Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Here's my hot take: death to urbanites :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/936300891614744577

lmaoooooo

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Corrupt Liberals! What!?!?!?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That's insider trading isn't it?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

so what? successful people buy and sell shares all the time! nothing to see here folks

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Forcillo reprimanded and now serving sentence for violating his bail :snoop:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
this makes me think the cons are going to cruise to another 'liberal corruption' victory. Hope the NDP can actually try and capitalize on the Liberals being lying pieces of poo poo for once.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^^ :lol: if you think the current NDP leadership can do anything like that. Its the same team that runs the ONDP.

THC posted:

so what? successful people buy and sell shares all the time! nothing to see here folks

That is 100% the actual defense he used for this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Risky Bisquick posted:

Forcillo reprimanded and now serving sentence for violating his bail :snoop:

He can have Kelly Ellard's seat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If insider trading and other technically illegal financial poo poo was actually enforced a good half of the wealth of the fantastically rich would vanish overnight. The key is just to not get caught or be rich enough that you can brush off getting caught now and then. Oh I have to pay a 50 million dollar fine on an illegal practise I've been doing for years to make billions but you aren't actually going to permanently shut me or my company down? Too big to fail, too big to be punished.

It's when upper middle class folk try to do it after the "aspirational" examples of their peers do people actually crash and burn.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ahaha, oh there's actually something to this, this is amazing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

He has to resign now, no way out of this

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think there's a real issue here with how people with money run our government, but I'm not sure this is insider trading.

If it is, it's real bad insider trading considering what Morneau Sheppell is trading at now.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Count Roland posted:

ahaha, oh there's actually something to this, this is amazing.

They just can’t help themselves, can they?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

David Corbett posted:

They just can’t help themselves, can they?

I thought the problem was that they did, and with abandon.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 26, 2018

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

James Baud posted:

Well, it's not just impropriety, it's the perception of impropriety unfortunately.

Selling 200,000 shares is relatively penny ante to these sorts and he probably didn't give it a second thought and certainly didn't tell his son / get told by his son to do it (or not to do it) because to communicate in any way about it actually would be wrong.

Kinda like making a mountain out of "failed to disclose corporation that owns nothing but chateau, did disclose the chateau itself"

I wonder if they regret the "we're rich dudes but we're totally looking out for the little guy" approach yet. Paul Martin didn't have this much trouble from his flags of convenience.

That’s about four million dollars worth of stock. It’s not chump change, especially when it’s the family business.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's insider trading isn't it?

I don't believe so in the specific sense of the law. Insider trading is more about making trades based on knowledge of the company not accessible to the public.

Knowing about a general tax change ahead of time is just a sweet perk of being a politician.

Probably not illegal from a trading perspective, but definitely unethical from a political perspective.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Good job libs as per usual, you cant go a single term at any level of government without rampant corruption.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

https://globalnews.ca/news/3889241/alberta-mla-says-marijuana-legalization-could-lead-to-communist-revolution/ posted:

Alberta MLA says marijuana legalization could lead to communist revolution

“It wasn’t until the 1950s that China began to seriously eradicate the opium trade, the opium business, the opium tax revenue and all of these wonderful things that are supposed to be generated from recreational use of drugs,” Orr said.

"They actually got so serious about it, their whole society was so broken down and debilitated by it, that it contributed to the Chinese cultural revolution under the communists, the execution of thousands of people, dealers were executed, fields were plowed under and planted with real food, and I, for one, am not really willing to go down this road.

“The human tragedy of what’s going to happen with this has yet to be revealed.”

Weed:

1) Enhances food, music, games and movies
2) Useful for treating some medical conditions
3) :feelsgood:
4) Destabilizes society, leads to communist revolution

Whelp, I'm sold.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

In 2082, the People's Republic of Canada has assumed control of the mainland, and the Canadian government-in-exile stamps its feet indignantly from a tiny island offshore that the new mentats insistently refer to as Canadian Tie-PEI.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

In 2082, the People's Republic of Canada has assumed control of the mainland, and the Canadian government-in-exile stamps its feet indignantly from a tiny island offshore that the new mentats insistently refer to as Canadian Tie-PEI.

:vince:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

The Butcher posted:

Weed:

Whelp, I'm sold.

How far could the UCP go to stop legal weed if they get elected? Make by-laws fining everyone who smokes it? Stop any shops from selling it? There would still be a federal mail order program I guess?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

flakeloaf posted:

:five:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

James Baud posted:

Four million, in the billion dollar family business he started. (Granted I have no idea what WF Morneau Sr has taken out total and has remaining - I never care about this kind of detail on Canadian companies so it'd take work to dig up). In a family that has outright billionaires in the mix by marriage...

We're probably talking a fraction of 1% of his net worth which I'll wildly guess to be 60m or so, on the delta in expected value on 4m from whatever policy change.

Let's say you're worth half a million total. Do you care that much about one or two thousand bucks? Yes, it's real money, but bear in mind that your portfolio fluctuates by several times that on a daily basis.

Uh yeah I absolutely do care about one or two thousand bucks. I know people who are worth considerably more than I am who also concern themselves over one or two thousand bucks. Does Bill Morneau’s dad care about a 4 million share redistribution, plus or minus? I can’t answer that, but pretending that he has too much money to care is hard to accept.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

hooooooh boy

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Oops

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/936305038191939584

Morneau sucks but Akin has been reaching on this file for a while

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

patonthebach posted:

Good job, canadian politicians, as per usual, you cant go a single term at any level of government without rampant corruption.

Fixed

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah lmao just lmao if you think this is somehow unique or exclusive to the Liberals. Every party is corrupt and does this poo poo.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol that is the same excuse Conservatives offer when they are caught lying and breaking the law lol

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yeah aand every party says that every party says that every party does corrupt stuff.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Butcher posted:

Weed:

Whelp, I'm sold.

I feel like this guy should be praising the Chinese communists for doing such a good job on the anti-drug front.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"ugh, the liberals are so corrupt"
liberal apologist: "heh, I think you mean politicians are corrupt" :smug:

"ugh, the conservatives are so corrupt"
tory apologist: "correction: politicians are corrupt" :smug:

rachel notley: *has no ethics scandals*

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

I think there's a real issue here with how people with money run our government, but I'm not sure this is insider trading.

If it is, it's real bad insider trading considering what Morneau Sheppell is trading at now.

Maybe Jr forgot to tell his dad that he joined government to enact legislation favouring the exact kind of targeted benefit pensions that their company just so happens to manage, which I presume is the main reason for Morneau-Sheppell's performance.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The story seems like a non-starter because even if there was a tax change it wouldn't happen on the announcement date, it would happen in the next tax year after legislation was passed so there would be no rush to dump shares to avoid Capital Gains. David Akin is okay for some news but he's a pretty big Con-Stooge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
How much money has bill morneau made from the gains in his morneau sheppell shares since he was elected? Shares have gone up 38% since then. He owns roughly 2 million shares so:

at 16.03 a share during the election, now worth 21.76 he's made

11 million dollars