Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Interesting note on the Oathgate:

The spren that operate it are described as ebony and white/light. Or a giant inkspren and lightspren, which are the spren of Elsecallers and Willshapers--which have the Transportation surge. There's probably a pair of largish gems in the heart of every Oathgate that makes them function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheMirage posted:

Question about Oathgates.

The two spren that control the gates in shadesmar tell Shallan to fuckoff when she tries to use the gates on that side. They say that humans are banned. However, obviously they've been using the oathgates the whole time. I take it that when the Radiants use their shardblades to activate the gates that their Spren are actual activating the gates in shadesmar so the gate spren don't realize that humans are using them?

Probably an obvious answer, but just curious as to whether people have that same assumption.

I think that one was still locked

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tunicate posted:

I think that one was still locked

That was the Thaylen City one, so it was unlocked and regularly used.

Apparently they have a Shadesmar setting, and that functionality was locked by Honor before his existential failure. The physical realm function was manually locked by the Radiants when they abandoned Urithiru and went to break their oaths and drop their shards.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i just started reading oathbringer and got to shallans first chapter and she cant even go 3 pages without starting up w/ her horse poo poo

"Brightness?" the woman asked as they walked. "Can I ask you a question?"
"As that was a question, apparently you can."
"Oh, um. Huh."
"It's fine. What do you want to know?"
"You're... a Radiant."
"That one was actually a statement, and that's making me doubt my previous assertion."

uuugh shut the gently caress up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is a neat exchange what's your problem.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Law Cheetah posted:

i just started reading oathbringer and got to shallans first chapter and she cant even go 3 pages without starting up w/ her horse poo poo

"Brightness?" the woman asked as they walked. "Can I ask you a question?"
"As that was a question, apparently you can."
"Oh, um. Huh."
"It's fine. What do you want to know?"
"You're... a Radiant."
"That one was actually a statement, and that's making me doubt my previous assertion."

uuugh shut the gently caress up

you might like one of her other personalities though

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

See, that's what happens when you go for a low-rent Jasnah.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah but Jasnah is the best character in the series. Everyone's low-rent compared to her.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Hopefully Shallan is better next book, like Kaladin was in this one. Hell, we have plenty of potential depression to look forward to with Teft's self-loathing and Rock having broken his oath(?) of not taking up arms in order to save Kaladin, even if what he killed wasn't very human at that point. :smith:

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Some of them (Ones Above referenced in Sixth of the Dust) also get around in the physical realm on spaceships, but that's set pretty far ahead in the Cosmere timeline compared to the other books.

In that case the Ones Above are (not confirmed?) people from Scadrial. The 3rd (now 4th?) Mistborn series that Sanderson planned is a futuristic one where those people have developed FTL technology, which I believe is based on their allomancy so it's not likely to be something used by many other worlds even by that point. Not to mention, in the couple centuries since the Lord Ruler was defeated Scadrial has had significant and rapid development of technology. And not all regions devleoped the same way as we see in Bands of Mourning, so there will likely be even more rapid advancements now that the people of Elendel have made a new friend trading partner.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hopefully Shallan is better next book, like Kaladin was in this one. Hell, we have plenty of potential depression to look forward to with Teft's self-loathing and Rock having broken his oath(?) of not taking up arms in order to save Kaladin, even if what he killed wasn't very human at that point. :smith:

In that case the Ones Above are (not confirmed?) people from Scadrial. The 3rd (now 4th?) Mistborn series that Sanderson planned is a futuristic one where those people have developed FTL technology, which I believe is based on their allomancy so it's not likely to be something used by many other worlds even by that point. Not to mention, in the couple centuries since the Lord Ruler was defeated Scadrial has had significant and rapid development of technology. And not all regions devleoped the same way as we see in Bands of Mourning, so there will likely be even more rapid advancements now that the people of Elendel have made a new friend trading partner.

Yeah it's gotta be Scadrial as the other planets are all rooted in Medieval Age technology while on Scadrial they're rolling around with trains and guns and a plane.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hopefully Shallan is better next book, like Kaladin was in this one. Hell, we have plenty of potential depression to look forward to with Teft's self-loathing and Rock having broken his oath(?) of not taking up arms in order to save Kaladin, even if what he killed wasn't very human at that point.

I can't imagine she won't be since didn't she decide to integrate her personalities and just be Shallon at the end?

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah but Jasnah is the best character in the series. Everyone's low-rent compared to her.

You mean after Lopen, right?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

I can't imagine she won't be since didn't she decide to integrate her personalities and just be Shallon at the end?

Nah she decided 3 was the limit and so it's gonna be her, Brightness Radiant, and Veil.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Nah she decided 3 was the limit and so it's gonna be her, Brightness Radiant, and Veil.

Ugh. I take back what I said since I obviously misremembered.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Proteus Jones posted:

You mean after Lopen, right?

The Lopen transcends labels. The Lopen isn't best. The Lopen simply is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This isn't the final stopping point for that arc, so we'll see how she develops

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Daric posted:

Yeah it's gotta be Scadrial as the other planets are all rooted in Medieval Age technology while on Scadrial they're rolling around with trains and guns and a plane.

This is why I'm looking forward to the eventual timeskip and the books that take place after it (even though we probably won't see them for another decade since they'd be books 6+). You just know we're going to get characters from the Wax and Wayne books ending up on Roshar at Harmony's urging, especially if/when he figures out that the external threat he's dealing with is from Odium. It probably won't be Wax but I'd love for it to be Wayne, MeLaan(?), and maybe someone else to make the trip. Bonus points if they get to use the Bands as well since the only thing that'd freak people out more than guns or a shapeshifter (who probably can't be hurt by shardblades unless you destroy their spikes) would be a gunman who has powers that make most Radiants look like frail children.

But really I just want Lopen and Wayne to meet and start trying to out-bullshit one another before joining forces to kick rear end across the Cosmere.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

This isn't the final stopping point for that arc, so we'll see how she develops

It's already kind of wacky by the end, her personalities seemed to be interacting with each other though I'd have to reread it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is why I'm looking forward to the eventual timeskip and the books that take place after it (even though we probably won't see them for another decade since they'd be books 6+). You just know we're going to get characters from the Wax and Wayne books ending up on Roshar at Harmony's urging, especially if/when he figures out that the external threat he's dealing with is from Odium. It probably won't be Wax but I'd love for it to be Wayne, MeLaan(?), and maybe someone else to make the trip. Bonus points if they get to use the Bands as well since the only thing that'd freak people out more than guns or a shapeshifter (who probably can't be hurt by shardblades unless you destroy their spikes) would be a gunman who has powers that make most Radiants look like frail children.

But really I just want Lopen and Wayne to meet and start trying to out-bullshit one another before joining forces to kick rear end across the Cosmere.

I think if Lopen and Wayne met, Wayne would immediately try to copy or impersonate him, succeed, and the whole of the Cosmere would collapse into itself from the strain.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Wayne could probably juggle multiple Nahel bonds.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I can see Wayne and Lopen accidentally doing everything Hoid is deliberately doing with gathering magic powers, except even better. And not even realize they're doing it. And using those powers in front of Hoid, but better and more creatively, leaving him going "What the loving gently caress?"

I can see a reformed Adonalsium at the end, and when someone asks it about those two Everythingmancers doing wacky poo poo around the universe it just facepalms and mutters about mistakes being made.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One of my friends asked Brandon what Lopen's deep dark secret was
turns out he doesn't have one. He got tossed into bridge four because he annoyed the wrong person, and is actually a well-balanced individual

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
There is already at least one (possibly two) Scadrian on Roshar through right? Iyatil and maybe Mraize

*edit poo poo i forgot about Demoux too...

TheMirage fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 1, 2017

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheMirage posted:

There is already at least one (possibly two) Scadrian on Roshar through right? Iyatil and maybe Mraize

not to mention felt

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

ekeog posted:

not to mention felt

And any Kandra we don't know about.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

jebrown84 posted:

Super spys on MY planet? Why I never...

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

jebrown84 posted:

Seen a theory that Dalinar's guide to the Nightwatcher might have been a kandra.

Anyway. I wonder if maybe the Kandra can crossbreed with humans now and Sazed just didn't tell them because that would gently caress with their free will. It seems like the sort of thing Sazed would do, and he did give the Koloss a way out of their racial dead end.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think Felt probably isn't a Kandra, just because we already know who house Venture's kandra was

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TheMirage posted:

Mraize hasn't done anything that suggests they're from Scadrial IIRC, but they do have a pet bird that's from First of the Sun (Sixth of Dusk's setting).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Mraize uses Thaylen words I think. Iyatil is the worldhopper, probably some sort of twinborn?

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

Mraize uses Thaylen words I think. Iyatil is the worldhopper, probably some sort of twinborn?

I don't think we've seen her use any investiture.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Mraize

He might be a Roshar native but he's a worldhopper. He also has items from various worlds including 'heavy hairpins' that might actually be hemalurgic spikes. and bones with writing on them (which would be from the monks in Elantris).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Unless Sazed fixed things, IIRC you can't keep hemalurgic spikes outside of the body.

jebrown84 posted:

I don't think we've seen her use any investiture.

She's described as superhumanly fast in WoR IIRC.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unless Sazed fixed things, IIRC you can't keep hemalurgic spikes outside of the body.

It's sort of an asymptotic degradation, and you can stop it by keeping them in blood (or maybe in aluminum?)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wax has Vin's earring, which he received in Shadows of Self(?) IIRC and I'm pretty sure that has spent a fair amount of time outside of a body over the years.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wax has Vin's earring, which he received in Shadows of Self(?) IIRC and I'm pretty sure that has spent a fair amount of time outside of a body over the years.

You can keep the spikes themselves, but once a spike has been powered up you either have to keep it in a body or inside of blood or the power leaks out. Nothing happens to the spike itself. In the case you're talking about, it's still a perfectly usable spike without any power it may have contained from that person in the intervening years.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Whole bunch of WoB updated on the coppermind. He's basically confirmed that Roshar humans came from Ashyn, the first world of the Roshar system that's featured in the story The Silence Divine. The magic system that destroyed that world was "similar" to surgebinding, but not quite the same.

He also confirms Azure=Vivenna, not that it wasn't entirely obvious.
One of the letters comes from First of the Sun's Shard, which is the actual island Patji. Somehow.

Edit: Yeah, different silence. Still, that's the word from the man; since its unpub'd it's not Hard canon but the broad strokes are probably correct.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 3, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The silence divine is unpublished and not related to shadows for silence in the forests of hell.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I've been waiting for this book for so long, it's loaded into my kindle, but I can't read it yet because of finals. If it was a shorter book I would read it without feeling guilty, but it's so big I can't :smith:

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

OAquinas posted:

One of the letters comes from First of the Sun's Shard, which is the actual island Patji. Somehow.

That's interesting, especially because I thought Sanderson explicitly said sometime else that there is no shard in that system, just the perpendicularity on Patji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Xenix posted:

That's interesting, especially because I thought Sanderson explicitly said sometime else that there is no shard in that system, just the perpendicularity on Patji.

He did say "a big asterisk" so there's undoubtedly something nonstandard about it.