Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

MockingQuantum posted:

If it wasn't more than double my budget...

Actually that's not true. I may be the one synth-head I know who does not give a poo poo about Buchla stuff.

same. couldnt give less of a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
If your pissin away tons of money on eurorack you should probably kinda care? From an engineering stand point og buchla is really unique and modern modular manufacturers are not approaching the same levels.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Clavavisage posted:

If your pissin away tons of money on eurorack you should probably kinda care? From an engineering stand point og buchla is really unique and modern modular manufacturers are not approaching the same levels.

Well there is a correlation then, I dipped my toes into Euro and found it really wasn't for me, or that I would never get invested in it whole-sale. I definitely recognize that Buchla was kind of a genius and changed the face of synthesis and certain sectors of electronic music, but as for actual Buchla gear, the price tag has never struck me as reasonable. The same could probably be said of Moog gear though, too. I'd happily spend more time with an Easel, I got to mess around with one for a couple of hours, but I could never see myself dropping $5k on one.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MockingQuantum posted:

If it wasn't more than double my budget...

Actually that's not true. I may be the one synth-head I know who does not give a poo poo about Buchla stuff.
i for one have never wanted a synth that i need 2 diff sets of patch cords to play :shrug:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I don't care about buchla systems really, just always liked the easel. It's the sound of loads of old educational and public tv content. Every time there's a local synth meet and one of the guys bring theirs I spend most of my time with it.
BEMI is absolutely a bunch of chucklefucks though, that's what would give me pause.

In the realm of "reissues" the minimoog is positively a bargain in comparison. Wish the psu was internal but I'll never have one anyway so :taco:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I made the mistake of looking at that Buchla on my phone and now Facebook keeps trying to sell it to me.

Joke’s on you Facebook, I don’t have any money. (Sorry, salesgoon.)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
With my Digitakt having to go back I treated myself to a compensatory Minilogue which I picked up for a decent price. My Mrs has started getting into synthesis so I figured this would be a cheap way to learn synth for her, to improve for me, and to generally just have a nice sounding synth hanging around. The slimkeys are probably going to suck for her - she's a classically trained pianist so gets spergy about her keys - but we can just MIDI it up to her Roland digital piano and she'll feel right at home, only with a poo poo load more knobs to twiddle.

After all my hemming and hawwing about synths, I figure I made the best choice to cover the most ground without smashing the bank open. I'm gonna try and pick up a cheap BOSS RV-6 or Digitech Polara in the January sales to compliment its sound and give it some more room too.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I just got a TR-08 and it's loving sweet.

Thats the entirety of my post, thanks for reading peace onelove

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Korg is releasing the Minilogue in a limited edition with dark grey faceplate and it looks so good. I wonder if I should take mine off and take it to one of those places that do decals for cars. I'm sure they'd be delighted to take one something else for a change.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Korg is releasing the Minilogue in a limited edition with dark grey faceplate and it looks so good. I wonder if I should take mine off and take it to one of those places that do decals for cars. I'm sure they'd be delighted to take one something else for a change.

It's a crime they didn't release it in as wide a selection of colours as the monologue. A bright red minilogue would look rad.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I've been wanting to to make mine black. Classic black with the normal wood grain on the back, ever since I saw that the monologue was available in that color. Keep waiting for my work to send out a load of stuff to get anodized so I can squeeze mine in

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, my wood grain is pointing at the wall and I couldn't care less what color it is.

Anodizing certainly seems like the most elegant way to do it, but what about the lettering? For what I believe to be obvious reasons I'd like to keep my knobs labelled. Otherwise I'd just take a spray can to mine and see how that turns out.

And while I'm at it, these knobs could sure use a white line...

e: this has to be the ultimate in just loving around with the synth without actually making any music

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Spray can and a Dymo, for that early 80s look by way of Look Around You.

actually that's kind of a cool idea

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

you are supposed to put the stickers they give you with your useless eurorack gear onto the controllers of your useless eurorack gear

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
hey can you guys help me set my poo poo up? i'm a newb and am a bit confused.

so i have an arturia keystep, a moog minitaur and a digitakt. now it's supposed to be possible to play the moog with the keystep and then connect it to the digitakt, right? how would i do this?

i've managed to play the digitakt with the keystep and vice versa with the moog and the keystep, but i can't figure out how to play the moog with the keystep and connect it to the digitakt through midi.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

hey can you guys help me set my poo poo up? i'm a newb and am a bit confused.

so i have an arturia keystep, a moog minitaur and a digitakt. now it's supposed to be possible to play the moog with the keystep and then connect it to the digitakt, right? how would i do this?

i've managed to play the digitakt with the keystep and vice versa with the moog and the keystep, but i can't figure out how to play the moog with the keystep and connect it to the digitakt through midi.

keystep to the moog is one path: midi -> midi recieving synth -> mixer / audio interface

digitakt is its own path to the mixer/audio interface

so it depends on what you want to do. if you want to control the minitaur from the digitakt, or take clock, while also using the keystep, you can go from the keystep to the digitakt midi in, then the midi out of the digitakt into the minitaur midi in. the keystep should be set to channel 14 and the midi track (9 most likely, as it's the first midi track on the DT) on the digitakt set to whatever channel the minitaur is on. 14 allows the keystep to control whatever the active track is on the digitakt, so it will route the midi through to the minitaur when active. you'll also need to switch on the DT sending clock because I don't think it does by default.

or just do it all through USB in your DAW, which is easier, but less fun.

if you want to monitor the sound of the minitaur through the digitakt for resampling purposes (you can't affect it with fx or anything), then route the minitaur line out into the digitakt line in and enable audio monitoring. the minitaur will then be heard through the digitakt audio out

you should probably keep them separate unless you want to sample it though as you won't be able to easily eq the minitaur without adjusting the monitoring value, which isn't so handy

correct me if i'm wrong here folks, but this is how i route my minilab, circuit and digitakt together

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thanks man! i have more questions though since i have no idea what i'm doing, hah.

so now i them set up like you said, but the keystep only controls track 1. how do i change it to control the moog? also how do i enable sending clock?

i'm kinda planning on using the DT as an interface come overbridge and play everything through it to Reason. we'll see how it works out.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 2, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

thanks man! i have more questions though since i have no idea what i'm doing, hah.

so now i them set up like you said, but the keystep only controls track 1. how do i change it to control the moog? also how do i enable sending clock?

i'm kinda planning on using the DT as an interface come overbridge and play everything through it to Reason. we'll see how it works out.

i don't have a keystep to test, but p. 17 of the keystep manual shows that you hold down shift and press the corresponding key on the keyboard. that's how it works on my minilab too.

and for sending the clock on the digitakt, p. 54 of the manual shows that you go to the midi page, then to the sync page and you can turn clock sending and receiving on and off

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Thanks man, I forgot about that. I kinda skimped through the midi section of the manual since there was so much info to take in, hah.

Okay so I've got the keystep set up correctly now but the moog isn't making any sound? How exactly should i set it up from the DT settings? I've set up my keystep to only control the 9th midi channel, not the active channel.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Thanks man, I forgot about that. I kinda skimped through the midi section of the manual since there was so much info to take in, hah.

Okay so I've got the keystep set up correctly now but the moog isn't making any sound? How exactly should i set it up from the DT settings? I've set up my keystep to only control the 9th midi channel, not the active channel.

this video will probably be clearer to explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTnbtIK9lTg

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Thanks! I know have the moog set up in channel 9, the keystep is controlling channel 9 and the synth is reacting when I play the keys. Only problem is no sound through the digitakt.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Thanks! I know have the moog set up in channel 9, the keystep is controlling channel 9 and the synth is reacting when I play the keys. Only problem is no sound through the digitakt.

watch the first part of that video again, from about 0:15 to 0:35

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Hmm, I wonder how that works with the moog since it only has a mono out while DT is stereo.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Hmm, I wonder how that works with the moog since it only has a mono out while DT is stereo.

the DT samples in mono. just plug the line out from the moog into the left line input in the DT, turn on monitoring and set it to Ext. L.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Bit the bullet and bought a microKorg. 300 quid seemed like a pretty decent price, to be honest.

I remember the thread reccomending the MAudio Midisport interface since I work with MIDI more.

Any other reccomendations out there? I'm looking for an Audio interface with MIDI connection.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Bit the bullet and bought a microKorg. 300 quid seemed like a pretty decent price, to be honest.

I remember the thread reccomending the MAudio Midisport interface since I work with MIDI more.

Any other reccomendations out there? I'm looking for an Audio interface with MIDI connection.

I wouldn't pay $200 USD for one. They have a terrible interface and have been in production for 15 goddamn years. You would be better off with a Mininova or Bass station II. Or a monologue.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Ugh, I got my setup working. I had to redefine what midi channel the moog used. I feel so stupid, hah.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 3, 2017

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

AxeBreaker posted:

I wouldn't pay $200 USD for one. They have a terrible interface and have been in production for 15 goddamn years. You would be better off with a Mininova or Bass station II. Or a monologue.

This is not the same advice I got from this thread last time I asked about it nor what I read about online.

Are they really that bad for a newbie like me? I keep hearing they're okay and decent as simple controllers.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Its fine, plenty of musics i dont listen to have been done solely on a microkorg so just enjoy it.. oh lol 4 voice poly.. honestly people just buy jv1080s or whatever its just as cheesey but you get some room to move around with way more voices

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Uncle Kitchener posted:

This is not the same advice I got from this thread last time I asked about it nor what I read about online.

Are they really that bad for a newbie like me? I keep hearing they're okay and decent as simple controllers.

Hopefully you want to do more than just use it as a MIDI controller. If that's all you wanted, you can get a band new M-Audio with about the same range, just many controls, AND pads for £65. The Microkorg, which is still hovering ~$250 used w/shipping in the US, is a serviceable two oscillator digital modeling synth with a bunch of goofy presents. And, yes, a dumb user interface that is exactly like running a D&D game: you spend a lot of time going between the manual and a grid of tiny print to eventually make something happen. But they've held their value and you can flip it pretty easily if you want to move to something else.

So, in short... what do you want to use it for?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

After The War posted:

Hopefully you want to do more than just use it as a MIDI controller. If that's all you wanted, you can get a band new M-Audio with about the same range, just many controls, AND pads for £65. The Microkorg, which is still hovering ~$250 used w/shipping in the US, is a serviceable two oscillator digital modeling synth with a bunch of goofy presents. And, yes, a dumb user interface that is exactly like running a D&D game: you spend a lot of time going between the manual and a grid of tiny print to eventually make something happen. But they've held their value and you can flip it pretty easily if you want to move to something else.

So, in short... what do you want to use it for?

A starting Synth for a beginner. I already have a good Alesis controller, I don't really need another one. I just want something to make noise and record. I barely know enough about synths to get myself a Roland JX to be honest and the microKorg is good for my space limitation. No going for mono right now, not at my level.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Any 2-in-2-out audio interface which does not look like a mixing desk has MIDI connectors, so that's not the issue. The question is - how many inputs and outputs do you need, and what's your budget?

As for the MicroKorg - the Mininova has an equally (but slightly less) problematic interface, which was originally pioneered by Waldorf (Pulse, Micro-Q). You have 4 or 5 knobs that change function depending on the selected row of parameters. These parameters are usually related - i.e. attack, decay, sustain, release - but not all parameters neatly group under 4 or 5 knobs.

Ultimately, every LFO and envelope can be understood as a modulation source that can be routed to a property of an oscillator, filter or amplifier (and to get even more abstract, the difference between an LFO and envelope can be arbitrary as well).

For any non-modular synths, these things are hardwired; you generally don't even think about "hey this envelope does something with the amplifier", but "if I increase the attack, it takes a longer time for the sound to reach full volume" because you can mentally skip the "what is modulating what, and with which intensity" thing - that's already been done for you.

The fewer knobs available, the more tenuous this grasp on that structure becomes and with a machine like an Alpha Juno you're basically trying to paint the hallway through the letterbox.

What makes it even more challenging is that when the MS-2000 was released - the synthesis engine the MicroKorg was based on, with more knobs - was Korg's idea of what a sound could or should be. So it says 4-note polyphony, but it's a flexible configuration - sort of like the Mono-Poly. You can use two notes for 2-voice unison basslines on the left part of the keyboard, and 2 other notes for 2-voice unison melody. Lots of patches use this to their advantage so you get an arpeggio sound and a background pad, but it doesn't make things easier.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I'm thinking about selling my OP-1 as I can't integrate it enough to make it any more than a 900 buck novelty. I haven't really been able to do more with it than mess around and I find the synth engines unable to give me the results I'm looking for.

So I have a Minilogue arriving tomorrow, but with the cash injection from an OP-1 sale, I was thinking about returning it and picking up a Deepmind 12 instead and a Monologue/BS2 as a partner. The demos I've seen of it have been amazing at its pricepoint and I think it will sonically cover everything I want. Did anyone get one? How has it been working out for you?

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Plavski posted:

I'm thinking about selling my OP-1 as I can't integrate it enough to make it any more than a 900 buck novelty. I haven't really been able to do more with it than mess around and I find the synth engines unable to give me the results I'm looking for.

So I have a Minilogue arriving tomorrow, but with the cash injection from an OP-1 sale, I was thinking about returning it and picking up a Deepmind 12 instead and a Monologue/BS2 as a partner. The demos I've seen of it have been amazing at its pricepoint and I think it will sonically cover everything I want. Did anyone get one? How has it been working out for you?

You've got a monosynth on the way and you're possibly replacing an integrated sequencer/sampler/synth/fx/recorder with a polysynth/step sequencer/fx. Make sure you know what you want before you go all out on it. Is a 32 step sequencer enough for you? Do you sequence from something else so the synth having a sequencer is irrelevant? Or were you not using those features on the OP1?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Weed goku posted:

You've got a monosynth on the way and you're possibly replacing an integrated sequencer/sampler/synth/fx/recorder with a polysynth/step sequencer/fx. Make sure you know what you want before you go all out on it. Is a 32 step sequencer enough for you? Do you sequence from something else so the synth having a sequencer is irrelevant? Or were you not using those features on the OP1?

I sequence from the digitakt/Ableton push, so having an onboard sequencer isn't particularly important to me. The minilogue poly I'm getting today has a 16 step sequencer and the motion control stuff is interesting to me, but the DT can use conditional params to do similar stuff. And of course, Ableton automates nicely.

I never used the tape recorder on the op 1 for much more than messing around; it never inspired me the way I thought it would. Not being a traditional keyboardist, I underestimated how pattern based a composer I am. The recorder is a feature that demands more from the player than I can offer. The sequencer in the op 1 also never clicked with me and I find it a slow and tedious way to do something I fly through in Ableton or the digitakt. Ultimately, the workflow just doesn't work for me and I'm more traditional. I'm much faster at getting my ideas down and working when I'm at my daw. I also never managed to get workable sounds from the op1 despite having spent many hours with each engine. Its non-traditional forms of synthesis only stood in my way rather than opening me up.

I'm looking forward to my minilogue today as my first analogue poly, but the consideration is whether to take that poly to the next level as my budget will increase so I'm not restricted in choice the same way. The DM12 seems to give me a lot while also leaving me with breathing space for other investments.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
There are rumors that Korg will come out with a six/eight-voice version of the Minilogue with more keys at NAMM in late January.

I’d try to hold out on any major purchases for now unless you can get a really good deal. Winter NAMM has had crazy synth announcements every year for the past decade, and it always sucks to miss out on the new-newness.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

why the gently caress isn't the deepmind multitimbral

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Does it do key split? Alot of analog boards had that because its not a major hassle with voice allocation. It kinda exists in the timbrewolf right? I just dont think enough engineering and thought went into it in the past so behringer doesnt have anyway to produce low cost clone or maybe their house team couldn't figure it out

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
digitakt really needs a sample crossfade option for smooth repetition of samples and loops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Ruffian Price posted:

why the gently caress isn't the deepmind multitimbral

why the gently caress did behringer cut this corner :thunk: