Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rolo posted:

It definitely scratches a mental itch and I used to request any and all soldering projects at my old job.
I do a lot of little electronics things because it's fun/relaxing. Stripping wires, soldering, pcb layout (ok that one's not little).

Bought the only thing that matters in this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I bought a 2001 Honda accord with brand new tires on it for $1000 on Saturday and it only needed $22 in parts to get the AC working so that is my favorite recent purchase

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Donations to some of our favorite charities and non-profits:

Wikimedia
https://donate.wikimedia.org

Community Solutions
https://fundraise.community.solutions/checkout/donation?eid=80514

Madre
https://www.madre.org/donate

MSF/Doctors Without Borders
https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

A bunch of Lush products for my wife for Christmas.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I bought a 23 and Me kit for my gf since it was 50% off for Black Friday, she is adopted and had been talking about trying it for a bit. This will be an exciting Christmas. Is it weird if she opens it in front of her adopted family? Maybe! Dun dun duuuuun...

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

Bought the only thing that matters in this world

If you can stomach going to one, the HotTopic exclusive ones are flocked so they're all fuzzy :kimchi:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
More thrift shop finds on my quest to live in the 80s:
Licensed to Ill (original tape!)

Vintage Member's Only jacket

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Coffee And Pie posted:

nice!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Bought a 6 qt Instant Pot because it's Amazon's deal of the day. Gonna make some chili when I get it.

Got a recipe? I've got a 6qt pressure cooker and I'm thinking of making some this week. Might as well give it a trial run.

NewFatMike posted:

I'm getting one for Christmas and I've been monomaniacallly researching recipes. You can put an entire turkey in the 8qt one. That rules.

But, how do you get the turkey back out? Is it big enough to lay down, or is it like, in with the drumsticks poking upwards?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I got it today and I just used one of the prepackaged seasonings with a pound of ground beef, large can of tomatoes, smoke andouille sausage, and a bunch of serrano and a couple habanero peppers. Ate it with some brown rice and liked it a lot. Not an amazing recipe but I just wanted to see how easy it was to use. It's real easy.

You can also get perfect soft boiled eggs by doing high pressure for 3 minutes and then putting the eggs in ice water for a couple more minutes. I can do like 12 eggs at a time now. So much power.

I don't know about cooking whole turkeys or chickens though. The skin will be gross and slimy.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Nov 29, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know about cooking whole turkeys or chickens though. The skin will be gross and slimy.

You are supposed to brown chicken beforehand if you plan to simmer/boil it. And even then the skin will be a bit gross. But the meat will be super tender and it's easy to debone it then.

I simmered 2 whole chicken in christmas beer last week. Slowly cooked for 2 hours, deboned, using the caracass, skin and beer to make a broth, separated the broth fat and reduced it to a sauce. It was divine.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Speaking of pressure cooking, I finally bit the bullet and got this (in)famous old pressure fryer off of eBay:

It's supposed to make absolutely divine fried chicken, but I haven't tried it yet, since (a) we just had Thanksgiving and I should probably cool it with the overindulgence for, I don't know, at least a week and (b) I'm waiting to have company over before I break it in, since I might need someone to drive me to the hospital.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We had one growing up. Makes such good chicken. I’m jealous. Although I always stayed out of the kitchen when they used it because I didn’t want to get showered with scalding oil when it finally blew up. But still. Great chicken.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So after Amazon gave me that free grinder that was supposed to be part of my xmas gift, I had to find something else.

I got this thing (not free sadly! but ~400$ for about 1000$ worth of espresso goodness (free grinder + pretty good deal on this) sure is nice)

Pastry of the Year posted:

Speaking of pressure cooking, I finally bit the bullet and got this (in)famous old pressure fryer off of eBay:

It's supposed to make absolutely divine fried chicken, but I haven't tried it yet, since (a) we just had Thanksgiving and I should probably cool it with the overindulgence for, I don't know, at least a week and (b) I'm waiting to have company over before I break it in, since I might need someone to drive me to the hospital.

Wow. That very concept is pretty new to me. I can't imagine how fatty yet delicious chicken that thing can produce. Try not to get killed by shrapnel and boiling oil when it explodes though :(

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Nov 29, 2017

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Solid Cake posted:

If you can stomach going to one, the HotTopic exclusive ones are flocked so they're all fuzzy :kimchi:
Went to two different Targets trying to find the one with the open mouth, no dice. We were pretty dejected so we didn't try the HT because the flocked ones are probably long gone as well :saddowns:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

Wow. That very concept is pretty new to me. I can't imagine how fatty yet delicious chicken that thing can produce. Try not to get killed by shrapnel and boiling oil when it explodes though :(

It's apparently quite safe as long as you follow the instructions and use common sense, but I might dig my old fencing mask out of storage just in case.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Got a recipe? I've got a 6qt pressure cooker and I'm thinking of making some this week. Might as well give it a trial run.

But, how do you get the turkey back out? Is it big enough to lay down, or is it like, in with the drumsticks poking upwards?

Drumsticks are higher up, the recipe I came across said 11lb max I believe, so not like the most giant birds.

A lot of folks set the thing to sautee to brown the skin and then do magic. Some broil to brown the skin then move it to the pot.

I was really interested in sous vide, but I think I'll get a lot more mileage out of the instant pot, I'm very excited.

E: one such recipe for an 8lb turkey:

https://www.baconismagic.ca/canada/instant-pot-turkey/

These are out for delivery today! HifiMan HE 4XX. I'm very excited.

NewFatMike has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Nov 29, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

NewFatMike posted:

Drumsticks are higher up, the recipe I came across said 11lb max I believe, so not like the most giant birds.

A lot of folks set the thing to sautee to brown the skin and then do magic. Some broil to brown the skin then move it to the pot.

I was really interested in sous vide, but I think I'll get a lot more mileage out of the instant pot, I'm very excited.

E: one such recipe for an 8lb turkey:

https://www.baconismagic.ca/canada/instant-pot-turkey/

These are out for delivery today! HifiMan HE 4XX. I'm very excited.

Should be good. I've always toyed with picking up some orthos. One day I'll probably get some retarded electrostatic cans just because I have an insatiable appetite for weird electronic curiosities.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But still. Great chicken.

These will probably be my last words.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Can it make chicken fingats?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Coffee And Pie posted:

Steve is packing oh my.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Steve is packing oh my.

Yeah that looks painful

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

Went to two different Targets trying to find the one with the open mouth, no dice. We were pretty dejected so we didn't try the HT because the flocked ones are probably long gone as well :saddowns:

The ones with the open mouths are supposed to be a rare variant, I'm not surprised you didn't see them (I haven't either). I don't think HT even carries the regular ones, so there is a pretty good change you will find the flocked ones there. I bought one for my desk at work :)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dotard 2: Dot Harder

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LingcodKilla posted:

Steve is packing oh my.

colas posted:

Yeah that looks painful

That's what happens when people with dicks wear high waisted jeans. It's not really painful or anything, and as an added bonus it makes your butt look amazing :ssh:

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

it makes your butt look amazing :ssh:

meh, I still don't fill the butt section

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

colas posted:

meh, I still don't fill the butt section

Heh, I don't fill either section :smuggo:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

High rise jeans don't make male butts look good the same way they don't make female butts look good.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Josh Lyman posted:

High rise jeans don't make male butts look good the same way they don't make female butts look good.

This is a powerfully incorrect opinion but I have to respect it all the same

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I mean if your idea of a good-looking butt is "goes halfway up their back and is so flat you could serve tea on it" then yeah, high-waisted jeans are the poo poo.

Anyway my girlfriend and I bought a Switch as well as Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey a week before she left for a month so the Switch is my new girlfriend now. Also gonna buy a weed vape so I can live the true bachelor lifestyle.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

poop dood posted:

the Switch is my new girlfriend now.

I didn't know that was an option

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
High waisted jeans are supposed to cup the booty, support the booty, and lift the booty.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

colas posted:

I didn't know that was an option

It requires an optional :nws: attachment. :nws:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Black Friday hauls, say you?

x2 for the second and third floor. Whole house has Chromecasts and I have a normal Home in the finished basement and we recently made all the lights down there Philips Hue. Planning to do the rest of the house with them.

Jaybird Freedom F5s. Normally $150, Best Buy had 'em for $50. They have some amazing quality and I love the battery clip.

No images but a shitload of games:
Wolfenstein II (already beat it), Evil Within 2, Watch Dogs 2, Nioh

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What do you think of those F5’s? I had a pair of Bluebuds X until the battery completely died. I was iffy on the X3’s so I’m using PowerBeats 3, but I’m constantly wondering if I have the buyer’s remorse.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

What do you think of those F5’s? I had a pair of Bluebuds X until the battery completely died. I was iffy on the X3’s so I’m using PowerBeats 3, but I’m constantly wondering if I have the buyer’s remorse.

I have a friend who has gone through a pair of X3s and warrantied them, which admittedly their turnaround time is stupid fast (like 3-4 days fast). Regardless he switched to the F5s and said they sound about the same. I've only had these but they're easily the best bluetooth headphones I've ever owned in terms of sound quality. Only thing I'm iffy on is the battery clip being on the back of your neck while working out with sweat and all, but I don't really see it being a huge issue.

E: I'm sure Powerbeats have something similar, but Jaybird has their own app with equalizer presets and Spotify playlists, both which I really appreciate.

Tim Whatley has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Dec 1, 2017

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks. I’m usually outdoors sweating up a storm or in the rain so some form of moisture-resistance is nice.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I got it today and I just used one of the prepackaged seasonings with a pound of ground beef, large can of tomatoes, smoke andouille sausage, and a bunch of serrano and a couple habanero peppers. Ate it with some brown rice and liked it a lot. Not an amazing recipe but I just wanted to see how easy it was to use. It's real easy.

You can also get perfect soft boiled eggs by doing high pressure for 3 minutes and then putting the eggs in ice water for a couple more minutes. I can do like 12 eggs at a time now. So much power.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

We use this recipe, but without any beans: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-chili/ Browning the meat is hard. I might do it in a pan next time. (I won't.) Fish sauce and cocoa powder are really key. I like the andouille sausage approach.

You can put eggs all the way up to the max fill line. We do like 4/4/4 for perfect hard boiled. (5/5/5? I always look it up.) 1c water, as many eggs as you want, 4 minutes high pressure, 4 minute natural release, 4 minutes in an ice bath. The shells come right off, it's amazing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

H110Hawk posted:

Browning the meat is hard. I might do it in a pan next time. (I won't.)

This is the way to go with larger quantities of meat. The saute function works but the electric element just doesn't have enough power to get a good sear going. Brown in the pan, deglaze the pan and throw it all in the pressure cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Geoj posted:

This is the way to go with larger quantities of meat. The saute function works but the electric element just doesn't have enough power to get a good sear going. Brown in the pan, deglaze the pan and throw it all in the pressure cooker.

Is it too much to ask for a 3-4 kw electric pressure cooker?