Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well I tried to get the lighting as good as I possibly could but it's still a little bit spotty. But finally, three years after paying for it, and two years after starting the build, the Mechanicore Deep Striker is finished. Ish. Still have to decal up the thrusters/fuel tanks and build the rifle/hand but I can finally say I did it.

One grail down.

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

Truly, you are doing the Lord's work. Following your build has been goddamn inspiring.

So what's next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

:haw:

That sounds way more impressive to me, tbh. Outside of like halfhearted attempts at plaplate modelling and some custom panel line etching, customization like that is way out of the league of anything I could ever do.

That's what third resin molders on Taobao are for :neckbeard:

Shucks, while I appreciate the flattery, it's actually not that hard! It's actually forgiving in its own way because there's a lot of ways you can 'cheat' to improve molds, patch bad casts, and reduce bubbles; Basically you can reduce the skill barrier with excess patience :v:. There's a lot of good YT vids to get people on the right track, but if anyone ITT is interested I'd be cool with doing a writeup on resin casting with my experience.

Speaking of all that, I cracked open the ten-part cast today and decided to take a pic to show it off:

I've been on a "get through my backlog of unfinished projects, no new ones or derails" kick to get to an extremely generous goon gift, so my paint booth looks like Resinobyl and the Silicone-Mile Island went off at the same time. As you can see though, I had to carefully cut in a -lot- of channels to get a complete cast. There's a reason even Bandai's beautiful metal molds dont try to fit 10 pieces into a square sheet the size of your palm, folks!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Last bit of image spam, honest, but I finished the rifle and decaled up the thrusters/fuel tanks. Finally I can have it take its place on my shelf as the biggest kit I will ever do.

And some detail close-ups:

Radome

Forever hidden decals between the legs.

Upskirt showing bits you'd otherwise never see. Note the giant blue-grey clamps, those are die cast and screwed on in three places to keep the kit upright and attached to the stand. Not shown is the die cast peg connecting the stand to the kit between the legs.

And finally the whole display as it exists now:

DigitalRaven posted:

So what's next?

Send help.

It's not flattery, that sort of thing is way beyond anything I could do. Carving pieces and making molds is something I tried when I wanted to get into making props a long time ago, but I don't have the patience or skill to make something smooth, everything I end up doing has giant scratches or obvious slice marks.

I'd be interested in reading how you do it though, if just out of curiosity.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 29, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided to go ahead and set up a Gunpla shelf instead of just putting them wherever or leaving them in the box. Seeing them all lined up like that, i think I might have a Petitgguy problem...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
If you want help, I wouldn't mind taking that PG Unicorn off your hands. :v:

Seriously though, I would be drove nuts trying to assemble/decal that beast of a kit. I praise your efforts.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The funny/sad thing is, aside from the PG Unicorn itself, I've had everything there for longer than I've had the Deep Striker.

At least I'm finally making progress on the backlog?

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Are there any other decent models in approximately 1/144 scale? Want to see some giant robots stomping on tanks and/or houses.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DKD posted:

Are there any other decent models in approximately 1/144 scale? Want to see some giant robots stomping on tanks and/or houses.

Quite a few, I haven't bought a ton but I can confirm Dragon's 1:144 Panzer Korps collect is nice and varied, plenty of detail with simple builds. They're glue-together rather than snapfir, though.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
FigInStock are shutting down at the end of the year, piss.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I decided to go ahead and set up a Gunpla shelf instead of just putting them wherever or leaving them in the box. Seeing them all lined up like that, i think I might have a Petitgguy problem...

Is the problem that you're missing some?

That Deepstriker is super rad, been a nice ride seeing it come together!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DKD posted:

Bandai sells a 2 pack that has a 1/72 and 1/144 X-Wing in it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Bandai sells a 2 pack that has a 1/72 and 1/144 X-Wing in it.

They've got a lot of Star Wars stuff in about that scale, including the Falcon and Slave 1. Even some little vehicle models for 600 yen. I'd also think the Ground War sets are worth mentioning. You get little tanks and hover trucks with the main kit, really detailed.

It's a start, at least.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Puddin posted:

Get a compressor with a tank, it will help with even air delivery for times you are spraying for extended periods.

Clean the tip of the airbrush regularly to avoid spotting, paint will dry on the tip and needs to be cleaned.

Clean the airbrush thoroughly, every time you finish. This is the most important part of it. Learn how to dismantle and put the airbrush back together.

Start off with water based acrylics first as they are super easy to work with and clean up. The solvent based paints will require a mask as they are very potent in fumes.

There are a great number of starter tutorials on the web, I must have spent a whole day watching and reading before I attempted it.

It's a little daunting, but it's actually not that hard and ultimately very rewarding.

E: I've thought lately of writing a guide for beginners from a beginners perspective for airbrushing. I know there's the laymans-gunpla-guide site but it's very general in its descriptions in parts.

Thanks!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
P-Bandai

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I just finished an interesting little product, it's a modular adapter that lets you swap backpacks between a range of 1/144 kits without doing any modification:

Some of the cooler looking combos I could think of:

The setup for the Hyakuri backpack ended up being kind of crazy but surprisingly stable, which gives me confidence I designed this thing correctly:

There are still a bunch of kits with special snowflake mounting points this doesn't cover, but I got the standard 3mm/4mm pegs and several of the more popular kits done this round, and adding more capability is easy with the basic system in place. Plus I get to buy and deduct those kits from my taxes as a business expense :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

To the surprise of nobody.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The Repair 1 looks way worse than any other Exia variant imo. I don't get why it's popular. Mainly because of the hosed up GN Blade, honestly.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

tatty capes rock

also busted up robot faces with one glowing red eye

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Also on the subject of P-Bandai:

cause there's no way in hell we're gonna see general release striker packs for this.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

punchymcpunch posted:

tatty capes rock

also busted up robot faces with one glowing red eye

but it's just a hosed up version of the best and most pure gundam robot man

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Another "Metal" line incoming - "Metal Structure" is going to debut with Nu Gundam: https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/11/metal-structure-series-revealed-at.html

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Good lord, 1/60 metal builds. Those are gonna be real goddamn pricey.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And I have yet to start my first Nu Gundam, the ver Ka... gah!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

if i ever hurt my arm im gonna cover it with a ragged filthy halfcape and rip one knee out of my jeans and smash up my keyboard and pop one lens outta my glasses

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Xy Hapu posted:

I just finished an interesting little product, it's a modular adapter that lets you swap backpacks between a range of 1/144 kits without doing any modification:

The setup for the Hyakuri backpack ended up being kind of crazy but surprisingly stable, which gives me confidence I designed this thing correctly:

There are still a bunch of kits with special snowflake mounting points this doesn't cover, but I got the standard 3mm/4mm pegs and several of the more popular kits done this round, and adding more capability is easy with the basic system in place. Plus I get to buy and deduct those kits from my taxes as a business expense :v:

This is super good and useful to me, even if all the mash up kits are in the backlog.

I will sell my entire physical body for a 1/60 nu if i can live inside it as a psycoframe ghost.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Oh my god, it looks so loving good:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Xy Hapu posted:

This is awesome.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Incredible. gently caress right off, Daban.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Last bit of image spam, honest, but I finished the rifle and decaled up the thrusters/fuel tanks. Finally I can have it take its place on my shelf as the biggest kit I will ever do.

And some detail close-ups:

Radome

Forever hidden decals between the legs.

Upskirt showing bits you'd otherwise never see. Note the giant blue-grey clamps, those are die cast and screwed on in three places to keep the kit upright and attached to the stand. Not shown is the die cast peg connecting the stand to the kit between the legs.

And finally the whole display as it exists now:

Send help.

Going to back up the statement that this thing terrifies the hell out of me. It's amazing, beautiful, and put together with an absurd amount of care, but the sheer size and number of parts in that thing puts me firmly on the side of considering it a primed frag grenade waiting to go off despite all the engineering that went into making sure it wasn't.

Congrats on finally getting that monstrosity done, and god help you on actually getting the rest of that backlog dealt with.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mikeycp posted:

The Repair 1 looks way worse than any other Exia variant imo. I don't get why it's popular. Mainly because of the hosed up GN Blade, honestly.

The battered, old, and still-deadly knight is a potent symbol. Another good example is Slave Knight Gael from Dark Souls. Plus, it was the first of Setsuna’s Gundams to do the Renaissance sword-and-duelling-cape thing, which is another flavour of cool.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mikeycp posted:

Incredible. gently caress right off, Daban.

We knew about this for a while now - what exactly is "gently caress right off"?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xy Hapu posted:

Do you have a site or anything? Big fan of customizing stuff, and if it helps out a goon all the better.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Do you have a site or anything? Big fan of customizing stuff, and if it helps out a goon all the better.

Thanks! I don't have a site but I usually throw the stuff I make up on ebay, here's the listing for the adapter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/322910956942

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Xy Hapu posted:

You're doing the Lord's work here. God bless you!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
To everyone here who has a SOC Megazord(which I think is just me...) SOC Dragonzord is confirmed:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

asterioth posted:

Oh my god, it looks so loving good:

Apparently this is a figure and not a model, drat.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

Maybe OT but how's the Cherno Alpha build going? I'm assuming it's the Plamax 1/350? I have big moon hits the eyes like a big pizza pie for that kit.

Long since completed. https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/search?q=author%3AMohnJaddenpowers+cherno&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all for all my WIP.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

To everyone here who has a SOC Megazord(which I think is just me...) SOC Dragonzord is confirmed:

Will it combine this is the most important question ever asked.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
PG Exia has shipped!

Weeeeeeeeeee!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DamnGlitch posted:

Will it combine this is the most important question ever asked.

That's actually the silliest question ever asked, because anyone who is familiar with Soul of Chogokin knows that unless you are a Getter, combination is a requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puddin posted:

PG Exia has shipped!

Weeeeeeeeeee!
Seems odd exia came after 00. Did you get the light up one?