Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd my interest in American Gods is gone

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/936009358177169408

Someday I'm going to see Bryan Fuller tell a complete story :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

There goes my interest in finally watching S1. Maybe if the Cheno that appeared in the finale has a major S2 role I'll get around to it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Fuller left STD as well and that didn’t suffer from it (it only improved as it went on, even), so the next season American Gods might turn out just fine as well.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fuller's involvement was the only thing I was on board for, along with Cheno and Anderson. I'm not big on Gaiman stuff so

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd my interest in American Gods is gone

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/936009358177169408

Someday I'm going to see Bryan Fuller tell a complete story :smith:

quote:

Creators and executive producers on the series, Fuller and Green are said to be departing after clashing with producer FremantleMedia over budget and creative direction. Fuller and Green were said to have been pushing for an increase to the series’ budget for season two. Sources close to the production said that the per-episode budget for “American Gods” season two already nearly $10 million.

:thunk: Fuller you are high on your own supply.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to the article they're leaving because they couldn't agree on a budget with the production company paying for it. That's not a good sign.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe those talks of Hannibal coming back in a few years can change to ASAP pls

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if this leads to Hannibal being a thing again then gently caress yes but otherwise man Fuller really needs to learn to stick with projects

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

According to the article they're leaving because they couldn't agree on a budget with the production company paying for it. That's not a good sign.

Going north of 10 million per episode is absurd; American Gods is good but not approaching the highest cost per episode of television on the planet (13 million) good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ghosted is getting more episodes, but Fox is loving with it.

quote:

The network has picked up six additional episodes of the show, which stars Craig Robinson and Adam Scott as two guys recruited to work for a secret agency that investigates the paranormal. That brings its total for the season to 16; it initially received a smaller-than-usual 10-episode commitment.

The six new episodes will be overseen by Paul Lieberstein, the former showrunner of “The Office” (and co-star of Robinson’s on that show). Per Deadline, FOX was looking to shift the focus of “Ghosted” away from the cases Scott’s and Robinson’s characters are assigned and beef up the workplace-comedy element of the show.

I don't know if I'm on board with this new direction.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Party Plane Jones posted:

Going north of 10 million per episode is absurd; American Gods is good but not approaching the highest cost per episode of television on the planet (13 million) good.

Yeah 10mil seems more than plenty, unless the effects are going nuts in season 2. Even then, that's a shitload of money.

e: actually just bring back Pushing Daisies thx, Lee Pace is free again

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

less laughter posted:

Fuller left STD as well and that didn’t suffer from it (it only improved as it went on, even), so the next season American Gods might turn out just fine as well.

You know they rewrote and refilmed a lot of his stuff, right? Most of his original material was removed from the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

Yeah 10mil seems more than plenty, unless the effects are going nuts in season 2. Even then, that's a shitload of money.

e: actually just bring back Pushing Daisies thx, Lee Pace is free again

The 3-4 episodes of American Gods I managed to get through before slipping into a coma were in no way $10mill quality. Holy poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reminder that Woody Allen's 6 episodes for Amazon cost $80 million

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why would Starz renew the show at all? Nobody watched it and it cost a gazillion bucks to make. Fuller has no idea what he’s doing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vegetable posted:

Why would Starz renew the show at all? Nobody watched it and it cost a gazillion bucks to make. Fuller has no idea what he’s doing.
Because it was a good show and I want it to lead to more Gaiman properties being adapted, give me my Sandman HBO show drat it!!! :argh:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mu Zeta posted:

Reminder that Woody Allen's 6 episodes for Amazon cost $80 million

Out of court settlements run rich

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

American Gods was the perfect spot of something I didn't really remember until it was brought up, would be kind of sad if it got cancelled, but would also probably forget about it an hour later.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I liked American Gods, I love Fuller, but at some point he's going to have to own up to the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to work within the constraints of the industry.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why doesn't Fuller do movies? It really seems like it'd be a fit for the kind of TV he makes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Why doesn't Fuller do movies?

You've never heard of his film-only alias, Guillermo del Toro?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vegetable posted:

Why doesn't Fuller do movies? It really seems like it'd be a fit for the kind of TV he makes.

Because he's a notorious perfectionist, is pathologically incapable of keeping to a schedule, is apparently a massive pain in the rear end to deal with behind the scenes, and with his predilection for wanting to have a zillion irons in the fire at once, he'd be impossible to keep on-task -- I also imagine that no film director would want to deal with his intense desire to be the primary creative voice. But with the way he bounces around, he'll do a season of Amazing Stories, get fired by Apple after the first season because of some insane demand, he'll then go back to NBCU with just enough funding scraped together to do a lovely fourth season of Hannibal that has like ten minutes of Mads Mikkelsen because that's all he could afford, then he'll do some other passion project with, I don't know, Amazon.

Open Source Idiom posted:

You know they rewrote and refilmed a lot of his stuff, right? Most of his original material was removed from the show.

Fuller was fired three months before the cameras started rolling on Discovery, there was nothing to re-film. There was also enough of his first two scripts that he retained the "Written by" credit on those two episodes, and if that went to WGA arbitration (as it almost certainly did), then some due diligence was done as to exactly how much of his material was kept.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 30, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Matt Lauer had a secret button on his desk that let him lock his office door. That's a good way to ensure privacy for sexual harassment and masturbating at work. Who even thought of creating a lock like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mu Zeta posted:

Matt Lauer had a secret button on his desk that let him lock his office door. That's a good way to ensure privacy for sexual harassment and masturbating at work. Who even thought of creating a lock like that.
When I heard that, I thought he'd created something like George Costanza's sleeping desk except taken to a sinister extreme.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The thing I'm wondering is who approved him getting it installed in the first place? Did he just hire someone himself? Did it go through the network? You'd think something like that even existing would have raised red flags in their legal department because there's no legitimate use for it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The thing I'm wondering is who approved him getting it installed in the first place? Did he just hire someone himself? Did it go through the network? You'd think something like that even existing would have raised red flags in their legal department because there's no legitimate use for it.
https://twitter.com/maggieserota/status/935994206086103045

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The legitimate use is for a lock-down situation, so that you don't have to waste time approaching a door to secure the room. You hit the button and get under your desk.

He totally used it for air tight sex prison bit though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mulva posted:

The legitimate use is for a lock-down situation, so that you don't have to waste time approaching a door to secure the room. You hit the button and get under your desk.

Matt Lauer was really that important that he needed permanent safeguards for lockdown situations? He's not the President or anything

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mulva posted:

Disney executives did this (along with Eisner having a button to immediately shut down all the parks) in the aftermath of 9/11, because Eisner was absolutely paranoid that Al Qaeda was going to hit Epcot or the Magic Kingdom with a plane.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Matt Lauer was really that important that he needed permanent safeguards for lockdown situations? He's not the President or anything

they helicoptered him in from the hamptons every day whenever he felt like going there. the sex dungeon button probably equalled the fuel cost of 1 flight.

i mean if multiple networks are bidding for you, ask for some crazy poo poo, see what they agree to.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

A bunch of news organizations were targeted in the Anthrax attacks, remember. It's not really too far out of the realm of possibility

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mulva posted:

It's all about the implication

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Lauer was the network's golden boy who was commanding $25 mil a year; "Oh, and tell somebody on the maintenance team I want a button on my desk that locks the door" probably didn't even phase the unfortunate NBC Page who had to take his coffee order that morning.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Whilst it's obvious that all this harassment/rape/pedo stuff is awful, is it wrong that for the most part, I feel like I will still enjoy stuff done by these lovely people? I'll gladly go back and watch a Louie standup special and Kevin Spacey is in some of my favourite movies of all time.

Considering this whole time I've seen countless "Duh, that was pretty well known that he was doing this stuff before it all came out" comments and people still enjoyed the work that these people created/starred in, I feel like I'm not alone,

I'm a fan of all of the following: MMA, NFL, Pro Wrestling, Ice Hockey, Rock n Roll, Heavy Metal. These industries are absolutely littered with lovely people doing lovely things to women and are sometimes even celebrated for it. Is this TV/Hollywood stuff all that different?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still love Roman Polanski's movies, so I'm with you on that. I have no trouble separating art from artist, but I can understand why others might not be able to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Lauer was the network's golden boy who was commanding $25 mil a year; "Oh, and tell somebody on the maintenance team I want a button on my desk that locks the door" probably didn't even phase the unfortunate NBC Page who had to take his coffee order that morning.

Matt Lauer getting $25m/year is an absolute failure of modern business practices. He ABSOLUTELY does not add that much value to the Today Show.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
American Gods looked expensive as gently caress and it's ludicrous that Fuller somehow thought he could get an even higher budget considering the show isn't a GoT-level success. It sucks that Fuller is leaving the show but Season 1 was kinda spotty and the show should never have been adapted to live action in the first place. Making American Gods an animated series probably would have been the better, cheaper option but no one in America makes animated dramas for adults.

Also tonight's Mr Robot was really incredible, timely, and weirdly uplifting and people should go watch it

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

I think you're way overestimating the complexity of a system like this. I work with a number of elementary schools and a bunch of them have electromagnetic locks and door releases that can be operated remotely. It's a few pieces of equipment that wouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars per room, and they have a number of safety benefits beyond lockdown situations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

"I like keeping my office door closed to avoid being bothered by passers-by/plebes who want to chit-chat, but need a way to inform staff that want to talk business to me that I am or am not available and these doors already lock. Also, you are paying me $25M/year, and I am lazy and do not want to have to get up to unlock the door, so give me a button."

Honestly when the news reported the button my first thought was "you creepy gently caress" and my quickly following second thought was "I want a door-locking button for my creepy windowless office". I literally taped a stop sign onto a yardstick for my ex-boss to wave around because her office was setup in a way that you had to fully enter her office and go around a wall to find out if she was on the phone, but we assumed if the door was locked that she was either not there or in full DND mode (we all have keys to all the doors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's no Longmire thread, right? S6e8: fuckin lol how did they hold off introducing Richie until almost the end of the season?! Meg clearly has a type, and the scene of Ferg first meeting him is gold.

I swear to god if Nighthorse turns out to actually be a villain, I will disown the show.

• Locked thread