Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I have an old game song stuck in my head but I can't remember what its from and its driving me crazy. I don't know how to search for it other than finding the notes using a keyboard and then playing it, or recording myself humming it or something stupid like that :(

It'd be a pretty classic dos game, simpler music than Doom so something like wolfenstein or warcraft 1 but not those. Crap.

Monty on the Run. Robocop.

I'd need the keyboard notes or the recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Check Hocus pocus, that had somewhat memorable music and is from that era. Maybe Marble Madness?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The White Dragon posted:

secrets of grindea. it was okay, still unfinished. as the name implies, there's a lot of grinding on weak rear end enemies for extremely marginal benefits, but you need them because gaining levels is slow as molasses. there's also no instanced loot; the best they do is "fair split" so the game (sort of) distributes the drops no matter who picks them up. but when enemies drop only one item, like bosses do, their system doesn't know how to handle it and just randomly chooses a recipient, so you can easily go for extremely long stretches where you're trying to grind a boss and the same guy keeps getting the drop.

development seems to have stalled out, the game is maybe 40-50% finished? two years ago, they were showing off some assets for a new dungeon. a few months ago, they made a news update for the game and showed... exactly the same thing they had two years ago.

unfortunately, the devs were way too obsessed with a binary divide between Ultra Hardcore Difficulty and Weakling Baby Difficulty. on the highest difficulty, enemies act quickly and attack aggressively, but they kill you in four hits or less and the game turns into kind of a bullet hell. on any lower difficulty, enemies do actually reasonable damage, but they also don't attack at all. also it doesn't have any on-demand healing. please enjoy it

Oh, I think that's the one, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zaphod42 posted:

I have an old game song stuck in my head but I can't remember what its from and its driving me crazy. I don't know how to search for it other than finding the notes using a keyboard and then playing it, or recording myself humming it or something stupid like that :(

It'd be a pretty classic dos game, simpler music than Doom so something like wolfenstein or warcraft 1 but not those. Crap.

Hum it, or record yourself playing it. Or, as previously mentioned, write the notes out here.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It was probably this OP, very memorable iconic tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0-Us_jumQ

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its bothering me enough I guess I'll record it. Took me a sec but I can still remember it. Its definitely super lo-fi so like early DOS / amiga. Something like wolfenstein or lemmings or dune 2...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well lemmings was all classical (the first one anyway)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm also trying to put a song to a game but if I hum it I will sound like a complete buffoon. I could've sworn it was Majora's Mask but going through that game's frustratingly huge soundtrack I don't think I heard it. It was definitely PS1/N64 era because I recall a youtube guy doing a "scariest songs in non-horror games" video and this song was used as the interstitial and his focus is on that era. If I could remember the video it would be a big help but whatever.

Anyway the song lacks a strong melody and the most prominent feature is some kind of sampled tribal chanting. But it's not really chanting like the Ocarina Fire Temple, it almost sounds like someone sampled the sand raiders from Star Wars and made a song out of it. It dips and swells, with a few periods that the tusken raider chanting sort of fades away to silence before picking up again. I can't remember the context but it has to be some kind of ominous scene like a temple or crypt.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is it this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPdlj7o1j6g

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That's not it but the composition is close. Just replace the screeching with a Tusken Raider "hurr hurr" that noise, whatever instrument it was supposed to be, was unmistakable.

It really reminded me of Koji Kondo's Zelda output before they orchestrated the music. It's obviously a collection of sound library samples that he strung together into a weird ambient song.

edit
This isn't it but it's another song I can't put to the game, what's the song starting at 20 seconds in?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 30, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Kind of a long shot but here we go: This is a game from the 80s, atari/amiga era. It was a platformer, where you had multiple floors, if you left either the bottom or top of the screen you would end up in another part of a dungeon. The character you played was fairly large, fairly sophisticated game. It utilized a keyboard, and you had many many different commands you could input for various attack and movement types. For example you could press a key to windup a punch and press it again to complete the punch, but then if you pressed like three other keys or something he would punch up or down, very sluggish and difficult controls. Unfortunately thats the only lead Ive got, but Im hoping it's fairly unique for the time to use such a complex control scheme, that you had so many different commands, like extending a knee with one key and pressing another key you would kick, if you pressed a different key you would just walk forward. I dont know if Im describing or remembering that correctly, but its one of the few ancient games that eludes me to this day.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If we're doing music requests, I might as well try my hand at describing a couple I can't find.

The first one is probably from an snes/genesis or ps1 game. It's very mechanical/industrial sounding. It's not Devil's Lab from FF6, but it's in the ballpark. I think it's about 85 BPM and has a time signature similar to SMB3's underworld theme.

The second one is this. If anyone played the Champions Online beta, there's a location called Devil's Head Mesa which used to have this play when you entered the zone. However, a few weeks before going live, they changed it. I've actually heard of it before either in another game or a movie, it might just be some sort of stock heroic music. I've never been able to put a proper name to it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Freakazoid_ posted:

The second one is this. If anyone played the Champions Online beta, there's a location called Devil's Head Mesa which used to have this play when you entered the zone. However, a few weeks before going live, they changed it. I've actually heard of it before either in another game or a movie, it might just be some sort of stock heroic music. I've never been able to put a proper name to it.
SoundHound identifies this as "Dark Vengeance" off "Serious Trailers Vol. 1" by Northbook Film Collective. It's on Spotify, but I don't have an account so I can't confirm.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Freakazoid_ posted:

If we're doing music requests, I might as well try my hand at describing a couple I can't find.

The first one is probably from an snes/genesis or ps1 game. It's very mechanical/industrial sounding. It's not Devil's Lab from FF6, but it's in the ballpark. I think it's about 85 BPM and has a time signature similar to

SMRPG factory?

https://youtu.be/td0-5DrsQNI

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
Ok so every couple years I try to find this game my friend and I played in the 80s. And I always fail and end up replaying space quest. It was definitely on the commodore 64 and it was... kind of a space platformer? You were, as I recall, a dude in a space suit with the oxygen tank and such. You could jump and had a little thrust you could use to slow falls and "fly" for short periods. And I recall the levels being like purple-blue? I want to say it had opera or phantom in the title but that's never helped me out in finding anything.

Anyway if anyone knows what this was I would be super grateful.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Could that be Jetpac? I remember playing it as a minigame in Donky Kong 64. It has two sequels, Lunar Jetman and Solar Jetman: Hunt for the Golden Warpship. There's also a Jetpac clone called TimJim that I found a video of when I looked this up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mulloy posted:

Ok so every couple years I try to find this game my friend and I played in the 80s. And I always fail and end up replaying space quest. It was definitely on the commodore 64 and it was... kind of a space platformer? You were, as I recall, a dude in a space suit with the oxygen tank and such. You could jump and had a little thrust you could use to slow falls and "fly" for short periods. And I recall the levels being like purple-blue? I want to say it had opera or phantom in the title but that's never helped me out in finding anything.

Reminds me of a game I played that I'm pretty sure was on Commoder 64. It had like 3-5 different game styles, I think, but the only one I remember at all was a side-view labyrinth kind of thing, kind of like La-Mulana (so, 3-4 different possible elevations that platforms could be on, levels mostly consisting of corridors connected by vertical shafts). There was stuff like spikes on the floor that you had to jet over, and ISTR your oxygen or maybe fuel was decreasing steadily and you had to find tanks to replenish it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Freakazoid_ posted:

The first one is probably from an snes/genesis or ps1 game. It's very mechanical/industrial sounding. It's not Devil's Lab from FF6, but it's in the ballpark. I think it's about 85 BPM and has a time signature similar to SMB3's underworld theme.

Maybe this one from FF7?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8o9gGOKEg4

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Mulloy posted:

Phantom of the Asteroid?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Kind of a long shot but here we go: This is a game from the 80s, atari/amiga era. It was a platformer, where you had multiple floors, if you left either the bottom or top of the screen you would end up in another part of a dungeon. The character you played was fairly large, fairly sophisticated game. It utilized a keyboard, and you had many many different commands you could input for various attack and movement types. For example you could press a key to windup a punch and press it again to complete the punch, but then if you pressed like three other keys or something he would punch up or down, very sluggish and difficult controls. Unfortunately thats the only lead Ive got, but Im hoping it's fairly unique for the time to use such a complex control scheme, that you had so many different commands, like extending a knee with one key and pressing another key you would kick, if you pressed a different key you would just walk forward. I dont know if Im describing or remembering that correctly, but its one of the few ancient games that eludes me to this day.

Aztec on the Apple II had complex controls, but predates the Amiga.

Mulloy posted:

Back To Reality?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

al-azad posted:

I'm also trying to put a song to a game but if I hum it I will sound like a complete buffoon. I could've sworn it was Majora's Mask but going through that game's frustratingly huge soundtrack I don't think I heard it. It was definitely PS1/N64 era because I recall a youtube guy doing a "scariest songs in non-horror games" video and this song was used as the interstitial and his focus is on that era. If I could remember the video it would be a big help but whatever.

Anyway the song lacks a strong melody and the most prominent feature is some kind of sampled tribal chanting. But it's not really chanting like the Ocarina Fire Temple, it almost sounds like someone sampled the sand raiders from Star Wars and made a song out of it. It dips and swells, with a few periods that the tusken raider chanting sort of fades away to silence before picking up again. I can't remember the context but it has to be some kind of ominous scene like a temple or crypt.

is it this?

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Phantom of the Asteroid?

Oh my god you're a hero. That was totally it. I kept trying to find it because the music was amazing for a game when I was like 7 or 8.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MMAgCh posted:

SoundHound identifies this as "Dark Vengeance" off "Serious Trailers Vol. 1" by Northbook Film Collective. It's on Spotify, but I don't have an account so I can't confirm.

I don't have one either, but I'm going to call that found. Thanks.

Sorry, these aren't it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay this is the dumbest poo poo I've done to find a video game but I either made this song up, it was an original piece someone did for their youtube gaming channel, or I'm grossly misremembering it from a mishmash of Koji Kondo's weird lo-fi "I just discovered Hollywood samples and I'm composing this Zelda game" music + that distinct fruityloops as hell style music that dominated the Playstation.

Creepy song that I just know has to be from a video game!!!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

al-azad posted:

Pyro theme from Sacrifice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp8Fo575dGo

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

al-azad posted:

Okay this is the dumbest poo poo I've done to find a video game but I either made this song up, it was an original piece someone did for their youtube gaming channel, or I'm grossly misremembering it from a mishmash of Koji Kondo's weird lo-fi "I just discovered Hollywood samples and I'm composing this Zelda game" music + that distinct fruityloops as hell style music that dominated the Playstation.

Creepy song that I just know has to be from a video game!!!

Swedish Chef Goes to Hell for the 32X.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No, it wasn't this complex. It really was like guttural tribal throat singing or something.

It might not even be a "song" it might just be ambient noise in an area.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Gromit posted:

Aztec on the Apple II had complex controls, but predates the Amiga.

Aztec jumped to mind for me too, but yeah too old. That was a tough game though. That and Dark Castle always got the best of me as a kid

Bob Morlock
Aug 22, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm thinking factory theme from Kirby 64.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

That's not it either.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pneub posted:

Swedish Chef Goes to Hell for the 32X.
:lol:

I actually went to check if that was a real game, too. :downs:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So unless I've lost my mind, I remember seeing goons posting about some strategy/RPG/kingdom management game that had a faction of ducks. Specifically, they were saying do not gently caress with the ducks or they will ruin you. Maybe I don't have the genre correct, but the Duck Faction was definitely a thing and I wanted to check the game out. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Definitely a PC game.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 3, 2017

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Meridian posted:

So unless I've lost my mind, I remember seeing goons posting about some strategy/RPG/kingdom management game that had a faction of ducks. Specifically, they were saying do not gently caress with the ducks or they will ruin you. Maybe I don't have the genre correct, but the Duck Faction was definitely a thing and I wanted to check the game out. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Definitely a PC game.

It's King of Dragon Pass.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Meridian posted:

Definitely a PC game.

It's King of Dragon Pass. It's very good and you can get it on Steam or GoG I'm pretty sure. And Android, iPhone, too.

Edit: son of a bitch

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Chinook posted:

It's King of Dragon Pass. It's very good and you can get it on Steam or GoG I'm pretty sure. And Android, iPhone, too.

Edit: son of a bitch

Thank you! It has been bothering me for a long time.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

The weird control scheme reminds me of Psygnosis' "Barbarian", they also made another game with the same controls: "Obliterator".

Barbarian longplay.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This was an older multiplayer mod, not a game itself. I wanna say HL1 mod. Might have been HL2.

It was basically Half Life meets Call of Duty. There were reinforcements that had to be run out, you could have your leg broken if you fell too far or got shot in the leg with a high-caliber round, there was a belt-fed SMG (MP5 IIRC) that was eventually removed for being crazy OP, and it had bandages. I remember it being one of the first multiplayer mods that had bandages (Or maybe just the first one I ever played).

I vaguely recall a submarine on one map, just as decoration. There were lots of jungle maps that were just blocky as hell but super fun.

Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

khy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 7, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

khy posted:

This was an older multiplayer mod, not a game itself. I wanna say HL1 mod. Might have been HL2.

It was basically Half Life meets Call of Duty. There were reinforcements that had to be run out, you could have your leg broken if you fell too far or got shot in the leg with a high-caliber round, there was a belt-fed SMG (MP5 IIRC) that was eventually removed for being crazy OP, and it had bandages. I remember it being one of the first multiplayer mods that had bandages (Or maybe just the first one I ever played).

I vaguely recall a submarine on one map, just as decoration. There were lots of jungle maps that were just blocky as hell but super fun.

Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Pretty sure this is Firearms

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah that sounds like Firearms to me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

It was firearms! I had so much fun with that. Couldn't remember the name for the life of me, thank you guys!