Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

From what I'm reading get the Neutral ending is really annoying to get in SMT IV. I'm guessing just decide between Law and Chaos? I'd really prefer a Nocturne system but the rest of the game is good so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The issue is that you can't explicitly pick Neutral, you have to balance Law/Chaos within a pretty narrow window and only have vague ingame measures of your standing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's annoying because there is no in-game point system to keep track of where you are at (though I don't think any SMT title has this) and because there is a choice you make near the end of the game that is very chaotic or very law, and if you are perfectly neutral up to that point you WILL get either chaos/law and not neutral. So you basically have to be very slightly chaotic/lawful, then make the opposite alignment choice at the end.

So I guess yeah, it is annoying? I still tried for it because no Chaos/Law ending has ever been compelling for me in SMT.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Also, once you actually manage to get on the neutral path, there's a plot roadblock that makes you go back and do almost every sidequest in the game before you can progress to the endgame. This can range from no problem if you're the sort of person who does every sidequest as they come up anyway, to a huge annoyance if you ignored a bunch of them.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I thought there's a guy at each of the bars who will tell you your current alignment, though not how far you are on either side. It's been awhile since I played, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There is. I would have given up on even trying to get Neutral if I hadn't randomly stumbled into it near the end and then mapped out every dialogue option for the rest of the game to keep myself balanced.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There is an incredibly narrow window that you have to hit if you want the neutral ending, somewhere in the range of 16 points right in the middle of a 200 point spectrum. I think it's also possible to be too neutral because one of the last choices swings you like 10 points towards Law or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I got the neutral ending on my first blind run so it's not impossible (I was definitely lucky tho because of that final choice that was mentioned), but it is a really awful decision on the dev's part to make it work like it does

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Endorph posted:

Basing all your conclusions about an entire culture off of a random JRPG company being shitheads is moronic and some of the poo poo people have said these past few pages is insanely racist and also not really material to the point. There's gay and trans positive poo poo from Japan from 1995, and at this point in Japan there is a slow but growing acceptance of homosexuality and transsexuality. There are a variety of reasons why it's not immediately reflected in all of its media ever. Atlus is an old company with heads that are old, you can see this in everything from Persona using fairly outdated school systems to, yes, its attitudes towards LGBT stuff.

Furthermore, you have to understand how these things are categorized in nerd media in Japan. 'Yuri' and 'Yaoi' are genres onto themselves - they run in magazines specifically dedicated to them, their marketing heavily features these things even if it's just implied. On the one hand, this means that there's a thriving corner of the market for independent creators who want to tell these stories - on the other hand, the stories told can be repetitive and 'safe' due to needing to appeal to fairly small demographics. Likewise, it means that companies that are bigger than those small magazines don't feel any need to pander to them, feeling that their needs are met. There is an abundance of incredibly well-written LGBT media in Japan, and this stuff has been published for years and actually made money off of, but you have to go to the places that are specifically designated for it, which means there's little cross-pollination with more 'mainstream' things. Combine that with a conservative company like Atlus and you get the situation with Persona.

Similarily, unlike in America where a series' target demographic is generally associated with the gender of its protagonist, Japan doesn't really make that assumption. This isn't even a recent thing - Gundam is and always has been insanely popular with women ever since it first aired, and its only recently that women have dropped off. List of gundam series with female protagonists: 0. List of gundam series where the women even do that much: Like, Turn-A. And when they wanted to reach that demographic again, they hired a female writer known for her dramas... who made a story where the entire main cast is male save for one character. And it wasn't a breakthrough success, but it was decently popular with women.

Likewise, sports anime like Haikyuu and Slam Dunk - things where the roles for female characters are extremely limited just because they're about male sports teams - are *insanely* popular with women these days, to the point that they've basically supplanted the male fanbase in the eyes of the people who promote and publish those series.

So a female protagonist is not a decoder ring to tapping into a female fanbase. If you spend five minutes watching video of Persona live reveals and stuff, listen to the audience. Lots of female cheering. And who do they cheer loudest for? The male self-insert protagonist. Yu, Minato, and Akira are all incredibly popular with women.

And Persona already *has* been pandering to a female fanbase in this method. Adachi was insanely popular with women, so they added stuff that gave him and Yu interactions and made him more sympathetic, and made him playable in Ultimax, and played up his tension with Yu in the Golden anime. Goro is basically a calculated attempt to achieve that kind of popularity in a slightly more marketable character - a teenage boy who does bad stuff but at least isn't a serial rapist. And it worked, from what I've seen - the male fanbase is ambivalent towards Goro or outright hates him, but most women I've seen - especially on Japanese boards - love him.

Japan is a very conservative country, I'm not arguing that, but you do have to actually understand the ways in which it is conservative and the ways in which what marketing thinks and what the audiences expect differ from the US, instead of just going 'no female main character? they must hate women and not want them to play these games!"

For the record, I want a female protagonist too, all the female characters in P5 get really shafted except Futaba, and the director of P3-P5 is a gigantic creep. also be sure to go to rainbow burrito in japan if you want a good gay burrito.

lol @ complaining about bigotry and using "transexual" in the same paragraph in 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol @ complaining about bigotry and using "transexual" in the same paragraph in 2017

thanks for distilling a great informative post down to 'you used a slightly problematic word for 2017 so gently caress you'

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If SMTV sells well, guarantee you we'll get the Persona 5 Deluxe Edition whatever on the Switch (and all the rest). Heck, probably independent of sales, they'll wanna get it on there. I know I'd probably buy Persona 5 again if I could get it portable.

I wouldn’t mind since I own both but for whatever reason Persona is only Sony and all other SMT seems to be nintendo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wouldn’t mind since I own both but for whatever reason Persona is only Sony and all other SMT seems to be nintendo

What about Persona Q (yeah I know it’s a spin-off of a spin-off)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's no way they'd choose the vita over the switch for any persona 5 portable thing in the future. I have to imagine the reasoning behind p3p and p4g being on sony handhelds had way more to do with the fact that the ds/3ds couldn't have possibly run them than anything else

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

I still tried for it because no Chaos/Law ending has ever been compelling for me in SMT.
*record scratch* Say what?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's no way they'd choose the vita over the switch for any persona 5 portable thing in the future. I have to imagine the reasoning behind p3p and p4g being on sony handhelds had way more to do with the fact that the ds/3ds couldn't have possibly run them than anything else

I feel like P3P and P4G could have run just fine on the DS/3DS respectively, they're not the most graphically demanding games out there

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the visual novel style of P3P is really cool imo and it wasn't really until Persona 5 and it's cool group animations that I'd have a problem if that's just how Persona games were

also endorph is right

Expect My Mom posted:

[in the voice of the kid from the gi joe help computer video] well i dont know much about japan other than animes i got at my house and my mom got a couple persona games on the computer and i played those

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pablo Gigante posted:

I feel like P3P and P4G could have run just fine on the DS/3DS respectively, they're not the most graphically demanding games out there

P3P would have to be virtually rebuilt to run on the DS.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

both would

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You're a loving dumbass, dude.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Porting what's essentially PS2 games would be much more straightforward to do for the 3DS than the DS.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They already completely rebuilt it to work on PSP, I’m sure they could make it work on DS if they wanted to

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Just port everything to Steam thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

I’m sure they could make it work on DS if they wanted to

What a pointless statement

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally every trans person i know uses that term freely and i clearly didn't use it an in an offensive or demeaning way but okay dude, you caught me, that giant post about how trans people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect was actually a psy-op for how i hate them

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rinkles posted:

What a pointless statement

Y-yeah? I’m just rebutting Manatee Cannon’s that the only reason it couldn’t be on DS is because it couldn’t possibly run on it. I’m sure the main reason was money related

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mean... the psp was pretty popular in japan but there's no way p4g wouldn't have made way more money on 3ds everywhere. there's a reason they don't release their other games on those platforms

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean... the psp was pretty popular in japan but there's no way p4g wouldn't have made way more money on 3ds everywhere. there's a reason they don't release their other games on those platforms

Yeah and it's probably more like this, only replace "they" with Sony and "my house" with Atlus

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

persona is not as big as you seem to think

e: also lol at the idea that sony would pay anyone to make a vita exclusive

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

persona is not as big as you seem to think

I know it's not enormously huge but it literally sold Vita systems at the very least

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the vita was successful in japan and has a demographic that is more suited for persona

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

All I'm saying is that Persona games could theoretically work on DS/3DS and that I think there's probably financial reasons for them to develop for Sony's less popular handhelds.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Endorph's post was good and helpful.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't P4G literally made people buy like 100k units of the Vita (or maybe more? I can't remember) just because the game came out on the Vita?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wark Say posted:

Didn't P4G literally made people buy like 100k units of the Vita (or maybe more? I can't remember) just because the game came out on the Vita?

Yeah it sold a bunch of Vitas

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Just port everything to Steam thanks.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sylphie is a good girl! :colbert:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

my girlfriend describes herself as transexual so you can go gently caress yourself you piece of poo poo

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Guilty. Also, if there are numbers on Persona 5 selling more units of the PS4, guilty as well.
Also, today I actually applied something that I learned in Persona 5. The cough syrup I was taking tasted better than usual because it had some kind of chocolate taste to it, and I wondered if it was just a fragrance like in the shaved ice classroom question, so I pinched my nose and tried it - BLECH. Just regular ol' Robitussin without the scent.
And they said I'd never learn anything in anime high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Sylphie is a good girl! :colbert:

do you think she plays SMT