Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
attn: haier re: post 90s beauties

https://my.mixtape.moe/jyouoy.mp4

"seeking the most CAPABLE husband

wealth is not important, only your potential"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

big time bisexual posted:

...what about if I have neither...

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Make it like Wise Blood.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

lol is this the guy i blocked on twitter??

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.ep.tc/howtospotajap/howto03.html
I like the romanized Mandarin phrases while learning how to spot a Jap out of the Asian ethnicities. It reads easier than than that Wade-Giles horseshit.

They are still good at gadgets!!

LOL. ALMOST NO WAIST-LINE

angel opportunity posted:

i really want to write a scifi or fantasy book where i take the most inscrutable aspects of chinese people and fuse them into some imaginary race of people. what do you think would be the coolest features to add in there? the idea of a guy thinking a tiger would value money is a good one. i think the trick would be to make it not read like an outright caricature; you'd need to somehow really hit the chinese geist and humanize it as much as possible
No matter what, they always have halitosis.

attn: haier re: post 90s beauties

https://my.mixtape.moe/jyouoy.mp4

I would give her the same excuse I give all others:
"Dear, I don't have much. I still have to pay off my school debts. My parents are getting older. I don't have time to think about a wife and kids. It's too difficult. Let's just be friends. Our friendship can be close and relaxed. Don't think too much. We can just be happy while we know each other."

It works every time.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 29, 2017

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

oohhboy posted:

Loss of face complete, China's under 20 football team has left Germany. Tibetan flags are the most powerful anti-China weapons, wave them around and they will throw themselves out of the country for you.

Note: does not apply to actual Tibet.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Does Tibet have any national regional football/soccer teams? Do they play Chinese other Chinese teams?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Does Tibet have any national regional football/soccer teams? Do they play Chinese other Chinese teams?

I imagine it won't matter as long as the fans don't wave around any illegal flags or mention unthinkable thoughts.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I like how she's not even looking at the road while running across it.

https://i.imgur.com/DUQxqDH.gifv

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

well thank god that didn't go the way I thought it was going to

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It might be Korea, but the bowl cuts and high-waters are making me think China.

https://i.imgur.com/or0SEe6.gifv

EDIT: LOL @ that kind of goofball punching. Like, what the H-E-double hockey sticks?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Bajaj posted:

http://www.ep.tc/howtospotajap/howto03.html
I like the romanized Mandarin phrases while learning how to spot a Jap out of the Asian ethnicities. It reads easier than than that Wade-Giles horseshit.

They are still good at gadgets!!

LOL. ALMOST NO WAIST-LINE

No matter what, they always have halitosis.

I would give her the same excuse I give all others:
"Dear, I don't have much. I still have to pay off my school debts. My parents are getting older. I don't have time to think about a wife and kids. It's too difficult. Let's just be friends. Our friendship can be close and relaxed. Don't think too much. We can just be happy while we know each other."

It works every time.
The Japgin Shuffle
The Chinad Stride

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ever since it opened a couple of years ago, more and more Chinese people have been flocking to the discount chemist near where I live (in Australia), to the extent that the local cinema has even started showing Chinese movies.

It's also the first chemist/pharmacy I've ever seen to have a security guard.

https://ajp.com.au/news/chemist-warehouse-among-singles-day-loved/

quote:

The top five most purchased products were New Zealand’s Aptamil milk powder; vitamin brand Bio Island; Swisse vitamins and two Japanese nappy brands, Kao Merries and Moony.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They sell Merries in China. Are they super-cheap there or something?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I can't imagine so. Australia is not known for its low cost of living.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah those are weird. Nobody uses them but it's not like you can't buy diapers here. It's a bag for your disgusting infant to poo poo into so I'm not sure how great it needs to be beyond not leaking.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah those are weird. Nobody uses them but it's not like you can't buy diapers here. It's a bag for your disgusting infant to poo poo into so I'm not sure how great it needs to be beyond not leaking.

Have a kid and find out. "Not leaking" is only part of the problem, but it's a big loving problem. Low quality ones will also cause rashes. And not every shape will fit every kid equally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm nowhere near stupid enough to make that mistake. Anyway all the diapers I see for sale here are Japanese.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Is that the equivalent of "Made in Japan (for foreign market)"?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
That prisoner identification thing - lemon yellow skin - where did asians being called yellow start ? I just do not get it. Maybe like kinda tan? Even if my yellow is different from your yellow, I have never met an asian I would ever call "lemon-yellow".

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ladron posted:

That prisoner identification thing - lemon yellow skin - where did asians being called yellow start ? I just do not get it. Maybe like kinda tan? Even if my yellow is different from your yellow, I have never met an asian I would ever call "lemon-yellow".

the skin tone of a pale asian is noticably but only slightly more olive than a pale white person. looks kinda yellow if you're trying, and if you're looking for a racist insult, you're probably trying

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is that the equivalent of "Made in Japan (for foreign market)"?

I prefer to poo poo my pants au naturale so I don't know much about diapers.

Chinese people refer to themselves and other Asians as yellow people but I don't know if they came up with it or adopted it from westerners. I've had to frequently have this conversation with students about how they will sound weird and racist if they keep doing it when they get to the US.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Apparently counterfeit nappies are a thing:
https://qz.com/160028/japanese-diaper-makers-are-fighting-a-new-competitor-chinese-diaper-pirates/

I shudder to think what materials the counterfeits are made of, imagine this poo poo on your child's body:
https://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/flipflop.asp

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is there anything that unscrupulous Chinese businesses won't pirate?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Quality?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Finished Paul Midler's new book What's Wrong with China. It's a quick read at only 228 pages. Nothing exactly groundbreaking here as it rehashes a lot of previously written work, but it was still enjoyable, even if it was a bit meandering. Some highlights:

"Speaking somewhat less diplomatically, Reverend Arthur Smith noted simply that the Chinese have 'a talent for exasperating you'"

Reminder never to curse if you can help it

Starbucks coopted the particulate matter designation for an ad campaign

and it's still up on weibo lol

"so long as there is money to be made, all abuses are easily forgiven"

Don't use the periodic table, it's a foreign invention and not to be trusted

Bank of China really goes the extra mile for its business customers

Bad deal? Turn those lemons into lemonade

An interesting term to learn given recent news about Amazon selling off its cloud assets in China

All in all, I'd give What's Wrong with China ★★★★☆. At $4.99 on Google Play (there's a $5 discount going on now if you've never purchased a book off there) it's not a bad way to spend a few hours if you like reading the stories in this thread.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
The gov has dismissed all but one allegation against that large daycare center and covering up evidence, and of course shutting down any online discussion of it
China: Nursery abuse probe provokes widespread distrust http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-china-blog-42180306

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Grand Fromage posted:

Chinese people refer to themselves and other Asians as yellow people but I don't know if they came up with it or adopted it from westerners. I've had to frequently have this conversation with students about how they will sound weird and racist if they keep doing it when they get to the US.

I have been told that the Chinese called themselves yellow because the Yellow River basin was the birthplace of Chinese civilization. The soil is yellow-ish in color, so they called themselves "yellow" people. Dunno how it spread to other East Asians, though.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-42181263

quote:

A Chinese man has been fined after he was captured on surveillance footage painting new road signs in a bid to make his daily commute easier.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I appreciate the effort.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't blame him. I've been tempted to steal a "no parking" sign and put it on the street outside my work because it's a narrow street where people park like idiots on both sides so delivery trucks can't get through, then the truck drivers start honking for people to move their cars and it drives me up the walls.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

quote:

According to the Beijing Youth Daily, security at southern Guangdong's Baiyun International Airport noticed movement in an elderly couple's luggage when they placed their bags through an x-ray machine on 25 November.

"There was a white plastic bag with lots of black items moving inside," security guard Xu Yuyu told Kankan News.

"One of the staff opened their luggage and a roach crawled out of it. She almost cried," Ms Xu added.

When asked why they were transporting the cockroaches, the husband told officials that they were an ointment for his wife's skin.

He did not specify what her condition was, but Ms Yu says officials were told: "They were part of an old folk remedy. You mix the roaches in some medicinal cream and put it on your skin."

Beijing Youth Daily says that because living organisms are not permitted in on-flight hand luggage, the couple chose to leave them with security staff. The fate of the cockroaches is unknown.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Big roaches, big life?

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=291593771349268&id=235963843578928
There's also photos, but I am lazy now.

quote:

UPDATE TO PRESS RELEASE FROM 11/28/17

ILLEGAL MARIJUANA GROW OPERATIONS BY CHINESE NATIONALS

On November 28, 2017 at approximately 8:30 am, the Grays Harbor County Drug Task Force (GHCDTF) oversaw an operation that resulted in numerous search warrants being conducted throughout Grays Harbor County, as well as related locations in Thurston and King Counties. The search warrants were conducted as a result of suspected illegal marijuana grow operations by Chinese Nationals that were occurring in the respective counties.

A total of 50 search warrants were executed among the three counties. There were 44 arrests made, 26 vehicles confiscated, along with multiple guns and other items of value. There was over $400,000 worth of cash and gold seized. A total of 32,449 marijuana plants were confiscated. It was estimated that the value of these particular plants was in excess of $80,000,000.

Of the 50 search warrants, 38 were in Grays Harbor County, 8 in King County, and 4 in Thurston County. The general locations where the search warrants were conducted are listed below. In some cases, there were multiple search warrants on the listed streets. This is not an all-inclusive list as some search warrants were completed late last night and there locations may not have been reported in yet.

There is a tremendous amount of work left to do for this massive investigation. We again want to thank all of our federal, state, and local partners who assisted with this significant operation.
C1: "I have an idea."
C2: "What?"
C1: "You know how dama is legal in Washington?"
C2: "Where???"
C1: "Seattle state."
C2: "Oh, yeah?"
C1: "Lets grow dama and sell it and make tons of money. People are getting super rich."
C2: "But that's a lot of paperwork."
C1: "You're right. Let's just do it anyway and keep the profit."
C2: "Good idea!! It is legal, nobody will care."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Can't even imagine getting mad at this guy. Thank you for your service, citizen, even if it was motivated entirely from selfishness.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ladron posted:

As far as I remember, it started like a lot of dumb poo poo Occidentals think about Asia; Marco Polo.

Apparently he arrives in the east in the middle of a malaria epidemic, which actually does make you look jaundiced, i.e. yellow. Being a clueless dude that was possibly making it all up from stories he heard, he then posits that post S-Asia, people start looking yellow as a regular thing.

Then it just percolates around the continent, helped along by the fact that most of the people thinking this would never see anyone Asian in their lives and once they finally did, they prejudice would literally colour their perception as see them as more 'yellow' than they actually are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ladron posted:

They need different makeup bases than white people to better suit their complexion so its not a complete fabrication but yellow isnt the right word. White people should be called pink people based on this.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

CCP doesn't want anyone to know that even the gleaming new high-speed railways are, you guessed it, chabuduo https://chinadigitaltimes.net/2017/11/minitrue-shoddy-high-speed-rail-construction/

quote:

The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. The name of the issuing body has been omitted to protect the source.

Concerning news on poor construction along the Guizhou section of the Shanghai-Kunming high-speed rail, don’t send push notifications. Remove already published articles from prominent view. (November 14, 2017) [Chinese]

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Finished Paul Midler's new book What's Wrong with China. It's a quick read at only 228 pages. Nothing exactly groundbreaking here as it rehashes a lot of previously written work, but it was still enjoyable, even if it was a bit meandering. Some highlights:

"Speaking somewhat less diplomatically, Reverend Arthur Smith noted simply that the Chinese have 'a talent for exasperating you'"

Reminder never to curse if you can help it

Starbucks coopted the particulate matter designation for an ad campaign

and it's still up on weibo lol

"so long as there is money to be made, all abuses are easily forgiven"

Don't use the periodic table, it's a foreign invention and not to be trusted

Bank of China really goes the extra mile for its business customers

Bad deal? Turn those lemons into lemonade

An interesting term to learn given recent news about Amazon selling off its cloud assets in China

All in all, I'd give What's Wrong with China ★★★★☆. At $4.99 on Google Play (there's a $5 discount going on now if you've never purchased a book off there) it's not a bad way to spend a few hours if you like reading the stories in this thread.

appreciate you taking the time to do this. As an avid reader I might pick it up at some point, but I live this thread right now, I don't need to read it also. Work negotiations are going terrible and I thought I only had three months left in china but this December may actually be my last one. 👀👀👀 so kinda sick with the whole "things wrong with china" spiel, I know what's wrong with china already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Barudak posted:

They need different makeup bases than white people to better suit their complexion so its not a complete fabrication but yellow isnt the right word. White people should be called pink people based on this.

I am not saying they are not a different hue, and I absolutely agree that white people are really pink, I'm just saying I for real don't get "yellow" as an adjective.

• Locked thread