Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Radical posted:

if you mean the timebreaker it is not worth that much anymore

Welp thanks anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

I think my only valuable item is this dumb void mace that's worth like $90. How do I sell it for real money and not steam dollars?

Timebreaker's worth like 15 bucks now.

Before you feel bad, I had two Lockjaws from TI2. Sold one for $300, kept the other for when the price went up.

They go for $80 now. :rip:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
When the pudge dragon hook came out, I got two of them from chests. Not realizing they’d be worth shitloads one day, I traded one away for something else from the chest that I actually wanted, and then I gave the other to a buddy of mine who actually played Pudge.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

CodfishCartographer posted:

When the pudge dragon hook came out, I got two of them from chests. Not realizing they’d be worth shitloads one day, I traded one away for something else from the chest that I actually wanted, and then I gave the other to a buddy of mine who actually played Pudge.

Lol, is his name Wilson? He has the Dragonclaw and had the same story except he was given it by a friend before anyone knew what it would be worth.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The true value of skins is how much joy the ones you want bring you. :allears:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Oh really? How am I supposed to compare my joy to yours then???? I NEED to know I possess the most joy points.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I just wish I had more dotahats to bet, I lost all my dupes and I'm currently waiting on the frostivus event to get some.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Frostivus is never going to happen.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

I traded one for some crappy $.50 rare that was also in the chest. I cashed out my hook, timebreaker, and alpine ursa years ago and regret nothing

Also my game quality is basically back to normal now after a big loss streak from playing while everyone was recalibrating. I’m taking a break for a week when ranks reset again.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 29, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

turboraton posted:

I just wish I had more dotahats to bet, I lost all my dupes and I'm currently waiting on the frostivus event to get some.

That picture of the skeleton lying on the keyboard.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Frostivus is going to be a custom game made by the community and riot doesn't want to allow custom games to drop cosmetics

you'll prolly get like, a game pass for a custom game that lets you wear the custom game cosmetics

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Neurolimal posted:

Frostivus is going to be a custom game made by the community and riot doesn't want to allow custom games to drop cosmetics

you'll prolly get like, a game pass for a custom game that lets you wear the custom game cosmetics

Only $1/month (per cosmetic, surcharges apply for arcanas and immortals, s&h not included, tax not included)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I feel weird saying this but I think jungle WK is actually decent right now, his Q is as good for ganking as ever and mortal strike skeletons are absolutely busted early game.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

thinking emoji

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I feel weird saying this but I think jungle WK is actually decent right now, his Q is as good for ganking as ever and mortal strike skeletons are absolutely busted early game.

no

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i love my dead gay game

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The skeletons kinda suck for jungling because one second they're being useful and tanking neutrals for you and then they randomly run to mid or the offlane and push the wave at random times which is even worse than having a jungler.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wait they actually added LoL style summons that just kinda hang around and help you, no micro involved? Didn't want to scare away those Boner King mains, I guess.

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 30, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elman posted:

Wait they actually added LoL style summons that just kinda hang around and help you, no micro involved? Didn't want to scare away those Boner King mains, I guess.

Yep, at least you can choose when to summon them.

they're pretty good and persistent at chasing heroes though, its just that they turn into extra lane creeps when they dont find a hero or camp.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Triple Shadow Shaman Wards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1O3O6YrR6o

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
holy lmao

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

The skeletons kinda suck for jungling because one second they're being useful and tanking neutrals for you and then they randomly run to mid or the offlane and push the wave at random times which is even worse than having a jungler.

Who cares about jungling with them? You save smoke into lane, fireball someone, and then bodyblock them in with yourself + skeletons hitting for ~40 damage.

Neurolimal posted:

Yep, at least you can choose when to summon them.

they're pretty good and persistent at chasing heroes though, its just that they turn into extra lane creeps when they dont find a hero or camp.

The worst part is that they attack things that are WFB stunned, but not slowed. :what:

If they were actually controllable they'd be awesome, but they're still really good for getting first blood.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm confused as how you get enough charges for first blood especially when neutrals dont spawn until the 1m mark and first blood can be easily around the bounty runes.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yea SS with aghs and the 3-hit talent is INCREDIBLY powerful. He can very easily solo rat / be your win condition. Nice clip.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If you don't start fireball because people aren't fighting, first blood probably isn't going to happen for a few minutes.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
whats the thing that refreshed him after his refresher

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Level 25 talents own

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

whats the thing that refreshed him after his refresher

A refresher shard. Its new and drops on Roshan's third death.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

RisqueBarber posted:

A refresher shard. Its new and drops on Roshan's third death.

holy poo poo well that makes roshan kills a lot more valuable

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I’m new to this game and I’ve mostly been having fun. I’ve only played unranked so far. I kind of want to at least be familiar with all the heroes before I try ranked, so I’ve been reading about each hero’s abilities when I have a spare moment. The knowledge base required to play this game well is just ridiculous, isn’t it?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Base Camp Blanket posted:

I’m new to this game and I’ve mostly been having fun. I’ve only played unranked so far. I kind of want to at least be familiar with all the heroes before I try ranked, so I’ve been reading about each hero’s abilities when I have a spare moment. The knowledge base required to play this game well is just ridiculous, isn’t it?

It's...a lot. I've been playing on/off for at least 10 years and it's, by far, the hardest game to introduce people to. In Dota 1 there was no punishment for leavers, no matchmaking(you had no idea if you were playing new players or experts), rampant cheating on the Warcraft 3 engine, and then of course the toxic community. The game has come a long way to help beginners but the vast amount of heroes, skills, and items makes the game incredibly hard to master. I've played a lot of games and there's still a lot of heroes that I don't fully understand because I haven't taken the time to play them. I can count on one hand how many games of Arc Warden, Oracle, and Monkey King games I've played and they were released a year or two ago.

As everyone says in their pubs, "game is hard".

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
> Relax, you're doing fine.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

RisqueBarber posted:

It's...a lot. I've been playing on/off for at least 10 years and it's, by far, the hardest game to introduce people to. In Dota 1 there was no punishment for leavers, no matchmaking(you had no idea if you were playing new players or experts), rampant cheating on the Warcraft 3 engine, and then of course the toxic community. The game has come a long way to help beginners but the vast amount of heroes, skills, and items makes the game incredibly hard to master. I've played a lot of games and there's still a lot of heroes that I don't fully understand because I haven't taken the time to play them. I can count on one hand how many games of Arc Warden, Oracle, and Monkey King games I've played and they were released a year or two ago.

As everyone says in their pubs, "game is hard".

This loving game

There is really no way to get anyone in to this game. I wouldn't inflict this game on my best friend. It demands way too much of you, for way too little pay off

Why don't you take up a nice heroin habit instead?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Well, I’m no stranger to hard games. I’ve played thousands of hours of both chess and Starcraft 2, and I can tell you that through diligent effort I became thoroughly mediocre at both of them. With both games I often asked myself if this was really the best use of my time, but by now I’ve accepted that nothing grabs my attention like learning a new hard game.

The cool thing about DOTA is that each time I do learn something, I am able to apply it in a game almost immediately. For example, when I found out how deadly Axe can be with a Blink Dagger and Blademail combo, I was able to use that to my advantage in my very next game. I’m playing against equally big noobs, so they aren’t ready for it.

With Starcraft, you can look up a great build but totally fail to hit your timings if your mechanics aren’t good enough. I had APM frustrations in that game, so it’s kind of refreshing to replace them with knowledge difficulties. It’s a new knot to untangle. And APM definitely seems less important in DOTA, though I’m sure the best players are incredibly fast when they need to be.

Anyway, it is overwhelming, but it’s been more fun than frustrating so far. We’ll see how it’s going a couple hundred hours from now.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
There are a couple heroes with higher potential APM requirements (Meepo, arguably Tinker), but for the most part APM isn't that useful above a fairly low threshold.

Laning has a bunch of fiddly mechanical things that you can absolutely get better at: compare a random 2k player's CS in lane to a professional carry player on a stream, for example. Like economy in SC2, your ability to CS has a big impact on how fast you hit your item timings and start to have a bigger impact on the game.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Base Camp Blanket posted:

Well, I’m no stranger to hard games. I’ve played thousands of hours of both chess and Starcraft 2, and I can tell you that through diligent effort I became thoroughly mediocre at both of them. With both games I often asked myself if this was really the best use of my time, but by now I’ve accepted that nothing grabs my attention like learning a new hard game.

The cool thing about DOTA is that each time I do learn something, I am able to apply it in a game almost immediately. For example, when I found out how deadly Axe can be with a Blink Dagger and Blademail combo, I was able to use that to my advantage in my very next game. I’m playing against equally big noobs, so they aren’t ready for it.

With Starcraft, you can look up a great build but totally fail to hit your timings if your mechanics aren’t good enough. I had APM frustrations in that game, so it’s kind of refreshing to replace them with knowledge difficulties. It’s a new knot to untangle. And APM definitely seems less important in DOTA, though I’m sure the best players are incredibly fast when they need to be.

Anyway, it is overwhelming, but it’s been more fun than frustrating so far. We’ll see how it’s going a couple hundred hours from now.

Funnily enough I'm in exactly the opposite position as a longtime dota player who's just getting into starcraft. Now THAT'S a hard game.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
my win rate on heroes who get cs for free like axe and zeus is higher than my total winrate by as much as like 8% . having more gold is really good.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

uninverted posted:

Funnily enough I'm in exactly the opposite position as a longtime dota player who's just getting into starcraft. Now THAT'S a hard game.

Mechanically it is much harder than Dota. But it will definitely take you less time to learn what you should be doing and when you should be doing it. So that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh so they hid MMR and now there's a loving number rank on everyone's names? Egos are going crazy on this poo poo. Just had an AM call me an autist because I said that an AM should beat an ES 1v1. He maxed blink and proceeded to whine all game. Ranked 500 overall! thehehehe this sucks.