Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Almost killed" seems like an exaggeration, and "exploding" is not accurate. The bottle took off like a rocket and it probably could have broken her nose or put out an eye if it hit her in the face, but they aren't capping the bottles, which is what turns them into bombs. Huge difference.

Like, I'd say that an impact would compare pretty closely to what happened to this woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmhaj5-F-Fo

and she didn't even get a nosebleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Or medical help, apparently.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

[generic surfing pun]

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

So apparently OSHA thread favorite Don Blankenship is going to get to be a senator now. I mean unless he manages to lose the Republican primary to an even bigger piece of poo poo, but it's gonna be tough finding one of those even in West Virginia.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Deadly explosion inside New Windsor cosmetics plant. An employee was trying to clean up some spilled hexamethyldisiloxane and static electricity did its thing.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzzA-JOu9Lk

News Story: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/11/29/cosmetics-plant-explosion-video/

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 30, 2017

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Would you kindly nms the people dying stuff thx

I had my hopes up that an explosion in a cosmetics factory would be more like this

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The Sausages posted:

Would you kindly nms the people dying stuff thx

I had my hopes up that an explosion in a cosmetics factory would be more like this

The guy in the video only got minor burns. I think someone died when the fire spread.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
That's OK I guess :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Xir posted:

So do I. I watched that video twice, the trucks never touch.
Theory: A gas leak filled the cab with an explosive gas mixture. When the other truck was backing up it caused vibrations which rattled some loose electrical connection and ignited the mixture.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sam Hall posted:

So apparently OSHA thread favorite Don Blankenship is going to get to be a senator now. I mean unless he manages to lose the Republican primary to an even bigger piece of poo poo, but it's gonna be tough finding one of those even in West Virginia.
Just imagine how many votes he'd get if he changed his name to Kenny.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Just imagine how many votes he'd get if he changed his name to Kenny.

Right you are, Vic.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Say Nothing posted:

[generic surfing pun]

Pacific Coast Highway I'm betting.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Say Nothing posted:

[generic surfing pun]

Looks like it didn't Fit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

[generic surfing pun]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Say Nothing posted:

[generic surfing pun]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP2cNSSO9tE

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PhotoKirk posted:

siiiiick

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PhotoKirk posted:

:five:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I worked one day for DHL, literally one (I got another offer from a job I actually wanted) and I have no idea how anything even semi fragile gets anywhere in one piece. It can only be due to the magic of packaging.

Boxes came down the conveyor belt for sorting by the drivers of each route. You'd just look for your route number and fling it off the conveyor into a pile around you. It went way, way too fast for anyone to be even the least bit careful. Things that ended up on the wrong pile were literally thrown across the room.

Then I went for a ride along. At the end of the route there was just one unsecured package left in the back of the van and I could hear it careening around the walls every time we made a turn. I asked the driver if we should stop and tie it down. "Nah."

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
All shipping companies have their issues and I've had problems with deliveries from FedEx, UPS, etc. But DHL is above and beyond the worst and I have never sent or received a shipment through them that wasn't horrifically hosed up in some way.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/41Aw5AU.mp4

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You knucklehead, why i aughta, WHOOOOOOOP whoopwhoopwhoop

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Took me a few loops to notice the guy at the bottom who apparently doesn't give a gently caress.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Reminded me of an old favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KvxOuC7Bhc

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

There is so much to love about this, but my favorite is the machine reverses course and comes right back at the guy who initially dropped it.

I AM FREE, KILL MODE ENGAGED

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Peetown Manning posted:

Took me a few loops to notice the guy at the bottom who apparently doesn't give a gently caress.

He's smart, he knows there's nothing for it but to let it wear itself out killing the others.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The machine is now blinded and angry.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Necrosaro posted:

Deadly explosion inside New Windsor cosmetics plant. An employee was trying to clean up some spilled hexamethyldisiloxane and static electricity did its thing.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzzA-JOu9Lk

News Story: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/11/29/cosmetics-plant-explosion-video/

That was crazy, how do you work with that amount of dangerous chem and not be trained on it?

or is that a freak accident?

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Someone who actually knows chemistry (I'm just getting started) can correct me, but it looks to me like he was just seriously unlucky.

It appears the ignition source was literally "rubbed paper towels on a minor spill, causing spark".
Not the sort of activity one would think of as dangerous, except in retrospect.

Looking back at the accident, though, it makes sense.
Rubbing paper on plastic can easily build up a charge, and the reinforcing metal cage on the container provides an easy path to ground. It may that this type of container is just really good at producing sparks when cleaned in this manner.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 1, 2017

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Moto42 posted:

Someone who actually knows chemistry (I'm just getting started) can correct me, but it looks to me like he was just seriously unlucky.

Looks like the ignition source was literally "rubbed paper towels on a minor spill, causing spark".

It was static electricity. He was rubbing a paper towel on a plastic container, and generated a static buildup on his cloth(and also the plastic). Unfortunately for the worker, there were also big metal bars running across the plastic bin. He moved the paper towel near the metal rod, and the paper towel equalized with it, generating a small spark(like when you shock someone with static electricity). The chemical was extremely flammable and all over that particular area, so the spark ignited the chemical, causing the fireball.

For someone who works with flammable chemicals like this, it's almost a certainty they're trained on static electricity. Unless the investigation shows there was 0 safety training, I think this is squarely the worker's fault. He should have known better.

e: Beaten :argh:

HarmB fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 1, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Peetown Manning posted:

When a fight breaks out near you, your instinct might be to jump in and help. But that's how you end up getting stabbed for your trouble.

It's the same with fights between humans and machines. :v:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I worked as a mail-handler for USPS for four months in 2000 (worst job I ever had). I usually sorted SPBS junk mail but I would sometimes get called off to help unload trucks when they fell behind. Usually they were full of filthy, noxious smelling mail bags, but one day it was a truck full of computers. I can't remember if it was Gateway2000 or Dell but it was obvious what we were unloading and back then even basic PCs were still really expensive. We unloaded those boxes exactly as if they were mail bags, just throwing the boxes 10 or 15 feet the tall mail carts. You could hear stuff breaking and I'm looking around because I feel like this isn't okay but nobody gave a poo poo; just unload as fast as possible and move on.

I ended up leaving that job after I started to get repetitive stress injuries and was literally told that they would just fire me instead of giving me a wrist brace.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I was management at UPS- which gave me the added benefit of being expected to skirt basically every health and safety rule and not report the subsequent injuries because- cm'on I'm a team player right?

My favorite memory was watching another manager trying to break a jam on a moving conveyor by stomping on the jammed boxes until it crushed enough to start moving- when it suddenly did, his foot got caught in the moving jam, torqued his leg, and detached it at the knee.

It was a hell of a way to learn that the guy had a prosthetic leg

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MausoleumExtremist posted:

I was management at UPS- which gave me the added benefit of being expected to skirt basically every health and safety rule and not report the subsequent injuries because- cm'on I'm a team player right?

My favorite memory was watching another manager trying to break a jam on a moving conveyor by stomping on the jammed boxes until it crushed enough to start moving- when it suddenly did, his foot got caught in the moving jam, torqued his leg, and detached it at the knee.

I want to believe that this is the exact procedure that led to him having a prosthetic leg in the first place.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

He must have lost it the last time he did the exact same thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AND THAT'S WHY YOU ALWAYS LEAVE A NOTE

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

I'm shocked those don't have lanyard kill switches like boats and jet skis.

Of course, much like a lot of boaters, I'm sure the guys working those would just not wear the lanyard.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Just zip tie it like my dad did to the dead man's lever on his lawnmower

Ain't nobody got time to restart a lawnmower

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Imagined posted:

I worked one day for DHL, literally one (I got another offer from a job I actually wanted) and I have no idea how anything even semi fragile gets anywhere in one piece. It can only be due to the magic of packaging.

Boxes came down the conveyor belt for sorting by the drivers of each route. You'd just look for your route number and fling it off the conveyor into a pile around you. It went way, way too fast for anyone to be even the least bit careful. Things that ended up on the wrong pile were literally thrown across the room.

Then I went for a ride along. At the end of the route there was just one unsecured package left in the back of the van and I could hear it careening around the walls every time we made a turn. I asked the driver if we should stop and tie it down. "Nah."

Last Christmas, a DHL driver got his truck stuck on my steep, rural driveway. The poo poo he did to the truck to free it from the mud was entertaining. He gave not a single gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Wm1dBVe.mp4