Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

:psyduck:
Is passed the lowest passing grade or what the hell is going on here?

Major OJ here is literally going "That's bullshit, but I believe it."
It's the lowest, yeah. Commonly "approbatur" for "accepted". They start heaping praise onto it if you do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

:psyduck:
Is passed the lowest passing grade or what the hell is going on here?

Major OJ here is literally going "That's bullshit, but I believe it."

The grading scheme seems to have changed quite significantly over the years, but my interpretation is that this is the lowest passing grade.

E:

Assuming that they are using Finnish translations of the older latin-based grading system still used for master's theses in Finland today, the grades would be, from worst to best:

Approbatur - Accepted - Significant weaknesses, but fulfils the minimum requirements
Lubenter Approbator - Gladly accepted - Many significant weaknesses without compensating merits. Alternatively too short.
Non sine laude approbatur - Accepted not without commendation - Clear weaknesses without compensating merits.
Cum laude approbatur - Accepted with commendation - A standard work. This is the intended level.
Magna cum laude approbatur - Accepted with great commendation - Better than average. Clear merits without compensating weaknesses.
Eximia cum laude approbatur - Accepted with excellent commendation - Significant merits without compensating weaknesses.
Laudatur - Praised - In all parts exceptional and ambitious

Loezi fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 30, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GUNS posted:

your timing was off: they fell in love and deserted together, but the guy i talked to didn't know when in their relationship the one who was a dude discovered that the one who was a chick, was a chick. so there's a sort of penumbra of gayness over the whole thing.

Gotta be honest, I would watch the gently caress out of a cheesy british romantic comedy based on that premise.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Supposedly this is a WWI German flamethrower operator's helmet. Seems like they had a lot of swagger.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cyrano4747 posted:

Gotta be honest, I would watch the gently caress out of a cheesy british romantic comedy based on that premise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTR8qYWJbQ

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Animal posted:

Maybe because I am Latin American myself and Spanish is my main language. When we study American history, it’s for the whole western hemisphere. There’s ‘history of the United States’ (“Historia Estadounidence”)
i grew up in a spanish speaking region of the US (i don't speak the language although i've been surrounded with it all my life) and this was the case for us as well--we definitely got the whole hemisphere except canada in our high school classes

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

e: I think I've lain hands on a parchment book once. The pages felt really weird. It felt and sounded a bit like leafing through a stack of sliced ham, pretty jarring. Is that it?
It feels almost plasticky, and you can "pop" it. A liiitle bit of slidey-ness against your fingers. Very durable.

I have never leafed through a stack of sliced ham so I don't know what that sounds like.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 30, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What does parchment smell like?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Supposedly this is a WWI German flamethrower operator's helmet. Seems like they had a lot of swagger.

New metal gear solid lookin good

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

It can only be topped if someone reenacted New Model Army at the castle, advancing on it with bess refiles and lobster-tailed helmets :mil101:

Please tell me you don't mean the Brown Bess, which is a musket, from the next century, or I am doing a :thejoke: :shobon:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not to be confused with the Baker refile. Uh, rifle.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

feedmegin posted:

Please tell me you don't mean the Brown Bess, which is a musket, from the next century, or I am doing a :thejoke: :shobon:

Ack, sorry, I thought the NMA had brown besses :(

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

xthetenth posted:

Who posted the Warsaw memoir again? I've been sleeping better. I'm looking to fix that.

Actually over all, are there any actually good memoirs by Germans of the Eastern Front that aren't better described as "historical" fiction?

Is this the Warsaw memoir you're thinking of?

http://www.warsawuprising.com/witness/schenk.htm

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tias posted:

Ack, sorry, I thought the NMA had brown besses :(

Nope, they had matchlock muskets. The Bess musket series wouldn't show up until the 18th century.

Also, Land Pattern or India Pattern?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nope, they had matchlock muskets. The Bess musket series wouldn't show up until the 18th century.

Also, Land Pattern or India Pattern?

The sperginess, it comforts me :unsmith:

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 4, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

What does parchment smell like?
same as paper: like the dust it's covered in, and the chemicals the paint, ink, and wax are made out of. The really old dust is powder-fine. Book covers have a leathery smell.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I believe so.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It's been a while since I was doing history of writing and calligraphy, so hopefully I don't cross anything up.

Old pages got at least two dustings of fine, gritty material. The first pass would be with pounce - usually ground cuttlefish bone, but chalk, pumice, or gum sandarac was also used. Parchment and vellum were pretty poor writing surfaces, especially when using a quill or steel nub, so they had to be treated to make them smoother and prevent spidering of the ink. One side would be treated, then excess shaken or tapped off the page.

After writing, in some places a very fine sand - or sometimes just the pounce because it was handy - would be applied to help dry the ink. There's a lot of argument about whether this actually works worth a drat, but it was definitely done. If nothing else going through the process ensures time is allowed for drying. The Victorians did it a lot, and it might be their usual case of misreading old accounts and then authoritatively and excessively putting it into practice. It was also very popular in Europe, while blotting paper was preferred in America, so American tourists often complained about getting grit in their wallets or purses because it was on tickets and other documents they had to handle.

Again, the stuff was supposed to be shaken off but anyone who's encountered sand or sawdust knows you don't get all of it off with just shaking or brushing.

Stack up a few hundred pages in a book, stick a few thousand books in an archive, and give it a couple centuries to deteriorate and you get a lot of grit.

EDIT: Also if I remember right, 19th century Italian clerks were noted for using a particularly nasty, gritty drying sand very liberally.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 30, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's been a while since I was doing history of writing and calligraphy, so hopefully I don't cross anything up.

Old pages got at least two dustings of fine, gritty material. The first pass would be with pounce - usually ground cuttlefish bone, but chalk, pumice, or gum sandarac was also used. Parchment and vellum were pretty poor writing surfaces, especially when using a quill or steel nub, so they had to be treated to make them smoother and prevent spidering of the ink. One side would be treated, then excess shaken or tapped off the page.

After writing, in some places a very fine sand - or sometimes just the pounce because it was handy - would be applied to help dry the ink. There's a lot of argument about whether this actually works worth a drat, but it was definitely done. If nothing else going through the process ensures time is allowed for drying. The Victorians did it a lot, and it might be their usual case of misreading old accounts and then authoritatively and excessively putting it into practice. It was also very popular in Europe, while blotting paper was preferred in America, so American tourists often complained about getting grit in their wallets or purses because it was on tickets and other documents they had to handle.

Again, the stuff was supposed to be shaken off but anyone who's encountered sand or sawdust knows you don't get all of it off with just shaking or brushing.

Stack up a few hundred pages in a book, stick a few thousand books in an archive, and give it a couple centuries to deteriorate and you get a lot of grit.

EDIT: Also if I remember right, 19th century Italian clerks were noted for using a particularly nasty, gritty drying sand very liberally.
I have seen sand that was so coarse it still glittered liberally encrusted on a particularly hastily- written document, but these are military documents. When the musterschreiber or regimental secretary is handling the correspondence on a trestle table under a tree in the middle of Pomerania, there may or may not be any pounce around.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Loezi posted:

[*]Future AT-guns will weigh over a ton, with the carriage weighing nearly a ton as well. Guns will be placed in turrets on armored carriages, thus resulting in anti-tank weapons systems that are tanks themselves. Such anti-tank tanks will likely still have lighter armor, but overall we will advance towards a single unified general-purpose tank, rather than normal tanks and anti-tank tanks.

So, a "tank, destroyer of" tank? :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody hell that must have been a shock.

Also weird really considering it's barely the salary of a single MP.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We really don't have our financial and political priorities in any direction. We're twirling twirling twirling towards whatever.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

I have seen sand that was so coarse it still glittered liberally encrusted on a particularly hastily- written document, but these are military documents. When the musterschreiber or regimental secretary is handling the correspondence on a trestle table under a tree in the middle of Pomerania, there may or may not be any pounce around.
Field expedient pounce and/or drying sand definitely sounds like a nightmare.

As you indicated, I should have added that most discussions of the process are based around the experiences of modern calligraphers, where it's a niche process pretty much only done under ideal conditions with the best materials that person can buy. Historically it was just the way it was done so there's all sorts of rushed work, make-dos, and just plain gently caress-ups in the mix. Whoops the clerk forgot to shake off the last page because it was hurrying so he could get to dinner, hope you don't mind that pile of crushed mollusc that just landed on your lap. Or the aide de camp hurriedly dumping a pile of third-rate discount drying sand he got from some poo poo hole of a jumped up Duchy onto an account sheet and shoving it immediately into a satchel because the goddamn Swedes just showed up unexpectedly and everyone is running around like their hair is on fire.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

xthetenth posted:

Who posted the Warsaw memoir again? I've been sleeping better. I'm looking to fix that.

Actually over all, are there any actually good memoirs by Germans of the Eastern Front that aren't better described as "historical" fiction?

Here's something to fix that.

http://zapisyterroru.pl/dlibra

It's a database of several hundred translated testimonies of witnesses and victims of Nazi (and sometimes Soviet) violence, mostly taken during post-war trials of Nazi criminals. I worked on this project. I can guarantee it should help with your sleeping-too-well issue.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 30, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

Bloody hell that must have been a shock.

Also weird really considering it's barely the salary of a single MP.

if i ever become the prime minister, we're going back to that IMMEDIATELY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1TwTXkBnUY

Because what goes better together than stabbing people, shooting stuff, and heavy drinking.

With included bonus chance of shooting somebody while trying to open your wine.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Field expedient pounce and/or drying sand definitely sounds like a nightmare.

As you indicated, I should have added that most discussions of the process are based around the experiences of modern calligraphers, where it's a niche process pretty much only done under ideal conditions with the best materials that person can buy. Historically it was just the way it was done so there's all sorts of rushed work, make-dos, and just plain gently caress-ups in the mix. Whoops the clerk forgot to shake off the last page because it was hurrying so he could get to dinner, hope you don't mind that pile of crushed mollusc that just landed on your lap. Or the aide de camp hurriedly dumping a pile of third-rate discount drying sand he got from some poo poo hole of a jumped up Duchy onto an account sheet and shoving it immediately into a satchel because the goddamn Swedes just showed up unexpectedly and everyone is running around like their hair is on fire.
found a page with a spider squashed on it once

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Future historians can speculate about how the Brexit Dark Ages were apparently so bad that the records were lost...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Comrade Gorbash, what kind of calligraphy do you do? I've been training myself to do 17th century German writing, with a quill pen (I prepare and cut them myself) and oak gall ink.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
All right, I know that this is off-topic, and that I've never posted in this thread before, but from my years of lurking, I think there might be some people in here with some interest. I am currently running a government sim in The Game Room sub-forum, and we're currently in the midst of an election, so I wanted to invite anyone with the slightest bit of interest to come over and vote. It doesn't have anything in common with military history, but surprisingly it does have some things in common with some of the latest arguments ITT.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

Comrade Gorbash, what kind of calligraphy do you do? I've been training myself to do 17th century German writing, with a quill pen (I prepare and cut them myself) and oak gall ink.
I haven't done it in years, but I started with Chinese brush calligraphy (I was studying Mandarin at the time), and then was dabbling in mostly English script with a steel nib before I got too busy. I was never particularly good at it. To be honest I spent more time reading about calligraphy than actually practicing it.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 30, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What if any are good examples of legitimately fanatical modern (read: post industrial revolution) soldiers? Define "fanatical" however you want.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1TwTXkBnUY

Because what goes better together than stabbing people, shooting stuff, and heavy drinking.

With included bonus chance of shooting somebody while trying to open your wine.

Hey Gal’s guys wouldn’t need a special gun-tool to accidentally shoot someone while opening wine.

On that note, what would be the best possibility to drinking the kind of wine that existed in the Early Modern period? Making it myself?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bewbies posted:

What if any are good examples of legitimately fanatical modern (read: post industrial revolution) soldiers? Define "fanatical" however you want.

The Chinese dudes who wrapped up bombs on their bodies and ran at Japanese tanks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

bewbies posted:

Most of the posthumous winners of stuff like the Victoria Cross probably count.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's probably a fair few trucking around in various sides of the Syrian conflict.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The Japanese guys who ran at a Chinese barricade with a breaching charge on a short fuse and blew themselves up.

(Actually their officer hosed up cutting the fuse, dudes were supposed to have time to escape)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

found a page with a spider squashed on it once
What year was it from?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bewbies posted:

The diehard Nazis who were executing civilians and fellow soldiers for suspected defeatism and desertion in 1945?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

The SS Hitler Jugend probably qualifies. Totally ideologically nutso products of the Hitler Youth who ground their division into dust doing poo poo in Normandy that all the regular soldiers thought was crazy. Brave, but stupid.