Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This is a lot of words to say “ They don’t want to be taxed and Corbyn would tax them”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/936261666341351426

nopantsjack posted:

There is also the fact that the westminster lot are increasingly isolated from society, with parliament essentially taking over a part of London so they can eat, drink and sleep in between parliamentary sessions without ever meeting a non-politician or journalist.

Parliament has always been this way.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Just got a call to apply for a new job which isn't posted publicly; someone I know quite well is moving to another position and he rang me to see if I wanted to apply.

It'd be a ridiculous upgrade in terms of title, money and responsibility and I really don't know if I want to take it. Any UKMT goons have experience of sudden and quite big elevations from one job to another, especially when it comes to needing to manage a relatively big team - my experience so far is mainly of telling interns to be quiet.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 30, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its been that way for a while but I think the expanding westminster bubble is relatively new afaik, according to some half remembered book I read years ago

e: hahahahaa they loving airbrushed JC

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Junior G-man posted:

Just got a call to apply for a new job which isn't posted online. It'd be a ridiculous upgrade in terms of title, money and responsibility and I really don't know if I want to take it. Any UKMT goons have experience of sudden and quite big elevations from one job to another, especially when it comes to needing to manage a relatively big team?

is it at a level where if you totally gently caress up, you fail upwards?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Junior G-man posted:

Just got a call to apply for a new job which isn't posted online. It'd be a ridiculous upgrade in terms of title, money and responsibility and I really don't know if I want to take it. Any UKMT goons have experience of sudden and quite big elevations from one job to another, especially when it comes to needing to manage a relatively big team?

I can talk a bit about managing a big team(ish) but the best advice I can give when you start in any situation is "don't have big ideas for the first few weeks, lay the groundwork of competence and make sure that people know you aren't going to piss on their chips if you do well". People respect competence.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Junior G-man posted:

jfc just take the money, man. If it sucks, just remember that you don't have to kill yourself due to work-stress, you just get a different job

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

blowfish posted:

is it at a level where if you totally gently caress up, you fail upwards?

I already think that this move is failing upwards, so probably?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

jfc just take the money, man. If it sucks, just remember that you don't have to kill yourself due to work-stress, you just get a different job

It's definitely high stress and public with lots of travel and managing up as well as down.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Apparently the SDL were beaten up in Glasgow last weekend?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Samovar posted:

Apparently the SDL were beaten up in Glasgow last weekend?

excellent

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I thought they wanted to stay in the single market? Were the DUP always hard brexit?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That.... really doesn't look like Jeremy Corbyn.

It looks like his stunt double.

nopantsjack posted:

e: hahahahaa they loving airbrushed JC

Is that it? It's loving eerie he's normally a craggy old gently caress and he looks like someone soaked him in a bucket of lanolin and ran the iron over his face afterwards.

And then put lipstick on the result.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

That.... really doesn't look like Jeremy Corbyn.

It looks like his stunt double.

You mean his dictator-esque body double. :tinfoil:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You mean his dictator-esque body double. :tinfoil:

I don't think that would fool even a very near sighted spy tbh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought they wanted to stay in the single market? Were the DUP always hard brexit?

The solution to the border issue is shaping up to be "one country should change their whole customs arrangement to match the other" which obviously creates a divide between that country and the rest of its union

The DUP are obviously wise to the fact that NI could be sacrificed to make Glorious Brexit happen - or at least, they're throwing a spotlight on the issue and making noise about it because it benefits them

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thought it was Chris Eccleston for a few minutes there. Weird pic

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tessiebee posted:

Thought it was Chris Eccleston for a few minutes there. Weird pic

Yeah it's reminding me of someone too, one of those people with a boney face but unsettlingly smooth features.

Like conan o brian or as you say, eccleston.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Someone talk me out of watching Question Time tonight. My morbid curiousity is getting the better of me, I want to see red-faced thumb people bellowing about the divorce bill and I know that's wrong of me. It's even in Scarborough for god's sake!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Johnson, Gove, David Davis and May.

The loving EU wants all of our money.

They can get hosed, it's mine anyway.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Corbyn would make a very good Dr. Who

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Actually, 'Dr. Who' is the name of the show, the name of the character is 'Jam Grandad'.
:goonsay:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The DUP would rather have identical customs and regulatory procedures as the rest of the UK than a border in the Irish sea and any barriers between trade with the mainland - if they are presented with a choice of either regulatory barriers between the EU or rUK they will pick the UK on principle.

Its worth pointing out this isn't necessarily an "extreme" position and is identical to the "moderate" UUP position who have also rejected any kind of Irish sea border, and they had a similar free line when it came to Brexit in the same vein as the Tories as opposed to the DUPs strong pro-Brexit position.

Sounds increasingly like the government may move to square the circle by committing to devolve the powers necessary to maintain "regulatory convergence" between NI and the EU to the (nonexistent) NI executive - tactfully punting the issue away from them

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Brexit just never stops delivering :allears:

I'm still waiting 'til after the season finale to set my stars-out-of-five but the setup for next season is just amazing. Not sure where Davis' character arc will take him though, it might be better to just ditch him while he still has -- only just -- enough relevance to make something of his exit.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pencils R Cool posted:

Someone talk me out of watching Question Time tonight. My morbid curiousity is getting the better of me, I want to see red-faced thumb people bellowing about the divorce bill and I know that's wrong of me. It's even in Scarborough for god's sake!

just make sure you stock up on your poison of choice, I tried to watch QT sober once and I still get PTSD

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

kustomkarkommando posted:

Sounds increasingly like the government may move to square the circle by committing to devolve the powers necessary to maintain "regulatory convergence" between NI and the EU to the (nonexistent) NI executive - tactfully punting the issue away from them

lol

I'm not convinced you have any idea what you're talking about.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

lol

Frankly I have no idea what the proposed powers are but that's what the Times splash that's been circulating has rumoured, increasing focus seems to be on eliminating mandatory sps checks at the border through a regulatory equivalence agreement with the UK refusing to be drawn on a national agreement but shunting more powers to Stormont to facilitate a regional one.

"Regulator divergence" has been the buzzword in everything the EU has put out

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pencils R Cool posted:

You'll watch it and want to go on a murder spree afterwards. Or to be more exact, about 15 minutes into the broadcast.

Don't do it, your neighbours probably don't deserve it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Frankly I have no idea what the proposed powers are but that's what the Times splash that's been circulating has rumoured, increasing focus seems to be on eliminating mandatory sps checks at the border through a regulatory equivalence agreement with the UK refusing to be drawn on a national agreement but shunting more powers to Stormont to facilitate a regional one.

It's the stupidest imaginable "solution", which does make it somewhat credible

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

lol

Why not? It doesn't look like there's any actual good way of solving this issue in time, devolving it lets the Tories wash their hands of it and act like it's a gesture of democracy and respect for NI. While letting people blame them for what happens, like they're doing with Ireland right now

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Which is bollocks as its illegal per WTO rules. There has to be a border between states that do not share a customs system. If the UK isn't part of the Customs Union and their isn't a hard border between the UK and Ireland every country on the planet will sue the UK and demand compensation for breaking WTO rules.

Either the UK stays in the Customs Union or is has a Hard Border between Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

so they're going to tell Stormont that NI, having voted to remain in the EU, will follow EU regulations but have no benefits of being in the EU? With the CTA remaining intact under this premise?

And this is presented as devolution? that's some good lawyering, but it is still very stupid

ukle posted:

Which is bollocks as its illegal per WTO rules. There has to be a border between states that do not share a customs system. If the UK isn't part of the Customs Union and their isn't a hard border between the UK and Ireland every country on the planet will sue the UK and demand compensation for breaking WTO rules.

this will be spun for nationalist rhetoric when it happens but I doubt any of the brexit team give a flying gently caress about it right now

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The DUP are like the perfect incarnation of Brexit because what they want is to categorically leave the EU while also categorically wanting a trade, customs and subsidy situation that is only possible by being in the EU. And its everybody elses problem to figure out how that works. Unless RoI leaves the EU and accept status as subjects of Her Glorious Maj which I guess is probably their secret, real solution to the poo poo circle they want squared.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
From the EU's perspective, telling the UK it will follow all of its regulations indefinitely while also being able to sue it under WTO rules sounds very much like something that isn't the commissions problem, and also hilarious

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

lol

It seems quite plausable that the government would attempt to just divest themselves of needing to actually resolve this issue, they don't give a gently caress about anything other than having some degree of deniability for when Brexit inevitably destroys the economy.

ukle posted:

The UK either stays in the Customs Union, has a Hard Border between Northern Ireland and Ireland.

The fact that it obviously won't work and breaks international law isn't sufficient to stop the Tories from doing it anyway, it would probably play very well with their core. "everyone is being so mean to us why can't they just get on with things" has been the rallying cry of the moronic brexiteer so far and I don't see why they would change their tune because it's the WTO 'causing problems' (i.e. wanting us to follow international law) rather than the EU.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
shock, horror today as Britain expects all the hard work to be done by Irish people

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I love this front page so much :allears:

It's even better than the day after polling day's headlines, which are also very loving good.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

How Meghan Markle might bring the royals closer to Christ the King

The Guardian's pet reverend shouldn't be let near an op-ed page.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Pencils R Cool posted:

Dont do it, the whole of star trek discovery, only fools and horses, and red dwarf is on netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I always enjoy the scare quotes around "unelected" in "unelected Lords". Like this factual description is some kind of shocking, damning revelation.

• Locked thread