Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

how far back did the killcams go anyways? 10 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
about 20 seconds. Longer than I expected.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Bhodi posted:

Longer than I expected.
heh

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

they're also as desync'd as it was live, but I guess an inhuman lock on to a place without a person in it can also be suspect

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Tweak posted:

they're also as desync'd as it was live, but I guess an inhuman lock on to a place without a person in it can also be suspect

The :unsmith: feeling of watching a killcam from a dude that pulled off a lucky as gently caress headshot when you had the drop on them makes it feel a little bit better.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
jump punching someone to death when they manage to get a shotgun/gun before you has to be up there with some of the more intense moments in this game.

mike tyson uppercuts

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Lockback posted:

This is either exaggerated or I have been ridiculously lucky in not seeing cheaters over 150+ hours of play. I think the nature of the game in regards to latency (frequently people are not where they appear on your screen, and blood splatters doesn't actually mean a hit) as well as the general frequency of bullshit that is just the nature of the game means people will always think there's a cheating when there isn't.

I mean, for every BS headshot I am victim to, I deal out some ridiculous shot that was pure luck. I hardly ever see the run-hacks & invisibility & Wall-shooters I used to.

We played 5 duos yesterday and there were extremely obvious cheaters in two games. Like, guys bunny hopping around headshotting everybody.

For reference I've played for 750 hours or something

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mashed_penguin posted:

The :unsmith: feeling of watching a killcam from a dude that pulled off a lucky as gently caress headshot when you had the drop on them makes it feel a little bit better.

So far about 80% of my killcams in squad games have told me that it wasn't the guy who I thought it was and there was actually someone else I didn't even see who was just popping lead in my direction.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
After 2 weeks playing I've just got my first (solo) chicken dinner. It was actually my worst game as far as early loot goes - was running around with just a pistol and double barrel for ages, then at the ~35 player alive mark I finally found my third gun - an uzi.....

I thought I was hosed when I still had those guns and saw that the new destination circle at the ~20 player mark had almost gently caress-all in it, so I decided to drive down early and as fast as I could to one of the two groups of small buildings there so I could atleast defend myself well with my poo poo weapons (praying the whole way there that they hadn't been looted and had something good for once). First building I entered had an AK and I was able to deck it out quite well seeing as my backpack was stuffed full of attachments for almost every gun (including 4x and 2x scopes).

My only 2 kills were in the top 10, final kill actually happened when blue circle shrunk to nothing and the other guy died first (my bag also happened to be loaded with meds) but gently caress it, I'll take it.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Do squad kill cams show the guy who knocked you or the guy who finished you?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Congratulations!
This game is hard as gently caress.

Regarding cheating, I haven't encountered anything obvious in my ~60h of playing on the EU servers (mostly FPP).

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Also takes a lot of luck I have to say (when you're not someone like shroud anyway).

I got shot at (and hit) a couple of times early in that game looking for guns as I ran into buildings after driving up to them - I had poo poo guns (and have a GTX780 - which is a problem for this game) so I responded by waiting with my gun aimed at the door and hiding for a bit. Both times they could've easily hosed me by waiting for me to retrieve the car and gunning me down, or by just taking the car themselves, but both times they didn't, they just moved on (maybe they thought I'd be more skilled than I was since I had a car very early - the garage in houses a bit above watertown has never let me down for that a I have to say).

Also the last guy actually shot at and hit me when I stood up (crouched) to shoot at 2nd last guy. If he'd seen red mist from hitting me I'd have been hosed, he didn't though, I don't know what happened actually, but when he threw grenades a minute later it was clear he had no idea where I was.

One overall strategy that I've kinda built up (and like I said, only been playing 2 weeks) is this - prioritise getting a vehicle immediately if possible (use one of the online maps), when you get vehicle immediately drive to somewhere well away from flight path (even if still unarmed, but weigh desirability of location vs distance from flightpath because you won't be the only one to do this), hopefully loot some good gear in peace, come back into the game carefully, and know when it's time to ditch the car. This is a bad strategy if you are still learning how to shoot the guns but I never had a problem there (I also really liked using sniper rifles without scopes in BF3 so maybe I'm weird, I know I definitely like games without hitscan weapons).

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Fuzz1111 posted:

After 2 weeks playing I've just got my first (solo) chicken dinner. It was actually my worst game as far as early loot goes - was running around with just a pistol and double barrel for ages, then at the ~35 player alive mark I finally found my third gun - an uzi.....

I thought I was hosed when I still had those guns and saw that the new destination circle at the ~20 player mark had almost gently caress-all in it, so I decided to drive down early and as fast as I could to one of the two groups of small buildings there so I could atleast defend myself well with my poo poo weapons (praying the whole way there that they hadn't been looted and had something good for once). First building I entered had an AK and I was able to deck it out quite well seeing as my backpack was stuffed full of attachments for almost every gun (including 4x and 2x scopes).

My only 2 kills were in the top 10, final kill actually happened when blue circle shrunk to nothing and the other guy died first (my bag also happened to be loaded with meds) but gently caress it, I'll take it.

Some of my best games have been with terrible loot. I play with my brother in duos and this one game we just couldn't find any 5.56 ammo. We encountered a lot of players but couldn't risk giving our position away attempting to take them out because we didn't have the ammo to spare. Then thankfully a team rushed us and failed so we were able to loot them and win the game. Since then we laugh when we get terrible loot because we usually do better. The games where I spend 15 minutes in Georgepol looting is usually the games where I get Kar98k headshot from 500 meters out.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Two types of game for me. Solo that is.

Try hard I want to win games where I get headshot from across the map or hilarious clusterfucks where I drop at popular places and kill everything.

I know what I'm going to be playing until I get better at the mid game.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/pubattlegrounds/status/936542367196336129

Have they made any mention of how they will handle wanting to play the new map? I’m hoping it’s not luck of the draw where everyone leaves the loading area to re-que for the new map.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

puppy party posted:

Have they made any mention of how they will handle wanting to play the new map? I’m hoping it’s not luck of the draw where everyone leaves the loading area to re-que for the new map.

I haven't heard anything but if I was designing a game like this one I'd make it an option when starting a game, like in CS:GO. Like, check the boxes for acceptable maps, and they won't give you anything other than those.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

puppy party posted:

https://twitter.com/pubattlegrounds/status/936542367196336129

Oh man will that gun go in the pistol slot, and can it one shot kill with a body shot? That would be a big deal.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Gotta love new seasons and no MMR. This is my first and only round so far of season 6.

I guess I can never play another round of NA Solo TPP again now.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
You didn't even kill the last guy, bro. Pathetic.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I know, it was sad. He was stuck pressed up against the wall down in the prison and I was up top killing everyone else.

I did get to taunt him for his poor decisions over voice chat while we waited for the final circle though.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I haven't heard anything but if I was designing a game like this one I'd make it an option when starting a game, like in CS:GO. Like, check the boxes for acceptable maps, and they won't give you anything other than those.

I think having it random might be better than dividing each mode's playerbase in half yet again. after that initial shininess wears off I'm sure people will want to play on erangel still

I mean, that's assuming the new map isn't significantly better or worse from an objective standpoint

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hooplah posted:

I think having it random might be better than dividing each mode's playerbase in half yet again. after that initial shininess wears off I'm sure people will want to play on erangel still

I mean, that's assuming the new map isn't significantly better or worse from an objective standpoint

The desert map doesn’t have a bottle necked island to send everyone to half of the time with featureless beaches. As long as those skyscrapers don’t have fully accessible interiors we’ll probably be in pretty decent shape. I do hope, however that every game doesn’t come down to tree or cactus cover.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
They need to fix the end game circle algorithm.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Trivia posted:

They need to fix the end game circle algorithm.

How and why?

VulgarandStupid posted:

The desert map doesn’t have a bottle necked island to send everyone to half of the time with featureless beaches. As long as those skyscrapers don’t have fully accessible interiors we’ll probably be in pretty decent shape. I do hope, however that every game doesn’t come down to tree or cactus cover.

Standing too close to a cactus should damage you. Also it can’t be a desert without some sand dunes so hopefully there won’t be a bunch of flat open areas.

Edit: beaten.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 1, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I hope cacti do damage when you bump against them

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Syllables posted:

jump punching someone to death when they manage to get a shotgun/gun before you has to be up there with some of the more intense moments in this game.

mike tyson uppercuts

Less so, but also when you get a head on kill with a pistol against a guy with an assault rifle. I’ve only gotten a few of those, but they’re extremely satisfying.

Not counting lucky revolver headshots, that’s different. Still satisfying, though.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Well, to their credit they did tweak it a bit for the better, but so many circles still end up pretty central in the map.

I've talked about this with friends who play and an interesting idea was for the game to choose a spot at the beginning of the game, then extrapolate backwards with the circles and reveal them to the player as normal.

Whether or not this method would lead to worse cheating is a different topic (and would depend on how it's coded).

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Ok but what's wrong with the circles as is

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Bhodi posted:

I hope cacti do damage when you bump against them

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Less so, but also when you get a head on kill with a pistol against a guy with an assault rifle. I’ve only gotten a few of those, but they’re extremely satisfying.

Not counting lucky revolver headshots, that’s different. Still satisfying, though.

I won a mid-range duel with an uzi vs a guy with a groza the other day.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Salean posted:

not enough Zharki end games

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I wish it would end up at Stalber more often as well.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Salean posted:

Horrible map design in the southern island as well as half the games ending there despite being less than 1/3rd of the map area.

Tweak posted:

not enough Zharki end games

Pretty much

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Just got this game and whoof is that learning curve steep.

On my 10th match I finally found a car and made top 3. Which was entirely dependent on my car. I just drove to where I thought the circle would be 2 spots from now and gunned people down as they tried to run there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Really one of the biggest things to learn is where the gently caress the vehicle spawns are. That makes a huge difference.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Really one of the biggest things to learn is where the gently caress the vehicle spawns are. That makes a huge difference.

I found that map on reddit and my new early strat is to jump to a spawn for one and take it from there. Being able to go across any large opening and have a shot at surviving is easily the most important thing.

Does anyone have any tips for times when you have to run to the circle and dont have a car? Because if you aren't lucky enough to jump into the middleish of the starting circle it seems like you are doomed in the long run.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im sure someone has suggested it before but it'd be funny if the circle was impassable and just pushed everyone inward and if you get slammed into a wall or tree or whatever well too bad

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Or make it water with a current that pushes you into the middle

new item: surfboards

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

OxySnake posted:

Does anyone have any tips for times when you have to run to the circle and dont have a car? Because if you aren't lucky enough to jump into the middleish of the starting circle it seems like you are doomed in the long run.

Learn the car spawns or run along roads, even if it is a slight detour, in the hopes you find a vehicle.
Start moving early, especially for early circles and if you have to traverse open ground or you're at the far edge.
Shoot at people driving by and steal their car.
Stock up on meds and stay boosted if possible if you think you will take damage from the circle.
Stop to use a FAK if necessary. Remember it takes 8 seconds so plan accordingly.
Later circles, try to rotate along the edge (again, early) towards the space where blue and white are closest. The blue circle moves slowest here, allowing you to be more patient.
Pick your engagements carefully. You are likely to be under geared so don't go Rambo. Similarly, learn how to loot fast (but this is true regardless).

Lastly, take it in stride. I've won a number of games where we never had a car and had to run for every circle. But some games you just get completely circle hosed and there is nothing you can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Learn the car spawns or run along roads, even if it is a slight detour, in the hopes you find a vehicle.
Start moving early, especially for early circles and if you have to traverse open ground or you're at the far edge.
Shoot at people driving by and steal their car.
Stock up on meds and stay boosted if possible if you think you will take damage from the circle.
Stop to use a FAK if necessary. Remember it takes 8 seconds so plan accordingly.
Later circles, try to rotate along the edge (again, early) towards the space where blue and white are closest. The blue circle moves slowest here, allowing you to be more patient.
Pick your engagements carefully. You are likely to be under geared so don't go Rambo. Similarly, learn how to loot fast (but this is true regardless).

Lastly, take it in stride. I've won a number of games where we never had a car and had to run for every circle. But some games you just get completely circle hosed and there is nothing you can do about it.

That last one is important, I've both experienced and seen games where it looks like game over on landing, yet 10 minutes later the players are contemplating how the gently caress they survived that ordeal.

• Locked thread