Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My understanding is that the fleet power balancing stuff is to make losses more linear than they are today.

Imagine a fight between two fleets of equal power. Both sides, barring hard counters and such, would expect to take similar losses to the other. If both fight to the death, the "winner" would have very little remaining. This is fine and good.

Now let's say it's 10k vs 5k.

In today's system, the bigger fleet wins every time (as it should). However, it utterly destroys the lesser one, taking very little in the way of losses. Instead of losing about half its strength, it would lose 1-2k (10-20%), barring any hard counters, etc. If it were 100k vs 50k, the percentage of ships lost by the winner would be even smaller.

As the raw numbers get bigger, and as the difference in fleet sizes gets larver, the larger fleet takes correspondingly less damage. This snowball effect makes doomstacks literally the only viable option.

Under the new system, the fights would be a bit more in line with the power ratio. They're trying to counteract the snowball. The bigger fleet still wins, but would take heavier losses. If the 5k side fights to the last ship, losses on the 10k side would probably be closer to half--as would seemingly be indicated by their comparative strengths.

Of course the math is more complicated than that, and the ratios are probably going to be more fluid, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if there was still a threshold where things snowballed...but I think the idea is super sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Wiz, will stations contribute to the outnumbering bonus? If I'm facing an equal fleet plus an n sized station, will I get a bonus equivalent to n?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

that's an interesting point. you could really leverage the outnumbering mechanic when attacking starbases.

send an all corvette fleet with weapons good against bases (torpedos?). you're evading any L weapons they have, and you're below their nominal strength, so your effectiveness is highly multiplied...your actual combat power might be higher than theirs even though you're the one getting the bonus.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Honestly I just like the fantasy of your scrappy outnumbered fleet just charging right into the middle of their deathball and firing away cause everything you see is a target while the massive fleet has to check their crossfire and aim carefully so they don't end up just shooting each other.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eej posted:

Honestly I just like the fantasy of your scrappy outnumbered fleet just charging right into the middle of their deathball and firing away cause everything you see is a target while the massive fleet has to check their crossfire and aim carefully so they don't end up just shooting each other.

Today...is a good day to die!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eej posted:

Good news!

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I threw together a poorly labeled graph which should explain the new combat bonus.

The x-axis is the size of the smaller fleet over the larger fleet, the y-axis is the ratio of surviving ships from the larger fleet after the fight. Naturally, a 1-1 fight would yield perfect losses, and a 10-1 fight nearly no casualties for the winner.

Based on the 2 data points we have, I'm assuming that the outnumbering bonus to fire rate is 1-(smaller_fleet / larger_fleet).

The key takeaways are that a 2-1 engagement changes from 75% of the larger fleet surviving to 62.5%, and extremely close engagements are a lot more damaging to the winner.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 30, 2017

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Eej posted:

After hearing all the explanations, I guess I'll change my stance to neutral on disparity bonus.

But if there's a small scrappy fleet that flies into my much larger one, they also need to be facing my fully armed and operational death ball.

Edit: Also looking at the chart above I really hope that means friendly/enemy ai fleets will be more coordinated because taking significant losses at near even strength may cause issues with their warmongering.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 30, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Paired with the new retreat mechanics and the new combat effectiveness penalty with hull damage, though, the smaller fleet won't be destroyed by the engagement - it'll do some damage and then e-FTL away to home space, rather than fighting to the death. That leaves the larger fleet with not only the damage that was inflicted but also the extra maluses caused by that damage, meaning that it'll punch somewhat below its weight if it comes up against another undamaged fleet.

As I said, it could very well work fine. But this is a lot of new bonuses and maluses being tacked onto the existing combat system at once - it'll be real tough to get the numbers right the first time and there'll be a lot of potential for bugs and exploits. It sounds to me like defenders will be significantly more powerful, warfare will be slower and more cautious, and warring multiple enemies at once will be much more painful. Crisises will probably need a sizable buff.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The changes to armor and hull damage make Living Metal even more of a windfall to find.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

wiegieman posted:

The changes to armor and hull damage make Living Metal even more of a windfall to find.

We just need to make sure that the events that give the tech option actually work properly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

wiegieman posted:

And also regenerative playing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

man these dev diaries have me kinda wanting to play this despite the fact that its bad now

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

man these dev diaries have me kinda wanting to play this despite the fact that its bad now

It's actually really good. I can't stop playing

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yeah, it's not bad at all, it just might seem that way since all we've done since the announcement of Cherryh is talk about what mechanics could use improvement.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Nevets posted:

Yeah, it's not bad at all, it just might seem that way since all we've done since the announcement of Cherryh is talk about what mechanics could use improvement.

Yeah it's kinda highlighted how territorial acquisition is a bit blah, AI always dropping frontier outposts on my border to steal some dope resources is kill

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm a dumb noob about this game and can't tell what's going on in these dev diaries, but they sound kinda cool.

When is this big update happening? How will it effect current games? Will I need to start another game? I'd really like to come back to the game and actually finish my first playthrough soon.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I'm a dumb noob about this game and can't tell what's going on in these dev diaries, but they sound kinda cool.

When is this big update happening? How will it effect current games? Will I need to start another game? I'd really like to come back to the game and actually finish my first playthrough soon.

I have a feeling it ain't gonna come out this year.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

StashAugustine posted:

This is actually the best time to play, because it is before they ruin the game forever and you need to cancel your preorders.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Have they figured out how to make the game fun yet and/or make the text legible on a laptop screen?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
All I want from this update is an event where you have to destroy a planet to make way for a new hyperlane.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The text is perfectly readable on a laptop. I play on one.

It is impossible for Materialist empires to unlock psionics and psionic techs right?

Edit: with the exception of a few very rare anomalies and such?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 1, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I'd like an event where you destroy all of the hyperlanes in the galaxy, kicking off a desperate race to develop an FTL type that doesn't suck.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I can't find the button to release a vassal anywhere. Is there any way to get rid of a single planet in a exclave that I won't be able to reach once the truce runs out and they close their borders? I don't want it

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

gowb posted:

I can't find the button to release a vassal anywhere. Is there any way to get rid of a single planet in a exclave that I won't be able to reach once the truce runs out and they close their borders? I don't want it

Trade it away.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Artificer posted:

Trade it away.

Oh yeah thanks, I forgot that you can trade planets.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Actually I'll append that, I also want a start option to choose between hyperlanes and no FTL so people who hate hyperlanes can still have an option without ruining the game balance for everyone else.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Artificer posted:

The text is perfectly readable on a laptop. I play on one.

It is impossible for Materialist empires to unlock psionics and psionic techs right?

Edit: with the exception of a few very rare anomalies and such?

Practically impossible, yes. If and only if you get a leader with Psionics expertise, you can then unlock psionic techs. Getting such a leader is highly improbable, but not impossible. You can't rely on it, but it can happen. If it does, it is now possible for a materialist empire to pick the psionics ascension perks, if you haven't already picked the other. However, doing so also massively increases spiritualist attraction.

As an aside, I've once managed to get cyborgs who were latent psionics. I myself was playing as a materialist, who the conquered some Evangelizing Zealots who had picked the first psionic ascendancy shortly before our war. I then proceeded to impose cybernetics on the newly conquered pops. But that was also only the second game, in ~950 hours, that I can recall the AI picking any of the three paths

edit:

gowb posted:

It's been moved to the planet screen specifically, the first of the four IIRC.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 1, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if hit&run battleships with long range weapons will be useful in the next patch. Just a few of them so they get a solid fire rate boost to blast away some enemy ships in the opening artillery fire and using their health and armor to survive long enough to trigger the retreat. Causing damage without taking losses. I kinda doubt it, and it's all armchair theorycrafting anyway but you never know. :v:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Poil posted:

I wonder if hit&run battleships with long range weapons will be useful in the next patch. Just a few of them so they get a solid fire rate boost to blast away some enemy ships in the opening artillery fire and using their health and armor to survive long enough to trigger the retreat. Causing damage without taking losses. I kinda doubt it, and it's all armchair theorycrafting anyway but you never know. :v:

get a high level Trickster? I feel like the very first Admiral you hire will have a noticable influence on Doctrine and Fleet composition, meaning you will hire even more Admirals that complement those

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah you can't even research psi-drives via wreckage if you are a materialist empire unless you got lucky with the aforementioned Expertise: Psionics....somehow.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So this might be the full roundup of humanoids:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/936569537360785411

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Squats

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I like the cyclops.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

I like the cyclops.
Same. I also like the orc, and will enjoy killing the gnomes.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
While the immersion of the civilians mod is great, quadrupling the number of ships in the game is not... Next time I think I'll turn it off. Right now I'll continue my current game until I get a crisis. I'll save the galaxy and prove to all of these silly organics that they should just let me run things. Everyone will be happier.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Tiny civilian ships as sprites could be a nice little graphical touch without overloading the endgame.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nickiepoo posted:

Tiny civilian ships as sprites could be a nice little graphical touch without overloading the endgame.

I would be fine with little lights flying between planets.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

GunnerJ posted:

So this might be the full roundup of humanoids:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/936569537360785411

Pfft... back to the drawing board guys. None of these aliens are remotely sexy enough. Not spending my hard earned cash on cosmetic DLC unless I get to see some triple-boobied cleavage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Awesome! Now we've got Gnomes, Dwarves, Tieflings, and Orcs to go along with our Space Elves, Space Dragonborn and Space Humans. My dream of D&D-in-Space is ever closer to fruition.

• Locked thread