Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BrianWilly posted:

It looks to me like Tony is going to be in Wakanda as well. Well, either it’s him, or a remote-controlled Hulkbuster suit.

For all the talk of things Snyder hosed up, I don’t think enough attention is given to just how much he hosed up Lois Lane as well.

What? I loved that Lois. She was proactive and badass and a real investigative journalist and figured out Superman's identity before Superman himself even did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
As soon as someone says "I followed the obvious clues to find out that you're Superman" I feel like the rest of the universe hits a brick wall. Shouldn't everyone know it then? I mean in this day and age, there's no way he would be able to protect it. Lois Lane isn't the only good reporter in the world. I mean sure Justice League doesn't seem to care much for secret identities, but I can't tell if that's just the movie being bad or a conscious decision.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it can still work if you make it so that Superman gets a lot better at hiding it afterwards.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I like to assume that everybody at the Daily Planet totally knows and that being assigned to Perry White's floor means that you have just been approved for a dual major in journalism and keeping secrets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SonicRulez posted:

As soon as someone says "I followed the obvious clues to find out that you're Superman" I feel like the rest of the universe hits a brick wall. Shouldn't everyone know it then? I mean in this day and age, there's no way he would be able to protect it. Lois Lane isn't the only good reporter in the world. I mean sure Justice League doesn't seem to care much for secret identities, but I can't tell if that's just the movie being bad or a conscious decision.

Someone from Smallville posts a picture of Superman on facebook. facebook asks that person if they want to tag Clark Kent.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Spacebump posted:

Someone from Smallville posts a picture of Superman on facebook. facebook asks that person if they want to tag Clark Kent.

Lex Luthor and Mark Zuckerberg played by the same guy. Checks out.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The whole experimental bullet story line is deeply boring though.

There are so many interesting ways that the film could have utilized Lois, and they have her essentially running in place with a storyline that has no real progression or momentum. Lois doesn't change or grow as a result of her adventure, or have any inner conflict that isn't resolved in the same scene as it's introduced.

But that's most of the film though; wheel spinning, with lots of plot, and very little character development.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who else can explain Martha tho

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

teagone posted:

In BvS Lex uses Lois as bait to frame Superman in the Africa sequence, which eventually leads to Lex "framing" Superman again for the bombing. Lois is the one who uncovers this, so I'd argue she was pretty essential for one of the major plot points of the film. I'll agree about her role in Justice League though, but Whedon butchered her part anyways so :shrug:

Why? Because Adams wouldn't sleep with him?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Spacebump posted:

Honestly, the debate about Clark Kent being obviously Superman really seems to come down to the viewer assuming all the things the audience sees should be obvious to the characters too. I don't know what every local reporter looks like and if I did, my thought wouldn't be "that guy's Superman." At best, it'd be "anyone tell you that you kinda look like Superman? Haha what a coincidence"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I still think Reeve had the right idea. Make it all in the physicality so that no one would even entertain the possibility Clark Kent could be anything like Supes.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

One of the big problems tha BvS has is that Superman doesn't really have much of a character in that film. All we know about him is that he is in a sexual relationship with Lois, that he loves him mother and that he is terrible at his job.

We actually learn a lot about Superman in BvS. We know that while he likes saving people, but we also know he's struggling with just how much he should be doing. He wants to help, but he's burdened by the knowledge that all of his actions have direct consequences. We know he feels very uncomfortable with the attention he's getting. We know he cares about the poor and the destitute, we know he feels strongly about having their voices heard. BvS ultimately portrays him as a man who's trying to do the right thing, but isn't sure how to.

But yes, the theatrical cut does leave out a lot of the Clark Kent stuff, which I feel was a mistake to take out. But to go back to that discussion for a second, I'm not sure exactly what was mandated had to be in the movie. Leaving out the JL stuff makes the most sense, as they feel the most tacked on, but I got the feeling that their inclusion was non negotiable. And besides, Wonder Womans did steal the show, so I feel her addition was well worth it.

Can you cut doomsday out? In my opinion, not really. BvS is heavily inspired by Excalibur and the Fisher king myth, and even beyond that, Supermans death was clearly going to have consequences beyond BvS in future films. Removing Doomsday means throwing that out, and if you're trying to lead up to a JL movie the death of Superman is as good a jump of point as any.

One of the things I really like about BvS and MoS is that it doesn't play in to the typical superhero fantasy. Superman is a terrifying concept, and Snyder doesn't try to shy away from that. MoS and BvS are not empowered superhero fantasies, but rather show that being Superman can be a heavy burden. I like that it takes itself seriously, and it takes the viewer seriously as well. Most of Marvels movies has this ironic detachment which has gotten very old at this point.

Anyway, dem's my two cents.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

teagone posted:

In BvS Lex uses Lois as bait to frame Superman in the Africa sequence, which eventually leads to Lex "framing" Superman again for the bombing. Lois is the one who uncovers this, so I'd argue she was pretty essential for one of the major plot points of the film.

I could be wrong, because gently caress BvS there's no way I'm going back to rewatch it and check, but doesn't Lois's investigation eventually amount to nothing because, while she discovers what's happening for the audience's benefit, she gets kidnapped before she can tell anyone and then Lex goes ahead and tells Superman anyway?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
For gently caress's sake y'all! Clark Kent subtly vibrates his face when taking photos so that they'll come out slightly distorted and not as recognizable as Superman!! Get your facts straight!!!11 :argh:

JT Smiley posted:

Hey, Zod really needed to take her aboard his ship otherwise.... Umm....
Well, ostensibly he needed to probe her mind to find out about Kal-El’s rocket.

Why he couldn’t have gotten that info from Superman himself is...uh...yeah I dunno. :sweatdrop:

Honestly, that sort of thing bothers me a lot less than how...milquetoast...they made her overall. There’s no fire, no snappiness, no attitude. The only thing we see her do at her job is to get chewed out by her boss a couple of times and then fail to publish a story. Of course we understand why she wouldn’t publish it, but that doesn’t help sell any impressions of this woman as a tough-as-nails go-getter who’s on top of her game.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I could be wrong, because gently caress BvS there's no way I'm going back to rewatch it and check, but doesn't Lois's investigation eventually amount to nothing because, while she discovers what's happening for the audience's benefit, she gets kidnapped before she can tell anyone and then Lex goes ahead and tells Superman anyway?
And then this.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 1, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You could cut Doomsday out and just have Batman kill Superman at the end, then realise what a terrible mistake he made.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Monaghan posted:

Have to agree with this. The fight between batman and superman in bvs felt so contrived. It always felt like there was a hundred different ways it could have gone differently and batman and superman wouldn't have fought each other. However, they managed to end up fighting each other because they both seem to be morons who are incapable of using simple reasoning or talking things out.

CW by contrast, the fight between tony and steve feels deserved and understandable. Cap tries to reason with tony. Tony's understandably super pissed off and doesn't care that Bucky was brainwashed at the time. Cap doesn't want to see his friend getting captured or killed for poo poo that wasn't really his fault. It feels like the whole movies been leading up to this is and it is the climax of the film. BVS has to thrown in doomsday in there, which that plot of in and of itself leads to an entirely different host of problems.

The fight between Clark and Bruce has all the elements required to be "deserved" or "understandable" presented in BvS the same as CW sets up the fight between Cap/Bucky against Stark. Bruce and Clark are not relegated to mere morons as you say; their motivations are clear and explicit, and the film (I'm referring to the Ultimate Edition) has momentous setups for their eventual showdown. Say what you will about the film's presentation of their conflict, but the narrative between and around that conflict is consistent and logical.

There's also a great scene in BvS Ultimate Edition that sums why "talking things out" wouldn't have worked, that embellishes Bruce's characterization in BvS as being a man without (or who lost) reason. After Clark sees the photos of a dead inmate with Batman's brand on his chest, Clark tracks down his girlfriend — should note that the the Ultimate Edition does a significantly better job showing how Lex is manipulating this conflict. During the scene Clark pleads to let him help that inmate's girlfriend find justice for the death of her boyfriend, and she says "With what? Your pen? Words don't stop a man like that. You know what does? A fist." I've timestamped the scene below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCik5tlh3m8&t=184s

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Fangz posted:

You could cut Doomsday out and just have Batman kill Superman at the end, then realise what a terrible mistake he made.

There's no way this works I think. Studio execs would be terrified, and justifiably so, that they just poisoned the Batman character with the audience.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Yes. Lois has two big chances to demonstrate agency and importance and they’re both subverted in favour of making her a damsel in distress again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I know they’re not doing this, but what if Marvel was just straight up lying about some of the movies they’ve got planned down the pipe and ended up killing Ant-Man in IW.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't imagine how Superman is a terrifying concept unless you're a really harsh cynic. I guess that's why I don't like MoS and felt lukewarm about BvS. Kind man who uses his immense power to save lives because he loves the world and its people is uplifting. Superman is for children, drat it.

If anything, I appreciate the tone of the MCU when it comes to accepting the absurd fantasy of the universe. The other Defenders make cracks at Matt for his costume, but they also appreciate that they live in a universe where that's a common enough thing at this point. Nobody gives Spider-Man any grief. I dunno, it just feels like "bleak" and "serious" don't have to mean the same thing.

nerdman42 posted:

Honestly, the debate about Clark Kent being obviously Superman really seems to come down to the viewer assuming all the things the audience sees should be obvious to the characters too. I don't know what every local reporter looks like and if I did, my thought wouldn't be "that guy's Superman." At best, it'd be "anyone tell you that you kinda look like Superman? Haha what a coincidence"

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief of course, that's the entry fee for Superman. When any Superman media makes a plot point out of it though, I have no choice but to be sucked out of it. If Lois can figure it out for any reason other than him telling her, I have to assume other people could as well. I think it's better to just not go there.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

mikeraskol posted:

There's no way this works I think. Studio execs would be terrified, and justifiably so, that they just poisoned the Batman character with the audience.

Enh, everyone knows Superman is coming back. It just sets up a natural arc for Justice League of "Batman Atones For His Crimes". Have Wayne visit Martha and get forgiven at the end or something. Big hug and cry moment.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

nerdman42 posted:

I totally get what you're saying, but it's 2017, people don't need to know what Clark Kent looks like to reverse image search a picture of Superman.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah there's so many consequences that Supermans death has, like the literal one throwaway line in SS and that's literally it, that is quite literally the only actual real fallout from his death in the dceu

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He’s literally been dead for one movie timeline-wise. Give it some room to breathe ffs

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

Well, ostensibly he needed to probe her mind to find out about Kal-El’s rocket.

She knows all about kals rocket :grin:

fruit on the bottom posted:

I know they’re not doing this, but what if Marvel was just straight up lying about some of the movies they’ve got planned down the pipe and ended up killing Ant-Man in IW.

I don't... why would you think this?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lois' investigation revealed the great (and insane or "psychotic") lengths Lex went through in order to setup the conflict between Batman and Superman, the point and namesake of the film. She uncovered the truth to prove Superman's innocence, but before she could get it out there Lex kidnapped her because the guy is always several steps ahead of everyone in the film; dude plays everyone like a fiddle. Lois wanted Swanwick (now Secretary of Defense) to go public with the information she had as well, but he refused since the information was classified.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

site posted:

She knows all about kals rocket :grin:

I don't... why would you think this?

I know they’re not doing this. But it would be one hell of a misdirect.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

It would also be dumb and cheap because it would literally be a mistake, which is something that BvS fucks up but CW gets right: the final fight of Batman v Superman only comes about because one party is being violently coerced into it and the other has been lied to to such an extent that their grievance is false, whereas the final fight of Civil War only comes about after all lies are revealed and represents an actual emotional conflict that can't be worked past. The "Martha!" scene is awful because it's just loving awful -- like, holy gently caress is that awful, why didn't a studio suit step in and stop Snyder -- but it's also awful because the whole thing could be, and eventually is, settled by someone explaining to Batman why Superman is fighting, which is just weak as all hell. There is not, fundamentally, any real ideological or emotional conflict that can't be settled with calm words. Zach Snyder went to enormous effort to accidentally recreate one of those stupid cliche misunderstandings that everyone complains about that cause superheroes to fight each other, and revealed it in one of the dumbest scenes in superhero moviedom.

At the pinnacle of CW, Iron Man finally has all the lies stripped away and the truths revealed to him, and it drives him off the loving cliff. He knows Cap's arguments, he understands them completely, but gently caress you, that guy killed his mom. The ideological conflict is abandoned, but the emotional one remains and it's a loving powerful one.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 1, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

teagone posted:

Lois' investigation revealed the great (and insane or "psychotic") lengths Lex went through in order to setup the conflict between Batman and Superman
Yes, but it literally doesn't matter at all because she doesn't tell anyone involved in the conflict. Every time she tries to do anything with the information the movie instantly cuts the legs out from under her, to no real benefit that I can see. She discovers that Lex is crazy, which Lex immediately stomps on by just, y'know, being crazy. She exists in the plot primarily to get monologued at.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

I can't imagine how Superman is a terrifying concept unless you're a really harsh cynic. I guess that's why I don't like MoS and felt lukewarm about BvS. Kind man who uses his immense power to save lives because he loves the world and its people is uplifting. Superman is for children, drat it.

If anything, I appreciate the tone of the MCU when it comes to accepting the absurd fantasy of the universe. The other Defenders make cracks at Matt for his costume, but they also appreciate that they live in a universe where that's a common enough thing at this point. Nobody gives Spider-Man any grief. I dunno, it just feels like "bleak" and "serious" don't have to mean the same thing.

This is just another way of saying "not my Superman" so you know. Quoting Megaman's Jockstrap's post from the CineD Justice League movie thread regarding this because it's really good:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

People fundamentally don't like the Snyder DCEU movies because they are very explicit about how being exemplary and carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders is fundamentally about making sacrifices.

This is his entire oeuvre, it's his one theme he keeps going back to: that people have to make extraordinary concessions to achieve greatness. Whether it's participate in a baby-killing fascist military dictatorship and die to the man defending a strategic pass (300), live in isolation, blow up New York and kill innocent millions (Watchmen), sacrifice your sense of self via lobotomy to help your friend escape the patriarchy (Sucker Punch), or lose your entire planet and terminate the last remnant of your civilization with your own hands for being hopelessly genocidal and corrupt (Superman) being "heroic" kind of sucks. Even Snyder's animated Owl Movie For The Kids has the rookie audience-insert character meet a legendary grizzled old warrior whose crippled, covered in scars and has trouble getting around and is profoundly disappointing, and the old warrior's response is like "yeah, this is what being a warrior does to you, breaks your body, fighting isn't glamorous it's just something you do for the right reasons and it takes a toll".

So of course Snyder taints these power fantasies with the (IMO very true) sour aspects of heroism and how it grinds down the heroic and it's fundamentally disturbing when every other movie in the genre is a saturday morning cartoon about how great it would be to have a gun that automatically targets and kills all the bad guys and the only real threat is that the wrong people may get their hands on it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 1, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's really not "not my Superman" because I'm talking about someone's interpretation of the concept of Superman. Not Snyder's vision. Quoting that CineD just reminds me of how much of the zeitgeist behind these films is trying to feel smarter than someone else. Do you really think "the chains of heroism" is something that escaped me when I watched Man of Steel or Batman v Superman? It didn't. Since it's also on the page, that's very much what's going on in Civil War. The Marvel movie just made that message also interesting and fun to watch instead of boring and drab.

Snyder can have his drab and charisma-less Superman if he wants. I can judge the films based on that. Don't tell me that's the way Superman should be portrayed because the concept of Superman is inherently terrifying though. It's not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

teagone posted:

This is just another way of saying "not my Superman" so you know. Quoting Megaman's Jockstrap's post from the CineD Justice League movie thread regarding this because it's really good:

Oh awesome, another post about how all the haters just don't "get it," that'll really endear people to your argument

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Really?

Imagine if it was revealed tomorrow that we have proof of intelligent alien life. That in of itself could irrevocably change human culture forever, it is something so titanic in proportion we have no idea how it would change our culture. People flip out over bacteria on mars, can you imagine how we would react if there was a alien here? On earth?

And add to that, that this alien could on his own decimate New York, and there's nothing we could do about it.

Yeah, he's a terrifying concept alright. The thing is, Lex Luthor's point of view is not entirely unreasonable, and the movie doesn't shy away from that.

It would also be dumb and cheap because it would literally be a mistake, which is something that BvS fucks up but CW gets right: the final fight of Batman v Superman only comes about because one party is being violently coerced into it and the other has been lied to to such an extent that their grievance is false, whereas the final fight of Civil War only comes about after all lies are revealed and represents an actual emotional conflict that can't be worked past. The "Martha!" scene is awful because it's just loving awful -- like, holy gently caress is that awful, why didn't a studio suit step in and stop Snyder -- but it's also awful because the whole thing could be, and eventually is, settled by someone explaining to Batman why Superman is fighting, which is just weak as all hell. There is not, fundamentally, any real ideological or emotional conflict that can't be settled with calm words. Zach Snyder went to enormous effort to accidentally recreate one of those stupid cliche misunderstandings that everyone complains about that cause superheroes to fight each other, and revealed it in one of the dumbest scenes in superhero moviedom.

I feel like you didn't get Batmans grievance here. This wasn't something that could they could just talk about. Batmans grievence is not false, Luthor just gave batman a little nudge off the cliff, but Batman was already standing at the precipice at that point. The mental trauma of zods attack sent batman into a mental tailspain, and the only thing that could break him out of this terrible cycle was a fullblown PTSD attack and the realization that he grew up to become his parents murderer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

I feel like you didn't get Batmans grievance here.

Okay, come the gently caress on guys, find a new line of reasoning because this one is profoundly insulting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
2 deep 4 me

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arist posted:

Oh awesome, another post about how all the haters just don't "get it," that'll really endear people to your argument

No, it's a good post about why a lot of people likely don't or can't connect with Snyder's version of Superman. And I'm not trying to endear anyone to anything. I'm just presenting what I think is good reasoning.

SonicRulez posted:

It's really not "not my Superman" because I'm talking about someone's interpretation of the concept of Superman. Not Snyder's vision. Quoting that CineD just reminds me of how much of the zeitgeist behind these films is trying to feel smarter than someone else. Do you really think "the chains of heroism" is something that escaped me when I watched Man of Steel or Batman v Superman? It didn't. Since it's also on the page, that's very much what's going on in Civil War. The Marvel movie just made that message also interesting and fun to watch instead of boring and drab.

Snyder can have his drab and charisma-less Superman if he wants. I can judge the films based on that. Don't tell me that's the way Superman should be portrayed because the concept of Superman is inherently terrifying though. It's not.

The point of that post wasn't patronizing or whatever condescending tone you might find it to have for whatever reason. I brought it up because I think it's a good explanation as to why a lot of people don't like or connect with Snyder's iteration of Superman's character, which is quite literally what you posted: "I guess that's why I don't like MoS and felt lukewarm about BvS. Kind man who uses his immense power to save lives because he loves the world and its people is uplifting. Superman is for children, drat it." In no way am I or Megaman's Jockstrap saying Snyder's version is the way Superman should be portrayed, only that its an iteration of the character that upends the material in favor of something that's more tonally serious.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 1, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What if Superman was a conservative and liked helping people but also had strong opinions on supply-side economics and gay marriage

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pretty much every post defending Snyder's DC movies contain some variant of "People just don't like or get what Snyder's themes are"

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Roth posted:

Pretty much every post defending Snyder's DC movies contain some variant of "People just don't like or get what Snyder's themes are"

In time you will join us in the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Roth posted:

There's a big difference between stating that everyone that didn't like Snyders movies "didn't get it" and saying "I don't think you quite got that right" when they start saying wildly inaccurate stuff, like calling Pa Kent a child murderer, for instance.

• Locked thread