only one with this type of SCART > BNC cable. So if I'm stuck having to do a UK import, I might just get everything from RGC anyway. Any random eBay sellers good for the PVM cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

d0s posted:

Awesome, been wondering what would be good to use. Is your cab fiberglass as well? Just want to make sure it's safe on this material.

I had a Sega Aero City so metal and fiberglass/plastic. 409 did the trick. We were lucky when we got ours since it was summer, so we just hit with with cleaner, let it sit for awhile and let a lot of the filth just melt off of it onto the ground. Whatever you do don't clean it in your home as the stuff that comes off is gross and will stain. Nicotine and Tar is some of the worst things to get off of something.

It took about 2 hours to get it clean on the outside, then hit it with the shop vac inside. I put a couple dryer sheets inside the cab to help get some of the smell out, it is the best trick I have ever found to get smoke smell out of electronics.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Minidust posted:

Thanks for sharing the CRT stand setups and ideas! I especially dig the idea of the old classroom TV cart. The industrial look and wheels would be pretty ace. Also sounds like I don't have to be quite as paranoid about this thing crushing old furniture, so some old stuff still at my parent's place might fit the bill, for the time being.

So how often does https://retro-access.com/ actually restock? I've seen it recommended here for cables, but they've had that "Stock is temporarily reduced to zero" message on the front page ever since the first time I've looked at it. Also I noticed that, of the usual recommended sites, Retro Gaming Cables appears to be the only one with this type of SCART > BNC cable. So if I'm stuck having to do a UK import, I might just get everything from RGC anyway. Any random eBay sellers good for the PVM cable?

I'm sure there are some OK cables on eBay. But I'd stick with trusted people for anything that is more custom (anything with sync cables and the scart to bnc adapter). The best eBay seller is what turned into retro-access, so I'd wait for them to restock. When I had a PVM, I just imported mine from retrogamingcables and it came pretty quick since I am on the east cost. So a few extra bucks for the currency conversion is worth it. I'd grab whatever cables you need at once, though I can't remember how they do shipping and if they just have flat per-item fees or if buying multiple items saves on shipping.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Minidust posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB...QQAAMXQAEFSD-4B

I have this cable which came highly recommended and I've had no issues.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

d0s posted:

oh god it's here it's here

here is how it was when I picked it up (that bleed on the color bars has been completely tuned out thank god):

I replaced the old LS-32 and grey OBSF-30s it had installed with a new LS-56 and green OBSF-30s (the right color for this panel). I kind of regret the button choice, I have never actually had anything with Sanwa buttons and they feel way too light/sensitive and not at all satisfying to tap. Nice for fighters, not so much for shooters and this is going to be a dedicated vertical cab. I am probably going to end up replacing them with Seimitsu PS-14-GNs. I spent a long loving time adjusting the colors, the monitor (15/24khz Nanao MS9 w/Toshiba tube, standard for NAC) is pretty old and obviously has seen a lot of use but with adjustment everything looks great, only very slight burn-in visible only on completely white screens.

this thing is filthy. the control panel is full of cigarette ash. and the wire harnesses are gross as hell. I did a cursory cleaning to just wipe off the layer of dust that was on everything but I'll be completely stripping it down and doing a proper clean as soon as I can, before it can enter the house. I'm also going to completely redo the control wiring as the previous operator did some crazy poo poo with tying wires together and electrical tape. Only buttons 1-3 are working, and the rest go to neither the JAMMA harness or kick harness. I'll probably make a new JAMMA harness as well. I get electrocuted whenever I touch the power supply or some other metal points so I need to ground everything properly.

owning one of these has been a dream of mine for idk how long and I'm so glad to finally have one. it's just as fun to play on as you think it is, absolutely killer. I feel like I don't need need any other piece of game equipment in my life, ever (well maybe a second cab for horizontal stuff, from the metal candy cab era this time, but lol i'll never find that)

Just chiming in to say this is beautiful and I'm jealous.

Instead of cleaning the controls, couldn't you buy a 2 player control panel from ebay and clean/fix that one instead?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
that cab is real sweet dude.

semi-related: has anyone seen a modded Time Travelers cab playing a different game?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

Instead of cleaning the controls, couldn't you buy a 2 player control panel from ebay and clean/fix that one instead?

I specifically requested the single player panel, better for vertical shooting games to play centered and nobody plays those 2 player anyway. The official single player panel is kind of rare so I was pretty happy to get it. If I had a second, horizontal cab I would definitely want a 2 player panel on that.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
I got this TV stand for 20 bucks at Goodwill:

The three supports are metal, and the shelves are tempered glass. I don't know what the top is made of, but it's ridiculously strong (the TV is sitting perfectly flat, that front plastic bit is just a bit warped after three moves). The TV is a 27" JVC I'Art that I bought brand-new for like $300 back in 2006. It's not quite a Trinitron, but it's pretty decent, and if it's anything like the D-Series I can probably mod it for RGB pretty easily.

Sadly, I haven't really used this TV in months due to a variety of circumstances. Mr. Resetti is pretty upset about it. :(

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I got my PVM on a nice retro style light green stool. It's quite sturdy. I'd probably put it on that TV stand if I had another place for my HDTV.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Minidust posted:

I also sell SCART-BNC adapters in my sale thread, along with SNES-style RGB-SCART cables: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836227

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Minidust posted:

So how often does https://retro-access.com/ actually restock? I've seen it recommended here for cables, but they've had that "Stock is temporarily reduced to zero" message on the front page ever since the first time I've looked at it.

You have to look in the morning. It's open right now for ordering

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I bought a 9 inch CRT made for boats and old games look great on it because the screen is so small

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
I have a setup right now and I need to elevate my crt up by about 8 inches from normal TV stand height. any suggestions for a tall enough, sturdy enough stand? the crt weighs like 250+ lbs

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Zand posted:

I have a setup right now and I need to elevate my crt up by about 8 inches from normal TV stand height. any suggestions for a tall enough, sturdy enough stand? the crt weighs like 250+ lbs

a stack of cinder blocks wider than the base of the TV (or under stand the TV is on)

Something pretty? Go Ron Swanson on a tree and make your own

Or shorten/take off the legs of the couch/chair you are using.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TeaJay posted:

I got my PVM on a nice retro style light green stool. It's quite sturdy. I'd probably put it on that TV stand if I had another place for my HDTV.

Coryoon :love: The last stage BGM is straight-up circus clown music but I love it. Naxat did a really good job blasting those waveforms.

e: for those wondering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3WQz3Ex8vU

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 29, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Parachute posted:

that cab is real sweet dude.

semi-related: has anyone seen a modded Time Travelers cab playing a different game?

No. But Holosseum exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holosseum

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

TeaJay posted:

I just got myself a Dreamcast and I'd like to know some good games that are not on every top10 list! aka the non-obvious gamers' essential pickups.

If you like racing games then Test Drive Le Mans is a great game. The graphics hold up well, the racing is fun (it straddles the line between arcade and sim), and there's tons of series and tracks. It even allows you honest to god endurance races of 6, 12, and 24 real time hours, during which you can save. I only ever completed the shortest one, never had the balls to do a full 24 hour race even if I could save. I really can't say enough about the game, you should check it out. Every race/series you complete you unlock new cars. The better your finish, the better the car. So completing the endurance races can really unlock some monstrous cars.

Gundam Side Story 0079 is an interesting game. It's not amazing, but it can be fun once you get the control scheme down. It's really under the radar so you can probably get it for cheap, and that makes it worth it. Perhaps no game will make you wish that you had a second analog stick more than this one.

I'm sorry, but without nostalgia I think Illbleed is really bad. It's playable, and if you're into oddities and/or games that are really unique, you may find it a cool museum piece. But, if you're looking for a fun game then I think you should look elsewhere. I was there in 2001 when it came out, and even then it was perplexing. Now when I play it I can't force my way through it because of the design choices.

However, if you find that you really like it then you may as well check out Carrier. This game is so stupid that it kinda becomes good. It's a Resident Evil clone that doesn't have the worst premise (a top secret air craft carrier has gone missing, only to reappear without any trace of the crew and you need to find out why, and what its last mission was), but the combat is really shoddy. This is a budget title from Jaleco and plays like a really fun B-movie. I wouldn't pay anymore than $10 for it, but if you can find it, have some buddies over and a few beers and laugh your way through.

Also, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare has some really devoted fans. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you aren't aware of its existence then you should look into it.

If you can find it with the microphone, and don't mind spending some serious cash, then you MUST get a copy of Seaman. This game cannot be described, it must be experienced. Perhaps the most unique game on the system...and maybe one of the most unique of the generation.

Stay away from Crazy Taxi 2. If anyone tells you that it's a bigger, better, version of the original they're flat out wrong. Crazy Taxi is perfection and cannot be improved upon, so stay away from its sequel.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TeaJay posted:

I just got myself a Dreamcast and I'd like to know some good games that are not on every top10 list! aka the non-obvious gamers' essential pickups.

dreamcast has so many good games. here are some that come to my head that may not be the usual top 10 material (but those top xx games are great too, definitely play shenmue, crazy taxi, soul calibur etc)

cosmic smash
border down
cannon spike
dead or alive 2
densha de go 2
dynamite cop
f355 challenge
fighting vipers 2
gigawing/gigawing 2
guilty gear x
house of the dead 2
illbleed
karous
king of fighters dream match 1999 (not "king of fighters 99")
maken x
mars matrix
plasma sword
project justice
psychic force 2012
puyo puyo 4
puyo puyo fever
radirgy
record of lodoss war
re-volt
rippin riders
sega rally 2
shikigami no shiro 2
street fighter III third strike (look up the 240p code if playing on CRT, ur eyes will bless u)
super street fighter IIX (its blurry)
sword of the berzerk: guts rage
tech romancer
tee off (it's very similar to hot shots/everybody golf but better imo)
trizeal
virtua tennis/tennis 2k2
tokyo bus guide
tokyo xtreme racer 1/2
under defeat
zero gunner 2
zombie revenge

e: what the poster above me said about crazy taxi 2 is definitely true but I remember the minigames or challenges or whatever they were being fun

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
for DC, i always suggest Yu Suzuki Game Works vol 1 even if its a compilation

mr driller is a really good port of the arcade version also. i also suggest space channel 5 (but the ps2 version is better imo and has 1 and 2). i really like this game but its hard to tell if its just nostalgia.

oh and project justice like d0s said is very good, its very easy to play and really fun if you have someone to fight. im really surprised it hasnt been rehashed or re-released in some form, because its very very good and has cool style

double edit: ive put more hours into virtua tennis than probably any other dc game for some loving reason

Zand fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 30, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zand posted:

for DC, i always suggest Yu Suzuki Game Works vol 1 even if its a compilation

oh yeah totally forgot about it but it's some drat good ports of some of the best sega arcade games, def. good to have

Zand posted:

oh and project justice like d0s said is very good, its very easy to play and really fun if you have someone to fight. im really surprised it hasnt been rehashed or re-released in some form, because its very very good and has cool style

it's one of my favorite fighting games ever, no lie

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations. I know some of those titles, but most are unknown and I will give them a try.

Is there a translation of Densha de Go! on the DC or PS1 or is tne N64 the only version that has some kind of a translation?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I just finished softmodding my original Xbox, and obviously I'm going to need a component cable for 480p/720p stuff now that my PAL Xbox should finally support it. The official MS component cable is presumably one of the best ones but is a bit expensive, are there any cheaper cables that aren't complete poo poo?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I bought these extremely cheap ones and they work fine, though they're extremely short, like half the length of the official composite cables.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Is there a translation of Densha de Go! on the DC or PS1 or is tne N64 the only version that has some kind of a translation?

god I wish but no

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

d0s posted:

dreamcast has so many good games. here are some that come to my head that may not be the usual top 10 material (but those top xx games are great too, definitely play shenmue, crazy taxi, soul calibur etc)

cosmic smash
border down
cannon spike
dead or alive 2
densha de go 2
dynamite cop
f355 challenge
fighting vipers 2
gigawing/gigawing 2
guilty gear x
house of the dead 2
illbleed
karous
king of fighters dream match 1999 (not "king of fighters 99")
maken x
mars matrix
plasma sword
project justice
psychic force 2012
puyo puyo 4
puyo puyo fever
radirgy
record of lodoss war
re-volt
rippin riders
sega rally 2
shikigami no shiro 2
street fighter III third strike (look up the 240p code if playing on CRT, ur eyes will bless u)
super street fighter IIX (its blurry)
sword of the berzerk: guts rage
tech romancer
tee off (it's very similar to hot shots/everybody golf but better imo)
trizeal
virtua tennis/tennis 2k2
tokyo bus guide
tokyo xtreme racer 1/2
under defeat
zero gunner 2
zombie revenge

e: what the poster above me said about crazy taxi 2 is definitely true but I remember the minigames or challenges or whatever they were being fun

You and I have very similar taste in dreamcast games. Cosmic smash in particular is probably my favorite game on the console. It's a simple racquetball/breakout hybrid but drat its good. I would add Rez and Metropolis Street Racer to this list.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I use a Monster Cable Xbox component cable i got at goodwill for $5. Works great.

Edit: don't forget, some Xbox titles will do a great 1080i output too, on top of 720p.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 30, 2017

Parachute
May 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Nlf9Ndj58

this rules, it's like they're fighting during a loading screen or something

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Test Drive Le Mans on the Dreamcast is one of, if not the most technically impressive games on the system. Melbourne House did some really, really impressive work on that. I remember one of the devs was on DCTP back in the day showing off early video and talking about how they got that game to do what it did. I honestly didn't see a racing game that looked or ran as well until the PS3.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Parachute posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Nlf9Ndj58

this rules, it's like they're fighting during a loading screen or something

I make people I know from the FGC play it because it's pretty much one of the actual worst fighting games I've ever played, ahaha :v:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GutBomb posted:

You and I have very similar taste in dreamcast games. Cosmic smash in particular is probably my favorite game on the console. It's a simple racquetball/breakout hybrid but drat its good. I would add Rez and Metropolis Street Racer to this list.

I consider rez to be in that "top 10"/obvious category otherwise yes it would be there, MSR I just forgot about but I do own it and like it

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

I just finished softmodding my original Xbox, and obviously I'm going to need a component cable for 480p/720p stuff now that my PAL Xbox should finally support it. The official MS component cable is presumably one of the best ones but is a bit expensive, are there any cheaper cables that aren't complete poo poo?

Elliotw2 posted:

I bought these extremely cheap ones and they work fine, though they're extremely short, like half the length of the official composite cables.

I use the same one with no issues.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The Super Puzzle Fighter II X port on Dreamcast may still be the definitive home version. Like the fighting games in the "for Matching Service" line it's got a pretty deep set of options, including a language select for the game proper. It was the version that introduced the extra Y and Z modes that play like other puzzle games. The art gallery is different from the one included in the PS1 and GBA ports, and sadly not as good, but otherwise it's great.

Super Street Fighter II X also has an extensive dipswitch menu through which you can roll back various tweaks to move properties/bugs if you're hardcore, or enable playable Shin Akuma or for the first time in SSFII X/Turbo Akuma with the double air fireball AND the Shungokusatsu as his super, if like me you're not hardcore.

If you're curious about Street Fighter III before the 3rd Strike iteration then Dreamcast is the only place to pick up the home port of those two earlier versions. They were the last time SF featured post-match defeat art of the characters. Also the stage backgrounds and music are different from 3rd Strike.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

If you're curious about Street Fighter III before the 3rd Strike iteration then Dreamcast is the only place to pick up the home port of those two earlier versions. They were the last time SF featured post-match defeat art of the characters. Also the stage backgrounds and music are different from 3rd Strike.

I left this off because most people straight up don't care about those games, but the first SFIII is hugely nostalgic for me and I clearly remember how happy I was when that compilation was released, because there was zero CPSIII emulation at the time. when the actual arcade SFIII first came out I was obsessed with it, I had the gamefan strategy guide and used to play it at this arcade that was weirdly run by blockbuster video (blockbuster golf & games). that place was an insane game palace, they had nearly ever crazy cabinet like the Ridge Racer with the real Miata on hydraulics you sat in, all the Virtuality stuff, and an R360 dead in the center. it reminded me of a family friendly version of that arcade from Hackers

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

All that Dreamcast talk couldn't have a better timing because I just got one. :buddy:

I just hope I have the same degree of success burning ISOs for it as I had with the Saturn.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
while we're talking Dreamcast I'll add that I'm counting on y'all to let me know as soon as GDEMU is available for preorder again

Unless there is some alternate/better way to have all the DC games in one place ready to play.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

All that Dreamcast talk couldn't have a better timing because I just got one. :buddy:

I just hope I have the same degree of success burning ISOs for it as I had with the Saturn.

I had pretty good success so far, using 8x on Alcohol or ImgBurn with Taiyo Yuden discs and I don't think I had one failure.

From those recommendations I can vouch that Cosmic smash is a really fun, unique game and some games look surprisingly good even in composite. I got a RGB cable and a cheap-o VGA cable on the way, but sadly my PVM won't support 480p so I guess I'll go with RGB if I can't find a better VGA monitor than my old 17 inch Sony second monitor.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TeaJay posted:

I had pretty good success so far, using 8x on Alcohol or ImgBurn with Taiyo Yuden discs and I don't think I had one failure.

From those recommendations I can vouch that Cosmic smash is a really fun, unique game and some games look surprisingly good even in composite. I got a RGB cable and a cheap-o VGA cable on the way, but sadly my PVM won't support 480p so I guess I'll go with RGB if I can't find a better VGA monitor than my old 17 inch Sony second monitor.

The cheapo VGA cables suck anyway. It's doesn't do everything a VGA box does.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Play cosmic smash with an arcade stick if you have one (for DC you definitely should)

Every DC owner needs one of these in their life:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

Every DC owner needs one of these in their life:

Incorrect.

You need two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

univbee posted: