Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Well poo poo. Just downloaded the wireless update for my Blu Life One X2, and now that it's rebooted, it won't accept my PIN. I am 100% positive I am using the correct PIN, and other people are having this problem. Is there any way around this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/IntoBlu/comments/7g76ku/after_recent_update_to_blu_life_one_x2_it_wont/

My oneplus 3 supports only some security patterns. So every time android upgrade comes, I have to switch my pattern to a simple line. Otherwise I can't boot up my phone during the upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Which is a win, I think?

Essentially

Ihmemies posted:

My oneplus 3 supports only some security patterns. So every time android upgrade comes, I have to switch my pattern to a simple line. Otherwise I can't boot up my phone during the upgrade.

Never settle

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ihmemies posted:

lol what the gently caress

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: sold

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 30, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

lol what the gently caress

I guess their custom swiping pattern app can't recognize crossing lines.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How many levels of Shenzhen special are you

idk like five

lol you are like a baby watch this

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/11/blu-trying-to-address-the-android-update-that-locks-its-phones.html

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rastor posted:

I think you should go into more detail about what you consider "smaller", today's smaller phones would have been considered outrageously huge a few years ago.
Also what is your budget?

By "smaller" I mean ideally not much bigger than the Nexus 5x.

Budget: I'd like to keep it around $400 if possible

So far suggestions are:
Essential phone - I can't find the $399 deal that was mentioned :( it might be over
Original Pixel - can find on ebay for $400
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact - retails for $500ish

Really bummed that my phone decided to break not only right before a trip, but also after cyber monday :mad:

e: all of the suggestions so far are indeed equal or smaller than the Nexus 5x, thanks :)

Kinda leaning towards the Pixel, but I really like the fact that the Xperia is even smaller...

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 29, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There are a few non-xl pixels on swappa atm in good condition for around 350-360, and if you are spending pixel money you should get a pixel

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Blue Train posted:

There are a few non-xl pixels on swappa atm in good condition for around 350-360, and if you are spending pixel money you should get a pixel

Ooh, thanks for telling me about Swappa, did not know about it! Are the listed conditions generally pretty reliable?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

alnilam posted:

Ooh, thanks for telling me about Swappa, did not know about it! Are the listed conditions generally pretty reliable?

I've only bought one phone there and it matched the description; the listings require picture afaik and you can pay using PayPal and get their buyer protection

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I can vouch for Swappa, been using them for almost 5 years now. I've never had issues buying or selling phones from there and will usually recommend people look there first unless they want like Prime next day shipping or something.

Usually Swappa is better for buyers than sellers as it's one of the cheaper places, Amazon or Ebay being the highest in my experience.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I bought this pixel I'm posting on from Swappa. A+

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sprint said the Essential Phone in White would ship in December (like the 18th or something.) Instead it shipped same day and arrived overnight.

Phone looks pretty darn good in White, and the build quality looks to have been polished a bit since the early original one I got.

Now to Activate so I can get the 360 cam for free, then switch right back to my Pixel 2XL and keep this as my 360cam mount.

Also remember the Essential is another of those 18:9 screens so 5.7" is diagonal and being edge to edge with only a little bottom bezel, makes the phone similar in size to a iPhone 5. Much smaller than a 6P or 5X or Pixel.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sprint said the Essential Phone in White would ship in December (like the 18th or something.) Instead it shipped same day and arrived overnight.
When did you order?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Blue Train posted:

I've got a non-XL Pixel in good shape in SA-Mart asking $290.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842130

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Ok, this is the second time this has happened now. I got a text that was at least ostensibly from Verizon. I was curious about the contents, so I contacted them. They said they hadn't sent me any communication, and when I go back to my texts, that text is gone. What the heck is happening?

I just had this happen again, and this time I looked at the timestamp on the text. August 31st. Why the hell is Messenger notifying me of a text from almost three months ago??

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

:ohdear:

edit: BTW, any recommendations for a good screen protector?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google finally received my trade-in Pixel almost four weeks after I mailed it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Google finally received my trade-in Pixel almost four weeks after I mailed it.

There is hope. I've got a $350 credit on my card after shipping mine about a month ago as well. The condition inspection took 4-5 days, but it was happening around Thanksgiving. Got the confirmation email about the credit, with the credit appearing a day or two later.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Did anyone enroll their Pixel 2 XL in the Oreo beta program? I'm getting antsy and want to try 8.1, unsure if there's any major dealbreakers.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
In theory dp2 should have it fixed, but dp1 broke all vpn use. That was fun to identify and troubleshoot.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did anyone enroll their Pixel 2 XL in the Oreo beta program? I'm getting antsy and want to try 8.1, unsure if there's any major dealbreakers.

Works fine for me.

Yes I have a 2 xl now. Bad impluse control.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

nimper posted:

When did you order?

Monday 11/27
Got it Yesterday. 11/28

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EdEddnEddy posted:

Monday 11/27
Got it Yesterday. 11/28

Dang. I ordered a black one on Friday and it still hasn't shipped.

Sorry about all the shipping chat :tipshat:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Works fine for me.

Yes I have a 2 xl now. Bad impluse control.

Hell yeah you do.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Essential was fun while it lasted, I guess:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/16714264/andy-rubin-leaves-essential-google-inappropriate-conduct

It's actually not as bad as it sounds, potentially; it appears to be the traditional corporate definition of "inappropriate relationship" and not like, sexual assault or pedophilia. Which is a win, I think?

I highly doubt it isn't as bad as it sounds seeing as she filed the complaint.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Got my Pixel 2 and boy is it nice to finally have an Android experience that feels as smooth as an iPhone. I've been a Moto Boy since the first Verizon Droid but the user experience on the Pixel 2, oh man. Everything is just so responsive.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I was really tempted to buy a moment case+lens during their sale but remember that I almost never take pictures

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

horchata posted:

I was really tempted to buy a moment case+lens during their sale but remember that I almost never take pictures

I want one real bad.

so I'm pissed that the bank Google uses for financing places an arbitrary 5 day hold on money for cancelled orders so can't get in on that $100 Google store credit deal when that was the only reason I cancelled my order in the first place. I'd already have it by now :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Ended up with the Spigen Rugged Armor for my Pixel XL, very happy with this case. Doesn't add a lot of bulk and feels fine in terms of grip. Continue to be very impressed with the camera, I am actually taking more photos with my phone now. Battery life is also fantastic. I guess I had just gotten used to how lovely my Nexus 5x was in this regard but I can really notice the difference now.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Is anyone here using a Bluetooth tag or something else as a trusted device? I don't wanna have to unlock my phone (Pixel 2) in the office anytime I'm checking notifications (laying on the table so the one position the fingerprint reader on the back isn't helpful) but I'm leaving the phone at my desk quite often and would then like for it to be locked. No smart watch at the moment, so that's off the table for a while.

I found the Tile Mate but was wondering if anyone here knows a cheaper / more reliable / smaller / just all around better device or if that's what I should buy.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I use my Bluetooth headphones, which live around my neck.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

AlexF posted:

Is anyone here using a Bluetooth tag or something else as a trusted device? I don't wanna have to unlock my phone (Pixel 2) in the office anytime I'm checking notifications (laying on the table so the one position the fingerprint reader on the back isn't helpful) but I'm leaving the phone at my desk quite often and would then like for it to be locked. No smart watch at the moment, so that's off the table for a while.

I found the Tile Mate but was wondering if anyone here knows a cheaper / more reliable / smaller / just all around better device or if that's what I should buy.

I use a mi band 2 which is a not quite smartwatch, you can get one for 25 bucks and it will let you know when there are notifications, do step counting and sleep tracking etc. If you don't want to spend smartwatch money it will do what you want plus more https://www.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_362705.html

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Blue Train posted:

I use a mi band 2 which is a not quite smartwatch, you can get one for 25 bucks and it will let you know when there are notifications, do step counting and sleep tracking etc. If you don't want to spend smartwatch money it will do what you want plus more https://www.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_362705.html

I have one of those, to use as a fitness tracker. Ultimately stopped wearing it, because it would not be able to read my heart rate unless I had it uncomfortably on the inside of my wrist.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea the heart rate sensor is not good

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CaptainJuan posted:

I use my Bluetooth headphones, which live around my neck.

Same. :hfive:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I got a Fossil Marshall Q in the brushed metal last year for Christmas, works great as a Trusted Device and looks good too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hell yeah you do.

At least I have the fat bill$$$ to support my dumb decisions.

as long as housing in Vancouver never stops increasing in value by 50+% every year

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
A big german retailer is running a promo where the price of the new Pixels is reduced by 200 Euros each, sucks for those who pre-ordered (me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Every electronic thing ever.txt