Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

LostRook posted:

Aren't Gamespot and Kotaku notorious for hating JRPGs that aren't Persona?

Different people review different things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
That's kind of the problem though?

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I think those people may be fixating on things like “10 hours of not particularly helpful tutorials that you cannot even review” than “Injects anime into your eyes”.

I'm hearing different things from different reviewers on that. I know Kotaku and Gamespot complained about it, but I'm not sure the IGN review did, and it didn't seem to be an issue for a few other dudes that reviewed the game on Youtube.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Willias posted:

I'm hearing different things from different reviewers on that. I know Kotaku and Gamespot complained about it, but I'm not sure the IGN review did, and it didn't seem to be an issue for a few other dudes that reviewed the game on Youtube.

As said before, different people have different preferences. I don’t think it is a deal breaker myself but I can understand why people may be annoyed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The game is perfectly playable without understanding all the mechanics and honestly a lot of them are self-explanatory but if you're not familiar with JRPGs it can be easy to see getting overwhelmed by stuff.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

but if you're not familiar with JRPGs it can be easy to see getting overwhelmed by stuff.

Ah, now the problem that Gamespot and Kotaku had is explained.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The good news is that when the general public gets ahold of the game you can just ask other players how things work if you didn't fully grasp something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I'm honest I rather like this particular anime art style :shobon:

(Now how well I tolerate the anime tropes that probably come along for the ride, well, we'll see)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Badingading posted:

Jason Schreier's a JRPG fanboy but he absolutely hated XBC1.

lol that's like assigning a guy who hates metroid to review Fusion, Zero Mission, and Samus Returns. I can't imagine somehow playing and reviewing through 3 iterations of a series you dislike, especially if something like XCX is one of them

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Christ why does he grunt like he’s getting hosed every single time he jumps

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The Nopon diving suits are adorable and further cement my belief that Rex should have been a Nopon.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
Until I bought Setsuna for the switch, I had not played a JRPG in a long time. I still have not finished Setsuna as it was nostalgic but the action was too slow and repetitive. Will X2 keep me more engaged in the story and battles?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looking forward to getting home from work tomorrow and playing the anime titty sword game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Seems good, hopefully you can keep the big boob anime lady in the disguise she wears.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

"It's not anime! It's not anime!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a Nopon

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The English dub was alright until Rex started doing a battle scream and now I wanna download the Japanese dub before I continue

some incidental dialogue like mid/post-battle poo poo isn't subbed but I'm not sure I care

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hell yeah, now it's a Xenoblade game. Got merc'd by a level 81 monster while I was fighting a monster my level.

Also:

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/936507410155429894

Ciaphas posted:

The English dub was alright until Rex started doing a battle scream and now I wanna download the Japanese dub before I continue

some incidental dialogue like mid/post-battle poo poo isn't subbed but I'm not sure I care

Yeah, I couldn't handle it either, I swapped over to Japanese right quick and I feel much better about it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like Nia and Pyra's English voice acting so I guess I'll keep playing with the English track until I'm writing "EASY PEASY" on the walls in my own blood.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Furry Hunter posted:

Until I bought Setsuna for the switch, I had not played a JRPG in a long time. I still have not finished Setsuna as it was nostalgic but the action was too slow and repetitive. Will X2 keep me more engaged in the story and battles?

Setsuna is generally considered really boring and bad so if that was the extent of your problems with it then yeah, you'll probably like this, which just going off the first few hours is a much much better game. Though that said it's a pretty different kind of JRPG from Setsuna. It's action combat not turn based.

Two hours in and the only issues I have are

- the VA and that's growing on me. Somehow. Too much dialogue goes without subs for me to tolerate the Japanese dub though.
- the UI is just kinda... cheap looking and lacking in relevant info.
- short tutorials that poorly explained the more advanced mechanics. And no in game reference guide.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

I like Nia and Pyra's English voice acting so I guess I'll keep playing with the English track until I'm writing "EASY PEASY" on the walls in my own blood.

I agree, but Rex can get a bit questionable at times.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm so bummed about how this looks in handheld. I'd rather have their sub-720 blurry image than the gross sharpening filter they applied that rings every edge.

Docked:
Handheld:

It's like watching a DVD your parents HDTV they never changed the settings on.

edit: Here's some railings you can see it on.

ee: And the uneven italics and kerning is gonna drive me insane.

AHHHHHH!!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 1, 2017

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pants Donkey posted:

If you don't follow that up with "LEMON SQUEEZY" every time you have failed at life.

That said, Rex is likable and not a moody turd so it's all good. His and Nias accents own bones.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Holy poo poo why would you not translate the names back to Japanese for the subtitles :argh:

My Japanese is average at best, so I'm using subs to help out a lot.. it's just really loving annoying when the sub says Pyra and her name is Homura; not to mention everyone else and place names.

Yes I know that's a nerdy :goonsay: but gently caress.. at least make the subs accurate

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just say Paradise instead of the romanised Rakuen (Japanese name for Elysium) :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never seen any game use the Japanese names even in the subs if they've been changed for whatever reason. Worst was Tales of Hearts R because they changed a few peoples names and there was no English dub so you had no choice but to listen to them say one name and read another.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Boo

The worst offender is probably the tiger Byakko and whatever his name is in English. Dorsmach or something.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Honestly I'd just play with the English dub, but the lips are synced to the Japanese dub and THATS annoying as well :argh:

Yes :goonsay:

But still :argh:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Subs are almost always supplemental to the dub (portable Tales aside). It was really obvious in Xenoblade because some of the English lines, and therefore the subtitles, were timed completely differently to the Japanese audio.

Also Xenoblade has always localized aggressively. What gets me isn't that they've changed the names of basically everything, including but not limited to characters, places, rare Blades, Titans, and Proper Nouns (going so far as to change "Grail" to "Aegis" when it's 天の聖杯 to begin with), but that, from the last gameplay video I saw, they didn't bother to not just romanize the Japanese-rear end randomized names of common Blades.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the kotaku review of this is one of the cringiest bitchfests I've ever read

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

DLC Inc posted:

the kotaku review of this is one of the cringiest bitchfests I've ever read

“Wah wah wah it’s not Xenogears wah wah wah”.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gibbering posted:

“Wah wah wah it’s not Xenogears wah wah wah”.

tbh I too wish that more games would crucify their characters in weird cutscenes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't the dub just bad actors reading the subtitles?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

DLC Inc posted:

tbh I too wish that more games would crucify their characters in weird cutscenes

Have you been Saved?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Infinitum posted:

The worst offender is probably the tiger Byakko and whatever his name is in English. Dorsmach or something.
Yeah I think Dorsmach is right? I literally saw him walk in at the very beginning of the game and went "oh hey it's byakko isn't it" and then whoops, nope.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just up to Boss #3 Brighid and oh boy did they kick my rear end something awful. Should have suspected something was up when I tanked my way though the Soldier Group battle before hand.

Then again, I put this down to my own incompitance, Boss #2 kicked my rear end because I kept assuming things worked like XBC1 and artes were timer based not Super Meter based.

DLC Inc posted:

lol that's like assigning a guy who hates metroid to review Fusion, Zero Mission, and Samus Returns. I can't imagine somehow playing and reviewing through 3 iterations of a series you dislike, especially if something like XCX is one of them

Sounds exactly like Gawker's SOP though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 1, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Dromarch. He sounds like Falkor from never ending story in this trailer where he says "Now now my lady."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG8pz9plUQ

Due to the video above, please tell me for the love of all holy that there are not gigantic pauses after two words, then complete a sentence, ala Star Trek Captain Kirk or characters seeming like they are taking a poo poo mid sentence, for the entire game's cut scenes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Utnayan posted:

Dromarch. He sounds like Falkor from never ending story in this trailer where he says "Now now my lady."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG8pz9plUQ

Due to the video above, please tell me for the love of all holy that there are not gigantic pauses after two words, then complete a sentence, ala Star Trek Captain Kirk or characters seeming like they are taking a poo poo mid sentence, for the entire game's cut scenes.

Aww, DoorSmash sounds like a much better name for a tiger.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

How do I download the Japanese audio pack? I can't find any options in the game itself, is it from the eShop?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Corte posted:

How do I download the Japanese audio pack? I can't find any options in the game itself, is it from the eShop?

Yeah, you'll find it on the Eshop's XBC2 page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Aww, DoorSmash sounds like a much better name for a tiger.

Being that I heard a very familiar game of thrones opening in the first few notes of the song that played in that trailer, I would agree. And then tiger comes in to save the day by smashing a door.