Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

1.) EDDIE PLANK gets the ball in the tiebreaker.
2.) EDDIE COLLINS moves to 2b, putting Carew on the bench.

The TRIPLE EDDIES of Plank, Collins, and Murray will not be denied their title!

Let's go The Mites!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Getting this trade party started

Mites send
Billy Hamilton (1891 I think?)

Machineguns send
Hank Aaron, I think age 26
Hoyt Wilhelm, I think age 29

After the season thing, no action by a commish necessary, blah, blah, blah

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

If I beat the Panderers in the WC, that's extremely cool.

If I lose to the Panderers, I hope Pander wins the whole thing because I think that'll be the only way I can take the Pick 'Em.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

FairGame posted:

Getting this trade party started

Mites send
Billy Hamilton (1891 I think?)

Machineguns send
Hank Aaron, I think age 26
Hoyt Wilhelm, I think age 29

After the season thing, no action by a commish necessary, blah, blah, blah

trade confirmed! also the ages on hoyt and hank are accurate

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm going to win this for AndROiD.

I will challenge the Macho Men if when I win the Super League.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

EC teams: Cy Young and Joe Jackson and Ed Roush and a draft pick is my starting offer for a Ruth.

Message me.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

since i can't get the masked shortstop now, i have set my sights on buck leonard

i must find a way to destroy roman reigns

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

WEEK 26: END! END!

Game of the Weak:

Me posted:

Mogul is a very silly engine. It's not made to do this sort of thing, and the flaws show every now and then.

In this instance, the dumbest possible thing happened and yet it worked out anyway.

Y'see, the Rogues, Demonhunters, and Jailbirds were all in a dogfight for 1st place in the Punto division. The Jailbirds had a 2 game lead on both entering the week, but also were facing both teams. Not a safe lead at all.

The Mexicutioners and Sharks put any and all drama to rest early, dominating their weeks. They're both promoting.

But the Punto Division?

It got stupid.

At varying times the last 3 games of the season, all 3 teams were either in first place alone or at least had a share of it.

When it came down to the final game of the season, the Rogues were 1 game out. So were the Jailbirds, who'd dropped the first 2 games of a series to the Demonhunters. If the Demonhunters completed a sweep, they'd win the division. If the Jailbirds could salvage the series, they'd force a tie. If that happened AND the Rogues could complete a sweep of the Big Daddies, the tie would be 3 ways.

It got weird.

The Rogues, perhaps sensing that if they won something magical might happen, rallied in the 9th inning.

...but it was not enough, as they left the bases loaded in the 9th. Tony Gwynn flew out to the wall to strand all 3 runners.

And whatever magic they had died right then and there, as the Big Daddies walked it off in the bottom of the inning. This eliminated the Rogues, though they'll be back next season.

Meanwhile, the Jailbirds have relied on Ramon "Not Pedro" Martinez all season. And his turn in the rotation was up. They'd hand the ball to Ramon Martinez to force a tie and save the season.

Except Ramon suffered a catastrophic injury and wasn't avaiable. In a must-win game, the AI couldn't use the natural pitcher for that day, and instead had to select one.

Naturally, it selected the most logical choice for a must-win spot start:

TODD WORRELL.

Todd Worrell, being completely and totally inappropriate, did the most predictable thing possible:

He threw 5 superb innings and gave his team a chance to win. Which they did. Todd Worrell saved the season.

For now, anyway.

So now the Jailbirds and Demonhunters are tied for first place. The Giants will host the winner of the tiebreaker. The Sharks will host the Mexicutioners.

Oh, and because I wasn't paying attention when I built the save file, the tiebreaker is 3 games long (1 in Towa City, then 2 in Joliet). So all the other teams will have plenty of time to get their rotations in order.

Come back anytime, Gingemidget. I hope you're ok.

A strong final week gives you home field throughout the playoffs. Because of the tiebreaker series you'll have your whole rotation rested.

Get to trading.

You had your chance. Bases loaded in the 9th of that 9-8 loss, but Gwynn failed.

Get to trading.

Honestly I don't think you need to do anything. Just sit tight and win your round.

I don't get it. The pitching just completely crapped out.

JEB! can bring his rivals down with him, which is more than we can say for real JEB!

You almost blew it, but didn't. I think you're safe.

Get some offense, man. I dunno.

See bottom of post.

Get to trading.

See you next season.

Helluva strong finish. Not quite enough for home field, though.

You and Pander can put your heads together.

You're going to dominate the Gauntlet, I bet.

STRIFE IN THE KENSEI/JAMPACT HOUSEHOLD!

Well, you're promoting.

See bottom of post.

You prevented me from having to deal with a 3-way tie. So thanks. See you next season, friend.

Alright, so, here's where we stand:

I believe I only need to kill 8 teams in The Gauntlet, but I'll defer to Smasher on what he wants to do with the extra slot. So if you're in Round 5 or higher, you're almost certainly safe.

TMMadMan! McD!: You have a 3 game series to determine the winner of the Punto division! Game 1 is in Towa City. Games 2 and 3 are in Joliet. There's an off day for travel.

Jailbirds
Larry Jackson: Ready to pitch.
Bret Saberhagen: 1 day until rested.
Juan Marichal: 2 days until rested.
Pedro Martinez: 2 days until healthy. He can start Game 2.

Demonhunters
Bobby Mathews: Ready.
Candy Cummings: Ready.
Tommy Bond: 2 days until rested.
Will White: 3 days until rested.
Jack Powell Ichi: Ready.

Pungry!
DivineCoffeeBinge!
Cthulhu!
GVOLTT!

The trading window is now open. Submit your Gauntlet rosters when ready. Probably will not start shucking teams until Monday at the earliest.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FairGame posted:

Goddammit Armitage

This is very progressive positioning by the Big Daddies.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hot loving drat. I didn't expect that.

Well, I'll clear my poo poo up once I get home.

EDIT: Greg Minton started that game. What the gently caress.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 30, 2017

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheMcD posted:

Hot loving drat. I didn't expect that.

Well, I'll clear my poo poo up once I get home.

EDIT: Greg Minton started that game. What the gently caress.

Excuse me, I had Todd Worrell start. You have no right to complain!

It feels like Mogul looked at my spare pitchers and went 'Hey let's use the worst ranked guy!'

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

TMMadman posted:

Excuse me, I had Todd Worrell start. You have no right to complain!

You are both idiot failure units and I will kill whichever one promotes next season .

Love,

Shepard -Machine

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

shepard.shouldgo posted:

You are both idiot failure units and I will kill whichever one promotes next season .

Love,

Shepard -Machine

Oh, shut up, you amateur evil. Come back when you've actually been punished for your transgressions instead of being rewarded. As far as I'm concerned, you're just a pretender until you have to make your lineup changes in iambic pentameter.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

TheMcD posted:

Oh, shut up, you amateur evil. Come back when you've actually been punished for your transgressions instead of being rewarded. As far as I'm concerned, you're just a pretender until you have to make your lineup changes in iambic pentameter.

I hope you promote to STV

Extremely bad Batman voice

“Tell me, do you bleed? You will”

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

My reaction to all of you right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gki8DgcWCs0

the guy who plays Bennet is literally named Vernon Wells

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, let's figure this poo poo out.

First off, a slider change: Set Defensive Replacements to -5. For reasons I'm sure you can understand.

Next, new rotation:

SP1: Candy Cummings (next starter)
SP2: Tommy Bond
SP3: Will White
SP4: Bobby Mathews
SP5: Jack Powell Ichi

This should mean that the three games of the tiebreaker should be started by: Candy Cummings for Game 1 in Towa City, Tommy Bond for Game 2 in Joliet, and Will White for Game 3 in Joliet.

No changes for the lineup. We will win our third Sub-Par League Championship on the back of Frank Robinson, Sub-Par League dinger champion!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Expansion Cup 23, August: Gloom

Team Statistics

Analysis

You know, it's pretty great how you replaced two players who were doing very badly and their replacements just poo poo the bed even harder. A good draft pick will await you.

Analysis

I dunno. Something just isn't clicking, but you'll have a #1 draft pick to figure it out with.

Analysis

Analysis

Mashed potatoes. Potatoes that mash. Below .500, yet dead in the middle. What a sad fate.

Analysis

Analysis

Still in the hunt! Once more, just think of what Mathewson could've done for you if you had him in immediately...

Analysis

STILL IN FIRST! But god drat, you're cutting it so, SO close! The bullpen is so absolutely saving your rear end here, including Even Year Bullshit All-Star Jake Peavy!

Analysis

Well, at this point, we're just kind of running out the clock. Still, not a completely disastrous showing.

Analysis

Still in the hunt! Schang's getting cold, but the Ruths are picking up, which is a net plus. While CVE's bullpen is the clear bullpen MVP, yours might be a hidden gem second place. You probably shouldn't expect that to repeat, but it's helping here.

Analysis

Much like the Ralphie May's, we're just kind of stuck running out the clock. Not bad enough to compete for draft pick #1, not good enough to compete for the top.

Standings

Leaders

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

well, might as well set my trade block, now that I'm basically guaranteed to go down to the subpar. Mostly looking for starting pitching, although I wouldn't turn down interesting enough bats

one of
1981 Ted Simmons, or 1995 Mike Piazza
1953 Eddie Mathews
1998 Larry Walker
1983 Bruce Sutter or 1981 Rollie Fingers
and in theory one of 1996 Manny Ramirez or 1956 Willie Mays, but I'm more likely to give them another chance in the subpar, where I expect them to hit better

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

also, per our discord bet about ties in the subpar, Shepard and the Moscow Golden Tsars are now the proud owners of the Human Eyeball himself, 1911 Bris Lord.

remember kids, gambling is bad

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Everyone should root for the Mites in the tiebreaker unless you're fairgame or dannomack

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Well, it's a winning month and there's still a chance of getting to .500. Things seem to be working.

One thing I noticed, though, is that Mogul thinks Stan the Man should not be playing right field. So lets switch him witch Albert Belle on the field, but not in the batting order.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

HulkaMatt posted:

Everyone should root for the Mites in the tiebreaker unless you're fairgame or dannomack

The Mites are my team so I am 100% rooting for them.

Also it doesn't matter. The 5 points I'd gain on everyone when the Mites win isn't enough to offset the 15 points I'd lose on most everyone if the Panderers win.

Pick 'Em is literally: no matter what happens at this point, I win unless the Panderers win the whole thing. In which case, you win.

e: that might not be right. If RCMP loses the tiebreaker AND wins the championship, then I think Deadford wins.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 30, 2017

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

I'm actually kind of surprised we're this close to .500, to be honest.

Also I'm kind of curious just how many times we've been caught stealing because holy loving :laffo: at those steal numbers. My favorite is Crazy Legs Canseco with 5 steals.

Also also let's put Wade Boggs as DH in the same slot in the lineup just because.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Jose Canseco actually stole a good amount of bases. He was 30/30 a few times, I believe.

e: he was 40/40 once, 1 steal short of 30/30 once, but still swiped 200 bags in his career vs. 88 CS.

He's not a lumbering monster like Mark McGwire.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TheFlyingLlama posted:

also, per our discord bet about ties in the subpar, Shepard and the Moscow Golden Tsars are now the proud owners of the Human Eyeball himself, 1911 Bris Lord.

remember kids, gambling is bad

There was a baseball player named ‘Bris Lord’?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Edward Mass posted:

There was a baseball player named ‘Bris Lord’?

Bristol Robot Ham Lord, to be precise.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
If it isn't too late I'd like Larry Jackson to start the tie breaker game. Sorry!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alright, let's go ahead and start the 4 man rotation now.

SP1 - Jackson (next starter)
SP2 - Saberhagen
SP3 - Marichal
SP4 - Pedro
Mop Up - Worrell (because gently caress it why not)

The relievers and lineups stay the same.

Good Luck McD. It's been a fun season regardless of the outcome.

But I hope you lose! Even though I not sure I'm ready for the SL :)

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
My Walter Johnson must've gone scorched earth to end with that ERA. I'm okay with this

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

PLAYOFFS?

vs RHP
CF Speaker
RF Henderson
LF Goslin
1B Olerud
SS AndROiD
2B Cano
3B Brett
C Simmons
P

vs LHP
CF Yount
2B Lajoie
RF Henderson
LF Goslin
C Piazza
1B Anson
SS AndROiD
3B ARod
P

SP Maddux
SP Powell
SP Creighton
SP Brown

CL Betances
SU Chapman
SR Donahue
SR Henke
MR Quisenberry
LR Donahue
Mop Steib

kensei fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 1, 2017

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

FairGame posted:

The Mites are my team so I am 100% rooting for them.

Somehow, I didn't know this.

But you get 20 Pick'Em points if Danno wins the tiebreaker. 5 if you win.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

HulkaMatt posted:

Somehow, I didn't know this.

But you get 20 Pick'Em points if Danno wins the tiebreaker. 5 if you win.

Well, only the Mites in the WC matters since everyone else ALSO has the RCMP winning.

And there's not enough points in the Mites that it'd make a Panderers championship not a thing.

And further, ALWAYS ROOT FOR THE MITES

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

This lineup change is all Fairgame's fault for starting a left handed pitcher, don't blame me!

I'll need a backup C for the game so send down injured Gibson and call up Russ Martin please.

CF Billy Hamilton L
3B Wade Boggs L
LF Babe Ruth L
2B Riggs Stephenson R
RF Babe Ruth L
1B Lou Gehrig L
C Roger Bresnahan R
SS Joe Sewell L

Bench
CF Wally Berger R
3B Edgar Martinez R
2B Rod Carew L
SS Joe Cronin R
1B Joey Votto L
C Russ Martin R

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

DannoMack posted:

This lineup change is all Fairgame's fault for starting a left handed pitcher, don't blame me!

What the gently caress is this?

That's it! I'm delaying the tiebreaker until tomorrow, because you have all pushed me too far!

The wildcard games will be simmed on Monday!

I can't work under these conditions!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

DannoMack posted:

I'll need a backup C for the game so send down injured Gibson and call up Russ Martin please.

CF Billy Hamilton L
3B Wade Boggs L
LF Babe Ruth L
2B Riggs Stephenson R
RF Babe Ruth L
1B Lou Gehrig L
C Roger Bresnahan R
SS Joe Sewell L

Bench
CF Wally Berger R
3B Edgar Martinez R
2B Rod Carew L
SS Joe Cronin R
1B Joey Votto L
C Russ Martin R
That's a hell of a vs LHP lineup you've got there, son.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If I do nothing I'll feel bad when I inevitably miss the EC update due to oversleeping and being like two games out at the end, so some very last minute changes to quell the roaring beast that is my generalized anxiety.

- Swap Jamieson and Gardner's spots in the lineup
- Swap Lefferts and Hoyt in the bullpen

Fingers crossed...

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 2, 2017

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
A TRADE!!!

Mexico City Mexicutioners receive:
1998 Mark McGwire

Grand Goognol receives:
1933 Cool Papa Bell

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Pander posted:

That's a hell of a vs LHP lineup you've got there, son.

Other than Gibson being injured, it's the same lefty lineup that won the championship.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Goog posted:

A TRADE!!!

Mexico City Mexicutioners receive:
1998 Mark McGwire

Grand Goognol receives:
1933 Cool Papa Bell

confirmed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Expansion Cup 23, September: Despair

Team Statistics

Needs

Bullpen and SS are the most glaring needs, I think. Getting help at C would also be a plus.

Needs

Pitching is probably where this team needs the most help. Just, all the pitching.

Needs

To get with the times, grandpa. A team made during SL12 can't compete with the hip new teams made during SL23. Also, holy poo poo, my team's lineage goes back to SL12. I have been here way too long.

Needs

People that can get on base. Also, I'm not confident in that pitching at all, but hell, maybe it'll work.

Needs

SS, 1B and 3B are places where you can probably do better. The bullpen is also filled with guys that'll probably get murdered, but whose bullpen isn't?

Needs

To thank whatever gods you sacrificed Baumgartner to. Christ, what a run. Again, the bullpen is probably going to be an issue in the long run.

Needs

To figure out which demon placed a curse on you. Your luck is just absolutely hosed. Anyway, I don't think you have that much to fix, at least not to the degrees other teams have to. 3B is worth looking at, and bullpen help is always good.

Needs

RF and SS are definitely improvable, and the rotation is going to need a piece or two.

Needs

2B, 3B, SS, incredibly badly. Bullpen and rotation, badly. Good luck, you'll need it.

Needs

Bullpen and rotation isn't optimal. There's a lot of fine options in the hitting, though, so you can afford to concentrate on pitching, I'd say.

Standings

Leaders

Draft Order:

#1: Cobb County Kestrels (66-96)
#2: Chicago Cubs (71-91)
#3: Idaho Potatoes (75-87)
#4: Venice Serene Lions (77-85)
#5: Ruston Ralphie May's (81-81)
#6: SanSan Outlaws (90-72)
#7: Morioh Crazy Diamonds (91-71)
#8: Prague Plague Doctors (97-65)
#9: Omaha Forgettables (98-64)