Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We are getting rid of our exchange 2010 on-prem server and its six separate client company databases and moving everyone to O365 next year.

I have zero experience with 365. How is it really? Am I in deep poo poo here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MrMojok posted:

We are getting rid of our exchange 2010 on-prem server and it’s six separate client company databases and moving everyone to O365 next year.

I have zero experience with 365. How is it really? Am I in deep poo poo here?

No, that part is actually quite easy.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/o365e_hrcmoverequest_fl312271(v=exchg.150).aspx

Its basically as easy as moving from one exchange server to another on prem. It doesn't get stupid unless you want to move between tenants.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Thanks Ants posted:

In a similar vein, getting a ticket escalated because somebody else has "exhausted all options" and there's gently caress all information in there past the initial request.

I love getting tickets forwarded to me with "Please perform the changes in the attached document", with zero attachment.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sickening posted:

No, that part is actually quite easy.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/o365e_hrcmoverequest_fl312271(v=exchg.150).aspx

Its basically as easy as moving from one exchange server to another on prem. It doesn't get stupid unless you want to move between tenants.

Sickening, what I really mean is how is O365/exchange online to work with? None of us here has any experience with it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MrMojok posted:

Sickening, what I really mean is how is O365/exchange online to work with? None of us here has any experience with it.

Working with it isn't a whole lot different than using Exchange 2013 or later. The Exchange Admin Panel in O365 is basically just the EAC from 2013/2016. You are basically just using an Exchange server hosted on somebody else's stuff.

e: Obviously there is a lot more than just Exchange that comes (or can come) with O365, but my experience with those (Azure AD, Sharepoint, etc.) has been basically the same. Note that I do most of my work through powershell though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you currently administer Exchange through the admin console then it's a bit of a shift. Powershell is great, and there's a ton of TechNet resources to help you.

https://support.office.com/en-us/office365admin

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

thirding this O365 rocks, just learn to love powershell if you don't already and abuse the microsoft provided resources to tell you how to do things you don't know how to do.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Powershell the gently caress out of O365, it ties in just like AD and it's easy peasy.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I love getting tickets forwarded to me with "Please perform the changes in the attached document", with zero attachment.

Congratulations! You're done! Nice job on such a fast performance!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

You know, I can almost hear the eyes rolling when I get pulled into a conference call and the first words out of my mouth are "what changed?"

Spent half the day yesterday without email because a duo update hosed 365.

Spent half the day today in a conference call because of a big data failure caused by a windows server updating and blowing away an ephemeral configuration variable that never got flushed to permanent.

Both incidents took at least two hours longer to resolve than they should have because nobody understands that we ask "what changed?" for goddamn good loving reasons.

I loving hate that. Usually when me or my coworkers are pulled into a meeting it's because poo poo has well and truly hit the fan.

It usually takes a "ok it was working at X time, but verified as not working at Y time" *waves hands over each other* "so sometime, between X and Y, something had to change. So what was it?"

Then we get about 20 minutes of "why is it something we did?" and "We have a ticket open with the vendor, but since we cheaped out on support we won't get a response until tomorrow at the earliest."

Then FINALLY "well, all we did was update the config with some new settings and we pushed it at <some time after X but before Y>"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks guys. Over time we have gotten into the habit of doing most everything through powershell now rather than the EMC on our Exchange 2010 server. For my part, a lot of the powershell knowledge I've gotten from this very thread and a couple of the other IT threads on SA.

How is the uptime with exchange online, are there many outages, etc?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When it was BPOS it was a piece of poo poo, but most of the issues have been worked out now. What's important isn't really whether it ever goes down, it's whether you could achieve the same uptime for a budget less than $Texas.

Uptimes are here:
https://products.office.com/en-us/business/office-365-trust-center-operations

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MrMojok posted:

It shouldn't look any different to the end users at all except for a newer outlook client for most cases.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you do a hybrid migration then you won't even have the initial increased internet usage as everybody builds their Outlook caches back up.

I would obviously pay some attention to the requirements of all your email coming in via your internet connection as opposed to a server down the hall, I'm really not convinced of the benefit of things like ExpressRoute for Office 365 when it's designed to be accessed via the public internet. Faster internet makes everybody happier anyway and there's never any downsides to going quicker than you need to, other than having to pay for it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They are all getting it through the internet anyway. Our current exchange server is a VM in a datacenter in another location, and all the client sites connect to it through VPNs so there won’t be a lot of difference there.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I hear that Microsoft recently reverted, again, their stance on Hybrid deployments. First they were good and encouraged and you could get out of them, then they were alright we guess but there's no official method to leave Hybrid so here's a free copy of Exchange 2016 for you, to now apparently we support them again! So I'm gonna say if this is a route you are considering moving down, YMMV.

As stated earlier, uptime to O365 is substantially better than it used to be and likely costs less than the $Texas required to achieve the same on your own gear.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

You know, I can almost hear the eyes rolling when I get pulled into a conference call and the first words out of my mouth are "what changed?"

Spent half the day yesterday without email because a duo update hosed 365.

Spent half the day today in a conference call because of a big data failure caused by a windows server updating and blowing away an ephemeral configuration variable that never got flushed to permanent.

Both incidents took at least two hours longer to resolve than they should have because nobody understands that we ask "what changed?" for goddamn good loving reasons.

I wish you could see how often I ask this on conference lines and am met with nothing but dead air. It's hard enough to get the devs to admit to their own changes, but when the changes are on a dependency, good luck ever figuring it out.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I ask "What changed?"

The immediate reply is "nothing," every time.

(It's always something.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I swear we didn't change anything. All of the sudden left-pad just stopped working.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Change chat:

Got a notification we might be technically vulnerable to a Cisco vulnerability.
The notification says they're looking into a change to fix the issue.

So of course, everyone on the desk spends the next 5 minutes guessing what fun new methods of breaking the whole thing this change will have.

They've tested it on a lab condition and it had no service impact, so we're not going to notify customers before we update their instances!
(Thankfully, they're going to test on customers that are still in-build on production before they go ahead on an actual live customer)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mehall posted:

They've tested it on a lab condition and it had no service impact, so we're not going to notify customers before we update their instances!

Every time I've seen those two phrases put together, especially the "we're not going to notify customers" I get itchy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ConfusedUs posted:

I ask "What changed?"

The immediate reply is "nothing," every time.

(It's always something.)

This has happened at least 100 times in the past 2-3 years that I can think of and something ALWAYS comes out 4-5 hours after I've wasted my time because "Oh yeah, we did this change to a thing you have no access to or control over, lol we're so wacky"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I got a load of poo poo the other day because I wanted to make a change to something that was hosting an application, ran it past the person who owns that application, scheduled the change and then two days later they notice that it broke part of it. Motherfucker, I asked you because you're meant to know, and when you say "yup that's all gone through everything is fine" I kind of expect that you've done some sort of testing. I think the guy literally pinged the box and was like "looks good from here!".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mehall posted:

Change chat:

Got a notification we might be technically vulnerable to a Cisco vulnerability.
The notification says they're looking into a change to fix the issue.

We pushed an update to our Cisco APs last night. Out of 2250 or so, 190 didn't come back up. The last update was 144 had been fixed. One just came in saying 73 had been fixed. Uh oh...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://imgur.com/gallery/uHlkvDd

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

That's clearly valuable memory! Reinventory it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xsf421 posted:

I wish you could see how often I ask this on conference lines and am met with nothing but dead air. It's hard enough to get the devs to admit to their own changes, but when the changes are on a dependency, good luck ever figuring it out.

They had been at it since 4am, at least for that call, by the time I got pulled in. Apparently nobody thought to ask in the preceding 5 hours the most basic question of all.

And devs are the loving worst.

"We didn't change anything!"
- 2 hours of troubleshooting -
"All we did was rebase and push the entire stack for these 3 apps, but that wasn't supposed to affect anything."

I'm glad I have oncall coverage for the party next week. I'm drinking all the poo poo at whatever bar Dan and Bill are pouring at.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

HR would make you take it down because 'get what's coming to ya' could be taken as a threat, and everyone knows the IT guys and the mailman are always the first to snap.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Entropic posted:

Re: Mac chat, I’m sure I’ve told this story in the thread before...

At my last job we had a doctor’s office client where the head doc was a big Mac fanboy. Wanted all macs for everyone.

Trouble was, the EMR solution they were going with didn’t have a working OSX version out yet, only Windows. But a Mac version was going to be out any day now!

The fact that the Windows version still only worked properly with an outdated version of IE should have been a warning flag on that front.

Long story short, the head doc, against all expert advice got what he wanted, and the “temporary” (6 or 7 years and counting by this point I think) solution to get it working was for all the staff to have Windows 7 virtual machines (each of which required buying a Windows license) on their expensive Macs.

The head doc was so dead set against Windows that he ended up forcing everyone to use Windows in the most expensive way possible.

Was the EMR Nightingale by chance? Because that sure is a...uniquely backwards product.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The CE is going to poo poo a brick.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

If you do a hybrid migration then you won't even have the initial increased internet usage as everybody builds their Outlook caches back up.

Sure, until they login and sync all their o365 mail that was previously cached locally.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can’t you set policy to only sync like 7 days or something?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Sure, until they login and sync all their o365 mail that was previously cached locally.

The local cache should stay consistent after migrating their mailbox in hybrid mode.

GreenNight posted:

Can’t you set policy to only sync like 7 days or something?

You can, or turn caching off entirely.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Blue_monday posted:

Was the EMR Nightingale by chance? Because that sure is a...uniquely backwards product.

Got it in one. :toot:

I'm not sure any good EMR software exists, I've certainly never met a doctor who likes theirs.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Every time I've seen those two phrases put together, especially the "we're not going to notify customers" I get itchy.

Yup! Thankfully we have in build customers in the production environment to try it on and find out how much i should be worried.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Weird, page number with a 5 on it is the same combination I have on my luggage!

(I just wanted to post on this page).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Entropic posted:

I'm not sure any good EMR software exists, I've certainly never met a doctor who likes theirs.
There's some pretty sweet numbers buried in the yearly KLAS data, if you go deep enough.

For at least one of the major EMRs, the percentage of doctors happy with their experience has been going up year-over-year for a few years now.
...at slightly less than the rate the happiness percentage of "analysts" (i.e. people who configure the system) has been going down :ssh:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Entropic posted:

I'm not sure any good EMR software exists

It doesn't. All straight dogshit.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

EMR is all poo poo, but dental-related EMR is Taco Bell poo poo.

God drat I hate dealing with all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Stop me when you’re triggered

Dentrix
Softdent
EZDental
Patterson
Eaglesoft
Dexis
Gendex