Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"My eyes are down here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Nooooooo not the puffy coat! Abaddon has gone too far.

Yes, we all miss the puffy coat, but consider! puffy hair

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
A net gain in puff, you say?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

lol if you think that's a majority

I expect those guys were more clerks than garrison, though. Maybe.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Between the screaming head alarm and the majority of the garrison showing up to chainsaw our party at the command of the high priestess, I'm pretty sure they already know.

They knew there were invaders. Now they know they're major poo poo, even for people who can get in this far.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 29, 2017

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

MikeJF posted:

Guess she still had strength in her flame left over from being an ultra-powerful ebon that meant she could... burn away some names and become greater? metaphorically?

I wonder if Cio is technically capable of doing this right now and chooses not to.

Maybe people have just forgotten most of her long-rear end convoluted name, and it didn't click until dramatically appropriate. I mean, the one that named her was drunk as hell.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Bonus points to her for figuring out how to turn that name into something badass, though.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Kind of wish she'd kept the Esquire, tbh.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Credit where credit is due, the former no. 31 was bold as brass staring down certain death.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Guess she still had strength in her flame left over from being an ultra-powerful ebon that meant she could... burn away some names and become greater? metaphorically?

I wonder if Cio is technically capable of doing this right now and chooses not to.
I don't think she can. Remember what Cio said earlier: devils are desire and hunger. Even though Vladok/Princess has walked this path before, and even though she and everyone else has always thought of her as an inconvenienced ebon rather than a pitiful blue, she wasn't able to shed all the bullshit Allison saddled her with until she felt the fear-spurred hunger to reclaim her old glory and power.

Cio is terrified of her own power and has been in denial of it, running from it. She might have enough mojo to boost herself to red or even higher, but she isn't psychologically prepared to express and embrace her hunger.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

lol if you think that's a majority
I think there are supposed to be endless priests choking the halls, but Abbadon didn't want to draw literally all of them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Nooooooo not the puffy coat! Abaddon has gone too far.

tho i must admit as well the hair is an acceptable trade

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The coat is gone but for some reason she developed new and interesting piercings..

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm pretty sure they do not, but Abbadon wasn't willing to commit to answering certain readers' burning questions by drawing Full Frontal Devil, so Princess gets the Bruce Banner power of keeping the impossibly tattered remains of her old duds after transforming.

Reach heaven by stretchy pants.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Its just more eyes under the pants anyhow

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think there are supposed to be endless priests choking the halls, but Abbadon didn't want to draw literally all of them.

Based on his Twitter, the spirit is willing but the hands are twisted arthritic claws.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Princess even has eyes on her abs.
Eybs.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Is Princess even the same demon as ol' Vladok?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Motherfucker posted:

Depends on how you feel about the idea of the Ship of Theseus, and then how you'd feel if the Ship of Theseus was then styled like some kind of a heavy metal barge.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
how have we had this much discussion about people who are numbers and not linked this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfYnvDL0Qcw

Motherfucker posted:

according to abaddon, the answer to whether or not a devil is the same being in an existential sense after ascending/descending the ranks is "probably not, but nobody really cares, including the devils themselves"

e: but he also stated that flat-out removing their mask and reverting to an unbound devil is ego death, so princess is definitely not the "same" devil as vladok in an existential sense (and same for yabalchaoth/cio)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 30, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
1 Catch A Good Guy, Like A Real Superhero

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

PMush Perfect posted:

1 Catch A Good Guy, Like A Real Superhero

robbie rotten would definitely be a devil

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I think he's (she? they?) like a reverse Cio in that its some rando's mask on the same 'flame' as Vladok. Whereas Cio is new flame and roughly the same mask...

This is giving me conniptions.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Motherfucker posted:

The coat is gone but for some reason she developed new and interesting piercings..
that was what i meant by fashion accessories

i assumed gold devils with tonnes of swag chose to dress that way but maybe they all just popped into being loaded down with jewellery and never got a choice in the matter

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Motherfucker posted:

I think he's (she? they?) like a reverse Cio in that its some rando's mask on the same 'flame' as Vladok. Whereas Cio is new flame and roughly the same mask...

Cio has the same mask so there seems to be some continuity since the mask is the seat of consciousness for the devils since the flame their created from doesn't matter...except that since Allison put a new mask on the flame of Vladok as he was dissolving back into the Hot Black Flame he seems to have had some of his memories passed on to Princess. So my understanding is that the mask is the more important part, but that when it's removed there isn't an immediate ego death in the flame that made up the devil. It might also be that being a black devil has some special significance regarding the relationship between mask and flame. We've only seen two cases of blacks turning into blues.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Devils have to replace their masks as they wear out sometimes, so there exists a mechanism for proper transfer of identity.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

MikeJF posted:

Devils have to replace their masks as they wear out sometimes, so there exists a mechanism for proper transfer of identity.

More evidence for the fire retaining personality then.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

White Coke posted:

Cio has the same mask so there seems to be some continuity since the mask is the seat of consciousness for the devils since the flame their created from doesn't matter...except that since Allison put a new mask on the flame of Vladok as he was dissolving back into the Hot Black Flame he seems to have had some of his memories passed on to Princess. So my understanding is that the mask is the more important part, but that when it's removed there isn't an immediate ego death in the flame that made up the devil. It might also be that being a black devil has some special significance regarding the relationship between mask and flame. We've only seen two cases of blacks turning into blues.
What'll really blow your hair back is, would Princess be a continuation of Vladok if Allison hadn't intended to preserve the devil she made a deal with when masking her? Would Oskar or other devils recognize Princess as Grandad if they hadn't been there for the masking? Would Princess know who she had been if the others hadn't told her?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

the sanctioned action is to just roll with poo poo as it develops and not ask too many questions. when did Aesma get blinded? when she started demanding specifics. the lesson here is to accept things as they come.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Only if devils actually have an identity and not just a facsimile of one papering over the chaos of the Hot Black Flame, a genuine possibility.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

White Coke posted:

More evidence for the fire retaining personality then.

I'd speculate the flame is like the ocean and the mask is like a cup by which you scoop the water out: the water retains the essential characteristics of the ocean itself, rather than unique identity - it's not special water - but it does take on the shape of whatever cup you scoop it up in. If you pour the water from one cup to another, without it returning to the ocean, then it's the "same" water in a different cup; it's the "same" devil in a different mask. If however the flame returns to the source and gets scooped out into a different mask, it's like that water - the water is "different." But it's all the same in its essential characteristics.

So any flame in the same mask is going to be essentially the same in terms of its appearance, qualities, and so on, but the stream of experience which we call "self" would be interrupted by the vessel being emptied and refilled, whereas if you pour the flame quickly from one mask to another that experience remains continuous (and thus the identity is the "same") while the shape becomes different.

While the water is in the cup, you can say "this water is distinct from that water" but once you throw the water back into the ocean, you can never separate out that exact water again - it's inseparable. Similarly a devil in a mask can see itself as distinct from other devils, but take off the masks and there'd be no way to separate them out again.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
So what we're seeing here is the blue mask transforming into a red mask and the flame fills that vessel, but because it happened in an uninterrupted continuum, Princess experiences it as changing, like we experience transitions in our own lives. If instead the mask was removed and filled up with another flame the experience would be more like being born into that being. A blue is gone and a red is here now, from her perspective it was a blue becoming a red, but that's only because the experience remained continuous. If instead one mask had been emptied back to the void and another filled, it would be like we experience death and birth, as distinct and unrelated persons, because of the interruption in what we perceive as our consciousness.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you fill up a glass of water, show it to someone, empty it out and then fill it back up again and show it to without them knowing that you emptied it, how are they to know it's not the same glass of water?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

wiegieman posted:

If you fill up a glass of water, show it to someone, empty it out and then fill it back up again and show it to without them knowing that you emptied it, how are they to know it's not the same glass of water?

the water might know.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

violent sex idiot posted:

the water might know.

Oh my god we're homeopaths. I take it all back.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

demons are homeopathic

e: beaten by loving seconds

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You may show a man a glass and ask him ask him 'Is this half empty, or half full?'

A true philosopher will say 'Get thee behind me, for it is all Devil and I do not treat with them.'

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

gosh this is such a good webcomic

e: I'm very happy for Princess and hope they live a long and prosperous life

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
If you want to experience the transition Yabachoalth-->Cio try the following;

Obtain some Russian research chemicals, indulge and awaken a week in the future with only fragments of an identity, an infamous reputation and married to a pimp called Andy who as it turns out isn't the androsphinx of your dreams.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Yak of Wrath posted:

Obtain some Russian research chemicals, indulge and awaken a week in the future with only fragments of an identity, an infamous reputation and married to a pimp called Andy who as it turns out isn't the androsphinx of your dreams.

sound like a good time

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Yak of Wrath posted:

I don't know what my Wednesday nights are supposed to have to do with this goofy demon wuxia comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Gotta wonder why cio hasn't busted out the paper soldiers yet, I mean stabbing folks with a knife seems less strong than the time she bisected a whole croud of people.

Wizards are always OP in these things, everybody knows that.