Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MooreSenate/status/936347763666837505?s=17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Wait, you're worried about the danger of a retaliatory strike following the US nuking them first? You need therapy.

No he is worried that the US strikes first and it escalates into a complete and utter poo poo storm.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ok, But that might literally be impossible for them to do.

well, in that case I will rejoice if they end up shooting themselves in the foot bc they've already admitted that they're looking at implementing austerity policies wrt public programs

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Taxes will never be raised on the rich ever again in this country, and loopholes which allow them to evade taxes in offshore accounts won't either. I think the us is going to follow greece's example and destroy itself with austerity measures, with right wing groups becoming more and more powerful. I try to be hopeful but i dunno, I think everything is hosed

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

DreamShipWrecked posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/936346883739607046

Of course, it's the gaudiest piece of poo poo imaginable

It looks like you should probably make sure your tetanus shot is up to date before ordering one. Though a bunch of Trumpers getting lockjaw wouldn't be the worst thing, I suppose

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Aves Maria! posted:

eh, if I had to choose what they ultimately go with I'd assume they'll go with "cut spending on things we dont like" as opposed to raising taxes

There is only $650B in non-defense discretionary spending so the $1.5T chasm they're nonchalantly conjuring from hell would eat the entire government

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Rex-Goliath posted:

Wait doesn’t this mean they can’t pass it with 50/50?

Until McConnell rips up those rules too, yes, I think that's correct.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This came up in my household, actually. We usually collect the White House ornaments, mostly because they’re silly and it’s something to do. Where does money for that sort of thing go? We’re more than happy to let the tradition die if a penny goes to Trump.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Isn't the official White House ornament always a thing? That was my Uncle's annual Christmas gift to our family every year.

This one is definitely gaudy as hell though.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

wait, so Moore wants to fight Kimmel in church?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Ravenfood posted:

Wait, you're worried about the danger of a retaliatory strike following the US nuking them first? You need therapy.

Dude, they have a nuke that can reach all parts of the U.S., and doesn't require much minaturization

They've said that if we strike first, they'll strike back

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 30, 2017

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

empty whippet box posted:

Taxes will never be raised on the rich ever again in this country, and loopholes which allow them to evade taxes in offshore accounts won't either. I think the us is going to follow greece's example and destroy itself with austerity measures, with right wing groups becoming more and more powerful. I try to be hopeful but i dunno, I think everything is hosed

that's when the youth purge of the olds begins

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

WeAreTheRomans posted:

wait, so Moore wants to fight Kimmel in church?

He wants to meet his kid.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Then take a break.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hobo Clown posted:

Isn't the official White House ornament always a thing? That was my Uncle's annual Christmas gift to our family every year.

This one is definitely gaudy as hell though.

I think that they typically are not about the standing president though, more ex presidents or just pictures of the white house. Maybe Your Boy Fancy can add more

According to the article these are not being sold, since the WH historical society (who are selling sane ornaments) usually sells them and gets the profits. I believe this is the one for this year.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 30, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

There is only $650B in non-defense discretionary spending so the $1.5T chasm they're nonchalantly conjuring from hell would eat the entire government

So what you're saying is non-defense non-discretionary spending needs to be axed.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Spun Dog posted:

He wants to meet his kid.

hasn't that child suffered enough?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ystriya/status/936274302571249665?s=17

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

But where will all the little girls sit?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah if you get scared always remember that when deepwater horizon was still spewing out oil the consensus in this forum was split between the entire gulf of mexico cracking open and releasing enough gas to turn Earth into Venus in days, or a hurricane sucking up all the oil then catching on fire and burning down the entire country

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Joy-Ann Reid had a good discussion about "whataboutism" the other day with an all female panel, and I thought she made a good point by saying if what Franken did was just as bad as what Trump and Moore did, that there's no such thing as layers of severity, then really, nothing matters. Turns out every person on the panel (4 in total) agreed, except the sole Republican (of course) who insisted, nay demanded, that Democrats need to be better than that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Stereotype posted:

Yeah if you get scared always remember that when deepwater horizon was still spewing out oil the consensus in this forum was split between the entire gulf of mexico cracking open and releasing enough gas to turn Earth into Venus in days, or a hurricane sucking up all the oil then catching on fire and burning down the entire country

nah

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Peak Baptist.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rex-Goliath posted:

Wait doesn’t this mean they can’t pass it with 50/50?

If they can't, it's dead. There's 40+ democrats and none of them are going to let them stop punching themselves in the dick.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Stereotype posted:

Uh no

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/TomLlamasABC/status/936190901503881216

What?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Wow, thanks for reminding me of how much better things could have been.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Dude, they have a nuke that can reach all parts of the U.S., and doesn't require much minaturization
I can't believe I'm engaging here, but I don't think they also have the required spread of silos, warning systems, and communications to actually be able to launch any of those should we decide to just attack first. Could be, I'm not versed in that at all, but given how much time we spent trying to figure out how to beat Russian second-strike capabilities, its probably something the US military has a handle on.

Like, you know that having a nuke doesn't mean poo poo if we just stealth-bomb wherever its stored or being launched from, right?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stereotype posted:

That second one sounds metal as gently caress why couldn't that happen, nature?!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Uh why would Jimmy Kimmel give a poo poo. Ten bucks says that this is an accusation by a Moore crony.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Your Boy Fancy posted:

This came up in my household, actually. We usually collect the White House ornaments, mostly because they’re silly and it’s something to do. Where does money for that sort of thing go? We’re more than happy to let the tradition die if a penny goes to Trump.

Good news: They're free.

quote:

Stephanie Grisham, the spokeswoman for first lady Melania Trump, said the ornaments will be given away as gifts, and there’s no plan to sell them. That’s doubtless a relief to the White House Historical Association, which for years has produced and sold an annual “Official White House Christmas Ornament” whose proceeds fund the group’s preservation and acquisition mission.
It’s unclear how many lucky pals will score the Trumps’ gift — the Rhode Island company that makes it (as well as the historical association’s) referred questions about quantities ordered to the first lady’s office, which didn’t say how many are going out.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

What I’m about to say is admittedly very pedantic. Tax increases are technically austerity and tax cuts are technically anti-austerity. Things that reduce deficits are austerity and things that increase deficits arent.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wasn't Tom Llamas the reporter who called the cops on people taking things from a storm during a hurricane?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/936351987976818690
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/936353254207877120

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

...Bush's tax cuts didn't have a whole lot to do with the fiscal crisis, no? That was a bunch of other dumb Republican ideas.

The 2007 financial crisis can be traced back to the Glass-Steagall act repeal passed a Republican held House and Senate (but with bipartisan support) and was signed by a Democratic President. It blew up during a Republican White House, but it was always going to blow up because neither party would ever have pursued a policy that didn't advocate home ownership on a massive scale. It's too ingrained in the 'American Dream' and both parties like to crow about record home ownership numbers. That increase in home ownership provided the capital to create interesting new financial instruments and banks were more than happy to get their dicks wet in some spec-u-lation after spending the decades since the Depression stuck in low yield safe investments.

2007 was a clusterfuck of unintended consequences.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/936354682770984961

Meaning he's sure he's got the votes, only this time there's no McCain spoiler?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Is there any chance that the lack of republican defectors on the senate tax bill is because they're getting word that the bill won't be reconciliation-compliant or that the house crazies will essentially kill it and the senators can just shrug at the donors and be like "we tried?"

Or does that too much hope in our post-Trump world?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

canepazzo posted:

I read that as "something is going wrong for mitch mcconnell right about now but I don't know what"

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

canepazzo posted:

possibly related:
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/936311101607858177
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/936354235033235457

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blind Pineapple posted:

Is there any chance that the lack of republican defectors on the senate tax bill is because they're getting word that the bill won't be reconciliation-compliant or that the house crazies will essentially kill it and the senators can just shrug at the donors and be like "we tried?"

Or does that too much hope in our post-Trump world?

No. They all want it to pass, they just all want it to be different things. This is different from Obamacare where there were a lot who secretly did not want it to pass at all. Each of them has something in mind they want passed and it's all fairly similar, with the one exception of the "trigger".

• Locked thread