Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm not even sure if mtx carries over.

It doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

So I have a few builds I'm thinking of trying out for the Abyss league: Glacial Cascade Saboteur, Righteous Fire Chieftain, Righteous Fire Berserker, Essence Drain Trickster. I'm equally invested in the idea of all four so I'm a bit indecisive as to what my first character is going to be. Anything I should watch out for?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

NachtSieger posted:

So I have a few builds I'm thinking of trying out for the Abyss league: Glacial Cascade Saboteur, Righteous Fire Chieftain, Righteous Fire Berserker, Essence Drain Trickster. I'm equally invested in the idea of all four so I'm a bit indecisive as to what my first character is going to be. Anything I should watch out for?

play hardcore and rotate though the builds as they die off :c00l:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

NachtSieger posted:

the patch notes

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Zo posted:

More like "Rotate through them in HC as unexpected maintenance causes downtime in the middle of labs", because week 1 league.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Zo posted:

I'd rather lop my own leg off below the knee than play hardcore.

Mr. Despair posted:

the patch notes

Yeah but I want to get my affairs in order so I can properly feel alternating waves of dread and excitement. It is the true MMO experience.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006

George posted:

Shaped Vault, calling it now.

This is such a safe bet. Though, I wonder if the cards will have a reduced drop chance or if the mob density will be lowered because of how good the positioning is.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Trying to decide if I want to play Abyss or if I want to sit it out to conserve hype for the next league. Abyss seems conceptually similar to Breach, and I loving loved getting breaches in maps when I played in 3.0. Curious to see if Bodyswap Totems can be made to be anything other than a wacky gimmick.

vOv fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 30, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm a lot more excited for the prospect of new endgame bosses and a scrambled-up atlas than I am for Abyss league itself (although I guess that includes the Lich bosses as well). My goal is absolutely going to be to farm T17 Elder for fun and hopefully some profit as well.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

vOv posted:

Trying to decide if I want to play Abyss or if I want to sit it out to conserve hype for the next league. Abyss seems conceptually similar to Breach, and I loving loved getting breaches in maps when I played in 3.0. Curious to see if Bodyswap Totems can be made to be anything other than a wacky gimmick.

Abyss looks really good- even if part of that is creating monstrous belt items or using abyss jewels to trivialize the leveling process.

Some of the fun for leagues, is picking up league uniques, and selling them for a small fortune to people who only play standard (here's looking at you Tempest's Binding) for whatever goddamn reason there is to only play standard.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Returning after a couple years away from the game....everything is different. It looks like new season will start in a bit over a week so I'm going to mess around with some of my old builds. Would it be worth making a brand new character and playing through before the season starts to help figure out all the new thing?

Looking at version history I think I stopped shortly after Version 1.1.0 Sacrifice of the Vaal so early 2014. Have ~20 characters ranging from a few abandon early to a couple at 80+ but all have earned free respecs with all the changes.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hoo boy you've got a lot to catch up on

Definitely take one of those old characters and see what the labyrinth is about, and the masters

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

it's been a while since I've played, what's been added in the past few years? anything new I should know about?

I took a screenshot the last time i logged in

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
:laffo:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

it's been a while since I've played, what's been added in the past few years? anything new I should know about?

Same question

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Dang, your guys' game looks wayyyyyy different from when I last played

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

whypick1 posted:

Jeb! Jeb! Jeb!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's been well over 10 years but I think the alpha graphics looked pretty good.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It's amazing how far the games come

e. on a more serious note bearers are getting a visual buff in 3.1 :toot: http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/public/news/2017-11-30/StormBearerVisualEffects.png

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

whypick1 posted:

Please clap.

J
Jun 10, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

Returning after a couple years away from the game....everything is different. It looks like new season will start in a bit over a week so I'm going to mess around with some of my old builds. Would it be worth making a brand new character and playing through before the season starts to help figure out all the new thing?

Looking at version history I think I stopped shortly after Version 1.1.0 Sacrifice of the Vaal so early 2014. Have ~20 characters ranging from a few abandon early to a couple at 80+ but all have earned free respecs with all the changes.

Easiest thing to do to get your bearings before abyss league would be to make a new character and play through again. They've added an absolute ton of content since you last played, and they've actually also added a tutorial system that is half decent. Your old high level characters are probably sitting in the epilogue area right now and I'm not sure how GGG handled the quest completion status for old characters. Trying to rebuild an old character and get it working at a basic level would be more confusing than just starting from scratch at this point.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/7gmt46/tool_poesniper_an_open_source_crossplatform_poe/

Burn the trading to the ground! I may or may not bother using this myself but can't wait for it's effects on the trading api.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
This capability has been out there for a while now, I don't think it'll make any big waves

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dyzzy posted:

This capability has been out there for a while now, I don't think it'll make any big waves

It has, it's being made easier and more public. As more people use this and programs like it, it'll put more strain on the system.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/7gmt46/tool_poesniper_an_open_source_crossplatform_poe/

Burn the trading to the ground! I may or may not bother using this myself but can't wait for it's effects on the trading api.

It was already being used in the beginning of Harbinger

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I heard you like to play Guardian

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/936377958456967168

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kild posted:

It was already being used in the beginning of Harbinger

Yeah I know.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

10% increased mana reserved is a big deal for guardians though isnt it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

that helmet seems really bad

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

This is 3.0, just turn off dynamic resolution

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Duck and Cover posted:

I wrote a really rudimentary tool like this at the end of breach league, not in an effort to buy stuff but I was trying to track which items sold (i.e. they were in the stash tab before, and now they aren't). I wanted to get the trade volume for bases and affixes to know which items I should pick up or not. Ultimately didn't finish the project because :effort:, but I'd like to revisit it some day.

I don't think it consumes 1.5 Mbps to suck down the API though. I had it running for a couple of weeks and never heard anything from Verizon. I was also storing the latest contents of any stash tab that came across the API (temp league sc only) and never broke a Tb.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Andy Dufresne posted:

I wrote a really rudimentary tool like this at the end of breach league, not in an effort to buy stuff but I was trying to track which items sold (i.e. they were in the stash tab before, and now they aren't). I wanted to get the trade volume for bases and affixes to know which items I should pick up or not. Ultimately didn't finish the project because :effort:, but I'd like to revisit it some day.

I don't think it consumes 1.5 Mbps to suck down the API though. I had it running for a couple of weeks and never heard anything from Verizon. I was also storing the latest contents of any stash tab that came across the API (temp league sc only) and never broke a Tb.

Well if you did it in a league with less trade volume than it would be less demanding.

Anyway I'm planning on doing a brain rattler/bringer of rain inquisitor next league that may or may not be capable of stunlocking shaper should be mildly entertaining and fairly cheap.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I was using that tool in Harbinger, kinda surprised people are only now finding out about it since the dude never really made an effort to hide it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I want to make a cyclone character next league. Does anyone bother with any that aren't Ngamahu's? If I do go for Ngamahu's is there a discussion of the pros cons of the various ascendencies for it? It should be nice without requiring a dying sun if these reflect changes are to be believed.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I want to make a cyclone character next league. Does anyone bother with any that aren't Ngamahu's? If I do go for Ngamahu's is there a discussion of the pros cons of the various ascendencies for it? It should be nice without requiring a dying sun if these reflect changes are to be believed.

cyclone is very good for leveling/starting, you can get a super cheap 6L 2h mace with Warlord cards. no need to go ngamahu, even though it rules

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i did kondo's into starforge slayer cyclone and it was good

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

atziri's disfavour is also good for cyclone iirc

also fwiw you can just use a regular ruby flask for ngamahu although it probably wont be as big a deal from now on (and if you do want to try facetanking it it wont matter anyway since they said the mortars will be equally cold/fire/light)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

atziri's disfavour is also good for anything

FTFY

J
Jun 10, 2001

Duck and Cover posted:

Chris Wilson just posted this on reddit, looks like if things like this ever do get too popular they might clamp down on it:

quote:

Please bear in mind that if a lot of people use tools like this, it's going to cause massive load on our servers. Our only option would be to do things like adding caching (slowing everyone's trade data down) or whitelisting just approved community websites. We certainly prefer people to use more centralised sites because we can't support vast quantities of people consuming the trade API simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

J posted:

Chris Wilson just posted this on reddit, looks like if things like this ever do get too popular they might clamp down on it:

They should do exactly that it's kind of stupid that they didn't. Although it does amuse me that people think people don't already have trading advantages. Heh morons.