Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a difference between disagreeing with how someone achieves their goal and disagreeing with their apparent goal.

Like, at some point it isn't just method differences, at some point you start doing things that suggest you are not actually on the same team as other people. Especially when your engagement with that criticism expressed a continuing fundamental lack of common ground with your critics.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lessail posted:

Then we come back to the point of not doing this to help them raise money, which is the strongest criticism and got the weakest rebuttal from her.

I would prefer she stick to non-paid events for this reason, but even on this point the response has been absurdly disproportionate. Attending one ticketed conservative event isn't going to cause any lasting harm and the completely valid issue of assisting in conservative fundraising could have been raised without any of the absurd drama of the last few days.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Assuming it stays at one, because she again does not fundamentally seem to understand why it is objectionable.

Same with the tone policing nonsense, again failing critically to grasp the basis for why people are ardent to the point of violence about their beliefs.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
don't fund raise for the far right, ez pz

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

multijoe posted:

I would prefer she stick to non-paid events for this reason, but even on this point the response has been absurdly disproportionate. Attending one ticketed conservative event isn't going to cause any lasting harm and the completely valid issue of assisting in conservative fundraising could have been raised without any of the absurd drama of the last few days.

Is it "absurdly disproportionate?" Is it "absurd drama?" Is shoeonhead "a reasonable voice in the discussion?" Does the far right Contra wants to reach "say what they mean about freedom of speech and logic and debate?"

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
new vid from my good lad shaun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wayFC5560lw

smashing it as usual

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Assuming it stays at one, because she again does not fundamentally seem to understand why it is objectionable.

Same with the tone policing nonsense, again failing critically to grasp the basis for why people are ardent to the point of violence about their beliefs.

She's already said she has no intentions of attending any more debates and intends to engage more with her leftist critics. Again, I agree with the leftist criticisms of her on a few issues, but I'm not seeing a fundamental disagreement in beliefs, just tactics.

Lessail posted:

Is it "absurdly disproportionate?" Is it "absurd drama?" Is shoeonhead "a reasonable voice in the discussion?" Does the far right Contra wants to reach "say what they mean about freedom of speech and logic and debate?"

Yes, yes and yes. Contra's entire channel is dedicated to criticising the alt-right and informing people on social justice issues. The recent idea that she's a far-right sleeper agent because her ideas of audience engagement fall outside of 'preach zealously to the converted' is absurd.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

No one is calling her a far right sleeper agent, Christ.

Not in this thread, at least, I can't speak for Twitter idiots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

multijoe posted:

She's already said she has no intentions of attending any more debates and intends to engage more with her leftist critics. Again, I agree with the leftist criticisms of her on a few issues, but I'm not seeing a fundamental disagreement in beliefs, just tactics.

Yes and without actually an indication that she understands why it's important to do that other than just "because people yell at me if I don't" I'm not particularly inclined to believe that. She isn't going to hold a position just because she gets yelled at if she doesn't, she is eventually going to find a group of people who don't yell at her as much if that is what she's primarily bothered about.

This is what I'm getting at, I just don't see any suggestion that she is operating on the same premises as her critics. Superficially similar ones in some areas yes, perhaps some areas even actual concurrence, but when I look I see far more emotional engagement with what I would characterise as the leftist areas of the subject and the response, than intellectual. And this is understandable! People are emotional and that's fine, even good. But the trouble is that if someone is driven by that and is going to be "scared off by mean leftists" as the right so often puts it, the age old critique stands, they were never cognitively engaged with the subject to begin with.

It is entirely possible that I'm wrong but I argue still that I see no evidence to support the supposition that she is intellectually engaged with the left. And working from that and her previous political expressions I'm not left in the position where I think I'm likely to agree with her political standpoint.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 30, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Lovechop posted:

new vid from my good lad shaun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wayFC5560lw

smashing it as usual

Aw yeah, nothing like a good ol' "webster defines" opening to let you know the caliber of thinker you're dealing with. And a patronizing "bless your heart" voice to rival TL;DR's snot-nosed imbecile stylings, to boot!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

WampaLord posted:

No one is calling her a far right sleeper agent, Christ.

Not in this thread, at least, I can't speak for Twitter idiots.

i'm not sure the utility of critiquing her response without taking into context twitter being the primary point of contact

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

multijoe posted:

Yes, yes and yes. Contra's entire channel is dedicated to criticising the alt-right and informing people on social justice issues. The recent idea that she's a far-right sleeper agent because her ideas of audience engagement fall outside of 'preach zealously to the converted' is absurd.

Already seeing Contra's threads having quite the effect

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think she lacks the understanding of why its objectionable... I'm sure some of the 100s of tweets she got saying that probably hammered that home... I think the disagreement is over the morality of the group itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fallenturtle posted:

I don't think she lacks the understanding of why its objectionable... I'm sure some of the 100s of tweets she got saying that probably hammered that home... I think the disagreement is over the morality of the group itself.

I don't think she shares the premise that results in the belief that providing material support to lovely people is seriously lovely.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roaming Millennial is trash trash trash. I can’t tell if willful ignorance is better or worse than not caring about the truth, but it’s pretty loving close.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

roaming millennial is cute, i am now alt-right.

(lollin at black people committing more crime than white people.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

roaming millennial is cute, i am now alt-right.

Do any of these hot chud ladies have a patreon where they sell nudes or do custom videos? I feel like a lot of them are close.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
$50 or more per month

A one-on-one Skype call after 6 months of support! Message me once you've met the pledge requirement and we'll set up a time!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i love the idea that it isn;'t oppression if you're locked away "justly" (as in you committed a crime) even if it's at a disproportionate rate or for a disproportionate amount of time.

white people have always sold and used crack more than black people yet 99.7 percent (yeah virtually all) of federal crack convictions have been against black offenders and 86 percent of state level convictions have been of black offenders.

80 percent of drug convictions are of black or latino offenders despite non-hispanic whites committing most drug crime.

poor white youths commit crime at four times the rate of affluent black youths yet affluent black youths are 3 times as likely to end up in jail as poor white youths.

like this poo poo isn't even close.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure she was going on deep statistical analysis as much as she thinks black people are criminals therefore it's fine.

Also frankly I'm white and I feel oppressed by a video with a thumbnail of a smug white person looking haughty and telling me I'm not oppressed.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Do any of these hot chud ladies have a patreon where they sell nudes or do custom videos? I feel like a lot of them are close.

Hey, can we avoid posting poo poo like this, it's kinda sexist.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

business hammocks posted:

Don't do this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure she was going on deep statistical analysis as much as she thinks black people are criminals therefore it's fine.

Also frankly I'm white and I feel oppressed by a video with a thumbnail of a smug white person looking haughty and telling me I'm not oppressed.

but it's such an easy thing to debunk. you can look at any fbi uniform crime report. the only crime white people don't commit the majority of is murder (black offenders commit about half).

i don't know if shaun mentioned it in the video though i know he brought up that most asians come here educated but if you compare whites and asians by education level white people make more at every level. my brother - who's sadly become an insane maga chud - tried that model minority bullshit on me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Entirely true but since when were the alt right interested in facts?

Just use a lot of words to describe how you feel racism is justified, and have lots of people to go hmm yes very interesting yes hmm in the comments.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The "citing crime statistics to prove black people commit more crime" thing is amazing. "It is fair and just for black people to be convicted of more crimes, because they get convicted of more crimes."

also, let's not forget her opening her video with a smug dictionary definition cite, which she then ignores in favor of her own definition that she made up and never states.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
I can't remember what video it was that pointed out that your argument is probably going to be bad if you start with a dictionary definition but it certainly applied in the case of that last Shaun video.

Is there a name for this tactic?

edit: I say tactic like it requires some actual thought, haha.

Wrath of Mordark fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 30, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the very first twitter reply to shaun posting the vid was someone pointing out she was automatically wrong for opening with the dictionary citation lol

the poverty + culture thing is also such a lovely dogwhistle cuz you'd have to assume white people have some culture problem because when you compare by income level white people and black people commit crime at the same rates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wrath of Mordark posted:

I can't remember what video it was that pointed out that your argument is probably going to be bad if you start with a dictionary definition but it certainly applied in the case of that last Shaun video.

Is there a name for this tactic?

Extremely lame appeal to authority.

"It's written in this book, therefore I'm right."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Not So Fast posted:

Hey, can we avoid posting poo poo like this, it's kinda sexist.

Noted, though you have to admit that the unhealthy attention they get from gross womanhaters must to some extent inform their personae and the nature of their engagement with being “one of the good ones” who conforms to certain objectifying expectations.

I admit it’s probably not a fun time for any woman to have or have to manage that kind of attention.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only reason roaming millennial and shoeonhead have audiences is because the chuds find them cute.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I don't think anyone is denying that women's bodies are commodified, just that the commodification isn't their fault and we should try not to join in on it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

On the podcast Thomas Smith did about the Mythcon poo poo show he goes over crime stats for black v white and it's quite a good breakdown of both the way the police seem to target African Americans and how Sargon doesn't care about that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

every american should read the new jim crow.

and all these clowns should be forced to read it and mismeasure of man.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

bessantj posted:

On the podcast Thomas Smith did about the Mythcon poo poo show he goes over crime stats for black v white and it's quote a good breakdown of both the way the police seem to target African Americans and how Sargon doesn't care about that.

My "favorite" anecdote comes from the DoJ investigation of the Baltimore PD, where it turns out the template for arrest reports had "black male" filled in already to save the officers time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Goon Danton posted:

My "favorite" anecdote comes from the DoJ investigation of the Baltimore PD, where it turns out the template for arrest reports had "black male" filled in already to save the officers time.

And you know people like Sargon would just shrug and say "Well they are committing most of the crime."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The only reason roaming millennial and shoeonhead have audiences is because the chuds find them cute.

That and just another token to scratch off the list.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I wonder if Roaming Millenial thinks White people are oppressed? :thunk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean she'd be right, though she'd probably misidentify the culprit as black people rather than other white people.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I mean she'd be right, though she'd probably misidentify the culprit as black people rather than other white people.

Well yeah, that was the point. ;)

edit: wow look at all those famous Lefty youtubers in the comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Had roaming millennial and millennial woes confused, so when people started calling RM cute I was seriously concerned for them.

• Locked thread