Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OldMemes posted:

I did my first academic conference recently and presented a paper on Twin Peaks, so that was fun.

As much as I'd like season 4, I think the current ending works perfectly, and season 3 was kind of lighting in a bottle that could only work in those exact circumstances. The fact that it all came together like it did is a part of why it's so impressive. Cooper as the tragic hero, who is either destroyed by Judy, or outsmarts her, depending on your interpretation, just works so well with his character arc.

Cooper is naive and idealistic to a fault, and that's what makes him so likable. He spends twenty-five years in another dimension, a few weeks in a dream, then as soon as he wakes up is straight back to business. I do wish Kyle Maclachlan had been able to play restored Cooper for a bit longer before the Richard scenes. The way he delivers the "100%" and "Are you Freddy?" lines is almost seamless with his protrayal in the original show.
You should share your paper! I'd love to take a look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
If there is a new season, I hope in mode and style it's like episode 18. It doesn't even need to take place in Twin Peaks, I don't care. Cooper-as-Richard, as a 50's film noir anti-hero, drifting along freeways and stopping in small town diners, deep-frying locals' guns, in some quixotic quest to banish a vague evil force. His expectations thwarted by Chalfonts and Tremonds and smokey hobos lurking around corners. Telling elusive femme fatales, "kiss me" as they double and change names and hair styles and become more and more incomprehensible and tragic. Each time he helps it's revealed that he's only done harm. This is what I'd like to see.

Mr. Grumpybones fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 15, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I never want a season 4. 3 was perfection, best TV I've seen in maybe a decade.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
I would love a season 4 that has nothing at all to do with any of the previous canon. Just a whole new loving trip

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I just want david lynch to make a season of television starring kyle maclachlan that can be about whatever he wants and I'd be good with that

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

romanowski posted:

I just want david lynch to make a season of television starring kyle maclachlan that can be about whatever he wants and I'd be good with that
A David Lynch season of Portlandia

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Merkinman posted:

A David Lynch season of Portlandia

The Mayor hires the Mitchum Brothers and together they try to stop an international conflict after his accidental purchasing of “fireworks” off the deep web.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

HD DAD posted:

The Mayor hires the Mitchum Brothers and together they try to stop an international conflict after his accidental purchasing of “fireworks” off the deep web.

Candace comes back with information about a missing freegan after being pulled into a wormhole behind women and women first.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Raxivace posted:

You should share your paper! I'd love to take a look at it.

It's still a work in progress and I'm thinking about publishing eventually, so thanks for the interest, but I'm gonna keep it under wraps for now. I did make several Cooper flowcharts for the presentation.

As much as Twin peaks was Lynch and Frost's work, Kyle MacLachlan just ran with it this season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna spend the rest of the year annoying you guys to vote for TP in the TVIV best TV poll this year. You have to post a top 10 list but I'm sure all but the absolute worst "oh all tv is poo poo except this which is REAL ART' people could come up with another nine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HD DAD posted:

Not sure you would want one of them on your tv show right now

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Those of you with Filmstruck, they just added Fire Walk With Me, in addition to The Missing Pieces.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Does anyone have a link to the video where Cole's "best one liners" are edited together? I remember it starts off with "The Congressman's Dilema" and "The policeman's Dream" and goes though a bunch of others including "He's Dead" and I think ends on "What the Hell?" I've tried searching with no luck, hoping one of you knows what I'm talking aboot :(

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lmao
https://twitter.com/ShaneWatch/status/935265869369712641

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
CBS Home Ent are meant to be sending me a free blu and I really hope it has that

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
This is so great

https://www.facebook.com/TwinPeaksOnShowtime/videos/1721784911185813/

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Best thing I've watched in weeks

Makes me realize how much I miss this show and how lucky we really were to get a brief David Lynch Renaissance from Memorial Day to Labor Day, week by week. Doubt anything like that will ever happen again..

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

GOT A KNIFE?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

If there is a new season, I hope in mode and style it's like episode 18. It doesn't even need to take place in Twin Peaks, I don't care. Cooper-as-Richard, as a 50's film noir anti-hero, drifting along freeways and stopping in small town diners, deep-frying locals' guns, in some quixotic quest to banish a vague evil force. His expectations thwarted by Chalfonts and Tremonds and smokey hobos lurking around corners. Telling elusive femme fatales, "kiss me" as they double and change names and hair styles and become more and more incomprehensible and tragic. Each time he helps it's revealed that he's only done harm. This is what I'd like to see.

Yeah Ep 18 was very No Country for Old Men, crossed with absurdist Kafka touches. Extremely my poo poo.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The more I think about Season as a whole, in retrospect, the more and more I like it.

I've always been a fan of the so-called "boring" scenes - stuff that often gets described as "going on too long". I think my favorite may have been the scene with Gordon and the model/prostitute/whatever she was. All the... strangely inexplicably odd touches that had nothing much to do with anything - like the Asian girl with glasses at the roadhouse who crawls along the floor before screaming. Ed drinking soup forlornly. Weird CGI touches where you just don't know how you're supposed to react to what you're seeing - I realized the other day that in retrospect all the weird gunshot effects and bizarre stop-motion/hand-made-looking CGI and whatnot was just a form of stylization, as much as the gleaming wood in the Great Northern or the red curtains in the Black Lodge, it's all part and parcel of the whole crazy goddamn package.

I'm reminded of moments like the French woman and older man at Irene's Diner in FWWM. "Are you talking about that little girl that got killed?" and she whispers to him "la nuit et le bon moment" which could be roughly translated as "night time is the right time" or literally translated as "The night is the good moment". It never failed to creep me out, her whispering that.

I suppose that's why I got exasperated during the season when people complained about the "boring" stuff, because I really do love that "boring" stuff. It sort of... I just wish we had so much more of that approach in film today. Nearly every single show on television just so often seems obsessed with maintaining a very particular kind of pacing. It seems to me like SO much of that pacing was dictated by the timing and placement of commercial breaks. We're at a point right now where probably the majority of people making television right now have the ability to cast off those restrictions and totally freestyle with episode length based on the demands of the story, but they don't.

Actually, it's a good point because I feel like Season 3 got chopped at some weird points for episode breaks, as I've expressed before, just to make each 'episode' the same approximate length. Episode 8 should have begun with the Nuclear detonation for example, most likely - the first 15 minutes literally felt both in tone and presentation like what should have been the final 15 minutes of episode 7, complete with musical performance. But it doesn't really bother me much.

I want to commend the Netflix show "The OA" (which I sincerely liked a lot more than most people including the ending I guess). But they totally freestyled with Episode length, and it was fantastic - like some episodes were 70-80 minutes long, some were only 30 minutes long, some were 40-60... But it wasn't as if any one episode felt especially longer or shorter than another, because each one was long as it needed be in terms of the storytelling and the pacing and the structure of the episode and so on. Very refreshing to see. I wonder if Lynch would have done that if he could've, I still say something about how some of the episodes are cut seems hinky to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think that cut from the Nine Inch Nails to the nuclear bomb was amazing. I loved how it played with episode expectations (performance at the end!!) and then kept going

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't love it, or think it was awesome being situated that way. But I also think that the Nine Inch Nails performance in general was just awesome, and that Episode 7 would have just had a *really* awesome ending with the Woodsman Ritual/Mr. C revival and TNIN song, and then Episode 8 would have frankly been great with or without the first 15 minutes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As long as the implication that the Nine Inch Nails were able to bring Mr. C back to life exists, Twin Peaks is a masterpiece in my eyes.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Curious how you guys feel about Tammy now that the show has been done for a while now. Like Kaworu was saying about the supposedly boring scenes, I started appreciating her a lot by the end and in retrospect I love her character.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I like some of her mannerisms but she barely even feels like a character to me. I got more out of the horn honking lady.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't understand why they were watching her in high school

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well, the thing is, she made the honor roll.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quote-Unquote posted:

GOT A KNIFE?

She rules

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Maybe she did a science project on Tulpas?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Perhaps the spirits of the Lodge can be tamed with the power of jazz?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't understand why they were watching her in high school

They went to the Roy Moore School of Law Enforcement?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Short but cool clip of Carel Struycken (The Fireman) rehearsing his backwards lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-WW8V8nD5E

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

reminding myself that some dude posted videos of himself doing different accents on youtube and david lynch liked him so much that he hired him to come on his highly anticipated television series to put on a rubber gardening glove and punch the most evil force in the universe to death

I love this show :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you think about it, it's not so different from a set dresser getting caught in the shot and David Lynch liking him so much he made him the most evil force in the universe, but I'm now also imagining if David Lynch was really into lovely toys and had come across Ashens.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

thank god david lynch isn't a gamer

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
*table adorned with a puke inducing arrangement of Mountain Dew and Doritos*
Gordon Cole: The Gamer’s Dream!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

*Scorpion tears Raiden's skeleton out through his mouth*
Gordon Cole: He's dead

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Short but cool clip of Carel Struycken (The Fireman) rehearsing his backwards lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-WW8V8nD5E

even though I know this is exactly how they do it this is still so very cool to see done

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

acksplode posted:

*Scorpion tears Raiden's skeleton out through his mouth*
Gordon Cole: He's dead

This would own actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hey goons, I matched with a girl on tinder who had the common facebook interest of Twin Peaks. Her profile asked the question "what is your favorite emoji?"
I sent her the message "(-: ALL" and got no response. Whats wrong with her and how many days should I wait before asking her out to coffee and cherry pie?

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 2, 2017