Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Early data, Hammer winrate down nearly 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

She feels very weird to play so I can see it taking time before people get used to play her, there's also a buttload of counters to her as well

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, but everyone always says that about changes/new heroes, and you rarely see a significant correction on people getting used to the hero alone (as in, without a buff).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why did they get rid of two attempts on the boss for this...

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Hammer was always one of the most niche heroes in this game, and for HoTS that's really saying somehting. Everyone mass picking her on every map to give her a spin is gonna lead to some thrown games right there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
As a Garrosh player, I'm all about these changes :getin:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Spudd posted:

She feels very weird to play so I can see it taking time before people get used to play her, there's also a buttload of counters to her as well

Making my brain press D instead of E to drop out of seige is really loving hard and got me killed a bunch last night.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why did they trash hovertanks speed so much.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I had hoped that nerf would push people away from slowly crawling around while sieged, but if the game I had this morning is anything to go by, nnnnnope! :v:

Then again I honestly don't know what that talent was ever supposed to accomplish, especially when directly competing with graduating range.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
They should make Hover Siege baseline. And then replace Graduating Range with an active ability talent that instantly grants you increased range for some amount of time and then it goes on cooldown.

Welp, time to rework the rework. Let's get those Kael'thas guys on it.

And give her a godamn quest while you're at it.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 30, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I hate hover siege. If it were baseline I'd never play her again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Elysium posted:

They should make Hover Siege baseline. And then replace Graduating Range with an active ability talent that instantly grants you increased range for some amount of time and then it goes on cooldown.

That was how I thought the entirety of siege mode should work. A sort of mini-ult where for 10 seconds or whatever Hammer gets to rain hell over a large chunk of real estate at the expense of being immobile and then it goes on cooldown for a little while. Prevents bads from staying sieged for literally the entire game and gives them room to make the ability more interesting and powerful because it doesn't have 100% uptime.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Nothing would prevent bads from staying sieged the entire game. Just saying.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Erdricks posted:

Nothing would prevent bads from staying sieged the entire game. Just saying.

The only thing that will get me out of siege mode is if hanzo was released

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
:spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4GwNVCFV0

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Blizz nerfed supports so the heroic brawl would be harder!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So next update is supposed to have stealth changes, tower changes, and hanzo yeah?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

lucifirius posted:

Blizz nerfed supports so the heroic brawl would be harder!

The way we won it was Lucio, Karazhim, Arthas, Sonya and Valla. I can't see anyone surviving the Baneling guantlet without Valla.

NeurosisHead posted:

Making my brain press D instead of E to drop out of seige is really loving hard and got me killed a bunch last night.

gently caress I'm glad I am not the only person who did that.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Spudd posted:

The way we won it was Lucio, Karazhim, Arthas, Sonya and Valla. I can't see anyone surviving the Baneling guantlet without Valla.

gently caress I'm glad I am not the only person who did that.

I beat it with Xul, Artanis, Zarya, Valla, Kharazim. Artanis basically facetanked all the banelings. I think we picked him up 3 times by the end. Xul alone can cleave entire hordes of zerg and his skeletons take a lot of heat off your team. The other 4 have good single target DPS and Kharazim can really poo poo out heals with insight and echo of heaven/perma deadly reach.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Varian can just Varian through piles of banelings.

I got to the boss on my second try this morning but after wiping because we didn't focus down a single nydus spawner thinger I didn't feel like toughing the rest of it out again. With the right heroes in play it doesn't feel nearly as challenging as it first seems, just time consuming.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Varian and Sonya are more or less perfect for this brawl and none of the teams I've had that they were present for have failed.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Power Bottom posted:

Varian and Sonya are more or less perfect for this brawl and none of the teams I've had that they were present for have failed.

What spec for Varian?

Unrelated, is there ever a time to take plate of the whale on Cassia? I had a qm game with no support, and the other side had Lucio and Raynor so it was easy to stack it up quickly and I figured why not. I question if it was better than blind/fend -ing a wave though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Probably: King's Quest, Shield Wall, Second Wind, Twin Blades, Juggernaut (pretty sure there's not a lot of healing/shielding going on, yeah?), Ironforge, Glory to the Alliance

Though I wonder how goofy Victory Rush is during the initial levels. Shame it would screw you over on the boss.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

Probably: King's Quest, Shield Wall, Second Wind, Twin Blades, Juggernaut (pretty sure there's not a lot of healing/shielding going on, yeah?), Ironforge, Glory to the Alliance

Though I wonder how goofy Victory Rush is during the initial levels. Shame it would screw you over on the boss.

The boss has banelings and other adds though, wouldn't those trigger it?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

The boss 'lings are a non-issue you just walk away from them, it's the normal banelings that seem to be the end of all my runs.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

greymane does well too, shame you don't get cleave until the last bit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

greymane does well too, shame you don't get cleave until the last bit.

Greymane is a lot less good this time because he has no sustain.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Finally beat the brawl! Only took 12 tries. :smug:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Greymane is a lot less good this time because he has no sustain.

yeah for speed runs i can see that, got through fine both times but had 2 supports.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't even get past the first map. That last wave of hydras + two heroes at once just immediately kills everyone, every time.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Li Li talk - We gon' be alright. I think Li Li still would've been alright if she didn't get the healing buffs but I also think she needed them. The healing nerfs (and the whole rework) weren't really good to her. There are a few cool things about it but losing four blinds at four and the range nerf on Healing Brew and the removal of talents with nothing to replace them (this happens to other heroes too unfortunately) and no quests (they could fit one on to Blinding Winds somehow, like hitting two heroes ten times or something like that) really annoyed me.

Edit - Just beat the brawl on my second try as Lucio/Sonya/Greymane/Gazlowe/Johanaa

I did an rear end job on Lucio since I barely know what he does and we won but it got rough because of me not realizing I didn't have the healing track going on the last boss.

This one is also much harder and feels like a WoW dungeon to me, which I liked.

Edit edit - Made Li Li talk first even though chronologically it came second. Li Li talk is the most important thing about Heroes of the Storm.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 1, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Took ten stupid tries. I think Valla makes this a lot easier.

Comp that finished it was:

Sonya
Lucio
Varian
Valla
Uther (???)

The first four seem really solid for this. I usually played Sonya. Just focus the hydras, it's the most important job and Sonya's the best at it. From there hope your team doesn't throw. Also take advice from someone else because it took me ten tries.

I think they may have patched it this morning to be easier though, there was no Murky.

Also Alarak finally on sale next week.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 1, 2017

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I just loaded this up for the first time, not knowing anything about it, or having any MOBA experience. I picked Muradin, and played through the tutorial. As best as I can tell, it is a game about destroying bird statues.

Should I be starting with AI allies and opponents until I get a handle on things? I hear that MOBA communities can be kind of toxic. Are my allies going to tell me that I am a pigfucker, and that they hosed my mom? Is it worth spending cash on, or is it easy to unlock stuff by playing?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Play vs ai (with human teammates) until you start seeing a few maps that aren't cursed hollow. Then play qm once you know what mercenaries, catapults and keeps are and at which levels you get talents.

You'll be queued with other new players so feel free to say when you've never played a map before.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

quote:

Are my allies going to tell me that I am a pigfucker, and that they hosed my mom?

They might, but they would do so regardless of your performance during that game. So just make the switch from AI opponents to Quick match whenever you feel like it.

I wouldn't bother with AI teammates outside of the tutorial stuff tho, that seems only useful if you're setting up controls and graphic settings (and you can use Try Mode for that, it is available when you are browsing a hero or one of their skins). You can probably learn a thing of two from other players, since there are plenty of players who play against the dumbest bots just to finish their daily quest quickly.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Filthy Monkey posted:

I just loaded this up for the first time, not knowing anything about it, or having any MOBA experience. I picked Muradin, and played through the tutorial. As best as I can tell, it is a game about destroying bird statues.

Should I be starting with AI allies and opponents until I get a handle on things? I hear that MOBA communities can be kind of toxic. Are my allies going to tell me that I am a pigfucker, and that they hosed my mom? Is it worth spending cash on, or is it easy to unlock stuff by playing?

A few things:

1. Find goons to play with. In-game, in the chat box, type "/join sagoons" and say hello and ask if anyone can help you learn. If nobody is online, /join MFPT is usually a chill bunch.
2. Click the first link in the OP for Discord. Install if you don't have it already. Even if you don't have a mic, most goons will be happy to help you out and coach you, so that'll help you listen.
3. Don't buy heroes with gold until you play them on the free rotation up to level 5 and you're sure you really like them. Playing free rotation heroes to lvl 5 is an important part of learning the game, and you get gold bonuses too! If you can, do this for all free heroes every week.
4. Playing with human allies can give you more experience if you group up before queueing (you're in a "party") and also more if you add at least one of them as a friend before the game.
5. Don't reroll loot boxes with gold. There are lots of cheap heroes for gold you can unlock first! You don't really *need* to unlock heroes the first several months you play, though, as the free rotation is generally a good mix and outside of competitive it'll do ya fine.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Have they done the "zoom out" yet?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

lucifirius posted:

The boss has banelings and other adds though, wouldn't those trigger it?

I feel like you'd need the healing most during the hero spawns, which is when there are fewer adds and nobody is actively trying to kill them anyway. I haven't seen the full fight on hard though so I'm not clear on exactly how much poo poo piles on past the initial phase.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Varians I've been playing with are clearly "good varians" in real games because they have no idea how to build twin blades and go full parry talents. Which is ofc terrible for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Incidentally, how do you build Valla for hard mode anyway? I tried half-W, half-AA stuff but that team wiped in the second area so I didn't get a good feel for it.