Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Why are you complaining about weight of the rail when you've got a non-micro RDS (Aimpoint M2/M3?) on it? And I don't really care what the latest fad in guns/rails is, I just went with what was familiar; an M4 clone (with an Aimpoint Micro) on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Internet Wizard posted:

M4 barrel profiles are also dumb and pointless.

BCM's are good for the money, and once they release the lighter magnesium alloy version of the MLOK tube I'll be swapping it. Not gonna go up in weight just to switch.

I'd like to know more about that lever action

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pretty sure that's a BB gun?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That is some sweet wood on that Daisy.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

MLOK tubes are so svelte. Like this gun here, this thing is so light and maneuverable that it blows my mind compared to a bulky quad rail.

whats on top of your acog, iron sights?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah, it's a TA01NSN model, so it has rudimentary irons on top. I wouldn't pay extra for them and I've never actually tried to shoot with them, but hey a $500 ACOG is a $500 ACOG.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I was phone posting and didn't realize it was a bb gun but that is a pretty dope looking air rifle.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

Yeah, it's a TA01NSN model, so it has rudimentary irons on top. I wouldn't pay extra for them and I've never actually tried to shoot with them, but hey a $500 ACOG is a $500 ACOG.

how does an acog stand up agaisnt a 1-4x variable scope?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

An ACOG is gonna be lighter and more compact. They also tend to have shorter eye relief (for the TA01/31 lines anyways), which some people don't like. However a scope is going to have much more versatility, since you can go from far to up close in the same optic.

If you can find an ACOG for $500 (it happens sometimes), I think they're a great buy at that price. However when you get to their retail price of $1k+, lol I'd way rather get a good variable scope in that price range. A used Vortex Razor II 1-6x goes for $1200ish if you keep an eye out, and they're phenomenal, if big and bulky.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
where the gently caress did you find an acog for 500 smackers?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Hey rat, what kind of stock can I stick on a slant cut Norinco mak-90 so I can finally get rid of the thumb hole that I've had on it since I bought it in 94/95?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

where the gently caress did you find an acog for 500 smackers?

One was some group buy deal from TFR circa 2006, one was from the m4carbine.net classifieds in 2010, one was from a former teammate from my first contract. I know it's grossly out of the norm, but you can still get them for $600ish if you watch arfcom EE.

Syrian Lannister posted:

Hey rat, what kind of stock can I stick on a slant cut Norinco mak-90 so I can finally get rid of the thumb hole that I've had on it since I bought it in 94/95?

I haven't personally handled or messed with a MAK-90, but some googling led me to this adapter, which seems like a decent option: https://imgur.com/gallery/xy0gc
(The Iron Wood Designs stock set seems hella $$$ to me.)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Syrian Lannister posted:

slant cut Norinco mak-90

you poor bastard

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I really need to put wood on my 930 spx not sure if this is possible

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Smiling Jack posted:

I really need to put wood on my 930 spx not sure if this is possible

$160 for a stock and forend direct from Mossberg apparently:

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/shotgun-misc/84797-my-mossberg-930-new-stock.html

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

I also have a sks from the same time frame.

At least that one takes AK mags

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

About how cheap could I go for an AR that’s meant for home defense? Something where I’d at least be buying separate upper and lower but not building it from the ground up (just replacing parts individually if I felt like it later on).

Also something I don’t plan on running into the ground in 3-gun matches or intensive training.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

DoktorLoken posted:

Why are you complaining about weight of the rail when you've got a non-micro RDS (Aimpoint M2/M3?) on it? And I don't really care what the latest fad in guns/rails is, I just went with what was familiar; an M4 clone (with an Aimpoint Micro) on it.

Because an Aimpoint PRO is half of the cost and weight on the muzzle end of the rifle matters a lot more than weight on the middle and back end.

not caring here posted:

I'd like to know more about that lever action

It’s my Daisy Red Rider BB gun.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

About how cheap could I go for an AR that’s meant for home defense? Something where I’d at least be buying separate upper and lower but not building it from the ground up (just replacing parts individually if I felt like it later on).

Also something I don’t plan on running into the ground in 3-gun matches or intensive training.
How soon do you need it? You picked a really bad time for this, because all the Black Friday deals are over and everything is out of stock.

My default suggestions these days are:

Aero OEM rifle on sale for $500
Troy 13" M-Lok rail - $150
B5 Bravo Stock - $50

OR

Primary Arms Troy Upper on sale for $400 pretty regularly
Aero Precision Complete Lower - $200

AND

Aimpoint PRO <$400
Streamlight ProTac rail mount <$100
3x Magpul PMag - $15x3

You can drag the price a lot lower by waiting on sales and buying accessories used. For the red dot in particular, you can probably find better deals if you wait. There have been some nutso deals on micro red dots lately, and one of those on a riser could be a solid choice for a rifle you aren't planning to beat up and drag through the mud.

If you really want to keep costs down, you could always forego the dot entirely, and just use irons. The Troy Upper comes with them, and a set for the Aero would be another $100.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Because an Aimpoint PRO is half of the cost and weight on the muzzle end of the rifle matters a lot more than weight on the middle and back end.

It’s my Daisy Red Rider BB gun.

If you didn't go with a super expensive rail you could've bought an Aimpoint H-1. :smug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

How soon do you need it? You picked a really bad time for this, because all the Black Friday deals are over and everything is out of stock.

My default suggestions these days are:

Aero OEM rifle on sale for $500
Troy 13" M-Lok rail - $150
B5 Bravo Stock - $50

OR

Primary Arms Troy Upper on sale for $400 pretty regularly
Aero Precision Complete Lower - $200

AND

Aimpoint PRO <$400
Streamlight ProTac rail mount <$100
3x Magpul PMag - $15x3

You can drag the price a lot lower by waiting on sales and buying accessories used. For the red dot in particular, you can probably find better deals if you wait. There have been some nutso deals on micro red dots lately, and one of those on a riser could be a solid choice for a rifle you aren't planning to beat up and drag through the mud.

If you really want to keep costs down, you could always forego the dot entirely, and just use irons. The Troy Upper comes with them, and a set for the Aero would be another $100.

I’m not exactly desperate for one. I do have a Simmons red dot already that I can slap on if I really need one.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

DoktorLoken posted:

If you didn't go with a super expensive rail you could've bought an Aimpoint H-1. :smug:

I got the complete upper on sale :smugbert:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m not exactly desperate for one. I do have a Simmons red dot already that I can slap on if I really need one.
If it's meant for self defense, I would go with iron sights over a cheapass Simmons/Barska electronic sight.

The fact that you want to use it for self defense is what's driving the price into the upper three digits, rather than "lol I can make a complete AR-15 for $350."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 30, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If you really want to see how low you can go,

PSA Middy Stainless upper w/ BCG & CH - $250 & free shipping
Anderson complete lower - $140
Troy or Aero rear <$70
PMag $15

That's a complete gun for $475 plus shipping & transfer and you can get it today. I'd definitely shoot a few hundred rounds through it to make sure it works, but it would be a good entry level option if you really don't want to spend a lot. You'd also need to attach a light if you wanted to use it for self defense, so maybe another $75-$100.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLNnTzvSoc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

If it's meant for self defense, I would go with iron sights over a cheapass Simmons/Barska electronic sight.

The fact that you want to use it for self defense is what's driving the price into the upper three digits, rather than "lol I can make a complete AR-15 for $350."

What makes a $400 or less AR insufficient for home defense?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

chitoryu12 posted:

Money = quality = reliability, most of the time anyway. PSA isn't too bad, they're middle-to-low end these days. They used to be solidly in the middle, but are still a great choice, especially their deal pricing. Just make sure you actually test it out and put some rounds through it.

I'd get an Aimpoint PRO or a Holosun whatever, or even a Primary Arms micro dot, slap that on there, and then test it and make sure the thing isn't defective. Any of those in good working order is fine for the average dude to do anything with, and beat the hell out of iron sights in all conditions. A light is a must if you're gonna try and use it in self defense or in your dark goon basement or whatever like me.

With that said, I have a G19 with a light on it, and I'd pass up my ARs or other long guns for that in my house every time because I can open a door and keep good positive control over it, unlike my ARs :shrug: in TFR these days you'd get called dead in the hallway for that choice. most of the time the only thing loaded and accessible is what I've been carrying when I rarely carry anymore and that's probably a .357 mag LCR so I'm totally gonna die I guess

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

rifles posted:

With that said, I have a G19 with a light on it, and I'd pass up my ARs or other long guns for that in my house every time because I can open a door and keep good positive control over it, unlike my ARs :shrug: in TFR these days you'd get called dead in the hallway for that choice. most of the time the only thing loaded and accessible is what I've been carrying when I rarely carry anymore and that's probably a .357 mag LCR so I'm totally gonna die I guess

Is this really an issue? I've always felt that I'm not going to go clearing my house if I have to grab a gun, I'd just post up in the bedroom with the AR on the door and top of the stairs with 911 in my ear.

I mean lmao at least it's not the 26" barreled 870 with a ten shot tube I kept for an HD gun ages ago :haw:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It's not a matter of killed in the streets or whatever. A G19 with a light is a good choice. What people get at with regards to an AR for home defense is that it's the most effective in terms of ballistics, controllability and minimizing overpenetration.

You can keep good positive control on an AR by means of a sling.

But that said I'd rather have a G19 with a light than nothing. It's ultimately a personal choice with regards to your comfort zone, training, METT-TC, etc. Pick something, train with it, and hope you never have to use it. Training is a better use of time than internet debating over hair splitting topics, after all. (Not you, but christ TFR has been touchy lately.)

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

The Rat posted:

It's not a matter of killed in the streets or whatever. A G19 with a light is a good choice. What people get at with regards to an AR for home defense is that it's the most effective in terms of ballistics, controllability and minimizing overpenetration.

You can keep good positive control on an AR by means of a sling.

But that said I'd rather have a G19 with a light than nothing. It's ultimately a personal choice with regards to your comfort zone, training, METT-TC, etc. Pick something, train with it, and hope you never have to use it. Training is a better use of time than internet debating over hair splitting topics, after all. (Not you, but christ TFR has been touchy lately.)

If I read, much less hear, another loving handgun caliber debate I'm going to take a cut-down double barrel pistol and face-gently caress these goony motherfuckers with glitter-packed shot shell handloads.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not really a question of sufficiency, it's more odds vs stakes.

(Also, there is a difference between something that is $400 every day, $400 on a great sale, and $400 because it's used but still serviceable.)

The lower tiers in the AR market tend to be distinguished not so much by materials but by their finishing and QC. Improper staking of parts, canted sights, improperly dimensioned gas ports, chambers just barely within spec, nuts and fasteners loose or over torqued. (There is also sometimes a question of substandard small parts, but every company is so cagey about their suppliers these days that for all I know Colt is getting their springs and detents from AliExpress.) If you get a good one, it will be sufficient. If.

That $475 build I posted earlier would probably be just fine, but if I'm recommending something to a consumer who is asking for basic suggestions, I assume they aren't going to tear it down and look at its teeth (or gas rings), so I lean towards recommending brands that have a known track record of being good out of the box and are less likely to turn out a gun with lurking problems, especially when the consumer says they want something for self defense.

It's the same with optics, really: some people have seen good use out of Holosun or Primary Arms dots, but Aimpoint has been so good for so long that in a pinch I would feel OK using one without backup sights and just changing the battery every few years.

I wouldn't go below the $400 mark for an AR, because there you have to start asking yourself what they did to get the price that far below the floor of the normal market... And how you feel about that product containing an explosion next to your face as you defend yourself.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 1, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

If I read, much less hear, another loving handgun caliber debate I'm going to take a cut-down double barrel pistol and face-gently caress these goony motherfuckers with glitter-packed shot shell handloads.

thats what you get for reading tfr you gently caress

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I used to be a huge non-fan of 9mm. There's been a LOT of ballistic improvement since ~2000 when I last cared to look at it. Earlier this year I started looking at compacts because I was tired of trying to pretend a full-size 1911 was a good CC weapon. Had no interest in 9mm because all of my guns are a different caliber, and I wanted something that would share. Then I compared ballistics and found that a decent defense round in 9mm will perform perfectly fine. Then I compared prices, and holy poo poo ammo is like half the price of 45.

Now I have a 9mm Shield. And I can actually afford to practice with it. And still, none of my guns share ammo.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

everytime someone says something like '9mm is a pussy round that won't do poo poo' i ask if they're volunteering to let me try my sig on them

Also one of the constants of humanity is that people are retarded when it comes to gun caliber debate. I remember reading about the korean war and troops complaining about the lack of STOPPING POWAHH in the m1 carbine and as it turned out they were correct: .30 carbine that misses has no stopping power

PookBear fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 1, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

am I dumb for wanting to trade a sig 226 for a 228/229 both in 9mm?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

All parts ordered for my Bloodgun SBR AR upper rebuild. At least I'm keeping the same optic, light, later etc so it's not completely excessive :suicide:

Colt 11.5" socom thicc barrel, SLR assistance m adjustable gas block, Larue stealth 2.0 upper with 10.5" MLOK handguard.

Only really upgrading because I wanted smooth MLOK and not full quad rail.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

doesn't 556 start to get weird at barrels that short

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

10.3" is as short as I'd want to go. Shorter than that (like some of the gimmick 7.5" barrels) and you basically have an excessively loud 22wmr.

You're losing muzzle velocity the shorter you go, which also decreases the fragmentation range for regular ball ammo. But it doesn't matter as much for something made to be a house gun. And I haven't really felt limited at 3 gun matches with my SBRs out to 200-250m. It's the optic that limits me more than anything.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/11/gign-adopts-cz-806-bren-2-7-62x39/

This article says GIGN is adopting the cz bren in 7.62x39 to use with silencers and subsonic ammo to defeat body armor and this makes no sense to me.

"The decision to adopt the Bren 2 was the result of a process that began in 2015 after the Paris attacks in January that year. Faced with terrorists equipped with bullet-proof vests, French gendarmerie and police intervention units found that 9 mm weapons had little efficiency in such situations and that 5.56 mm ammo lacked the necessary stopping power.

The CZ spokesperson said that the GIGN identified a need for a new weapon able to fire a heavier bullet. The 7.62 x 51 mm caliber had the suitable characteristics but the weapons for this caliber were considered too heavy and bulky for efficient close-quarter combat.

Thus, GIGN decided to evaluate assault rifles chambered in the 7.62 x 39 mm caliber instead and undertook trials throughout 2015 with a variety of weapons."

i mean a silenced CZ in 7.62 sounds dope as hell but I don't understand how that is going to help them defeat body armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I'd assume they have to be using some special AP rounds, since subsonic means you can't rely on velocity to punch through.

Or their body armor threat is just soft pistol rated Kevlar.

Either way it's an odd choice.

That said I gotta stop being lazy and order some subsonic x39 for my suppressable AK to try out.