Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sounds pretty similar to Dungeon Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've played similar games before and they all end up pretty repetitive and grindy :/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, quick question, is Dragon Quest Heroes a Dynasty Warriors game or not? I gave the demo a shot and since it had me in an open plain without a large collection of baddies to smash and I had to wander around to find them I thought I should ask. Is it a Dynasty Warriors game with a Dragon Quest coat of paint like Hyrule Warriors or just a real time action Dragon Quest game that'll occasionally ask you to fight 20 chainines in a group?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

It’s a Warriors game but I find it slow and relatively boring.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also, I slightly misspoke, I tried the second one. I don't know if that's just a case of bad tutorial zone or what.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The second one is more actiony and combaty. The 1st one is more of tower defensey.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

The second one is more actiony and combaty. The 1st one is more of tower defensey.

It's me playing a game series with controls I'm not familiar with for the first time- I only just got a PS4 like, 4 days ago and only just hooked it up yesterday- so I didn't really know what to thing, since they give you a big area to run around with and get your rear end kicked by buff monsters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, DW games differ from a little to a lot depending on the game. Dragon Quest is on the slower side with no auto-run or horse, and cancelling moves is kinda non-existent. It's way more rpg than most of the other games, less about combos.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
It's definitely more for Dragon Quest fans than it is for musou fans.

I kinda wished they would just release a DLC that was basically just a remake of Dragon Quest. They have pretty much all the assets there already.

Also while I'm here I guess I should ask how Fire Emblem Warriors is? I have a Switch but my only real knowledge of anything Fire Emblem is the characters in Smash Bros Melee. I had a blast with Pirate Warriors 3 despite not knowing anything about the source material, would this be the same way?

bentacos fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 1, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's Hyrule Warriors but better. Improved mechanics, better AI, no Fi, dumb anime storyline, no garbage giant bosses, no Fi, tons of content, no Fi, and no Fi.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

bentacos posted:

It's definitely more for Dragon Quest fans than it is for musou fans.

I kinda wished they would just release a DLC that was basically just a remake of Dragon Quest. They have pretty much all the assets there already.

Also while I'm here I guess I should ask how Fire Emblem Warriors is? I have a Switch but my only real knowledge of anything Fire Emblem is the characters in Smash Bros Melee. I had a blast with Pirate Warriors 3 despite not knowing anything about the source material, would this be the same way?

I like FEW, but I feel its a bit too heavy on micromanagement. Having to juggle the leveling, outfitting, and indirect battle control of up to eight characters, plus the direct battle control of four of those eight, is kind of a hassle. The story's super generic, though, and even if you're new to Fire Emblem you shouldn't be too worried.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Takoluka posted:

It's Hyrule Warriors but better. Improved mechanics, better AI, no Fi, dumb anime storyline, no garbage giant bosses, no Fi, tons of content, no Fi, and no Fi.

Well, there's still one giant boss.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Honestly, I hated playing Wizzro and Cia a lot more than Fi.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Death Zebra posted:

No more police brutality from Zhuge Dan:(

That's some bullshit right there

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Fire emblem's cast is better than zelda in that none of the characters feel completely worthless but very few of them feel fun and unique like zelda's best.

There is micromanagement with multiple characters but it's not too intense. The maps are big enough and full of enough generals that you'll need to take advantage of it though. Sometimes allies will run half way across the map for whatever reason so you have to leash them. The adventure mode equivalent isn't nearly as fun, but it also doesn't force you to use dreadful gameplay designs like Fi etc so that's an improvement.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Fire emblem's cast is better than zelda in that none of the characters feel completely worthless but very few of them feel fun and unique like zelda's best.

Also, a lot of them (mostly the mounted characters) feel slippery and awkward to use, but maybe that's just me.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The horses were fine for me, but pegasus knights can be a little annoying. Their combos shred stun gauges though and critical strikes are ridiculously overtuned so they don't really suffer too much in killing potential. Between that and pair up tag attacks/support attacks most any character pretty easy to win with to be honest

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The horse mounted characters feel fine to me, hate playing as the fliers though

The dlc this month is supposed to add Oboro and Azura as infantry lance users

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Well, there's still one giant boss.

Yeah, but it feels like a big general and not the loving Psycho Gundam or, God help us, The Imprisoned.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
If computer AI gets annoying you can always force them to guard a random fort. I've done it to Frederick a few times, man just loves to bum rush enemy commanders, especially when they're mages that rip his tiny resistance to shreds

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Generally the most useful thing for multi-character type games is to send a unit to the next location/boss/defense objective while you're finishing up your own area.

Also like half the roster share the same movesets, so it's not exactly a major shift of gameplay for most characters.

Literally all the archers play the same.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Lissa is weirdly good and fun and the only infantry axe user

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ambivalent posted:

Lissa is weirdly good and fun and the only infantry axe user

Lissa's C5 is the best.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6G1YjkKZow
What is this I cannot even

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sailor Zhao Yun so what

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I still don't get why Zhao Yun is the face of the series in Japan; he's not even the prettiest boy, he's just kind of generically attractive and dull as poo poo.

At least with Basara, Yukimura has an actual personality (LORD SHINGEN! :byodood:)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Keeshhound posted:

I still don't get why Zhao Yun is the face of the series in Japan; he's not even the prettiest boy, he's just kind of generically attractive and dull as poo poo.

At least with Basara, Yukimura has an actual personality (LORD SHINGEN! :byodood:)

When you're so important that the Lord of Benevolence tosses a baby because he can make another baby but not another you, you get to be the poster child of whatever the hell you want.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That track is actually dope though.
I hope it's in the game. If not present as a selectable combat theme then at least be the into theme.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

That track is actually dope though.
I hope it's in the game. If not present as a selectable combat theme then at least be the into theme.

It is such nondescript, formulaic buttrock for the franchise, that if it's in the game or not I don't think I'll notice.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Keeshhound posted:

Well, he's got a spear, and the face of Samurai Warriors is Yukimura Sanada, who's signature weapon is also a spear, so maybe it's something to do with spears.

They also look similar to each other as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spears and headbands seem to be the secret ingredient.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Keeping your spear polished is also important. It's an underrepresented aspect, in fact.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

like 95% of all japanes games and anime are based around a generic guy who is dull as hell

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

America glamourizes the rugged unwashed cowboy who is borderline alcoholic

From what I understand watching anime and kpop, the east glamourizes the clean skinny boring pretty boy who is also secretly very strong?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lu Bu is the face of Dynasty Warriors worldwide and that's all that matters.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Lu Bu is the face of Dynasty Warriors worldwide and that's all that matters.

:yeah:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Max Wilco posted:

Well, he's got a spear, and the face of Samurai Warriors is Yukimura Sanada, who's signature weapon is also a spear, so maybe it's something to do with spears.

They also look similar to each other as well.

It's very clear when they made Samurai Warriors 1 it was Dynasty Warriors Japan edition. Yukimura can be said to have grown and changed as Samurai has also gone it's own way in terms of playstyle. While Zhao Yun has stayed as is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I reinstalled One Piece Warriors 3 because I felt like playing a Warriors game and remembered that I was almost done with the story mode...and then promptly discovered that the game didn't actually have steam cloud support.
loving hell.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/938734805000343553

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How popular is Dynasty Warriors in China anyway?