Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

That second video is no joke. Walls are a loving bullet funnel and if hit at the right angle a bullet will just ride down them. Fighting in a narrow hallway is like fighting in a bullet trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Arc Light posted:

Thanksgiving and Black Friday remain my favorite work nights of the year.

Had a lady get so irate that she broke all the windows at her friend's house, then kicked the front door off its hinges.

Why was she angry?

Her friend wouldn't let her drive drunk with her children in the back seat. Stay classy, Louisiana.

Best time to serve old warrants. Everybody's home.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

SAME SAME I CAME posted:

Best time to serve old warrants. Everybody's home.

Back in college one of my classes had a US Marshal come in for a guest lecture and he went on at length about how Thanksgiving and Christmas are their busiest days of the year because they snag a shitload of fugitives that came home for the holiday.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

Back in college one of my classes had a US Marshal come in for a guest lecture and he went on at length about how Thanksgiving and Christmas are their busiest days of the year because they snag a shitload of fugitives that came home for the holiday.

stone cold

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
lmao

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Idk if we're talking bouncers I know some guys who've been through some poo poo.

This one guy I know was taking out a belligerent rear end in a top hat (he was bear hugging him and dragging him out) and got hit in the back of the head with a bottle by the guys tiny girlfriend.

Though if we're talking Arrow then lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
thing that bothers me about the blue lives matter flag: doesnt the flag already have blue in it??!?!?!?!?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Not if it's in totally cool subdued black and white to look all bad rear end and coooooooool

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

:pisstape:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Do any of you have any kickass academy cadences? I've never marched before, but I would love to bust out something funny.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Like, running cadences? I think the Army sings when they march, but I was a Marine, and we only sing when we run. I only know one funny one, but keep in mind nothing is funny when running. Because running sucks.

Me and Superman got in a fight;
hit him in the head with Kryptonite.
I hit him so hard that I smashed his brain;
and now I'm dating Lois Lane.

Me and Batman had it out too;
I kicked him in the head with all my might.
I kicked him so hard I smashed his grill;
and now I'm driving that Bat-Mobile.

Me and the Hulk went blow for blow;
but I like green so I let him go.
And I know you heard about a guy named Flash;
when I caught him on the track I kicked his rear end.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I went to the market where all the people shop

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Also,
Napalm sticks to kids

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Grem posted:

Also,
Napalm sticks to kids

C-130 flyin high
Drop some napalm from the sky
Napalm sticks to little kids
They got french fried fingers and barbecued ribs

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grem posted:

Like, running cadences? I think the Army sings when they march, but I was a Marine, and we only sing when we run. I only know one funny one, but keep in mind nothing is funny when running. Because running sucks.

Apparently the police do them too now! :suicide:

Thanks for the funny stuff.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Jodies are stupid and nobody likes them, or the people who use them.

https://terminallance.com/2012/12/12/terminal-lance-239-keeping-cadence/

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Chichevache posted:

Do any of you have any kickass academy cadences? I've never marched before, but I would love to bust out something funny.

Jesus Christ no

we didn't do any stupid marching poo poo

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Woof Blitzer posted:

The only cadence.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Woof Blitzer posted:

Legit the only good cadence. Doubleplusgood for a police academy.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Smiling Jack posted:

Jesus Christ no

we didn't do any stupid marching poo poo

Admit it though, it would be the most hilarious thing to watch a bunch of recruits in your city try to keep time.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Homie S posted:

Admit it though, it would be the most hilarious thing to watch a bunch of recruits in your city try to keep time.

You ever seen NYPD at a parade? We just kinda... mosey along

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Smiling Jack posted:

Having seen the ongoing very accurate documentary Brooklyn Nine-Nine, this checks out.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

For real why do police academies seem to want to do cadences and military basic training type discipline stuff beyond normal PT?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm just picturing some veteran getting out of the military, then going into police work and hearing the same cadences and realizing they done hosed up.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Why do police need to march around like they're in a military?

Has anyone told cops they are not in the Army :ssh:

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 30, 2017

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Why does the military need to march around like it's the 1800s?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
TRADITION

loving idiots

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

hypnophant posted:

You won't see marching outside a training base or parade ground.

In the most practical sense, it's because a month ago, trainees at tech school bases still had to ask permission to go to the bathroom, and are probably not responsible enough to make classes on time. A typical USAF tech school rotation involves more than a thousand students going to dozens of classes all over the base, so allowing every PVT/A1C/LCPL to drive a car would make base traffic a nightmare.

Therefore, marching to and from school, lunch, appointments etc. still serves a function on training bases.

Also, it's the military FFS. :bahgawd: :corsair: Though if you ask me, standards went down the shitter as soon as we stopped wearing uniforms that required daily ironing and sleeve creases, and daily boot shining!! :bahgawd: :corsair:

Police academies are not the military.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 30, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

celeryman posted:

Police academies are not the military.

The Wehrmacht Massachusetts State Police would disagree.

But, yeah, tradition. Which is the same reason departments wear basketweave belts, or class a uniforms, or service caps. While policing in Britain was developed to notionally avoid military connotations, early American police (especially state police) patterned themselves deliberately after the contemporary army, and that's reflected in the uniforms, drill, and terminology. Why else would we have sergeants, captains, etc?

Hell, some of those unfortunate souls use straight up US Army ranks.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
So do any US PD's have an actual tank? I dont mean just some pos apc, but a real tank with like a 120mm cannon n poo poo. I want my tax dollars to blow up crooks so i dont have to pay Trump Penal Solutions Inc. any money to house and feed them.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Reign Of Pain posted:

So do any US PD's have an actual tank? I dont mean just some pos apc, but a real tank with like a 120mm cannon n poo poo. I want my tax dollars to blow up crooks so i dont have to pay Trump Penal Solutions Inc. any money to house and feed them.

Sheriff Joe had a M109.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Reign Of Pain posted:

Tanks are so old fashioned. We blow up evildoers with robots now. Get with the 21st century, dude.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Arc Light posted:

The Wehrmacht Massachusetts State Police would disagree.

But, yeah, tradition. Which is the same reason departments wear basketweave belts, or class a uniforms, or service caps. While policing in Britain was developed to notionally avoid military connotations, early American police (especially state police) patterned themselves deliberately after the contemporary army, and that's reflected in the uniforms, drill, and terminology. Why else would we have sergeants, captains, etc?

Hell, some of those unfortunate souls use straight up US Army ranks.

They even have the sam browne belts.

I mean of course they do.

Also :lol: to the guy with the comically large first sergeant chevrons. Those are like, novelty size that you wear at promotion parties.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
WA state DOT has an M60 tank...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dingleberry posted:

WA state DOT has an M60 tank...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZLfboCceGA

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Eh, that at least serves a purpose I guess. Though it could be easily met with a mortar or artillery, as is done in a lot of northern european countries to help control avalanches.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
We did cadence runs through the nearby neighborhood probably two or three days a week. Mostly yelling some form of "I could run all the way to *nearby jurisdiction* - LIKE THIS".

But I also went to an academy where we had to do some form of PT every hour to earn a break. Although I think it was just an easier way for the instructors to justify turning 10 minute breaks in to 15 for themselves.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

hypnophant posted:

Times you'll see a bunch of marching: initial training, ceremonies, and parades.

The other singular time you'll see marching is that it really just is the most efficient way to get hundreds or thousands of people moved around sometimes. It's brutally effective to just make 300 people turn and march and then stop 400 feet away to get the next issued equipment or whatever than to tell a bunch of NCOs and officers who think they're above marching "OK, go over there!" and then point. Instant clusterfuck as people mosey and gently caress with their phones or just leave.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Smiling Jack posted:

Sure have. My colleagues and I once called it "the beat walk of hell" cause they would actually have to walk around on streets and stuff

do you get it

edit:I secretly envied it. In Border Patrol academy we marched as a class everywhere we had to be :ughh:

Homie S fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Homie S posted:

do you get it

um no but I got six hours of sleep in the last 48