Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Value of Bitcoin don pass $10,000 posted:

Di worth of one single Bitcoin don pass $10,000 (wey reach like £7,493).

Bitcoin wey be e-currency don reach dis level for di first time, after e just pass $9,000.

Dis new standard don show serious rise for di crypto-currency wey bin dey trade below $1,000 for di beginning of 2017.

Some experts believe say di asset still fit grow pass as e dey now but others feel say e fit crash at any time because e no get strong backbone.

Di worth of all di Bitcoins wey dey world don pass $167bn.

Bitcoin bin reach $1,000 for late 2013 but e bin drop well-well before e come begin rise again, reach where e dey now.

E no too dey clear wetin dey make di money rise reach like dis, especially because some financial regulators don recently limit as people dey use am.

Switzerland dey flush gold every year

Tori be say one thing wey fit don help di currency na di way one US derivatives company CME Group announce say dem get plan to launch Bitcoin product before 2017 go end - something wey come make people get confidence for di currency.

Plenty sabi-people for di industry believe say di sharp-sharp rise of bitcoin no fit dey steady and e go soon drop.

Plenty Africans don dey use am

Plenty people for world including young people for Africa dey try make money from dis crypto-currency. Some of dem dey even enter social media to yarn about Bitcoin.

Di first time dem produce Bitcoin na for 2009 and e take time well-well before people begin use am as real money to do buying and selling.

One of di first ever thing dem use bitcoin buy na two pizzas for chop, wey cost 10,000 Bitcoins.

Dis bitcoin boom don make other online money begin show face. One of dem na Ethereum wey worth about $480 but for di beginning of 2017, e worth only $10.

Even though say di interest dey there, people still get fear to put dia money inside Bitcoin, tori fit be say na because dem no too understand as di currency dey work or because dem no just wan lose dia money.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Plenty sabi-people for di industry believe say di sharp-sharp rise of bitcoin no fit dey steady and e go soon drop.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What am I reading, and why do I suddenly feel racist-by-Association?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

fruit on the bottom posted:

What am I reading, and why do I suddenly feel racist-by-Association?

That's a language BBC uses called pidgin. Been a few gbs threads about it and it makes just about everything better.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Powershift posted:

Why don't they just make a suckertoken to give to people

they do, they're called bitcoins :smug:

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

meat police posted:

Gold is still cool, right? Asking for a friend.

Gold is cool, I would consider silver as well. Silver has been used for centuries as a currency. In addition, you can fashion weapons out of silver should you ever need to engage in combat with a werewolf.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

copper. I know it has value because meth heads will steal that poo poo straight out from under you.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Soooooo bitcoins are cookie-rewards for letting someone else use your hardware to crack a crypto puzzle?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Waffle House posted:

Soooooo bitcoins are cookie-rewards for letting someone else use your hardware to crack a crypto puzzle?
a total cryptocurrency newb? watch this primer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPMwqtDHw0

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/16717416/us-coinbase-irs-records

quote:

Today, Coinbase suffered a major defeat at the hands of the Internal Revenue Service, nearly a year after the case was initially filed. A California federal court has ordered Coinbase to turn over identifying records for all users who have bought, sold, sent, or received more than $20,000 through their accounts in a single year. Coinbase estimates that 14,355 users meet the government’s requirements.

I'm sure this will help with a $20,000 valuation

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

quote:

For each account, the company has been asked to provide the IRS with the user’s name, birth date, address, and taxpayer ID, along with records of all account activity and any associated account statements. The result is both a definitive link to the user’s identity and a comprehensive record of everything they’ve done with their Coinbase account, including other accounts to which they’ve sent money.

Ahahaha

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
welp its been fun all but im goin to jail.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

Wheres a link to see it go up and down?

https://cryptowat.ch/

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

lol tax avoiders better start filing those amended returns

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Uranium 235 posted:

lol tax avoiders better start filing those amended returns
Not just tax avoiders. Once they can tie addresses to people, they can follow all coins that passed through those addresses and went to (for example) Silk Road.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

vortmax posted:

Not just tax avoiders. Once they can tie addresses to people, they can follow all coins that passed through those addresses and went to (for example) Silk Road.

also I think he means tax evaders

which is a pretty big difference

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpEaFmK3lrY

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rut roh

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I want you to know that there's a few real gems in this thread, and you're one of them. You're scared of actually talking to me, which is loving mind blowing, but you really really want to participate with these dumb rear end jabs which is even more incredible

*checks playbook* I think it's time you respond with an ironicat emote
Observe how the Ham Sandwiches completely avoids the point where they are proven wrong yet again, instead engaging in a direct attack on the poster who pointed out their error. Fascinating. Perhaps it's part of their mating ritual?

Join us next time on Wild Bitcoiners.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think goons once again called the death of Bitcoin early.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

also I think he means tax evaders

which is a pretty big difference
oh yeah that's what i meant. avoidance is legal and evasion is illegal i reckon

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waffle House posted:

Sort of; the puzzle is basically just a random number guessing game where each guess is expensive to make, and the range of allowed guesses expands or contracts depending on how many other people are also making random guesses

CassandraZara posted:

I think goons once again called the death of Bitcoin early.

Are you implying that goons were calling Bitcoin dead during this most recent crash? I must have missed those posts

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know, seemed like some people smelled blood and we're looking their chops already.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
i lust for bitcoin death

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CassandraZara posted:

I don't know, seemed like some people smelled blood and we're looking their chops already.

Crashes like this one are common enough that I'd be surprised if anyone thought "DEATH OF BITCOIN IS HERE" during the 30 minutes in which the crash was occurring

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
What sucks is that a bunch of well-meaning, but stupid, people are going to get caught up in this mess when it hits the fan.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Well yeah but that's why it's called Greater Fool theory

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

CassandraZara posted:

the phrase is licking their chops. as in what a dog does when it salivates upon anticipating food

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
bitcoin isn't real

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gary oldmans diary posted:

the phrase is licking their chops. as in what a dog does when it salivates upon anticipating food

whoa

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

QuarkJets posted:

Crashes like this one are common enough that I'd be surprised if anyone thought "DEATH OF BITCOIN IS HERE" during the 30 minutes in which the crash was occurring

Which kinda speaks for what's going to kill it eventually. That you can have a currency lose 20% of it's value almost immediately, and people AREN'T throwing themselves from the windows suggests a significant lack of faith in the stability of said currency.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3T4EutKWyc
Where's all my money? Where's all my money gone???

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Arbitrary margin calls in an unregulated market? What's next? Bitfinex absconds with all the money?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I thought it was just a joke for the longest time, but it's really a word.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

amotea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3T4EutKWyc
Where's all my money? Where's all my money gone???

I used to deal with people who "lost" money on non executed sales or buys all the time. Active non professional traders are some of the dumbest people on the planet. That said, this is exactly why OTC exchanges are loving stupid to have any non-trivial amount of money in. They will not help you, they will never make you whole.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

WarEternal posted:

I thought it was just a joke for the longest time, but it's really a word.

Just remember almost every Simpson writer is a Harvard graduate.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

there were two autocorrect errors in that post

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Just remember almost every Simpson writer is a Harvard graduate.

I like to think of it as a reference to this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znz44MPJcFs

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway I'm Seraph84, haver of Bitcoins.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

CassandraZara posted: