Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a Pro Controller coming today, and I'm taking my Switch away for the weekend tomorrow... if I use the controller's USB cable with an Anker charger into the dock, this should replicate the power cable it ships with so I can leave that in place, yeah?
What are you trying to do exactly? Charge the Pro Controller while taking the Switch and dock somewhere else? Or are you leaving the dock and just taking the Switch and A/C adapter somewhere else?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hope someone makes a breakout cable, or something similar, just so I can put everything I need Switch related into my little carry case and it be enough to use both portable and on a TV without having to take the dock.
Nyko makes a Portable Docking Kit that does what you want for $50, but it's not without issues. For one, it needs a firmware upgrade to resolve sleep issues on the latest Switch firmware. There's also been reports of the dock frying the USB port on Switches. It sounds like Nyko has been pretty good about handling the situation--if it does fry your Switch USB port they'll replace the Switch for you.

That said, I'm concerned about third-party docks/adapters now. The Switch's USB port takes quite a bit of abuse and I'm worried about how it will hold up long-term with anything other than the official dock. Third-party chargers are fine, but the Nyko situation is the best case scenario for third-party docks/breakouts. What happens if the cheap no-name breakout cable on Amazon frys your Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Artix posted:

Sun and Moon *were* the BotW treatment for Pokemon. They threw out a bunch of structural stuff like HMs and Gyms and completely started over with everything. I don't know what you want with "linear" though because every single Pokemon game has been linear as poo poo and the few tiny bits that aren't are almost always the worst parts of the game.

They're all linear, but I never felt constricted the way Sun and Moon made me feel. Getting rid of HMs and Gyms isn't the Breath of the Wild treatment. Letting me choose which gym I wanna tackle and when would be.

Also this:

Kaubocks posted:

- make the NPCs fuckin shut up, let me walk two feet without a cutscene, just let me explore for like a little bit drat man.

This so so bad in Sun and Moon. It was terrible in X/Y too, with the kids always following the main character. It never feels like you're the main character on an adventure. It feels like you're tagging along in their adventure and doing the heavy lifting. Also Hau has zero depth. He is happy 100% of the time and only talks about Masala. So boring.

I'm hoping that Pokemon can get reworked into something with a bit more minalism and an expanded post-game. I haven't beaten Ultra Sun yet. But boy do I miss the Battle Tower and Subway.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Want to see this with Joy-Cons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5m6dRBb4uA

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What are you trying to do exactly? Charge the Pro Controller while taking the Switch and dock somewhere else? Or are you leaving the dock and just taking the Switch and A/C adapter somewhere else?

Nyko makes a Portable Docking Kit that does what you want for $50, but it's not without issues. For one, it needs a firmware upgrade to resolve sleep issues on the latest Switch firmware. There's also been reports of the dock frying the USB port on Switches. It sounds like Nyko has been pretty good about handling the situation--if it does fry your Switch USB port they'll replace the Switch for you.

That said, I'm concerned about third-party docks/adapters now. The Switch's USB port takes quite a bit of abuse and I'm worried about how it will hold up long-term with anything other than the official dock. Third-party chargers are fine, but the Nyko situation is the best case scenario for third-party docks/breakouts. What happens if the cheap no-name breakout cable on Amazon frys your Switch?

Yeah the latter - be able to take the Switch out with minimum fuss. It's more likely to lose battery than the pro controller, so I'd like to keep it plugged in. Yeah, 3rd party stories aren't encouraging at all. It's a shame that the official dock is both 1. expensive and 2. the only accepted way to hook it up to the TV. I have enough room in my Switch case for a few cables but not much else and taking the dock with me is just an added hassle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're all linear, but I never felt constricted the way Sun and Moon made me feel. Getting rid of HMs and Gyms isn't the Breath of the Wild treatment. Letting me choose which gym I wanna tackle and when would be.

Also this:

This so so bad in Sun and Moon. It was terrible in X/Y too, with the kids always following the main character. It never feels like you're the main character on an adventure. It feels like you're tagging along in their adventure and doing the heavy lifting. Also Hau has zero depth. He is happy 100% of the time and only talks about Masala. So boring.

I'm hoping that Pokemon can get reworked into something with a bit more minalism and an expanded post-game. I haven't beaten Ultra Sun yet. But boy do I miss the Battle Tower and Subway.

Letting you choose what gym to tackle first is a terrible idea.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They'd just need to give the gym leaders different sets of mons depending on your level. This is a concept they already have in the anime. It would increase replayability even!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not every game would be better with a botw treatment and Pokemon is definitely one of them

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They'd just need to give the gym leaders different sets of mons depending on your level. This is a concept they already have in the anime. It would increase replayability even!

Yeah this is an absolutely terrible idea in a game built around pokemon style combat. It only 'works' in combat systems that rely on player input, not hard numbers.

and pre-emptive gently caress anyone who suggests making pokemon an ARPG.

And I feel like most of the issues with pokemon people are posting is because they're grown rear end adults now. Go back and play some of the older games sometimes, they're more restrictive and cutscene heavy than SuMo or X/Y lol.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

If Okami HD is coming out on all the other platforms why not Switch? Come on Capcom.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If Okami HD is coming out on all the other platforms why not Switch? Come on Capcom.

Clearly not enough people spent $60 on Street Fighter II: Now with 2 More Ryus Edition for them to justify putting more games on it.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
okami switch probably be 50 gigabytes from capcom. wasn't there already an okami hd five years ago? is there any difference? it feels like they're acting like this is okami hd 2 for some reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zore posted:

Yeah this is an absolutely terrible idea in a game Go back and play some of the older games sometimes, they're more restrictive and cutscene heavy than SuMo or X/Y lol.

Not true in the slightest. I just played through Blue on my Gameboy. And I've played through Emerald and then Alpha Sapphire last year. They're not nearly as obnoxious as the XY/S&M when it comes to cutscenes. In those, it feels like an escalation. But XY/S&M everything comes to a grinding halt.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
a spin-off Pokémon arpg actually sounds pretty sweet honestly. hell they made a tournament fighter work so why not.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 30, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not asking to make it an ARPG series either. Always hated that idea. I just want something that feels less insulting than the last couple generations. It feels like they took Fi out of Skyward Sword and put her in Pokemon.

Anyway, in actual Switch games discussion. Maybe I will trade in some stuff and pick up Xenoblade 2 tomorrow.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a Pro Controller coming today, and I'm taking my Switch away for the weekend tomorrow... if I use the controller's USB cable with an Anker charger into the dock, this should replicate the power cable it ships with so I can leave that in place, yeah?

I hope someone makes a breakout cable, or something similar, just so I can put everything I need Switch related into my little carry case and it be enough to use both portable and on a TV without having to take the dock.
I think the cables they ship controllers with is USB-C to A, which can’t carry enough power for the dock, for docked play purposes at least (albeit no clue about charging through it). The cable should work to charge the Switch in handheld, albeit not necessarily fast enough to outpace drain while playing, it’ll depend on the game.

For docked power there’s third party adapters...but I can’t say I trust them. I have this 45W Xiaomi one, in theory any USB compliant one will work (if it supports the 15V/3A profile*) but that seems to be the cheapest without getting into shady territory. And form factor wise it’s small, the plug is collapsible, and the cable (included!) is detachable. For now I just keep that and a small/thin HDMI cable in my backpack and unplug just the dock if I need to take it somewhere. Not ideal but it makes moving it around just a bit simpler at least.

In the future I’m tempted to get a CForce 002 or 003, but I’m paranoid about it killing the Switch/port or just being broken by a software update incompatibility in the future. I still might take the chance if it weren't for the price, like $60-80 iirc. At that point I almost might as well get another official dock and gut it to put it in one of those 3D printed portable dock cases.

*if you want battery powered dock mode there’s a few batteries that support it too, but it’s not super common.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

They didnt call them "Super Mari-Oh's" and that makes me think they need to fire whoever comes up with these ideas.

Actually gently caress that I just read the article where it says there are several different collectable boxes that all function as an amibo in Mario Odyssey, and I think they need to give whoever came up with that idea a loving raise for how much money they will make from this.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 30, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not true in the slightest. I just played through Blue on my Gameboy. And I've played through Emerald and then Alpha Sapphire last year. They're not nearly as obnoxious as the XY/S&M when it comes to cutscenes. In those, it feels like an escalation. But XY/S&M everything comes to a grinding halt.

Are you kidding? Alpha Sapphire was so bad about it.

I feel like there's a weird disconnect because goddamn do I hate how Alpha Sapphire handled just about everything.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Devoyniche posted:

They didnt call them "Super Mari-Oh's" and that makes me think they need to fire whoever comes up with these ideas.

Actually gently caress that I just read the article where it says there are several different collectable boxes that all function as an amibo in Mario Odyssey, and I think they need to give whoever came up with that idea a loving raise for how much money they will make from this.

"Billy, why is your video game man with the moustache named Mari?"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It’s because Capcom bet against the Switch while chasing the white whale of massive multimillion sellers in the western markets. Now we get to watch as they try to shove out old ports of games to the Switch that blast past expectations while game after game they’ve tailored for a more western appeal flop on their faces. I’m still bitter about Lost Planet. And Dead Rising. And Devil May Cry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I know it's been discussed before, but I've never needed one until now; what's the consensus best portable charger for the Nintendo Switch?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Furi on Switch early 2018

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/furi-coming-switch-early-2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The cable that comes with it

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

When my controller battery runs low I like to plug it in my anker thing and keep playing on the couch It makes me feel high tech

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm a huge dumbass and preordered (and preloaded) xenoblade 2. When does nintendo unlock their releases? During the day?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

nerdz posted:

I'm a huge dumbass and preordered (and preloaded) xenoblade 2. When does nintendo unlock their releases? During the day?

Midnight EST assuming you're in the US.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I could see Okami coming later. All of Capcom’s releases so far have done pretty well on Switch. I want Mega Man Legacy Collection 1&2 too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

the perfect platform for a perfect game :swoon:

Mister Facetious posted:

I know it's been discussed before, but I've never needed one until now; what's the consensus best portable charger for the Nintendo Switch?

charger like cord or charger like portable battery? if it's the latter, the one in the OP

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

japtor posted:

I think the cables they ship controllers with is USB-C to A, which can’t carry enough power for the dock, for docked play purposes at least (albeit no clue about charging through it). The cable should work to charge the Switch in handheld, albeit not necessarily fast enough to outpace drain while playing, it’ll depend on the game.

Ah fair, I didn't know it couldn't carry the power needed. Think I'll just take the whole kit in a bag this time then!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Xenoblade 2 looks really fun but I still need to play 1 and X. 3DS port for 1 looks like poo poo but portably is probably the only way I’ll get through 1 so I’ll get over it. I wish they’d just port 1 and X to Switch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Xenoblade 2 looks really fun but I still need to play 1 and X. 3DS port for 1 looks like poo poo but portably is probably the only way I’ll get through 1 so I’ll get over it. I wish they’d just port 1 and X to Switch.

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/936231114301087744

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh awesome, great news. I know a lot of people didn’t seem to like that one but it gives me major PSO vibes and I want to play it for that reason alone.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I liked this as a PS+ freebie but I'm not sure I'd pay to play it again. It's definitely a cool game though if you're into twin stick bullet hell stuff

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Screens of Xenoblade X are like nothing else

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SilverSupernova posted:

Clearly not enough people spent $60 on Street Fighter II: Now with 2 More Ryus Edition for them to justify putting more games on it.

Pretty sure they were quoted as saying that Ultra Street Fighter II sold surprisingly well and, like every other fighting game in existance, sold better than SFV did in its first week or month or whatever.

So naturally that's why you'll never see another timely capcom release again.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I'm lolling imagining the text from XCX on a low resolution switch sized screen

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I'm lolling imagining the text from XCX on a low resolution switch sized screen

Are you loving kidding me? If they can make Xeno 1 work on the 3DS, the Switch is cake.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They'd increase the size of course.

It seems they really learned, XC2 text is ginormous

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I've never played a game that disrespected my time as much as XCX, you will be better off dumping those hours of your life into literally anything else.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

GreenNight posted:

Are you loving kidding me? If they can make Xeno 1 work on the 3DS, the Switch is cake.

They didn't make it work, it looks fuckin terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tatsuta Age posted:

They didn't make it work, it looks fuckin terrible

poo poo yeah it did. I purchased it, and then had to emulate it to play it properly. The 3DS ver sucked bad. Just saying, they'll do it regardless.

• Locked thread