Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

When has Harley worn a mask

She's wearing a domino mask in that image three posts above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh lol i was thinking like a full face mask you y'all mean the eyecover thing my bad

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

When has Harley worn a mask

Skwirl posted:

Eye makeup simulates the domino mask, she's always had pale skin (because she's a clown wearing makeup) and pigtails are how you simulate the hood from the original design.

I think Jeanette Voerman was an early attempt at making a sluttier version of Harley Quinn.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What can i say those things don't register as masks in my mind

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

The domino mask is one of the most common types of masks in comic books, second only, maybe, to the cowl.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

did you think Harley was a raccoon or something

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
But, Domino doesn't even wear a mask!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

The domino mask is one of the most common types of masks in comic books, second only, maybe, to the cowl.

I mean i suppose you're right i just think of them as like eyewear/cover and not as a mask, so when it came up i was thinking that what was being implied was that the eyecover, face paint and lipstick were all one entire face mask and got confused

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

TwoPair posted:

God I just hate every Harley design since 2011. Like maybe her original BTAS costume doesn't work for her leading a solo cartoon, and especially for a live action movie, but there has to be some kind of happy middle ground between her OG costume and her current one.

I think I'm notably in the minority here, but I liked her Arkham costumes (well, Asylum's only works in that story, but her other ones). I think her Knight costume would work.

But frankly, nothing's been as bad as her New 52 outfit. It's like her Arkham City costume but just awful in every way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Arkham Harley Quinn costumes are an affront to God.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I always think VtMB came out way earlier than it actually did so yeah, it actually makes sense that Jeanette's design was more likely inspired by Harley Quinn than the reverse

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I like her Injustice 2 design, seeing her wearing the Bat on the back of her jacket is pretty awesome.

Also a big fan of the Bombshells design.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The problem is, the full bodysuit design looks like rear end in anything that isn't stylized like Timm's art, because it's impossible to not sexualize that to absurd degrees. It's skin tight, it's always going to be portrayed as something shiny, and it looks completely weird. You see that in her Knight DLC where they give her the old costume.

However, attempts to replace the costume are almost all invariably "let's slut it up", or they just abandon the whole harlequin design and go with slutty school girl. You see this in things like Suicide Squad or Arkham games, where they just go full on BDSM. Of course, Arkham has issues with all of their female characters, because they all get super sexualized designs. Apparently Ivy just can't figure out what to wear beyond her Arkham Asylum inmate uniform undone down to her crotch, for example.

I feel like, if you want to replace or change the costume, there has to be something in place of the headpiece that's not just hair. Maybe have the tassel things point back a bit, rotated towards the back of her head, so they don't make her face look comically wide. Keep the domino mask, it helps break up the whole white facial makeup thing. Toss on some pants that have puffed up bottoms maybe, like genie pants? Don't over design the upper body, but also don't make the hood cover her entire hair. Maybe let some of that show. I don't know. Just don't slut it up, that looks horrible, and don't remove everything of it entirely, that just makes the entire harlequin theme pointless.

If you make Harley Quinn look like a hooker or a sexy school girl, you have failed at costume design. Really though, I hate the pigtails design. Especially with colored hair. It looks dumb as gently caress.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

site posted:

Robin doesn't wear a mask?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm going to be honest, her Brave and the Bold costume is my favourite, but I doubt we'll see that. At least there's that Scooby-Doo movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

The problem is, the full bodysuit design looks like rear end in anything that isn't stylized like Timm's art, because it's impossible to not sexualize that to absurd degrees. It's skin tight, it's always going to be portrayed as something shiny, and it looks completely weird. You see that in her Knight DLC where they give her the old costume.

Horseshit. The only reason you can see her goddamn nipples through her costume in Arkham Knight is because the artist made that decision. There's dozens of 3D Spider-man games and several films out there and he doesn't look like he's got his costume painted on in any of it. There's even several thousand classic Harley Quinn cosplays at various comic-cons, and while a good deal of them deliberately amp the sexy factor of a skintight outfit, almost none of them end up as gratuitous as what you'll see in a video game. Unless you think this is a sexualized outfit:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 22, 2017

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I thought her Assault on Arkham outfit was pretty good.

One of the few Harley outfits I like.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Horseshit. The only reason you can see her goddamn nipples through her costume in Arkham Knight is because the artist made that decision. There's dozens of 3D Spider-man games and several films out there and he doesn't look like he's got his costume painted on in any of it. There's even several thousand classic Harley Quinn cosplays at various comic-cons, and while a good deal of them deliberately amp the sexy factor of a skintight outfit, almost none of them end up as gratuitous as what you'll see in a video game. Unless you think this is a sexualized outfit:

Don't let Roy Moore see that

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhonne posted:

The gently caress is going on with those pants?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

howe_sam posted:

While I like the outfit, the rest of the movie is very bad/horny.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhonne posted:

Well it's good to know she waxes, I guess.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Did... did you just try to imply I'm a pedophile?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I think Harley in general is pretty terrible outside of Batman the Animated Series

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I thought she was ok in the Injustice comic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kurui Reiten posted:

Did... did you just try to imply I'm a pedophile?

No, he said that you can do a non-sexy Harley Quinn costume, then provided one for an example. I don't know how you can read that so wrong.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought she was ok in the Injustice comic.

DEFEND YOUR POST!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Toshimo posted:

DEFEND YOUR POST!

I didn't say costume, I was responding to Harley being terrible outside of TAS. I thought he was talking about her character in general, since he said "in general."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rhonne posted:

How progressive, they didn't censor her vagina bones

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TwoPair posted:

No, he said that you can do a non-sexy Harley Quinn costume, then provided one for an example. I don't know how you can read that so wrong.

The fact he chose to do it with pictures of children seems a very extreme example, especially when I wasn't attacking his opinion of her costume.

Regardless, I still think Harley's classic costume usually looks rather dumb when you try to make it "realistic". I didn't say anything about visible nipples and poo poo, just that as a skin tight, form fitting outfit, it's inherently going to be made sexualized by movies and the like. Sure, you can do a non-sexualized version of it. It's just, DC or Warner Bros. aren't going to do that.

Samuringa posted:

How progressive, they didn't censor her vagina bones

I feel like that one could work if you pulled up the waist, made sure she had full pants, and covered the midrift with something. Maybe have the black parts of the shirt and pants be darker black, and have whatever she wears on her midrift be the same grey as the sleeves. The mask works pretty well, I like that design.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 22, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

The fact he chose to do it with pictures of children seems a very extreme example, especially when I wasn't attacking his opinion of her costume.

I just figured googling "harley quinn kid cosplay" would be the quickest way to bypass Jessica Nigiri type cosplayers.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

https://imgbb.com/

This isn’t the best costume or anything, but it’s a lot better than most, and with a few alterations can look like something an adult would wear...if she were crazy, but not “need to be hyper-sexy” crazy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, Brave and the Bold and maybe Suicide Squad are the only takes on Harley Quinn that give her a costume that goes beyond just riffing on the original B:TAS design and trying to sex it up.

I guess DC characters don't generally change their costumes much, but you'd think there'd be more directions to take.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not going to defend the Harley costumes from the first 2 Arkham games, but they look like someone had a decent idea and then was told "this is okay, but make it look more like lingerie."

I had to turn the Assault on Arkham cartoon off pretty quick, but that was just because of the dialog, not the costumes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like playing the first two Arkham games but the writing was only good ironically because it's like the worst ideas about Batman and all the characters turned to 11. except Oracle.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wId8XY6y_HA

:catdrugs:

I'm laughing my rear end off at Jason's design

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao, this looks so absurd. Can't wait.

site
Apr 6, 2007