Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

i'll get back to that later. I need a little space from Contra's stuff for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Can you ask Obscurus Lupa to wear a swimsuit for a episode of Baywatching?

Can you coat your genitals with a mixture of pineapple and papaya juice for a few days?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
apparently the core point is that it's a 'discussion' not a 'debate' and about general left vs right things rather than pure trans issues...Which like...ok? It feels like she's responding to just half the criticism there.

Also the crazy 'feminism was what made transitioning bad' lady is the MODERATOR not a participant. Don't worry, Contra respects her so it'll be fine.

e: and since it was asked

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/936064882956492800

the money is going right to them, yea

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 30, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This all just feels so insanely naive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think...she genuinely doesn't understand the issues being raised? Like she seems to think 'walking into a trap' means people literally believe they're gonna...I guess dump pigs blood on her Carrie style and chant "loving COMMIE" at her?

Also fuckin sweet. "No no they banned that ONE guy who hated jews, it's cool now"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow, just wow. How could anyone see this and think "Hey this is perfectly reasonable why are you all looking at me like that :v:"?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i wonder if she had the chance to talk to these previous speakers

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Annointed posted:

Wow, just wow. How could anyone see this and think "Hey this is perfectly reasonable why are you all looking at me like that :v:"?

this is, uh, spiraling a bit

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/936068511008542721

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BITCH THESE ARE BIGOTED rear end ADULTS WHO AREN'T INTERESTED IN BEING TAUGHT

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Here is a picture of some salt.

This is now a forum all about salt.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Do I need to wheel out more of Blaire and Theryn's dogshit bigot opinions.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Here is a picture of some salt.

This is now a forum all about salt.

why are you doing this

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Do I need to wheel out more of Blaire and Theryn's dogshit bigot opinions.

tbh please do, I'm unable to dig that up without feeling like I want to break my computer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You know before this I DIDN'T think this was a 'trap' for her but now seeing the "I'm almost 30" and this

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/936072595119706112

I'm now actually 100% sure she's entering a situation she's absolutely unaware of set up by malicious intent

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Don't mind me, I'm just pleased that Contra isn't backing down from this because of the (frankly) utter bullshit and oftentimes abusive threats that she's been receiving over the past few days. Having been tracking all of it, I doubt this society of free speech people can do much worse than that.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kim Justice posted:

Don't mind me, I'm just pleased that Contra isn't backing down from this because of the (frankly) utter bullshit and oftentimes abusive threats that she's been receiving over the past few days. Having been tracking all of it, I doubt this society of free speech people can do much worse than that.

:jerkbag:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

i think she might be a little naive about the set-up, but i'll agree the blow-back she's gotten is way out of proportion.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

The five stages of grief are important for mending. Often times it's denial that's the most emotionally demanding.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Kim Justice posted:

There's a ton of people on twitter trying to score sick owns on her because she isn't listening.

I am in the "she shouldn't go" camp but I don't think the people trying to score sick owns on her are being good.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

Look, obviously she didn't deserve to be attacked so viciously, but she's making a huge mistake here and it sucks to watch someone you respect fall for such an obvious trap.

Krotera posted:

I am in the "she shouldn't go" camp but I don't think the people trying to score sick owns on her are being good.

:agreed: 100%

Even if she admits afterwards that it was a mistake, I wouldn't want to say "I told you so" but I'm sure plenty of Twitter people will.

Twitter is just the worst.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Krotera posted:

There's a ton of people on twitter trying to score sick owns on her because she isn't listening.

Reminder, the 'there's only two genders, also Richard Spencer is a nice guy and feminists are cancer' lady is someone she trusts to be a fair and good moderator, but ANYONE criticizing her is currently being described with

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/936074404064387072

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Yeah it owns that she's helping the "Make Canada Great Again" people drum up interest for their "Come look at the degenerates!" sideshow, I can't wait for the Q&A part with the local frogmen.

Anyone threatening her over this stuff is trash, but big note here, criticism from people who've lived this life a lot longer than she has is not threats.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah it owns that she's helping the "Make Canada Great Again" people drum up interest for their "Come look at the degenerates!" sideshow, I can't wait for the Q&A part with the local frogmen.

Anyone threatening her over this stuff is trash, but big note here, criticism from people who've lived this life a lot longer than she has is not threats.

no but there was just one holocaust denier a year ago, ergo

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/936074976255463424

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Reminder, the 'there's only two genders, also Richard Spencer is a nice guy and feminists are cancer' lady is someone she trusts to be a fair and good moderator, but ANYONE criticizing her is currently being described with

She's not describing anyone -- she's describing the people who are treating her the worst.

I've posted a few times about how I think she's being naive about the people moderating the event -- I've probably said more than I really can justify saying because I don't know much about the event people even though what I've heard is super disturbing. I still think she shouldn't go. I've been lovebombed by anti-islam dudes a few times before and hanging out them at all is something I regret.

I don't like that a lot of the people who appear to be fans of hers are turning around and saying viperish stuff like this:

Don't spin my read as "I think those people are unconditionally wrong": I really don't think she should go to the event. But it makes me kinda queasy that people are turning on a dime and denouncing her super hard when before they thought she was great because it makes me feel like they're only seeing her as useful, not as a person who's allowed to make mistakes. (albeit big ones)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I have no idea where you get things like "Richard Spencer is a nice guy" from about Theryn when she has literally the exact opposite opinion on that

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Why don't people link to their blogs? It's tiresome trying to read series of tweets and that all gets messed up with people's intermediate responses.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

I have no idea where you get things like "Richard Spencer is a nice guy" from about Theryn when she has literally the exact opposite opinion on that

she literally follows him on twitter and has defended him speaking at places as just part of the ~exchange of ideas~

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh, good, now this

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/936076642866335745

Chris is still Laci Greene's boyfriend right?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why don't people link to their blogs? It's tiresome trying to read series of tweets and that all gets messed up with people's intermediate responses.

hahahahaha good one

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

:eyepop:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

she literally follows him on twitter and has defended him speaking at places as just part of the ~exchange of ideas~

Contra also follows Spencer, as it happens - I guess this makes her a neo-Nazi sympathizer who thinks he's just swell too. Or maybe follows actually don't = endorsement? Theryn Meyer put Roaming Millennial on blast in a livestream only a couple of weeks ago for the kid gloves she used in her interview with him (also had quite heated exchanges with Nick Fuentes in same stream. Contra was there too, actually) and frequently talks about the danger of neo-Nazis and the right's failure to recognize them on Twitter. Somehow I think you're wrong here...

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

step one for doing things differently should be burning twitter's servers to ground, imo

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

step one for doing things differently should be burning twitter's servers to ground, imo

Second step is to keep white males from being in charge. As is apparent for social media owners have a tendency to protect nazis at all costs.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Annointed posted:

Second step is to keep white males from being in charge. As is apparent for social media owners have a tendency to protect nazis at all costs.

This. Also, Human moderation teams. This is what is going to replace manufacturing jobs in this country if I was running things.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I think I'm going to go against the grain of the thread somewhat, since reading all that I'm a lot more sympathetic to Contra's position. I still think she's making a mistake, but I'm a lot more inclined to be forgiving about it, particularly since she's going through a journey I can only start to understand. I respect her enough to give her that much, at least.

WampaLord posted:

Look, obviously she didn't deserve to be attacked so viciously,

Was anyone viciously attacking her here, or are you referring to the twittersphere? Because I really haven't seen any vicious attacks on Contra as a person, but then maybe I haven't looked in the right places.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Falstaff posted:

Was anyone here viciously attacking her here, or are you referring to the twittersphere? Because I really haven't seen any vicious attacks on Contra as a person, but then maybe I haven't looked in the right places.

I'm referring to the twittersphere, which is a white hot ball of outrage in constant search of a target.

Seriously, Twitter loving sucks. Just use it to find puppy pictures or fun gifs of NFL players doing celebrations or whatnot, don't use it as social media.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

Falstaff posted:

Was anyone here viciously attacking her here, or are you referring to the twittersphere? Because I really haven't seen any vicious attacks on Contra as a person, but then maybe I haven't looked in the right places.

I think the forums have been really good to her, but looking at the twitter responses she's gotten tells a sadder story. It's pretty depressing because I think that if the voices telling her not to go were less shrill, she would probably take them more seriously. There's a lot of people who are calling her a traitor and that's really stupid because she hasn't done anything bad yet. She hasn't even defended the moderators in unambiguous terms except to say that she personally thought they were OK to talk to -- she's explicitly hinted that she thinks the group still harbors awful views. (although they might not be actual holocaust deniers)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If only this was about speedrunning then she could've used pastebin

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lessail posted:

If only this was about speedrunning then she could've used pastebin

A bunch of people have been using Curious Cat or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A bunch of people have been using Curious Cat or whatever.

gently caress that site. Another overbloated Web 3.0 information-harvesting site that needs 200MB of javascript to display two paragraphs of text (plus total "legit" ads like SLUTS IN CANADA WANT TO MEET UP TO MAKE WEED LEGAL).

• Locked thread