Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Push El Burrito posted:

Wait, you guys don't flirt by dropping your pants and waving your penis at coworkers?

Not coworkers, but I did this to Margaret Atwood once as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Jaxyon posted:

The practical effect of this is you're going to cause a lot of people who aren't you to suffer.

Mostly because you're protected from your actions and you don't have a solid understanding of politics.

I mean, look at this poo poo. The people who are suffering the most under Trump - black people and women - are the ones who didn't turn out for Hillary. Go tell them they don't have a solid understanding of politics and let me know where that gets you.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://polipace.com/2017/11/26/report-geraldo-rivera-sexually-assaulted-bette-midler-seemingly-admitted/

quote:

It’s amazing that Geraldo Rivera, known for his riveting investigations into empty safes, has a job anymore with FoxNews, after being caught sending nude photos to people on the internet last year. However, we’ve learned recently that he was accused by Better Midler of raping her, and weirdly enough seems to admitted the encounter in his biography to touching her without permission.

According to sources, the claim is that he forced himself into her apartment, and then drugged her and started to grope her. She gave the account also in an interview in Vanity Fair in the early 1990s.

She claims besides forcing himself into her bathroom, he forced her to take “poppers.”

Strangely, Geraldo in his Autobiography called appropriately “Exposing Myself” he seems to confirm the incident, saying that they were preparing for an interview, and as he himself said, “at some point I just put my hands on her breasts…” without permission and “she loved it.”

:munch:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

They made Jimmy Carter sell his peanut farm

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It's like the Battlestar Galactica of bad posting. All these posts have been made before, and all these posts will be made again. Plus, some of the people involved might secretly be robots, and nobody is entirely sure what the plot is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Better midler?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Starshark posted:

You guys dumping on the person who didn't want to vote for Hillary are the reason Trump's going to be a two-termer.

I actually did vote for Hillary. I think protest votes are dumb. But the only election I've skipped out on since I turned 18 was when Rod Balgojevich ran for re-election in Illinois, because I wasn't voting for him and I'm not voting for a Republican.

I don't expect perfection from political candidates, but I'm done with Democrats moving further to the right every four years so their corporate donations don't dry up.

If that upsets any of you, well, keep fretting about millennial voter turnout.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not coworkers, but I did this to Margaret Atwood once as a joke.

You: a virgin clothes wearer
Me: a chad strutting naked around the office
Also me: somehow fired in a surprise twist

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Better midler?

Bette Midler

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Starshark posted:

I mean, look at this poo poo. The people who are suffering the most under Trump - black people and women - are the ones who didn't turn out for Hillary. Go tell them they don't have a solid understanding of politics and let me know where that gets you.

haha dont pretend black people and women agree with you, cowardly dumbass

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tbf i refused to be bothered to vote for bill deblasio but that's because he's a terrible mayor but was going to win easily anyway, so why take time out of my day to support a bad mayor in a foregone conclusion

if it was actually a possibility a republican would win i probably would have bothered

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Bhaal posted:

I caught some of the Macy's parade on thanksgiving at my mom's and watching Matt host it I reflected--as one who doesn't watch daytime TV and certainly not keeping track of knowing poo poo about poo poo of that world--that maybe the women who work around him have always known him as one of the few men, in an industry of butt-pinchers, who reached high profile and power and yet remained decent and respectful.

and welp.

I caught some of the Macy's parade on Thanksgiving at my place while drinking my coffee and setting some dishes up to bring to dinner at a family member's house and I remember reflecting on what my NYC friends who work in television said and I thought to myself "Man Matt Lauer is such a pud looking guy for being such an unrepentant poon hound. I wonder if he really was responsible for Morales' second kid."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i summon all the orphans, cripples, neglected elderly, and the beasts of the land and the sea to my side! come! support me! and help me smite this foul goon who dareth disagree with me, and give power to my impotent guilt tripping and petulant anger! come, i call on you as allies!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
What if - bear with me here - what if we approached elections as a thing we tried to win rather than something to be run in such a way that our primary motivator for turning out the vote is shame? What if we regarded winning as fundamentally more important than plausible deniability when we lose?

Instead of blaming people who stayed home for not caring enough about others (although there is blame to go around there, it hardly seems productive to make it the focus), we blame politicians for not inspiring the turnout? Especially when, once elected, they typically do the bare minimum to protect minorities anyway? Obama certainly did more for extrajudicial killings than Trump ever will, but he could have been President for 50 years and he'd have never solved the problem, the way his Justice Department was going.

We should all demand better, and if we don't get it then we should make sure there is a price to pay. Part of that price is kicking out the fuckers who don't deliver.

I mean there is a time and a place for changing people's minds and showing leadership in that sphere, and in fact a political campaign is a great time to do that. Too bad most Dems don't do that either and Hillary was certainly no exception to that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
e:^^^^^^^^^ you'r ein the wrong thread[

quote="FuturePastNow" post="478847605"]
I actually did vote for Hillary. I think protest votes are dumb. But the only election I've skipped out on since I turned 18 was when Rod Balgojevich ran for re-election in Illinois, because I wasn't voting for him and I'm not voting for a Republican.

I don't expect perfection from political candidates, but I'm done with Democrats moving further to the right every four years so their corporate donations don't dry up.

[/quote]

Show me a Democratic US presidential nominee with a more leftist policy platform than HRC

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

FuturePastNow posted:

Actually, 18 to 34 voter turnout in Virginia this year was super good, even with a guy that the usual offenders liked to occasionally have a two minutes hate about. :unsmith: You do you, guy, no one can force you to vote in a way that you don't want to, and nobody's arguments in this thread are actually going to convince anyone, but Trump's victory seems to have taught most of our cohort an important lesson about involvement in politics. I wish it hadn't taken that, but if there is any long term positive impact of the evil tangelo, it'll be that.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Trump's lived his whole life as a rich businessman; of course he knows people who make a ton of money without actually working.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Push El Burrito posted:

Wait, you guys don't flirt by dropping your pants and waving your penis at coworkers?

I prefer a terrycloth bathrobe. Just drop the belt and whammo!

Is a bathrobe not appropriate office attire where you work?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Show me a Democratic US presidential nominee with a more leftist policy platform than HRC

Bernie Sanders

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kilroy posted:

What if - bear with me here - what if we approached elections as a thing we tried to win rather than something to be run in such a way that our primary motivator for turning out the vote is shame? What if we regarded winning as fundamentally more important than plausible deniability when we lose?

Instead of blaming people who stayed home for not caring enough about others (although there is blame to go around there, it hardly seems productive to make it the focus), we blame politicians for not inspiring the turnout? Especially when, once elected, they typically do the bare minimum to protect minorities anyway? Obama certainly did more for extrajudicial killings than Trump ever will, but he could have been President for 50 years and he'd have never solved the problem, the way his Justice Department was going.

We should all demand better, and if we don't get it then we should make sure there is a price to pay. Part of that price is kicking out the fuckers who don't deliver.

I mean there is a time and a place for changing people's minds and showing leadership in that sphere, and in fact a political campaign is a great time to do that. Too bad most Dems don't do that either and Hillary was certainly no exception to that.

No one wants to argue this with you

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

Bernie Sanders

He wasn't a nominee.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tatsuta Age posted:

Bernie Sanders

learn to read

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WeAreTheRomans posted:

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/progressive-platform-of-1912/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kilroy posted:

what if we ignored stupid people wanting to be praised for being stupid and mocked them instead, then discussed how to win elections without their dumb input

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kilroy posted:

Because realizing that We Messed Up is the reason that Virginia was a crushing defeat for Republicans.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This sort of thing happened quite a bit in Iraq and Afghanistan. Locals feeding bad info to commanders as a way to take out people they don't like, or want something that have. There is no reason to trust local informants in this way, and the commanders should be court martialed and imprisoned for murder.

I ran sources for the army in Iraq, anyone who just blindly trusts folks and doesn't verify is a goddamned idiot.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Kilroy posted:

I'm not interested in running a political campaign about shaming nonvoters. The thing is, I'm not a campaign consultant, I'm a poster on the Something Awful forums, so I feel 100% comfortable calling abstentionism asinine, and a contributing factor in the nightmare we live in.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

disjoe posted:

He wasn't a nominee.

He was a presidential candidate and is now a grammy nominee sooo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Better midler?

Fair to Midler

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kilroy posted:

We already have a thread for this poo poo.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

That's kinda cool, and I phrased the request like I did because I wanted to see something like this, but this was not the Democratic party

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah Northam outperformed his polling by about 5 points off the back of exceptional young Dem turnout even after shooting himself in the foot on a bunch of issues. Which should disprove a lot of assumptions that some people here have had but, well.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Kilroy posted:

Hey here's two simultaneously true things:

1. It would be good if the Democratic Party fielded inspiring candidates.
2. Individually refusing to vote because "they're all the same" is stupid and bad.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

evilweasel posted:

what if we ignored stupid people wanting to be praised for being stupid and mocked them instead, then discussed how to win elections without their dumb input
"What if we accused party-line voters who are nonetheless heavily dissatisfied with the party, of being Republicans."

The lesson you dumb fucks are going to take from Virginia is that no major changes need be made. And in the short term it will play out because the GOP is pretty loving terrible right now. Eventually they'll get their act together. People like you are going to get the rest of us all killed, you stupid idiot gently caress.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The 'trigger' doesn't really sound like a done deal and there's a big chance that it explodes into a new dispute tomorrow.

quote:

According to information leaked to Bloomberg News, one version of the trigger currently under discussion involves $350 billion in tax hikes beginning in 2022 if the promised growth fails to materialize. The exact size of the tax increase would be determined by the size of the economic shortfall. Another version detailed by Politico involved hiking the corporate tax rate by 1 percent if GDP doesn’t grow an average of 0.4 percent over the five years after the law is enacted.

A final version may never see the light of day.

At least four senators – Dean Heller (R-NV), Thom Tillis (R-NC), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), and John Kennedy (R-LA) – say they’re opposed to the idea of a deficit trigger. Grassley told TPM on Tuesday that it would inject uncertainty into the economy. On the House side, several lawmakers have also come out against the idea, and powerful conservative advocacy groups are mobilizing as well.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/the-wheels-are-coming-off-the-tax-bills-promised-deficit-trigger

More detail on the trigger:

quote:

The size of a tax increase would correlate to the size of any shortfall. It would come in the form of an increase in the corporate tax rate and a new tax on the difference between corporate book income -- that is, the income reported to shareholders -- and actual taxable income.

The Senate parliamentarian will have to decide whether the revenue trigger provision meets the Senate Byrd Rule, which wouldn’t allow for any provisions in the legislation that don’t have direct fiscal effects.

If trigger fails the Byrd rule, then an alternative plan would call for the bill to simply contain a tax increase or increases beginning in 2022. A future Congress would have to repeal the increase.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-29/senate-tax-trigger-is-said-to-allow-for-350-billion-increase

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's always weird when two or more entirely different conversations are going on concurrently in one thread. My head keeps spinning.

and furthermore if you disable a wild pig with a crossbow and capture it, you can ransom it to the dwellers of the appalachian 'mountains'

NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Any of them because no one believed a single word that two-faced shuckster said.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Kilroy, please take it to the thunderdome

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You don't have to participate. No one is forcing you to. But if you don't then you don't get to complain when things turn to poo poo. That's how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

"What if we accused party-line voters who are nonetheless heavily dissatisfied with the party, of being Republicans."

The lesson you dumb fucks are going to take from Virginia is that no major changes need be made. And in the short term it will play out because the GOP is pretty loving terrible right now. Eventually they'll get their act together. People like you are going to get the rest of us all killed, you stupid idiot gently caress.

this is some of the most sad rear end projection i've seen itt and that's saying something

"how dare you disagree with me! i'm going to imagine that you are literally killing me, and then accuse you of facilitating my death! what do you think about that, smart guy?!"

you have brain problems irl

• Locked thread