Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the correct answer here is to not go into gw stores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

GW's store placement is its own issue but not allowing a competitor's product into your store is a pretty uncontroversial move. You wouldn't go into a small restaurant and talk loudly about how much better the place next door is, or sit down and eat a McDonald's hamburger.

Also the Pepsi/Coke stuff is incredibly crazy. Corporate Coke people aren't even supposed to eat at Yum brand restaurants afaik.

Not bringing product in is one thing, I was referring specifically to "Also try not to reference competitors out loud.", thinking that that meant you shouldn't talk about FFG games or Warmachine or whatever while you're playing 40K with someone in a GW store.

Strobe posted:

I dunno I'd be pretty annoyed with someone at a restaurant telling all my customers how great the competing restaurant across the street is.

That's a straw man. I'm not advocating for telling all the GW customers to buy Warmachine instead. "Also try not to reference competitors out loud." seems to imply you can't even talk about other minis and such in the store.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

from my experience the people working the store just try to quickly change the topic when a competitor is discussed and that's about it

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
These are all terrible answers. The correct behaviour when going into a GW store is to stare at boxes from armies you’ve yet to start collecting, go “Hmmm tempting”, waver, think about the backlog, the potential for raised spousal eyebrows, if the box is small enough to sneak home.

And then you put it back and buy some more Orks, because if 60 Boyz is good, imagine what 90 will be like.

It’s like some of you don’t even have a plastic crack addiction.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Milotic posted:

These are all terrible answers. The correct behaviour when going into a GW store is to stare at boxes from armies you’ve yet to start collecting, go “Hmmm tempting”, waver, think about the backlog, the potential for raised spousal eyebrows, if the box is small enough to sneak home.

And then you put it back and buy some more Orks, because if 60 Boyz is good, imagine what 90 will be like.

It’s like some of you don’t even have a plastic crack addiction.

Don't forget the old routine of going in for one pot of paint and coming out with at least triple that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I actually went into the GW that I used to go to several years ago. The location changed, it has maybe 2 tables for playing and 1 for painting, down from 6 and a long workbench. There weren't any kids playing like there used to be, and this was a typical weekend.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the correct answer here is to not go into gw stores
:eyepop:

mango sentinel posted:

You wouldn't go into a small restaurant and talk loudly about how much better the place next door is, or sit down and eat a McDonald's hamburger.
Yes, it would be rude to do something like that at your LGS. However, GW is not a small business.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes, it would be rude to do something like that at your LGS. However, GW is not a small business.

Exactly, GW is mcdonald's in this situation

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

just don't be rude and consider buying something if you're going to use the space a lot. Unless your GW's manager is weird I doubt discussion of local area shops is completely verboten, just don't walk in telling everyone how much GW sucks

My local GW is smaller than the LGSes around (1 painting table, 4-6 playing tables depending on setup) but the manager is easily way more helpful and nice than the local shops' employees.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Give me strength, I keep eyeing up the forgeworld chaos dwarfs, hey an exactly 1000 point army is pretty much bang on the free shipping threshold!

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

AnEdgelord posted:

Exactly, GW is mcdonald's in this situation

Well not really, the proper reference in this case would be don't eat a burger king burger in a McDonalds (Which the signs ask you not to do).

Most of this poo poo is stuff they have to agree to do to get a job, not like these guys making minimum wage at GW stores are awful people for asking you to not use Proxies in the game that aren't GW models.

And I've totally seen people paint at a GW with Valleyo paints painting at a table and they didn't ask them to not.

I don't go into GW stores because they keep trying to sell me space marines, but again that is their job lol.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok I keep trying (and failing) to get started with this. I have a bunch of Khorne Daemons on round bases, and a pile of the Bloodborne Bloodbros from the boxed set. Do I need the Blades of Khorne book to use them? Or the reference cards? Or neither? And I have this year's General's Handbook but not the 2016 one. I also downloaded the Chaos Daemons PDF. There's a lot going on and it's confusing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

Ok I keep trying (and failing) to get started with this. I have a bunch of Khorne Daemons on round bases, and a pile of the Bloodborne Bloodbros from the boxed set. Do I need the Blades of Khorne book to use them? Or the reference cards? Or neither? And I have this year's General's Handbook but not the 2016 one. I also downloaded the Chaos Daemons PDF. There's a lot going on and it's confusing.

Strictly speaking, all you need to play is the 4-page main rules and the datacards found on each unit's page on GW's site.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm mostly interested since there have (apparently) been substantial improvements since that 4 page book.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

moths posted:

The Blades of Khorne book would be perfect for you.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

moths posted:

I'm mostly interested since there have (apparently) been substantial improvements since that 4 page book.

The 4 pages of rules haven't changed. The GHB will give you points, matches play rules, missions and allegiance abilities/artifacts. The Khorne Battletome will give you some army-specific abilities and artifacts.

The 4 page book and your warscrolls are all you need to mechanically play a game of AoS, the rest is just more structure and army depth.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok, cool thanks guys. I'll look for the Khorne book!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is the 2016 GHB null and void at this time? Or is everything other than points values still valid?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is the 2016 GHB null and void at this time? Or is everything other than points values still valid?

The stuff in the Open Play and Narrative sections is still fine, and the Matched Play battleplans are still usable, but the Matched Play rules, points and allegiances are obsolete and replaced by the GHB 2017 and any tournaments will use the new battleplans.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism

Solemn Sloth posted:

Give me strength, I keep eyeing up the forgeworld chaos dwarfs, hey an exactly 1000 point army is pretty much bang on the free shipping threshold!

Do it. I bought a tonne of trolls of Forgeworld and have zero regrets.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
lol@ goons acting like your local GW is some heinous shrine to evil

your average GW is a small store run by a single dude who likes the hobby just like you and just wants to enjoy his day at work

your non-average GW is a small store run by a grognard rear end in a top hat who you probably dont want to be around anyway

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

a cock shaped fruit posted:

your non-average GW is a small store run by a grognard rear end in a top hat who you probably dont want to be around anyway

True, but I get discounts and freebies from him so what you gonna do?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Atlas Hugged posted:

True, but I get discounts and freebies from him so what you gonna do?

be around him long enough to get the goods and get out

alternatively, you too are part grog

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Have you seen my post history?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

be around him long enough to get the goods and get out

Well, I do play historicals and I have Opinions, so I am a grog.

Joke's on you, my country is too small for GW stores!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

your average GW is a small store run by a single dude who likes the hobby just like you and just wants to enjoy his day at work

This is pretty much my situation, there's only one GW I actively avoid going to in this area but luckily it's the furthest away.

Meanwhile, the only LGS that's still open any more that carries Hams is ran by a clueless grog out of a dusty, drafty old warehouse infested with the worst neckbeards in the local scene.

I'd love for a more vibrant indie store scene, but until then I don't mind my GWs.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It could be for all I know. I've not seen it open when going past for years. I know it isn't shut down because I know people that go there, but I still haven't ever seen the shutters up since they changed their opening times.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I played AoS for the first time on Friday with friends. Dispossessed vs Beastclaw Raiders, Disciples of Tzeentch and Skellies. It was really good fun. Descended into a brawl between Death and Tzeentch when my supposed team mate went “Can I attack you then”

Thoughts:
Holy crap, the Mortarch that comes with the Skellies Start Collecting box is brutal. It was like getting Tesla’d to buggery in the hero phase, and then in CC he was also brutal.
The Beastclaw Raider leader model is gorgeous
Tzeentch Destiny dice are good fun - you can use the 4s you get on the Chaos Spawn to roll doubles, and then that gives you +1 to hit and wound.
I was running a very unoptimised list - an Arcanite Hero would have given +1 to wound for some of my army which would have been huge.
Don’t get Screamers stuck into infantry - it’s a waste - move them over the unit to do some mortal wounds but use them against monsters for the D3 damage.
I need to look at some of the formations - they have some nice stuff.
Heralds on foot are a little fragile, I was lucky I didn’t get targeted. All the buffs he put out would have gone - need to get some redundancy in my army
Tzaangors continue to impress in both this and 40K. If you want something done, send in the beakies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Milotic posted:

I played AoS for the first time on Friday with friends. Dispossessed vs Beastclaw Raiders, Disciples of Tzeentch and Skellies. It was really good fun. Descended into a brawl between Death and Tzeentch when my supposed team mate went “Can I attack you then”

Thoughts:
Holy crap, the Mortarch that comes with the Skellies Start Collecting box is brutal. It was like getting Tesla’d to buggery in the hero phase, and then in CC he was also brutal.

There is also no reason to ever buy a Mortarch on their own when you can get ether the battleforce box or the start collecting box. As the Mortarch more or less costs the the entire price (Or half the price in the upcoming battleforce box.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is also no reason to ever buy a Mortarch on their own when you can get ether the battleforce box or the start collecting box. As the Mortarch more or less costs the the entire price (Or half the price in the upcoming battleforce box.

There's a few boxes like this. The Ironjawz SC (Everything but the Gore Gruntaz are free) and the Seraphon SC (everything but the Carnosaur)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ended up getting a pretty good haul of Khorne Blood Bound. I've never played them, and I'm not sure what's good, but they look awesome as hell and I've always wanted a Khorne army.

Here's what I got:

Bloodthirster (with giant 2 handed axe)
3 Bloodsecrators
1 Mighty Lord of Khorne
1 Slaughter Priest
6 Khorgorath
1 Skarr Bloodwrath
1 Aspiring Deathbringer (Goreaxe & Skullhammer)
3 Mighty Skullcrushers
5 Wrathmongers (that aren't built. I could build them as the other option - skull takers?)
10 Blood Warriors
20 Blood Reavers

And of course, I have Garrek Gorebeards Warband from Underworlds.

What Can I do with this list? Any tips for tactics?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Zuul the Cat posted:

I ended up getting a pretty good haul of Khorne Blood Bound. I've never played them, and I'm not sure what's good, but they look awesome as hell and I've always wanted a Khorne army.

Here's what I got:

3 Bloodsecrators
1 Mighty Lord of Khorne
1 Slaughter Priest
6 Khorgorath
1 Skarr Bloodwrath
3 Mighty Skullcrushers
5 Wrathmongers (that aren't built. I could build them as the other option - skull takers?)
10 Blood Warriors
20 Blood Reavers

Wip

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally played this a few weeks ago. 4-player game using an acquaintance's models and list. I had a 60-gob night goblin mob, netters and fanatics and all, good stuff. a netter managed to take the last wound off a bloodthirster. shame about the terrible, paper-thin setting.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Here's what I got:

3 Bloodsecrators
1 Mighty Lord of Khorne
1 Slaughter Priest
6 Khorgorath
1 Skarr Bloodwrath
3 Mighty Skullcrushers
10 Blood Warriors
20 Blood Reavers

Well, you RIP AND TEAR of course.

KBB is a very buff-focused army, all about using those heroes to make your battlelines unstoppable range monsters. 3 Bloodsecrators will go a long, long way.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've recently started playing Bloodbound and they are a lot of fun. However I came up against a Tzeenetch army last week dull of ranged attacks and ofc lots of mortal wound dealing spells. It was a catastrophe and I felt I had literally no answers. By the time I closed he tar pitted me with pink/blue/brimstone horrors, while shooting and spelling me to death. It was my first totally unfun AoS game. Most upsetting was losing Skaarac turn one without him even moving.

Not sure how to counter other than add a hit more speed to the force maybe with Skullcrushers. I was also debating running the Gore Pilgrims battalion for the increased totem ranges and rerolls for the priests but it seems expensive at 180 points.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Serotonin posted:

I've recently started playing Bloodbound and they are a lot of fun. However I came up against a Tzeenetch army last week dull of ranged attacks and ofc lots of mortal wound dealing spells. It was a catastrophe and I felt I had literally no answers. By the time I closed he tar pitted me with pink/blue/brimstone horrors, while shooting and spelling me to death. It was my first totally unfun AoS game. Most upsetting was losing Skaarac turn one without him even moving.

Not sure how to counter other than add a hit more speed to the force maybe with Skullcrushers. I was also debating running the Gore Pilgrims battalion for the increased totem ranges and rerolls for the priests but it seems expensive at 180 points.

Skyfires are pretty fragile if you can catch them and get the first attack in combat. I don't know what kind of ranged capabilities KBB has but I'm guessing "not much", so you may want to use the battalion for the better chance of going first if you can get your boys fast enough to cross the table in a turn.

alternatively put the biggest LOS blocking terrain piece you got in the middle of the board

Tzeentch can be a really crap army to play against in casual games if they aren't taking it easy in list building

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just got the Bloodbound book, it really reminds me of the 7e 40k Daemonkin in a lot of good ways.

Weren't there a bunch of fixes to the core game, like ditching the every turn go-first roll and stuff? I have the 2017 general companion but not the other one.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

moths posted:

I just got the Bloodbound book, it really reminds me of the 7e 40k Daemonkin in a lot of good ways.

Weren't there a bunch of fixes to the core game, like ditching the every turn go-first roll and stuff? I have the 2017 general companion but not the other one.

nope, the 6 page core rules haven't changed. Still got the turn roll-offs. Its accessible at in the AoS app if you got that, for some reason they didn't print it in this year's GHB.

I think the core is pretty solid still. Random turn order and no shooting restrictions are hard to get used to, but you just account for them the same as any other rules (and I think the potential double turn makes the first turn weaker than it is in other games like 40k, which is good). There are rumors that a rules update is coming next year though, and I would welcome some kind of Hero shooting-at restriction similar to 40k 8th edition.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how are the skypirate dwarfs? i bought two boxes of something of theirs because they looked cool, but if age of Sigmar has become fun and they’re not awful i might as well also play the game

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Pretty solid. They play lot like the T'au in 40k, very shooty, very fast in their transports. Not as crunchy in melee as other Dwarves, but some of their units (anything with an Aethersaw) can mix it up rather well. They've also got some neat army rules with their Kharadron Codes, multiple artefact lists and the different canon Skyports all giving bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alright, so I got all my Khorne stuff. Looks like I’m sitting at just over 2,000 points. I think if I expand these dudes at all it’ll be to get more blood warriors.

also, am I reading the Khorgaroth rules right - their ability to lower leadership stacks? So I should definitely run 3 units of 2?

• Locked thread