Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street just plain knows how to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Command Ant posted:

:drat:

I wonder what kind of reaction this got when it was first published.

Probably a sensible chuckle while flipping the page over to the latest Dorothy Parker essay.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tunicate posted:

At first I thought the version of Everett True in Weapon Brown where he was an insane war hawk was totally out of character.

Now I know better :smith:
Everett True was in Weapon Brown? Is it possible you're scrambling him with the OTHER bald belligerent monster, Daddy Warbucks?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julet Esqu posted:

HA HA THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR TRYING TO DO SOMETHING YOU LAZY rear end in a top hat

I was going to say 'called it', but I think everyone saw this coming.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy, in which it would appear we've taken a detour from the Jacketeers. (October 2, 1930)

Peanuts (December 2, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 5-6, 1931)

Thimble Theater (June 20, 1931)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I'm beginning to suspect Mr. Kabibble might not have been entirely happy in his marriage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

2004 Spiderman

So that's clearly Wolverine, right?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

So that's clearly Wolverine, right?
Shockingly, no. He just has Wolverine claws for some reason and has a similar haircut.

I'm not joking. His design even came first, apparently.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

?????????????????????????

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
They don't want to have to help put dishes away.
:redandrover:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He's avoiding the chore.
e.fb

---
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Well, didn't expect that.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 30, 2017

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

Savidudeosoo posted:

Jesus loving christ...

I still can’t figure out the joke! Is it because she banged a bunch of foreigners or something? One of the kids is oriental...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
It's hard to pick just one thing to focus your hate on with this comic, but today I'm going with the movement lines showing her head whipping around all of about 10 degrees, which just draws your attention to the fact that they're supposedly talking to each other but both facing the viewer because Reddick is loving terrible at his job.

DiscoDickTease posted:

I still can’t figure out the joke! Is it because she banged a bunch of foreigners or something? One of the kids is oriental...
That is the joke, yes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm happy to see it posted here because it's such important comics history, and it owns the poo poo out of a lot of the trash comics the weirdos religiously "contribute," but...

...I don't really get Krazy Kat.

You and me both. I still remember getting excited at finding a collection at the library, because Watterson talks it up so much in the Calvines and Hobbes anthologies, but every time I try to read it...I just don't understand it at all.

Drakyn posted:

Everett True was in Weapon Brown? Is it possible you're scrambling him with the OTHER bald belligerent monster, Daddy Warbucks?

Would anyone be interested in reposting Weapon Brown? When I first came to this thread it was just finishing, so I never really understood why anyone was excited so much by it- the hiatus between page updates didn't help. But now that it's done, it could easily make for a more accessible regular contribution, especially with the new year's thread coming up. Wasn't it drawn by a goon?

Then complain to the building manager Ed ugh how are you so bad at being a fat cheapskate when those are like two of your three personality traits.

Tracksuit

There are no dates attached to these so only internal context makes it possible to tell when they were drawn relative to one another. 2010 seems a pretty big jump from the last marker we saw though, that game in 2007.

Although wow, what a weirdly specific reference for a joke that could be applied to nearly anyone in the media. Brought to you by the commission to raise awareness of Pele's failures, I guess.

Mother From Another Country

In reference to the color of the pig, not the color of the meat.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 27, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 27, 1996)

Garfield Classic (April 27, 1986)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm happy to see it posted here because it's such important comics history, and it owns the poo poo out of a lot of the trash comics the weirdos religiously "contribute," but...

...I don't really get Krazy Kat.

These single strips are less comphrensible than the sunday strips, once you pin-down it's love-triangle where one of the points hates the other two. This particular one... I guess Ignatz was giving Krazy Kat a piggyback ride? That's the only punchline I can construct from the final-panel revelations that Ignatz is with Krazy, and Krazy walking is shorter than the fence.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
btw: Breaking Cat News is doing A Thing that'll last until at least Christmas, so if you're not digging it, just scroll to the next gilchrist or whatever gets your hate boner on.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

You and me both. I still remember getting excited at finding a collection at the library, because Watterson talks it up so much in the Calvines and Hobbes anthologies, but every time I try to read it...I just don't understand it at all.

Ignatz hates Krazy and demonstrates it by throwing bricks at his/her head. (Krazy's gender flips back and forth over the course of the strip.) Krazy, being, well, krazy, loves Ignatz and takes the brick-throwing as a sign of affection. Meanwhile, Offissa Pupp loves Krazy and tries to protect him/her by warning Ignatz off or putting him in jail. That's it, really -- everything else in the strip is variations on that basic story.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

DiscoDickTease posted:

She was an effective spy because she was sleeping around with the enemy of the countries she was spying on.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
And in case you need it PBF'ed for you further.... Sleeping with the enemy is a great way to gather intel. Marks will spill all sorts of secret in pillow talk. There are numerous real world examples of women using sex to obtain information.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

DiscoDickTease posted:

A songbird, it is a woman or man who blackmails, or charms the target into giving up secrets. It is as old as the first war.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

DiscoDickTease posted:

Yes the implication is that she was a good spy because she could seduce a bunch of foreign targets.

Also just fyi please do not use “Oriental” to refer to people. “Oriental” is for rugs. “Asian” is for people. Oriental to refer to people is kinda old-timey-racism offensive in the same way that that cartoon’s drawing of the Asian kid is old-timey-racism offensive.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And her lid popped when he brushed his hand on top of her furthermore why wasn't Sgt. Grumbles helping them and what's that single screw on a bed of nails mean

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

gently caress you, Luann, Star Trek rules.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

The Amazing MJ

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Luann at a lingerie party. Sounds like a wild time! I'm picturing her picking up all sorts of frilly and vaguely underwear-looking things and looking at them in disbelief that someone would wear such things! It's going to be a laugh riot!

F Minus

Mother of God no!

Mark Trail

And let me guess, you haven't been back since you were a little kid, right? Guess why the circus is failing? By the way, circuses are boring.

Mary Worth

They have the whole place to themselves, so you know what that means: time for a rousing game of gin rummy!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Keyser Rene strikes again.

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

They have the whole place to themselves, so you know what that means: time for a rousing game of gin rummy!
So Wilbur's going to come back to this and be heartbroken again, even though he's the one who cut things off with Iris, right?

...honestly, I'd be down for a Mary Worth arc that's just Wilbur constantly getting heartbroken through things that are him misunderstanding the situation or from situations where he broke things off in the first place. Take that, you sandwich-eating gently caress.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I know you shouldn't question newspaper Spider-Man, but shouldn't somebody have noticed him as he apparently walked into the Daily Bugle in full costume?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I know you shouldn't question newspaper Spider-Man, but shouldn't somebody have noticed him as he apparently walked into the Daily Bugle in full costume?

Nah, he stuck his legs out of the bottom of that trash can just in frame and ducked in the trash itself and walked back in.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Nah, he stuck his legs out of the bottom of that trash can just in frame and ducked in the trash itself and walked back in.

Ah, the Pepsiman approach.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Haifisch posted:

So Wilbur's going to come back to this and be heartbroken again, even though he's the one who cut things off with Iris, right?

...honestly, I'd be down for a Mary Worth arc that's just Wilbur constantly getting heartbroken through things that are him misunderstanding the situation or from situations where he broke things off in the first place. Take that, you sandwich-eating gently caress.

And remember, Mr. Clueless is the guy whose main gig is as an expert who writes a newspaper advice column.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

Makes as much sense as anything else in newspaper Spider-Man I guess.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Nekonaughey

Takenoko means bamboo shoot.

USC Digital Folklore Archives posted:

There was an old man and wife who wanted a child, because they didn’t have one and couldn’t get one someone. The old man chopped bamboo for a living, and one day he was chopping bamboo and there was a weird light coming from the bamboo stalk. So he chops it down and he finds a baby in the bamboo stalk. He fed her and raised her. Then another day came and he just went about cutting down bamboo trees and this time he found gold inside. There’s gold and jewels and stuff like that. So he and the old women build a nice home and are really happy with their daughter.

But then she grows into a full women in like three months, and everyone is stunned by her beauty. Um… So she has all these people trying to win her hand, but she gives them impossible tasks because she doesn’t want to get married. She’s so beautiful even the Emperor hears word of her beauty and wants to see for himself, so he visits the bamboo cutter’s home. He wants to make her his wife but she is unhappy about it, so he consents to just like writing her songs and letters.

What happened next… Then she gets really sad and stared at the moon and told her foster parents that she was a moonchild and her people were coming for her. This made the foster parents really sad so he tol d the Emperor to assemble an army to fight the moonpeople so they couldn’t take her, but she told him that it was her… like her destiny to go back to the moon. The cloud descends from the moon with her moonpeople and they tell the bamboo cutter how she was put on earth to be punished for a wrongdoing. They give her the Elixir of Life, and she only drinks half and sends the rest to the Emperor in a letter and leaves on the cloud.

The emperor is too scared to drink the Elixir because he doesn’t know what it is so he sends his royals to burn it on the tallest summit in the land. But because it is the elixir of life it never stops burning. And that’s why people see smoke coming up from Mount Fuji to this day.

Wikipedia posted:

Kitsune udon: "Fox udon". Topped with aburaage (sweetened deep-fried tofu pockets). This originated in Osaka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

As an old D&D player I am offended by Willie's inability to tell the difference between a ballista (which was basically a giant crossbow) and a catapult.

• Locked thread